The term of office for the current Gaden Tripa has finished. He has successfully finished his term. He has the title now of His Holiness Gaden Trisur Rinpoche Jetsun Lungrik Namgyal. He primarily resides in France although he has a ladrang in Gaden Shartse, Nepal and Yangthing, Tibet.
Gaden Tripa-Gaden throne holder Gaden Trisur-Gaden’s ex-throne holder Emeritus
Gaden Trisur Rinpoche belongs to the Dokhang Khangtsen house of Gaden Shartse Monastery formerly. He studied and received his geshe degree in Gaden Shartse. Later he became Gaden Tripa. Gaden Trisur Rinpoche has never journeyed to Gaden Shartse Monastery to swear in or take a oath that he gives up Dorje Shugden. In a stunning turn around, he has officially left Gaden Shartse Monastery and joined SHAR GADEN MONASTERY similar with other elite lamas such as Trijang Rinpoche and Dromo Geshe Rinpoche recently.
Gaden Trisur’s household (ladrang) all together with H.H. Gaden Trisur Rinpoche have joined Shar Gaden Monastery. It is a stunning and ‘shocking’ move as Gaden Trisur Rinpoche is a very high ranking Lama within the Gelug hierarchy. Gaden Trisur’s assistant was sent to speak with the current Gaden Shartse Abbot that he is leaving Shartse Monastery and joining Shar Gaden. It is exactly what happened to Trijang Rinpoche and his ladrang in Gaden. So two big ladrangs from Shartse has left and joined Shar Gaden.
Gaden Trisur’s throne that is in Shartse will remain in Shartse just like Trijang Rinpoche’s throne although he has left Shartse Monastery completely. H.H. Gaden Trisur Rinpoche was the student of the previous Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang. This eventful move will embarrass the Tibetan Government in exile and also ‘teach’ them a lesson. That not everyone is afraid of them and there are high ranking lamas who will stand up for what they believe. With time, more and more monks will defect to Shar Gaden Monastery because they remain loyal to their lineage, lamas, and practices.
In Sera, Gaden, Drepung, Tashilungpo, Gyuto and Gyurme Monasteries take a fake oath as they put it to temporarily quiet down the Tibetan Government and their unjust/undemocratic persecution of Dorje Shugden devotees. They stand up in front of the congregation (if they don’t, then expulsion from the Monastery) and read the words that ‘swear’ they abandon Dorje Shugden and will not be associated with Dorje Shugden followers in any manner. The monks say they just read the words and do not feel anything from their heart. It is pure persecution. Many monks dare not say or speak out against the Tibetan government, but they are in that opinion. With Gaden Trisur’s recent move, it will give strength to many who are persecuted up till today.
ADDITIONAL CONFIRMATION: Tuesday Jan 26,2010
Half hour ago, a phone call was made to H.H. Trisur Rinpoche’s personal assistant to confirm their entry into Shar Gaden. Trisur Rinpoche’s personal assistant replied a firm YES.
His Holiness Gaden Trisur Rinpoche Jetsun Lungrik Namgyal who was the 101st Throne Holder of Tsongkapa HAS OFFICIALLY ENTERED SHAR GADEN MONASTERY and left Gaden Shartse Monastery! He openly practices Dorje Shugden now!
He gives us so much strength, hope and inspiration. We thank H.H. Trisur Rinpoche from the bottom of our hearts. With tears streaming down my face as I type this to everyone here. H.H. Trisur Rinpoche’s assistant said that he went to meet Gaden Shartse’s current abbot and told the abbot that their province in Tibet, their lamas, their lineage, their monasteries in Tibet all practice Dorje Shugden and that they would not be able to give up the practice.
H.H. Trisur Rinpoche CANNOT GIVE UP THE PRACTICE OF DORJE SHUGDEN. H.H. TRISUR RINPOCHE COMPLETED HIS 7 YEAR TERM OF OFFICE AS GADEN TRIPA (HEAD OF GELUG) AND NOW THAT HE IS A TRISUR, he will resign from Gaden Shartse Monastery and join Shar Gaden Monastery. H.H. Trisur Rinpoche had to wait this long until the term of office as Gaden Tripa completed to MAKE THIS MOVE BECAUSE IF HE HAD MADE THIS MOVE EARLIER, THE DALAI LAMA WOULD HAVE REMOVED HIM FROM OFFICE. And that would not be good for the Gelug on the whole. NOW THAT HE HAS FINISHED HIS TERM, HE CAN DO WHAT HE LIKES. NO ONE CAN TOUCH HIM, DISTURB HIM OR DISGRACE HIS POSITION. INCREDIBLE PLANNING. THIS WAS RELAYED BY HIS PERSONAL ASSISTANT!.
H.H. Gaden Trisur Rinpoche is residing in France currently but there are rumours he might visit Shar Gaden this year. Let’s hope H.H. Trisur Rinpoche makes a historical visit to Shar Gaden. That would make a further huge statement. The Tibetan Govt has been silent. No comments so far whatsoever. The abbot of Gaden Shartse had nothing to say unsurprisingly. The new abbot of Gaden is said to have no strength and will power. The new abbot is VERY FRIGHTENED of Dalai Lama and Tibetan Govt it is very well known.
Video of H.H. Gaden Tripa
Article extracted from the Forum: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=567.0
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: January 27, 2010
I have heard the following information about H.H. Gaden Trisur Rinpoche from very reliable and close friends:
1. He is a ‘no nonsense’ lama. Yes is yes, and no is no.
2. He is very direct, open and straightforward.
3. He is staunchly loyal toward H.H. Trijang Rinpoche.
4. He will not go along with the rules just because they are rules. He will think about it and speak up if necessary.
5. He looks strict, but actually he is direct.
6. He was unhappy with the Dorje Shugden ban, but kept quiet all this time, and refused to go to swear in at Gaden Shartse Monastery. He wanted to speak out, but he thought about the sanctified position of Gaden Tripa, so thought it would be better for him to finish his term, and speak up when he was an ‘ordinary’ monk again with no position. Then, if the Tibetan Government ‘attacked’ him, it would just involve him as an individual, and no harm would come to the position and create undue unnecessary problems for the Gelugs on the whole.
7. Gaden Trisur Rinpoche has a large ladrang with land in Gaden Shartse Monastery; it conveniently borders with Shar Gaden Monastery. His ladrang is right next door to Shar Gaden, separated by one wall only. When Shar Gaden Monastery had a series of teachings recently (in 2009 / 2010), all of Trisur Ladrang’s students attended.
8. Gaden Trisur Rinpoche is also raising funds and spending his own funds to improve and offer needed items to his provincial Monastery in Yangthing Tibet. He has recently sent a large set of Tsongkhapa images from Nepal to Yangthing.
9. Before the separation of Shar Gaden from Gaden Shartse Monastery, the Dalai Lama refused to select any candidates from Dokhang Khangtsen (house) for the Abbotship because they were all loyalists to Dorje Shugden. There were 300 monks in Dokhang Khangtsen. No monks from Dhokhang Khangtsen – and there were many very qualified monks – were to be selected to be the abbot of Gaden Shartse. Later, these same monks separated from Gaden Shartse to form Shar Gaden Monastery.
Gaden Trisur Rinpoche hails from Dokhang Khangtsen of Gaden Shartse Monastery. But he kept his practice quiet, so the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan government did not know his loyalties.
The abbot selection these days are not by meritocracy but determined by whether you will fall in line with the Tibetan Government’s policies, specifically in relation to the Dorje Shugden ban. It is clear that the abbots selected today by the Dalai Lama must fall in line with his policies. Those that dare speak up are told openly and directly to resign. Both the previous abbots of Gaden Jangtze and Gaden Shartse were told openly to resign [in 2009]. The Dalai Lama told them in a meeting that they are double headed, which meant that they support quietly the Dorje Shugden loyalists in their monastery.
10. Late last year, when the Dalai lama went to Gaden Monastery to do openings of Gaden Shartse’s debate courtyard, H.H. Gaden Trisur Rinpoche did not attend, citing leg problems. His absence during the Dalai Lama’s visit was obvious and bluntly clear.
When the Dalai Lama sat on the throne at Gaden Shartse debate courtyard, he announced to everyone present that he would not be conferring any teachings to any monks at Gaden Shartse because some were still practicing Dorje Shugden and he was not pleased with them. He stayed only a short while and left. Many of the Gaden Shartse monks related that were very hurt, scared and disappointed, but they dare not speak up for fear of expulsion or ostracism.
This opinion piece has been extracted from the DorjeShugden.com forum. Please add to the discussions on the forum if you have further perspectives, comments and thoughts. We always welcome debate and exchange. The original thread can be viewed at http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=567.0