(This article below was emailed to www.DorjeShugden.com from Yeshe Sangye, an ex-FPMT member. His views do not necessarily reflect this website’s views. Nevertheless his thoughts are logical. It would be helpful to read. We at www.DorjeShugden.com strongly condemn this letter from the United Front of the Tibetan People, and any sort of threats or violence from anyone. Admin)
If you go to Adar Tsering’s Facebook page, you can read what Kangchen Amdo has posted (see Appendix A below). He is quite fanatical. Like all pro-Dalai Lama practitioners, he rehashes their version of the past and present. But it is important to read because pro-Dalai Lama practitioners always accuse pro-Shugden groups as a physical threat to Dalai Lama which is wholly untrue.
It has come to my attention that a letter from The United Front of the Tibetan People has been mailed out, and it is from radical Tibetans who threaten some sort of ‘violence’ towards the 37 persons listed in the CTA’s website. This is not something unheard of – as you can see at the protests, the pro-Dalai Lama Tibetans are vulgar, rude, violent and hostile, and need to be restrained by police at each venue. If you also recall, violence had previously erupted in Gaden Monastery against Dokhang Khangtsen, where a riot was held by the lay people and incited by the CTA, which caused the split of Gaden Shartse Monastery and the formation of Shar Gaden Monastery.
The attack on Trijang Rinpoche’s main assistant Chonze-la was also very violent. The attackers beat and sliced up the 80-year monk simply because he practices Shugden. Trijang Ladrang and Shar Gaden monks have received numerous threats both written and verbal, and the police near Shar Gaden are very aware of this. The administrative monks of Shar Gaden are very used to threats and keep a close relationship with the local police, who are aware. Shugden people are always under threat of violence instigated by the CTA.
Let’s not forget the recent hostile take-over of Dromo Geshe Rinpoche’s monastery in North India where the pro-Shugden monks were forcibly and violently evicted by the pro-Dalai Lama supporters. If these monks did not vacate, they would have definitely suffered violence.
This letter from The United Front of Tibetan People may be the first in the English language but for over 20 years, many similar letters in Tibetan have been received by Shugden monasteries on a regular basis. Dagom Rinpoche moved from Drepung Gomang Monastery to Nepal due to the anti-Shugden monks’ throwing stones and breaking his windows. The current incarnation of Pabongka Rinpoche never steps foot in South India or his home monastery of Sera Mey Monastery. He resides in Nepal, travelling often to Tibet for meditational retreats. Pabongka Rinpoche had many threats and stones thrown at his residence also. Trijang Rinpoche regularly receives death threats hence he resides in Vermont, USA and not India. Even presently Trijang Rinpoche receives threats sent to Vermont hence security around him is tight at home and when traveling.
Kundeling Rinpoche and his students live in a remote part of South India in an undisclosed location because of the violent stone-throwing attacks he has suffered while travelling or living in his previous location of Bangalore. Gangchen Rinpoche, Gonsar Rinpoche, Yongyal Rinpoche and many other lamas have been receiving death threats since the ban began. They are on the top of the list posted by the CTA as people ‘against the Dalai Lama.’ Geshe Kelsang Gyatso’s picture is spat upon by the pro-Dalai Lama group and he has been ex-communicated from his home monastery of Sera Jey and his only ‘crime’ is practicing Shugden. The Dalai Lama in public talks to Tibetans has disparaged Geshe Kelsang Gyatso on several occasions. Perhaps to the non-Tibetan world, this letter may come as a shock, but it is commonplace within the Tibetan communities. Only this time it is in English and you can see the violence of the pro-Dalai Lama fanatics.
This letter from The United Front of Tibetan People should be:
- Circulated so it creates awareness of the violent threats to the Shugden people especially in India, Nepal, Tibet and Bhutan. I do not think this threat is to Western Shugden people or members of the New Kadampa Tradition (NKT) per se.
- A copy should be made and forwarded to all police near the Tibetan settlements throughout India, Nepal and Bhutan. Copies should be sent to Tibet if possible. The police near Dromo Geshe’s monastery, Shar Gaden, Serpom, and Dharamsala (where the CTA is based) especially should be informed.
- The administrators of Shar Gaden Monastery did not doubt the authenticity or the relevance of the letter once it was translated to them as they previously and regularly received letters of this nature. In fact the monks said it is good as this letter is in English and therefore easy for them to report to their local police.
- This letter will prove to the world and the CTA supporters how violent the anti-Shugden people are. It was somewhat difficult to prove in the past as most letters were in Tibetan and circulated within the Tibetan settlements of India. Many Tibetans are not familiar with social media so more awareness could not be drawn to the letters.
- If Western organizations such as NKT are in receipt of this letter, it would not be a direct threat to NKT or the protests. The Tibetan leadership would never dare to directly threaten Western organizations for fear of bad press, and that would extend to the Tibetans living abroad. It could perhaps be warning NKT to stop supporting the Tibetans who are practicing Dorje Shugden and their monasteries? A warning to them to stop supporting the Shugden Tibetans, or they will take action against the many Tibetan monks and lay people who have recently been showing up at the protests together with NKT. The Tibetan participation in the peaceful protests angers the anti-Shugden Tibetans who feel they are traitors. These Tibetans who have attended the peaceful and effective protests have received death threats also. Again, due to language and social media difficulties, only some of it is filtered down in English for us to understand.
- Certainly the police near or in the Tibetan settlements of India and Nepal will not waste time deciphering whether the letter is authentic or fake as they have seen much violence against the Shugden people within the communities. This letter to them will be taken seriously (as I have been informed by friends in the monasteries), and thus it also grants extra protection to the Shugden monasteries.
- All the pro-Dalai Lama or anti-Shugden Tibetans will think twice before taking action now because their violent methods have been revealed to the English-speaking world. It will not be a surprise if the CTA will make some speech about this letter to cover themselves.
- The CTA will be careful now as this letter proves that their hit list has provoked the desired results which are anger and action to be directed against the Tibetan protestors. What is important now is not to investigate whether the letter is authentic or not. The letter has been sent and that makes it authentic to some degree, implanting ideas of further violence by anti-Shugden Tibetans against Shugden-practicing Tibetans. All Tibetans who practice Dorje Shugden should be alert and make police reports so the threat to them is on the record. Prior to this, many Shugden Tibetans have reported to the police but not much action taken, with this letter, it can make a difference now. The CTA must understand their tactics to incite the Tibetans against Shugden people have ‘worked’. But at the same time it is a temporary victory because the police around the world will be alert and investigate more as to why the CTA has a hit list on their site and if there is a link with this new letter. Whatever the outcome, it will not look good for the CTA and the pro-Dalai Lama people.
- What we should do now is to make copies of the letters, print out the hit list from the CTA’s website and send it to our respective local police. Let them investigate the CTA. Shugden people wish no harm for anyone, but seek protection and justice. Perhaps this letter ‘stupidly’ sent by the group is the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back? At least it will add to the authorities’ suspicion against the CTA and the violent mob they command.
- All peace-loving, freedom-loving people of the world, including pro-Dalai Lama and pro-Dorje Shugden people, should strongly condemn this letter and its intentions. They should request the CTA to stop their injustice and to stop inciting their people to commit violence against Shugden practitioners. The ban against Shugden must be lifted by the Tibetan leadership or the actions described in this letter will be perpetrated against the innocent Shugden practitioners as it has been since the ban started.
- As Buddhist organizations like FPMT for example support the CTA, they give the CTA more initiative and power for their reign of terror against Shugden people. They contribute to the degeneration of the Gelug School of Buddhism because they support the actions of people like Penpa Tsering, who outwardly criticizes the lineage lamas who form the backbone of the Gelug lineage such as Pabongka Rinpoche and Trijang Rinpoche. What Penpa Tsering said is tantamount to criticizing the Nyingma’s Dudjom and Dilgo Kyentse Rinpoche, the Kagyu’s Karmapa and the Sakya’s throne holders. Would the Sakyas, Nyingmas and Kagyus tolerate any negative slights against their lineage holders? Of course not. The very teachers in Gelug School of Buddhism of which FPMT belongs are students of Pabongka Rinpoche and Trijang Rinpoche. Lama Yeshe, Ribur Rinpoche (see Appendix C below), Lama Zopa (see Appendix D below), Choden Rinpoche (see Appendix E below), etc. often speak highly of their gurus and lineage masters. When Penpa Tsering criticizes these masters, he is destabilizing the Gelug lineage and attempting to make the Gelug lineage impotent. As FPMT and the like support the CTA, they destroy their own lineage by supporting people like Penpa Tsering. Many of the texts, prayers, sadhanas and scriptures used in FPMT are written by Pabongka Rinpoche or Trijang Rinpoche. Why are they performing meditations, prayers and retreats using texts composed by authors so highly criticized by Penpa Tsering? As Penpa Tsering said, Pabongka Rinpoche at the end of his life vomited blood and died due to his practice of Shugden which of course contradicts the truth. Why would the millions of followers of the Gelug School follow a lama or his teachings that died vomiting blood? That would indicate Pabongka Rinpoche was even less than ordinary. The Gelug monasteries and thousands of dharma practitioners in the Western world including FPMT are following the writings and lineage of a lama who died vomiting blood? That does not make sense except to someone who has no sense. Penpa Tsering daringly goes on to criticize saying the previous Trijang Rinpoche’s life work was not successful as well as the current Trijang Rinpoche because of Dorje Shugden’s practice. Amazing conclusions from someone who is overwhelmed with ignorance and blind from covering lies. No source, no proof and just pure ignorance.
- The United Front of Tibetan People can be an underground group. Why would they post their location and status openly? After all the people who organized the attack against Dromo Geshe’s monastery and Gen Chonze remained covert. In order for their actions to be effective, it had to be covert. Whether this letter is genuine does not matter for we should use it for what it is worth, which is to show the authorities the results of this ban which is becoming more and more violent. This should push the CTA and their leadership to remove the ban, and hopefully also alarm the authorities against the unjust and undemocratic actions of the CTA and Tibetan leadership.
- The letter appears to come from Oakland, California (Berkeley), which has a high population of Tibetan refugees. Recently in February 2014, the Dalai Lama had a public Dharma talk in Berkeley, and commented about Dorje Shugden negatively again. That may have resulted in some of the Tibetans there forming this new anti-Shugden group called The United Front of Tibetan People. Or prompt the Tibetans to ‘do something’ about the Shugden issue? Speculation of course. But with the Tibetans, nothing is impossible when it comes to following CTA.
- This letter reflects a very real threat to the Shugden community. Every single day, violent and vulgar threats of death and harm are directed at Shugden practitioners both online and offline. If such threats are taken seriously because we understand the context in which they are said (that is, enraged Tibetans think they are protecting the Dalai Lama by behaving this way), why is it not equally possible that an underground Tibetan group can be provoked into writing this letter? After all, their leadership has already published openly a hit list of Shugden practitioners who can be targeted for violence. Why is it not possible a splinter group might actually want to carry out the work?
- Some have suggested perhaps the pro-Dalai Lama groups are sending these letters to counter the letters beings sent by Shugden practitioners worldwide. Tibetans refugees in India and foreign countries should stop all this religious strife and ban. It inconveniences, to say the least, the authorities of their host countries. Tibetans become burdens to their host countries. Tibetans should create peace where they live as this will help their cause as far-fetched as their wishes being realized may be.
- Funds given to the CTA are used to hunt people down and cause disharmony, instead of do good for the Tibetan people. In an open democracy, governments are transparent about their budget and expenditure, announcing it to the whole country at the beginning of each fiscal year. The Tibetan leadership on the other hand, have been accused of financial mismanagement, most recently by Congressman Dana Rohrabacher. Tibetans around the world are generally impoverished, living on very basic wages. Which one of them would therefore fund a mail-out of this scale? The Tibetan leadership are automatic suspects, since they are the only Tibetan group who would have the motive and resources to do so perhaps. There are pockets of Tibetans who live in foreign countries who are doing well also.
- It is sad that Shugden people are not surprised by this letter. All Shugden practitioners have to consider any threat to be a real and plausible one for their own safety, because they have been violently discriminated against for so long. This letter however, targets only Tibetans, just like how the Tibetan leadership’s hit list targets only Tibetans. Clearly Tibetans dare not focus on the foreigners, because they will lose the basis of their sponsorship and investments should the world find out just how undemocratic and hypocritical their leadership is.
This letter is serious and it encapsulates the whole fanatical supporters of the Dalai Lama who enforce the ban against Shugden and what they are willing to do. It is a clear expose to the violence and prejudice meted out to those Tibetans and their non-Tibetan friends if you dare contradict the corrupt goals of the CTA. Why do we not hear anything in regards to getting to the goal of Tibetan autonomy? Why does CTA continue to speak, publish books and online information against Dorje Shugden? What do they actually fear? Or are their untruths being exposed more and more and they are losing grip? Separation of Church and state is so needed in any government. The unfair and unjust ban against Dorje Shugden must cease immediately.
By: Yeshe Sangye
(Editor’s Note: Yeshe Sangye previously submitted to DorjeShugden.com a very powerful article titled ‘Who made Lama Zopa a Rinpoche?‘. You may wish to read it too, to further add to your knowledge)
Letter from the United Front of the Tibetan People
Kangchen Amdo’s statement on Adar Tsering’s Facebook page
NKT WORLD anti-Buddhist? NEW DEATH THREAT AGAINST DALAI LAMA’Chinese terror’ alert for Dalai Lama, Mumbai The Mumbai police have received intelligence inputs that some terrorists from the Tibetan region of China may sneak in to India to eliminate the Tibetan spiritual guru, the Dalai Lama.The intelligence inputs, a copy of which is with TOI, states that a Chinese national of Tibetan origin by the name Tashi Phuntsok is likely to enter India to gather intelligence on the Tibetan administration as well as to cause harm to the Dalai Lama. The input further states that six Chinese nationals of Tibetan origin, including Phuntsok, possibly from Chinese secret services, are suspected.”A good number of Chinese youth enter India on business visas, ostensibly for some clandestine activities. It’s likely that they may try to visit certain areas prohibited for Chinese like Tibetan camps. The Dalai Lama visits Mumbai and other places in Maharashtra. The threat to him must not be underestimated. Loss of Chinese passport and recovery of unknown Chinese passport need to be reported promptly, so that the concerned agencies can question them. In this regard, the activities of the followers of ‘Shugden cult – an anti-Dalai Lama group – need to be kept under strict vigil,” the report said.The Mumbai police have informed Tibetan organizations and directed the special branch and the local police to keep police officers updated about the Dalai Lama’s visit to Mumbai. “He often comes to Mumbai and even goes to slums and mixes with people. We will have to enhance security cover form him in Mumbai,” said a police officer.(From S Ahmed Ali of The Times of India, January 7, 2012)
__________The Dalai Lama, 77 years old, now has new reason to keep his body guards.Newsweek, in February 1997, covered brutal murders of 3 monks close to the Dalai Lama. Newsweek’s article also covered the lead role of NKT’s angry campaign against the Dalai Lama.According to Newsweek magazine, which published an article by Tony Clifton called “Cult Mystery – did an obscure Tibetan sect murder three monks close to the Dalai Lama”…”"Three members of the Dalai Lama’s inner circle were brutally slain on the night of Feb 4 in a bedroom just a few hundred yards from His Holiness’s exile residence in the northern Indian city of Dharmsala. The next morning monks found the Dalai Lama’s close friend and confidant 70-year-old Lobsang Gyatso, dead on his bed. Two young monks, Nagawang Lodoe and the Dalai Lama’s Chinese-language interpreter, Lobsang Nagwang, died within hours of the attack. Each victim had been stabbed 15 to 20 times, leaving the walls of the small monk’s chamber splattered with blood. Police believe it was the work of five to eight attackers…The savagery of the attack immediately steered police to search for fanatics of some kind. So did the death threats that followed against 14 more members of the Dalai Lama’s entourage. Now Indian police believe the murders were committed by an obscure Buddhist sect that takes its name and inspiration from a minor but ferocious Tibetan deity: the Dorje Shugden…The Shugdens worship a god who is often depicted wearing necklaces of human heads – symbols of conquered vices and transgressions. He is a sword-wielding warrior figure, riding a snow lion through a sea of boiling blood…Dorje Shugden has had an underground following among Tibetans obsessed with doctrinal purity for centuries.“I think there’s no doubt that Shugden was behind the killings,” says Robert Thurman, America’s foremost Buddhist scholar and an old friend of the Dalai Lama’s. “The three were stabbed repeatedly and cut up in a way that was like an exorcism.” Dorje Shugden has had an underground following among Tibetans obsessed with doctrinal purity for centuries. “It would not be unfair to call Shugdens the Taliban of Tibetan Buddhism,” says Thurman, referring to the Muslim extremists of Afghanistan, who believe in swift and brutal justice. “Shugden appeals to crazies by offering instant gratification,” says Thurman. “Once you get involved, you’re told you have to devote your lives to the cult, because the god gets very angry if you don’t attend to him every day. It’s really bad stuff, the way they’re draining money out of people.”…the followers of the NKT have painted a hostile portrait of the Dalai Lama that is unrecognizable to mainstream Buddhists-indeed, to millions around the world who revere the Nobel Peace Prize winner and champion of Tibet…Above all, the Shugdens are angry that the Dalai Lama is promoting dialogue between the Yellow Hats and another major branch of Tibetan Buddhism, Nyingma, or the Red Hats. The Shugdens consider it a sin even to talk to Red Hats, or to touch Nyingma religious works.
The police believe that one of the reasons the men were killed was that the old sage, Lobsang Gyatso, was a particularly active intermediary between the Dalai Lama and the Red Hats.”Newsweek also wrote,”NKT founder Kelsang has publicly retreated from his confrontation with the Dalai Lama. Through his spokesman he told NEWSWEEK that the NKT had abandoned its demonstrations last July alter realizing they were less and less appropriate.” (thus, promised to end by April 1997)However, this turned out to be a false statement from Kelsang Gyatso of NKT. Since then, NKT has organized protest rallies and Internet sites against the Dalai Lama, more robust and even less appropriate than NKT’s campaign in the 1990s.The extent, if any, of NKT’s involvement in the ‘Shugden murders’ described in Newsweek remains unclear. Kelsang Gyatso’s denial of any involvement is suspect because at the same time Kelsang Gyatso promised that his days of attacking the Dalai Lama were over. NKT continues to build its fortune on government subsidies and the donations of followers – who discount any investigation into Shugden, Kelsang Gyatso or NKT and the experiences of hundreds of previous NKT followers subjected to sexual, psychological or security abuse inside NKT. NKT’s Shugdenism is blinding as well as hazardous.
Transcript of Penpa Tsering’s speech
It also says after the fire puja (jinsek), the Dolgyal spirit was eradicated. During the jinsek Puja, there were all the high Kagyu and Nyingma lamas like Tedhar Lingpa etc. with the knowledge of the Fifth Dalai Lama. It also said that while doing that puja, it was smelling like burning human flesh. There were lots of incidences like this. 65 years after the Drakpa Gyaltsen’s death and 46 years after the eradication of Dolgyal with (jinsek puja), Dolgyal appeared again and strayed around. Later, he reached into Sakya. About whether Sakya practise Dolgyal or not, in the end, in 1717 around Norchen area during the Morchen Kunga Lhundup time, there were incident of practicing Dolgyal. Four years after that, He (Shugden) reached Sakya Dachen Sonam Rinchen, and due to the Dolgyal presence, they faced a lot of unfortunate situations. He (SDSR) even dreamed about Dolgyal hand with blood, and when he (SDSR) asked, Shugden said “I am a gnome spirit (Dhamsi)”. He said that he is the Gendenpa’s Dhamsi not the Gendenpa’s protector. In this way, there wes an incident of practising in Sakyapa as well. But later, when we asked present Sakya Gongma (Sakya Dhatril Rinpoche) about the Dolgyal, He said that since 1996 after the Chedhue meeting, they (Sakyapa) have officially stopped practising Dolgyal. They have also sent letter to Chidue office. Particularly, the present Sakya Gongma’s (SDR) teachers have strictly restricted them from Dolgyal practice and later, it became like none of the Sakyapas practise Shugden. Also, they never had things like sogtae. There might be some private small monasteries who practise Shugden, but even if they practice Dolgyal, they won’t consider Dolgyal as a main protector, but the lowest level protector. Most importantly, Sakya Gongma Rinpoche has said that after the proclamation by Dalai Lama in 1978, whole Sakyapa has stopped practising Shugden, it can also assume as no one is practising Shugden anymore. As Sakya lamas saying, later Dolgyal became the situation like for a torkyak. (torma that has been discarded) Information about different Tibetan Buddhist sect, there were influence of Dolgyal in Sakypa, but these days, it is completely clean and none of the Sakyapas practise Shugden. Also Nyingmapa and Kagyupa don’t practise Dolgyal. There are some in Rivu Gandenpa. Since 1640 during the Fifth Dalai Lama there were restrictions of Dolgyal practise. Also Ganden Tripa Rinpoche and all the highest lamas has restricted this practise. So, there is information like this. The reason Dolgyal became popular again is, from late 19th century and beginning of 20th century, due to Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche. There was a lot of information regarding Dolgyal and Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche’s connection. Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche was Lamrim expert lama. Back then, there was no other lamas who can give Lamrim teaching like Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche. In general, he (KPR) was a small lama, and there was again a controversy regarding his reincarnation, but let’s not talk about it now. But ever since childhood Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche was bright in prayer activities, essay writings, and any activities, and the 13th Dalai Lama as well has given attention or interest on him. while Dalai lama was giving Lamrim teaching, Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche was sick and sitting at the end of the row and later, gradually move to the front row as the Lamrim was going on. There was a history like this. In the beginning of his life, Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche was interested in all the different Tibetan Buddhist sects, and had special interest and respect for Guru Rinpoche. In his later life, because of this Devil (Dolgyal) practise, there were information of occurrence of some unfortunate situations. If you know about Dolgyal, there is a word called “Sogtae”; back then there was no history about this word, but later, after Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche, the word called “Sogtae” has existed. Actually, the right meaning of Sogtae is, when holy beings controls the god, demon, devil and so on by seizing their life, but here in the Shugden case, the Lama or any followers have to give his life to Dolgyal. With this, in the future, there is a risk of missing rebirth and chances of roaming their spirits around Dolgyal only. When topic comes about Dolgyal and Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche’s relation, there is also an information about the Dhakpo Rinpoche. In around 1915, Dhakpo Kalsang Khedup had practised Dolgyal, but he has taken Dolgyal as a door guard but not as a main protector. When Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche was a child, he was controlled by the spirit of Dolgyal. When they asked, “Who are you?”, Dolgyal slapped the person and said “Don’t you know me”. From 1920s, Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche had performed Dolgyal publicity. The popularity of Dolgyal, occurrence of Sogdhe, praise to Dolgyal, Shugden entering other’s body and etc. were all mentioned clearly in Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche’s story. As Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche was a Lamrim related high lama, once, he (KPR) was even sent for Lamrim teaching as a substitute of Ganden Tripa by the 13th Dalai Lama. In this way, the 13th Dalai Lama had given importance to him, but because of this devil (Dolgyal), in his(KPR) later life, he has faced lots of unfortunate situations. For that reason, he had to increase his Dolgyal practise. Later, when the 13th Dalai Lama acknowledged that condition, the 13th Dalai Lama had restrained him (KPR) from giving any teachings, and he(KPR) even had commitment with the 13th Dalai Lama. But later after the death of the 13th Dalai Lama, Reting Rinpohe came to the throne, and Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche received permission to go to Kham area. After he went to the Kham side, he had created so many problems. He had destroyed Guru Rinpoche’s statues, thrown away Nyingma’s prayer-books into the river, and burnt down some from the Nyingma monasteries etc. These were the mischievous activities created by KPR. During that time, Jamyang Khantse Lodoe Choeki Gyaltsen had written complain letter to one of the Dhomey Lama about the problems given by KPR. In the letter, he stated, destruction of statues and prayer-books, Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche forced monks to practise Shugden, and he even let monks to beat up others who are not practising; Later, when he didn’t get anyone to hit others, he even hired women to create that violence. These were the information spread around. JKLCG even mentioned, if the situation stayed like this for long then it will destroy Je Tsongkhapa Chenpe’s lineage. It says as if Dolgyal is a pure Gelugpa protector, but the main goal is to fulfill his (Dolgyal) purpose. All the lamas, who had practised Dolgyal, had been through lots of unfortunate situations. Plus, he didn’t even give protections, help or luck. Kuntse Panchen (the 9th Panchen Lama) as well, due to Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche and Dolgyal, he (Panchen Rinpoche) was unable to return back to Tibet and passed away in Kham area. Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche himself also, when he traveled around Kham, Tsang, Dhakpo, and Kongpo, around 1938, he died with vomiting blood. Also, Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, since he was the Dalai lama’s teacher, Dalai Lama has given him exception, but the present Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, due to Dolgyal practise, is in miserable condition today.
Ribur Rinpoche on Pabongka Rinpoche
The only thing that matters to me is that I was a disciple of Pabongka Rinpoche.
Ribur Rinpoche’s Pabongka Rinpoche: A Memoir. Published in Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand by Pabongka Rinpoche (Wisdom Publications, 1991).
Lama Zopa on Pabongka Rinpoche
Another thing is that some Tibetans and others severely criticize Pabongka Dechen Nyingpo because he practiced Shugden, making him out to be some kind of demon. However, Pabongka Dechen Nyingpo wrote incredible teachings on sutra and tantra; on Heruka, Tara Cittamani and many other topics. All these amazing teachings were written purely from his experience. So it’s impossible that he can really be some kind of evil being, as those extremists accuse him of being. There’s no way he could have done the negative things they say he did.
Choden Rinpoche on Pabongka Rinpoche
Rinpoche traveled to Central Tibet at the age of seventeen and enrolled in Sera Je Monastery where he was trained in the Five Canons of Buddhist philosophy. While mastering this twenty-five year course of study, Rinpoche became an outstanding student of His Holiness Trijang Rinpoche and His Holiness Pabongka Rinpoche as well as numerous other prominent lamas. Under their tutelage, he received empowerments, oral transmissions and personal instruction. He was given complete pith instructions and ear-whispered transmissions as well, which led him to an internalized understanding of the teachings.