An incredible revelation has come to light about the H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama’s perilous escape from Tibet, and the truth about who really saved his life during those most dangerous times.
Some very courageous monks from both Gaden and Sera Monasteries have recently revealed many very interesting facts as below, which contradict what has been popularized. It seems that the truth has been covered up and denied by the Tibetan Government since the escape of the Dalai Lama and his people in 1959:
- First, it was under H.H. Trijang Rinpoche’s advice that the Dalai Lama sought the counsel of the enlightened Dharma Protector Dorje Shugden through the most famous oracle in the land, Panglung Oracle.
- By following Dorje Shugden’s instructions, the Dalai Lama escaped many terrible fates. For example, once, when the Chinese invaded the Norbulingka Palace (Dalai Lama’s summer home), they literally could not see the Dalai Lama and so he was not harmed. At that time, the Dalai Lama was carrying a Dorje Shugden thangka.
- Through the Panglung Oracle, Dorje Shugden advised the Dalai Lama to leave Tibet immediately and advised him which route to take. Dorje Shugden assured that he would protect the Dalai Lama. The Dalai Lama followed this instruction and left immediately. The day after, the Dalai Lama’s palace, the Potala, was completely shelled and bombed. He and his entourage were protected throughout the escape and arrived in India safely.
- The Gaden monks explained that the Dalai Lama had made an offering of THIS THANGKA PAINTING to his Guru Trijang Rinpoche. However, when he needed to escape Tibet, the Dalai Lama requested Trijang Rinpoche to borrow this thangka as protection. Knowing the tremendous benefit that the Dalai Lama would bring to the world through teachings and the Tibetan Buddhist lineage, Trijang Rinpoche immediately lent him the thangka.
- The Dalai Lama carried this thangka on his back throughout his escape towards India.
- All this points clearly to the fact that Dorje Shugden saved the Dalai Lama’s life and helped him escape unscathed from the dangers in Tibet. Because the Dalai Lama survived, he was able to reestablish the teachings and lineage outside of Tibet. He has since also become one of the most prominent Buddhist personalities in the world, responsible for bringing Tibetan Buddhism to the highly respected status that it now holds. The prominence that is given to all Tibetan Buddhist schools and practices now can be attributed to the kindness, protection and blessings of Dorje Shugden who led the Dalai Lama and his whole entourage to safety.
- This thangka still exists and is currently preserved by the monks of Trijang Ladrang in Gaden Monastery.
- As the Dalai Lama escaped, he was accompanied by an entourage of 30 monks from Sera Monastery. To this day, these Sera monks remember that the Dalai Lama had consulted Dorje Shugden and been advised to leave Tibet when he did. They also remember that the Dalai Lama carried this particular Dorje Shugden thangka. See how deeply saddened this Sera monk is as he recalls that journey and reflects on the Dalai Lama’s current ban on Dorje Shugden:
Now, the Dalai Lama has instituted a ban against Dorje Shugden, claiming that he is an evil spirit and will harm the Dalai Lama’s life. This is totally illogical! Why would Dorje Shugden help the Dalai Lama escape Tibet safely, and now be a threat to his life and works? Why would such a highly attained Lama like Trijang Rinpoche give his student a practice, deity or even a thangka that would harm him in any way?
Because of the ban, Dorje Shugden devotees have been attacked and families have been separated; Gurus are not allowed to see their students; monks are denied welfare and even expelled from their monasteries, which is unheard of in Buddhist history. Spiritual practice has become inseparable from politics, and people cannot do their practices in peace without being implicated in the politics.
The Tibetan exiled Government in India makes defamatory reports to the police about Dorje Shugden practitioners. They spread rumors that these practitioners are Chinese spies and even try to stop Dorje Shugden practitioners from entering India!
Because the current young incarnation of Trijang Rinpoche continues to practice Dorje Shugden, there have been countless attacks on his life. Monks revealed that there was an incident many years ago where masked men charged into Trijang Ladrang in Gaden Monastery carrying sticks and wanting to kill Trijang Rinpoche. Fortunately, many monks protected him. The monks of his household had to be on constant vigilance, taking shifts to protect the holy body of Trijang Rinpoche against such attacks. In 1995, the 15-year-old Trijang Rinpoche finally left the monastery and India to America. The main reason for his leaving was because of the many threats on his life, which arose from this ban on Dorje Shugden,
There is now talk among monks that the Dalai Lama wants to be the spiritual leader of all schools of Buddhism in the world, like a pope of Buddhism. He is achieving this by breaking apart individual, smaller schools of Buddhism. He instigates political rules such the ban on this Protector Dorje Shugden, which then creates splits within Buddhist schools – in this case, he is creating a lot of schism to divide practitioners and monks within the Gelugpa school. He has also done the same with the Kagyu school, interfering with their independent religious traditions and implementing political decisions that have divided them into separate camps following different heads. It is his hope that when these schools are divided, weakened and have no strong leader, he will be able to step in as supreme head to “unite” all Buddhist sects everywhere under him.
However, the revelation about the truth of this Dorje Shugden thangka now creates shockwaves in the Buddhist world. Underlying the ban, all its twisted “reasoning” and the misery it has created for Dorje Shugden devotees, THIS THANGKA reveals a whole different story. It proves that the Dalai Lama’s success today, and the success of all Tibetan Buddhist teachers, lineages and centers in the world, actually began first with the blessings and protection of Dorje Shugden as he led the Dalai Lama to safety. All the claims about Dorje Shugden being an evil, harmful spirit are completely unfounded and untrue. The implementation and upholding of the ban by the Tibetan exiled government has accomplishing nothing but to create disharmony within the Buddhist world, alienate fellow Buddhists and infringe upon the basic right of religious freedom.
By sharing this, it is our hope that we can show the world the truth about Dorje Shugden, and that the ban can be lifted to allow more religious freedom, peace and tolerance everywhere. It is our call to action, to share the true nature of this practice – contradictory to popular belief now, Dorje Shugden is not harmful. On the contrary, it has been the basis of tremendous, worldwide benefit, peace and wisdom that Tibetan Buddhism has brought to every corner of the globe. It all began with that single Dorje Shugden thangka…
We have attached some photographs of the special Dorje Shugden thangka and other related subjects for your reference.
The thangka that His Holiness the Dalai Lama carried with him. Borrowed from His Holiness Trijang Rinpoche, this thangka assured the Dalai Lama’s safe escape from Tibet. Upon his safe arrival in India, this thangka was returned to Trijang Rinpoche by the Dalai Lama and until this very day, this thangka is enshrined in a very honoured, special place in Trijang Rinpoche’s personal house in Gaden. This is the actual thangka that the Dalai Lama carried in a container on his back throughout the whole 1959 exodus
A close-up of His Holiness Trijang Rinpoche’s thangka that guided His Holiness the Dalai Lama to safety. It was carried by the Dalai Lama on his back until he reached safety
This is the 1959 exodus in which His Holiness the Dalai Lama carried with him the Dorje Shugden thangka that brought him safely into India
Gen Jampa, Jangchub Norbu, Gen Dawa spoke passionately about the ban and how people had attempted to harm His Holiness Trijang Rinpoche. These monks are seniors and leaders in the monastery, and very devoted students of the late previous Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche. These are the monks who revealed the information about the Dorje Shugden thangka and are now the guardians of this thangka in Trijang Ladrang