Drepung has not been quiet during the whole Shugden fiasco. Please check the old posts. But for now, I include a few:
- The current abbot of Drepung Loseling is Drayab Thobthen Rinpoche is a powerful Shugden practitioner of many lives. He has gone underground with his practice. Another young Tulku named Gongkar Rinpoche in his 30′s does alot of work to teach on behalf of Drepung Loseling also is a great practitioner of Dorje Shugden and also has close ties to Trijang Rinpoche. Gongkar’s previous life saved Trijang Rinpoche’s previous life from a assassination attempt. Whenever Trijang Rinpoche visits Drepung, he will stay at Gongkar Rinpoche’s Ladrang (residence). They are very close. Even the ban has not ‘soured’ their relations. Drepung Loseling keeps silent on this.
- Denma Locho Rinpoche a high lama of Drepung Loseling went to visit Serkong Tritul in Taiwan and recieved tremendous offerings. He gave many teachings to Serkong Tritul and Jamseng Rinpoche while in Taiwan at their centre. Denma Locho offered the money to Loseling to pay off their debts for their new prayer hall. When Loseing found out the origins of the money, they made a big song and dance about the origins of the money but never not returned the money to Rinpoche. They posted letters all over the Monastery saying Denma Locho Rinpocheis recieving sponsorshop money from a well known Dorje Shugden practitioner (Serkong Tritul). All of Drepung Loseling recieved teachings from Denma Locho yet they treated him this way due to the pressure from the ex Tibet Govt now CTA.Denma Locho is in the late 70′s and has been the abbot of Namgyal Monastery, direct disciple of Ling Rinpoche and a great esteemed lama, yet they accuse him. He is a scholar of the highest calibre and a very prolific gentle monk. Because of the ban, letters were posted all over Drepung against this saintly Rinpoche.
- Kensur Rinpoche Lobsang Denpa of Gomang from Shungpa khamtsen who is also the current Drepung Tripa and sits on the throne in Drepung Lachi complains quietly he wishes the Shugden ban is off. As he is a great practitioner. He complains he cannot speak about Shugden his lifelong practice openly because of the current political climate due to CTA.
- Drepung Gomang Ngari khamtsen which has over two hundred monks currently for the past hundreds of years had Shugden as their principal protector of their khamtsen. By tradition each khamtsen in the Monastery will have their own protector sometimes differing from the protector of the main Monastery. They have been silenced. Ngari Khamtsen was forced to change their protector Shugden which has been with them for hundreds of years. The CTA made them change their protector by force or face expulsion. In Drepung, Shugden was very strong many monks now still practice secretly. Dalai Lama complained last year during his visit, there are still many monks practicing Shugden secretly in Drepung (which is very true). And he warned them to becareful. He warned them to not pretend they are not practicing when they are.
- A very high lama named Jampa Rinpoche in his 70′s and in Drepung Loseling has recently been found out by the Dalai Lama still practicing Shugden. Dalai Lama during a talk in Drepung last year hinted at Jampa Rinpoche. Shar Gaden monks come to Jampa Rinpoche even today to recieve teachings. He compassionately answers their questions and gives teachings to the Shar Gaden monks when requested. The CTA is not happy about this. They want Jampa Rinpoche to have no contact with Shugden Monastery Shar Gaden. Jampa Rinpoche is a great tantric master and is attained and treats all who seek teachings from him equally with no bias. He is the student of Kyabje Trijang and Ling Rinpoche. He is very accurate in dice (mo) divinations. Hundreds seek him for divinations. He often still makes donations to Shar Gaden Monastery openly till today.
- Ten years back, Drepung Loseling was printing anti-Shugden material. They have their own printing press in the Monastery itself. They were all excited about this. Then one day while the abbot was in his room (upstairs on top of the prayer hall), there was lightning and it struck the cement victory banner(see pic below). This one single victory banner toppled down and hit right near the abbot’s room. It had a loud crash. It damaged the flooring (roof of the Monastery). No one was hurt. It was late at night and many monks ran to see what happened and saw the fallen victory banner after hearing a loud crash and lightning.On top of every Monastery you have Victory banners representing victory over mara (negative mind).
When this topples down, it is a very inauspicious sign. These victory banners have been up for years and are a permanent fixture, and no such thing has every happened. It was a very bad omen.The disciplinarian (Gekul) of Drepung Loseling ordered the monks not to speak about this. If they do, it will be expulsion. The Drepung Monastery was very embarrassed about this incident hence the Gekul’s issued this warning. They hushed it up. But many Drepung monks quietly spoke about it and it leaked out into the Tibetan communities.A few weeks later, Setrab took trance in Delhi through the Kameng Kuten and said Dulzin (Dorje Shugden) is very patient but I am not. I struck the victory banner down to let them know they are doing the wrong actions. I am displeased.Remember Setrab and Shugden abide within the same mandala. Or same divine palace.
- Drepung Gomang had thrown rocks at Dagom Ladrang, forcing Dagom Rinpoche to leave and reside in Nepal until his passsing. The lay people threw rocksat Guru Deva Ladrang because of his Shugden practice forcing Guru Deva to leave for Nepal also. Guru Deva was a high lama and main sponsor of Drepung Gomang. He was an emanation of Shugden Gyenze.The incarnation of Kundeling Tulku now residing near Mysore was expelled from Gomang for Shugden also.So this and many other events have happened in Drepung. Interesting and very sad.TKTo see photos of Drepung Tripa, Jampa Rinpoche, Serkong Tritul, Kundeling Rinpoche, Denma Locho Rinpoche, Drayab Thobthen Rinpoche, Guru Deva Rinpoche please go here: http:www.dorjeshugden.com/?page_id=37