- The Dalai lama composed Melody of the Unceasing Vajra: A Propitiation of Mighty Gyalchen Dorje Shugden, Protector of Conqueror Manjusri Tsongkhapa’s Teachings.
- The Dalai Lama speaks publicly against the practice of Dorje Shugden
July 18, 1980
- H.H. the Dalai Lama said at Sera Monastery, Karnataka State:
In summation of my reviews, I am not saying Gyalchen is not an authentic deity. In any case, for those who mainly hold Palden Lhamo or Gyalpo Kunga (state protector), whether it be a great master or a monastery, it does not abode well to worship Gyalchen.
- H.H. the Dalai Lama orders a small Shugden temple near the main hall of Sera monastery in South India to be closed down. The temple had been attended by Lamas and senior monks from Sera-Je and Sera-Mey monasteries.
- A new little temple of state protector Nechung is erected under the command of the exile government in the courtyard of the monastery. Likewise in all Tibetan settlements.
- H.H. the Dalai Lama orders the removal of the Dorje Shugden statue from the main prayer hall of Ganden Monastery, the main monastery of Gelug Tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. When the Dalai Lama is told that the statue was too large to get through the door, he replies that the statue should be broken up.
- The Mongolian Lama Guru Deva Rinpoche is forced to leave India, because his printing press published a letter questioning the Dalai Lama’s actions regarding Dorje Shugden.