Author Topic: DS brochure  (Read 229124 times)

Middleway

DS brochure
« on: June 01, 2010, 06:59:38 PM »
Just saw this:

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=3577

Is this meant to be put through people's doors?  It seems at least one person (see comment on page) intends to do so.

It leaves me feeling uncomfortable.  I mean, 'free card inside' - like a plastic toy in a cereal packet.  Landing on the floor along with the junk mail & immediately filed under 'religious crazies' by 99.9% of people who receive it as an unsolicited item.

The Protector needs to be introduced skillfully, as does the Dharma in general. I don't mean to be rude, but I wouldn't give this even to someone who was asking me to tell them more about Dorje Shugden with a mind of faith.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:55:14 AM by Middleway »

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
Re: DS 'brochure'
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 10:19:51 PM »
I personally like the brochures very much.

I have downloaded them and printed over 10,000 copies so far to be given away.  I have given away over 3,000 so far.

In the past when people have recieved Pictures and information re Dorje Shugden anonymously, I have seen good results.

They can throw away the brochures, or it can help some. The brochures have this website address on them. So there are chances people will come to the website to explore more. So many ppl know nothing of this website, let them find out about it through these brochures. It could help very much to get our cause, Dorje Shugden's truth and blessings out. What is the worst scenario? Ppl throw it out, it is ok. But there is a chance ppl will read and investigate further. That is my hope. I pay for the expenditure of printing them out and put the effort into passing them out and that is what I am going to do for Dorje Shugden. A lot of legwork for Him.

The hardworking Kadampa people when they protested around the world passed out many informative papers to thousands of passerbys. Nothing wrong with that.

I think the webmaster or whoever involved in this website did a great job. I am overwhelmed by their insight, hardwork, and planning for this brochure. The Tibetan Govt in exile makes anti-Shugden pamphlets that are distributed all over the world and I have come across them for free distribution. So why not we pass out simple pamphlets with 'simple' attractive benefits to attract the mind in the initial stages that are pro Dorje Shugden. So when they pray to Dorje Shugden, eventually, their minds will be planted with the seeds of enlightenment as any interaction with Dorje Shugden will be positive in the long run. We have to do something.

I have a group of friends very much into passing these brochures within their respective areas. They go out after work or late at night to distribute them in mailboxes, temples, centres, yoga centres, new age healing groups, professional offices, etc.

I vow to Dorje Shugden that I will print over 108,000 copies of this brochure from this website and have it passed out in various countries where I travel with my friends in this few years. I dedicate this to the monks of Shar Gaden, Serpom Monastery, and all the lamas who heroically would not be silenced like Kyabje Dagom Rinpoche, Zemey Rinpoche, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Gonsar Rinpoche, Trijang Rinpoche, Zong Rinpoche, the oracles in Taiwan and USA, Gangchen Rinpoche, Zawa Rinpoche, Geshe Tendar, Yongyal Rinpoche, Geshe Lobsang Pende (abbot of Shar Gaden), Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche, Denma Gonsar Rinpoche, Rabten Rinpoche, etc etc. I dedicate this that their heroic deed will fruition and their holy works continue to benefit ordinary people like me. I also pray that a perfect incarnation of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen will take rebirth and bring the dharma forward again and again openly and for all to know. May Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen incarnation manifest, be known, recognized, trained and carry on his works again.

Thank you webmaster and your great team. You do all the work and we do all the criticizing. So I will change that and pass out these brochures. I will be a true fan of this great website.

TK

godi

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:50:36 PM »
Hi,
what is the reason that there are only worldly benefits mentioned (wealth, business, intelligence,...) and no spiritual benefit. Actually, Dorje Shugden is a Dharma protector and not a worldly protector. Very often, good business is an obstacle for the spiritual development but financial problems, sickness,... could be helpful for the spiritual development.
Regards
Godi

Middleway

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:12:31 AM »
I wish you luck in your endeavour, but personally I don't believe it's skilfull, either in design or content (the worldly attainment stuff could be so easily misunderstood without someone to explain & most won't seek an explanation) - maybe I could be persuaded of concept, but it seems not unlike standing on street corners shouting 'the word', something I believe most people find off-putting.

Anyway, I need to watch my mind that I'm not attached or averse to how other people do things. I'll post this message so that you've got this point of view then leave it a that, unless asked something specific. 

Sincerely wishing you luck & rejoicing in your love of the protector & all living beings. 

emptymountains

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:05:43 AM »
Don't people need to have faith in Buddha Shakyamuni first, before they can develop faith in Dorje Shugden? For that matter, don't people need to have faith in Je Tsongkhapa first, before they can develop faith in Dorje Shugden? Just wondering what people's views are on that. Thanks!

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 12:02:47 PM »
Hi,
what is the reason that there are only worldly benefits mentioned (wealth, business, intelligence,...) and no spiritual benefit. Actually, Dorje Shugden is a Dharma protector and not a worldly protector. Very often, good business is an obstacle for the spiritual development but financial problems, sickness,... could be helpful for the spiritual development.
Regards
Godi

The reason the brochures (I think) only mentioning 'worldy' benefits as oppose to spiritual is to hook people in by their desires within the first glance and hopefully they explore more later. If they don't, they still deserve Dorje Shugden to help them. If it just plainly dharma, bodhicitta, reincarnation, etc, it will reach a smaller audience. Most of us didn't join dharma IN THE BEGINNING because we wanted enlightenment, bodhicitta or leave samsara. We had some bad experiences, felt disillusioned, felt sad and felt lonely and we joined dharma for solace, help, company and another way of looking at things. As we learned more and understood more then only we went into heavier subjects that would scare many away in the beginning. So many people to be attracted to the dharma in a deeper sense years laters, would have to be attracted by 'immediate' and more 'tangible' and more relatable benefits now. That is how I see it.
I will put Dorje Shugden's message in every street corner, store, business, homes, cars, centres everywhere I go. Not everyone will get to a dharma centre (if there is even enough or even have one in their area), not everyone will even know they need dharma to look for it, not everyone will know what or how to search, so bring dharma to them via Dorje Shugden.
The Tibetan govt is spreading falsity re our lineage, our lamas and our Dorje Shugden throught their pamphlets strewn everywhere. I am not going to sit by and just watch that happen. I am going to do something. This is ONE OF THE WAYS TO DO IT. Maybe not the best but certainly NOT THE WORST. But by trying I create the karma for something bigger to happen. I make an effect happen by creating the cause.

Sometimes my friends tells me, at a public place like a phone booth a brochure is placed and they stand away and watch. Within ten mins someone comes to the booth, picks up the brochure, uses the phone holding the brochure, then walk away reading it. How do we know how many people are right now reading this forum to bring awareness of Dorje Shugden to the greater masses because of the brochures. My other friends went to food hangouts near Universities to put in the free distribution where students frequent. Many students grab them, immediately go on their laptops and start reading. The young are wonderful to bring Dorje Shugden to as they are not as jaded. And they will research, read and think.

Dorje Shugden can bestow blessings for Mahamudra attainments and at the same time he can help you find a job. So from Dorje Shugden's side, it makes no difference. From our side, in the beginning, it makes a lot of difference. Give the child a lollipop first before teaching algebra to him years later.
From Dorje Shugden, once you hook up with him through greed, avarice, or materialism, eventually it will lead to something higher. He will make sure your material growth if appropriate will not hamper your spiritual growth. Who on this forum would not like to strike lottery, get wealth and/or do well financially so you can finance Shar Gaden, Dorje Shudgen literature, Dorje Shugden movies, sponsor your guru, sponsor the incarnation of Dagom Rinpoche, build their ladrangs, help Dorje Shugden centres, help dharma to grow by sponsoring teachings, facilities, etc?
I certainly would. On the brochures, if they want to know more and seek more, THEY CAN COME TO THIS WWW.DORJE SHUGDEN.COM TO FIND OUT THE HIGHER AND MORE SIGNIFICANT BENEFITS OF DORJE SHUGDEN. They can find out the REAL purpose of Shugden's practice. At least with a brochure in hand, there's hope for that. Better than nothing. How much awareness are you going to create to bring this wonderful website to the forefront where many can benefit? Where many can know about it? How are you going to do it. How are you going to bring Dorje Shugden to the masses. Let's not just leave it to Kache Marpo. Let's be like one of the entourage and let more know about this efficient practice during the DEGENERATE age.

So why does Vajra Yogini show her full naked splendour to everyone?? Because she attracts by desire to get into Her practice, then only by your desire, you will destroy your desire with Her 11 yogas. Skilfull.

We can take refuge in Shakyamuni, Tsongkapa, Guru Rinpoche, Tara, Manjushri, Mahakala, Vaishravana, Kalarupa, Medicine Buddha, Namgyalma, Dzambala, Panchen Sonam Drakpa, Singdongma, Vajrapani, Dorje Shugden etc first. Which one we take refuge in first does not matter from an ultimate view as LONG AS THEY ARE OUT OF SAMSARA OR ENLIGHTENED. Hence, large Guru Rinpoche statues are the central and largest statue in many Nyingma Monasteries. Likewise, Tsongkapa is the central image in many Gelug Monasteries such as Kopan (http://flsam.blogspot.com/2007/12/day-4-tour-of-kopan-monastery.html ).
In Guru Puja, your central meditation is Tsongkapa with all the Three jewels surrounding him. In the Nyingma refuge tree, it is Guru Rinpoche in the central with all the Buddhas etc surrounding him. Tsongkapa or Guru Rinpoche are the central objects of focus and refuge not necessarily Shakyamuni DIRECTLY ALTHOUGH IN THEIR HEARTS. After all, an enlightened being is the embodiment of all enlightened beings. So any one of them is a COMPLETE REFUGE IN THEMSELVES AND A COMPLETE OBJECT CAPABLE OF OFFERING GENUINE REFUGE to us. So you want to start with Dorje Shugden or Manjushri or Shakyamuni as your object of Refuge, on the ultimate level it makes no difference.

This website has done so much for the service of Dorje Shugden's practice and awareness and if they have this 'program' of brochures, perhaps a few positive words and actions would be encouraging.

Much peace, and humbly,

TK

Picture attached is Kopan's central shrine.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:11:35 PM by tk »

Lord Drakpa

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »
Wow! I think the brochure is a great idea! It's a skillful way of creating awareness and planting seeds of Dorje Shugden in people's mindstream. Creating the karmic affinity for the masses! Wonderful!

DSFriend

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 03:32:28 PM »
I personally like the brochures very much.

I have downloaded them and printed over 10,000 copies so far to be given away.  I have given away over 3,000 so far.

Dear TK

Your sincerity to bring blessings and happiness to others via introducing Dorje Shugden to them is inspirational. I can imagine the legwork required to put out 3000 brochures already!

This website has continuously "strived" to make this place an "oasis and haven" for Shugden practitioners who have gone through so much in the past few decades. It has also brought much information to new practitioners. This startup kit is truly a compassionate way to introduce Dorje Shugden to the many who needs him. On top of that, this website has also kindly provided the material, ready for us to just download, print and share with others. Pretty amazing!

Thank you dear Administrator and all of you who have contributed to this website.

sincerely
DSfriend

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 03:49:17 PM »
I actually printed out the brochure to disseminate because I think it's a great idea. Short, sweet and to the point. And Dorje Shugden DOES bring wisdom and protect us against black magic and evil spirits. And he does bring resources and conducive conditions - I thought that phrasing his benefits in a very non-spiritual way to appeal to the average joe was skilfully done.

Should anyone log on to this website and read more about Dorje Shugden, it would be quite obvious that DS is a spiritual practice. It's getting people to log on to start with. I wish I thought of this idea! Anyone in the forum have any other ideas for spreading Dorje Shugden? In the meantime, I'm cracking my head too...

It's a bit of a slow process to do the brochure at home though but I managed to get 20 copies done - and folded the right way (it's a bit like origami!). Just to share how I improvised on the instructions in case anyone's interested, the 'free card' i decided to laminate so people can keep it better and I used blue tack to stick it to the brochure so that when people take the card off, it doesn't spoil the brochure or the card. When I used the glue stick, it didn't work too well. But maybe that's just me. Blue tack did wonders.

Anyway, over the past few days, I've happily placed these 20 brochures around London. I put a few in Soho (popped some in the letterboxes of Chinese restaurants since there was chinese text on the brochure!), Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Camden Town... all the cool, slightly alternative places!

This weekend, I'll make more brochures and see where else I can put them. It's quite fun too! I've been wandering around with a smile on my face and red brochures in my bag!

Thank you very much to the webmaster and designer of the card and brochure - I can feel your overwhelming love and passion to spread Dorje Shugden's practice and lineage by whatever means! May Mighty Gyalchen Dorje Shugden plant seeds and bless all those who even glimpse his holy face!

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DSFriend

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 04:41:34 PM »

I vow to Dorje Shugden that I will print over 108,000 copies of this brochure from this website and have it passed out in various countries where I travel with my friends in this few years.

Isn't making 100000 Tsa Tsa from clay and earth part of preliminary practice for Tibetans? When I read what TK wrote that he wish to make 108 000, it just occured to me how wonderful to print these holy images as a practice and sharing the blessings of a Buddha with others.

sincerely
DSfriend

honeydakini

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 05:25:33 PM »
I really think this is a great idea actually. Yes, there's a lot of junk mail that finds its way into our mailbox but this is designed really well and interestingly, and I think it catches the eye much more than most leaflets/brochures and other mailers. I like it just because it's red!

In answer to Godi's query about the benefits being only worldly... well it had briefly crossed my mind at first also. But when I thought about it, anything to do with the Buddhas is spiritual, even if the initial connection is very loose and material (or, in fact, even if the initial connection is "negative" in some way). Even in the most extreme example that someone forgets it totally or even chucks the brochure away, I believe that just seeing Dorje Shugden's holy image and name already plants a very powerful karmic imprint that can open up into something much deeper and spiritual at a later time.

After all, making a connection to DS doesn't just stop there. By our connection to DS, we also make a karmic connection to Tsongkhapa, Manjushri and even of course Maitreya residing in Tushita Heaven. This little card and brochure could just be that one little connection needed to connect people to Maitreya, for when he descends to teach in the future. That may be a long time away, but if they are not really doing anything now, that little connection to Maitreya could open up at a later time when they will practice and receive tremendous results. I mean, you really have nothing to lose by doing this.

Also, yes, the immediate "lure" may be worldly but like TK has explained, this is what gets people going. This is what the majority of the world are interested in right now - money, travelling, business, their health and families, relationships etc - so we work with what we have and create the connection that way. If on the chance that they do start some light prayers to DS "just for" money, health, travel or whatever AND THEN FIND SOME BENEFIT, it may inspire them to find out more and maybe engage in deeper practice later. I like TK's analogy of giving a child sweets to "befriend" him first and to gain his trust, and then teach him other greater things. That makes a lot of sense and I think to some extent we are all "children" in that way - i.e. dangling carrots does work for most of the world out there.

I like that the brochure gives quite a lot of info without revealing too much, which encourages people to come onto the website where there's a lot of information, as we well know. I printed a few out to share with Dharma friends and they have come back and given me some great feedback - they've been further sharing them with other new-agey stores, independent bookstores etc around the city and even spent time talking to the shop assistants/owners about it. It's piqued a lot of people's interest and you know what - people really do LOVE the idea of a freebie, even if it's just a card!!! From the places I've distributed them to, people pick it up just for the free thing inside! (you can tell because they open it up straight away to look for the card and peel it off immediately to look at it!) And the funny thing is, even kids like it because it's so bright and the cover image is quite catchy. I've only printed out about 40 - 50 but even then the response has been good so far and has seen a broad appeal :)

only tip is that you need to find some good paper and printer to print them out if not the colour doesn't come out quite so nicely.

Another suggestion to the webmaster is to do other with other languages. The bilingual Chinese thing is cool but not that relevant where I am - i can imagine people in Europe / South America etc might appreciate being able to alter/ translate the text into Spanish / German / French etc etc. Just a thought!

DharmaDefender

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 03:21:30 AM »
The young are wonderful to bring Dorje Shugden to as they are not as jaded. And they will research, read and think.

I think the brochures are a brilliant idea! Not only are the young not jaded, but they have the energy for this. That's not to say the older people don't (!) but it's the younger generation that you'll find at protests, that you'll find debating online, who'll be passing out these brochures wherever they are. I guess it's the whole covert aspect that might appeal to them? Who cares though, what appeals to them exactly? If they're spreading Dorje Shugden's name and getting people to recite his mantra, whatever their motivation, on his side as a Buddha, doesn't he have the power to bless them anyway?

What's that they say about today's youth being hot-headed? When they've got passion in something, they do it all the way - let's harness that energy for Dorje Shugden.

Besides, I think that the card is a step-up from "a plastic toy in a cereal packet." If only they'd let us put these cards in cereal packets, then far more people would've heard of his name and made a connection already.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 03:25:17 AM by DharmaDefender »

Big Uncle

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 03:33:46 AM »
 :D I too love this brochure and I don't particularly agree with some of you guys because I think the brochure is very skillful. Some Buddhists may rave about the spiritual assistance Dorje Shugden can bring to you but when you talk to any Tom, Dick and Harry off the street, they will just stare blankly back at you.

At one time, I tried explaining Dorje Shugden's positive qualities to a few people (who aren't Buddhist) in terms of the spiritual qualities that they will receive, they tried to switch the subject - they were obviously not interested. However, when I switched and started telling them about the assistance, wealth, intelligence and success that they will receive from Dorje Shugden, the feedback was better. Hence, this led me to think that most people aren't interested in Enlightenment and Bodhichitta or even a better rebirth. They are interested in this life and so why not tell them exactly what they can get from it because it is true too.

I have a few fellow friends who were saved from financial ruin and some from medical problems through Dorje Shugden's divine assistance. So it must be real and it must be very beneficial for people and it might even make those skeptical towards Buddhism, believe in the Dharma.  I will definitely print a couple hundred to pass out to people. Someone is bound to pick it up and get curious. Even if they throw it away, they would have been planted with some spiritual seeds from just looking at Manjushri. Even typing this out makes me excited to distribute these little brochures out.  ;D

I hope I have inspired others to do the same.  ::)

thor

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 03:47:32 AM »
Ever since the "brochure" popped up on the front of this website, i have been totally taken aback by how SPLENDID an idea it is. How simple it is to execute, and how potentially effective it can be.

The colours is LOUD, it looks like a free postcard or club flyer, and the benefits listed are worldly and basic. Yes... well, i have zero complaints. Those who have spoken do have their points, but what about an alternative view? The brochures are clearly more targeted to a particular crowd and to introduce a specific segment of people to the dorje shugden. Its young, its hip, its not too spiritual (yes dorje shugden is a dharma protector but the growth of his practice will be slower if we only look to the spiritually inclined. Others who taste the benefits of his practice will grow to love him and devoted to him over time, and come to understand the TRUE benefits), its small, easy, cheap, and it is a great advertisement for this website.

There is so much info about Dorje Shugden, and it would take hours and hours of my time to convey and introduce to even one person. The webmasters have done an excellent job with the content of this website, and i know for a fact that I would not be able to remember all the facts contained within or even speak as convincingly as those more learned folks in our forum. So what i really like about these brochures is the ability to reach out to many many many more people without having to spend hours and hours with each of them. Just point them to the website.

This site is my rock, my learning resource for dorje shugden and all of you on the forum are my support along the journey. And I thank the webmasters for always coming up with new ideas to promote dorje shugden. Your devotion and commitment is commendable.

a friend

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 04:01:27 AM »

Dulzin, you are one kind guy I have to say. This website is your rock? Wow. Well, great, you really have great patience with all the different opinions and all. This rock floats in an ocean with sometimes choppy waves ...  ;)

It's very sweet and young this enthousiasm for Dorje Shugden as a wealth god. It's true that people in their majority are not even worried with their future lives, let alone liberation or enlightenment. So if they relate to the Venerable Protector in that way, so be it, maybe it's what their minds need right now.

The only thing that worries me a little bit is that it's easily said that it doesn't matter that people might toss aside the brochure with the Protector. It does matter. It creates a negative karma to mistreat or disrespect the image of a Buddha. 

But if you are aware of all the consequences and think that the benefits outweigh the dangers ... then so be it! I hope with all my heart that people are going to treasure that brochure.