Author Topic: 2 x Dorje Shugden thangkas on auction!  (Read 5368 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
2 x Dorje Shugden thangkas on auction!
« on: October 19, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
Interesting offer and in London too! They are not very old as they are early 20th century but still I think it would be cool to have one. The price is apparently estimated at £400–600. Does any one have any idea whether this is a reasonable estimate? Aside from the inherent value that is. Or anyone know anything about these thangkas?

Thanks!

A thangka of Dorje Shugden, the Great King of Mind, early 20th century

https://www.barnebys.co.uk/auctions/lot/54311620/a-thangka-of-dorje-shugden-the-great-king-of-mind-early-20th-century/

http://www.dreweatts.com/cms/pages/lot/13816/151?utm_source=auctions&utm_medium=www.barnebys.co.uk&utm_content=chinese-ceramics-and-asian-works-of-art&utm_campaign=barnebys

2 x Tibetan Thankas
A thangka of Dorje Shugden, the Great King of Mind, early 20th century, emanation of the Buddha Manjusri, the Dharma Protector to progress along the spiritual path to enlightenment, wrathful in appearance, wearing a monk's riding hat broad rimmed and yellow, attired in the orange and yellow patchwork robes of a monk and blue brocade boots, sitting above a snow lion supported throne, with bared fangs, three bloodshot eyes, orange flame sprouting from eyebrows, the right hand holding a flaming sword, surrounded by the Great Increasing King and the Great Peaceful King, riding a white elephant, the Great Powerful King, the Great Wrathful King riding atop a Garuda, a red Vajrayogini, principal tutelary deity of the Mother Tantras, Mahakala and lama figures, 71cm high and 50.5cm high

???? ????

Wear of the cotton, colours and some creases

Chinese Ceramics and Asian Works of Art
Monday 10 November 2014, 11.00am

Dreweatts London
Bloomsbury House
24 Maddox Street
London
W1S 1PP
Viewing
1st November
11.00am-5.00pm
2nd November
11.00am-5.00pm
3rd November
10.00am-8.00pm
4th November
10.00am-5.00pm
7th November
10.00am-5.00pm
8th November
12.00pm-4.00pm
9th November
12.00pm-4.00pm
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

christine V

• Email
Re: 2 x Dorje Shugden thangkas on auction!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
This is a very old Thangka. I wonder who have kept it. This Thangka are so "powerful" it have 5 forms of Dorje Shugden, and also Vajrayogini, principal tutelary deity of the Mother Tantras, Mahakala and lama figures. Wow! It is so blessed to even look at the Thangka.

MoMo

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 03:04:42 PM »
From the photo of the item shown online, it was descripted   dated from early 20th century. I immediately imagine that these thangkas could have been produced during Pabongka Rinpoche’s era and belong to some DS practitioner who escaped from Tibet to India. It survived the long arduous journey together with it’s owner. The history behind these artifact could be quite mind blowing! I wonder how  the merchant could have acquired it ? Maybe, it was due to the hardship that the owner might face when they landed in the foreign land and had to sell it to survive.  Hope that the successful bidder was a DS practitioner to appreciate them.

thaimonk

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:10:46 PM »
I sure wish I can afford the antiques because they contain so many blessings. But I will settle for one on the online stores that this website offers. They are beautiful too.  :) :)