Author Topic: The Abbot of Gaden Shartse... with his own agenda... HMMMMMMM  (Read 31818 times)

shugdenpromoter

• Email
Dear EVERYONE,

I have been observing for awhile now what Khenpo Rinpoche Jangchup Choeden (current abbot of Gaden Shartse) has been doing since he was elected as an abbot in 2009. It is sad but unfortunately there are NO substantial RESULTS from him since he took over.

Reasons being:

1. He is never around in the monastery as he is busy travelling, unless of course HH visits.
2. He is not involved in any of the debates and some of the major activities of the monastery
3. He has not raised substantial funds for Gaden Shartse. Even this year, Gaden Shartse could not afford to repaint the stupa of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche & Kyabje Zong Rinpoche. Where does the fund goes to when he travels in the name of the monastery or... is it for himself?

When Lati Rinpoche used to travel for the monastery, he used to raised so much funds overseas that he gave so much money back to the monastery. Even Kensur Jampa Rinpoche and Kensur Kunshok Tsering.
You literally see new buildings and the monks welfare being taken care of from the funds they have collected. Plus they co

4. This is very interesting point is very interesting and also very revealing, Gaden Shartse website is really outdated and backdated... come on, this monastery is like the Oxford & Cambridge of the Gelugpa lineage... take a look:

http://www.gadenshartse.net/

COMPARED TO

Khenpo Rinpoche Jangchup Choeden @ Current Abbot of Gaden Shartse own website.

http://www.jangchupchoeden.org/

WOW!!! A BIG DIFFERENCE, ISN'T IT?

The last time I checked, an abbot's main role is to promote the monastery and also make sure the monastery is OK and always looked after.

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Is the current Abbot here for his own agenda... to promote himself or to promote Gaden Shartse.

icy

Re: The Abbot of Gaden Shartse... with his own agenda... HMMMMMMM
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »
Khenpo Rinpoche Jangchup Choeden claims he is learned, experienced and lived a monastic life but does not assume his responsibility of a Khenpo.  Certainly repercussions will catch up on him.   I am saddened by his attitude and lack of care towards his fellow brother sanghas and Dratsang.  He is seen to be using his opportunity and position to build up his wealth and connections for his retirement as Khenpo instead of looking after the welfare of the sanghas in Gaden.  I pray he will realise that his abbotship means much more than looking after his own welfare and future.

Namdrol

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 12:39:36 AM »
I heard that the abbots of monasteries like Sera Drepung and Gaden are handpicked by the Dalai Lama, therefore at these sensitive times, I am sure the criteria of appoiment of abbots could very well be politically motivated, in other words, the Dalai Lama would pick someone who can help to control the Dorje Shugden issues in the monastery, and to put it in a negative way, a puppet.

It is a very sad state, the abbot of the great Gaden Monastery used to be really attained masters like Kedrupje, Panchen Sonam Drakpa, Lati Rinpoche...but now it seems spiritual attainments are not the criteria anymore, it has become politically motivated.

From what Shugdenpromoted said, it seems the current abbot really does not have what it takes to lead the monastery, he may be a learned Geshe, but that's all, it does not mean he is kind enough to care about the welfare of the monastery.

Another dry scholar who goes nowhere, I really hope his term of abbotship ends prematurely, sorry. His actions really bring down the prestige of the great Gaden.

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 01:53:44 AM »
The disciplinarian of Gaden Shartze Monastery to which Jangchup Choeden belongs to scolded the abbot. Yes you heard correctly. During the puja gathering of monks, the disciplinarian Geshe Jangchup Dorje in front of the sangha said the abbot is rarely around, does not give classe, take in students, train students, improve the facilities of Gaden, attend debates sessions to oversee, does not raise funds for the needs of the Gaden Shartze sangha. The sangha of Gaden Shartze are unhappy with the abbot and awaiting for him to resign.

This abbot Jangchup Choeden is a student of Kensur Jampa Yeshe and Kyabje Lati Rinpoche, yet he speaks against Shugden asking monks to renounce Shugden's practice. He does his best to join in on all Dalai Lama talks and teachings around the world neglecting his duties at Gaden.  He wants to be seen with the Dalai Lama as much as possible. He has gone on personal fundraising tours in America and Europe to raise funds for himself but never for the sangha-for this he has a very bad reputation. It's time for him to practice the dharma of all the teachings he has already received. He is now 47 years old and when he was chosen by Dalai Lama as Abbot of Gaden Shartze all the sangha was shocked and taken aback when there are so many senior and learned Geshes available. But it is clear now, he was chosen as he will fall in line with the destruction of the Shugden lineage or rather the policies on the ban on Shugden.

The Gaden Shartze Abbot's political agenda perhaps makes him look good now in the eyes of CTA, but eventually he will lose his position and retire without the respect of the sangha. As of now, they are already waiting for him to retire and let someone dedicated to the welfare of Tsongkapa's doctrine and Gaden ascend the throne of Gaden Shartze Monastery. I am apologetic to say, I hope a new abbot will arise should this abbot not change his direction. The ban on Shugden has promoted people in positions that they should never have been given.

He takes more interest in his own blog site than the whole website of Gaden Shartze Monastery which is very dated. The abbot speaks and writes English and understands the power of social media, yet does nothing for Shartze's website.

Abbot's private blog:

http://www.msullivangraphics.com/jangchoe/Khen%20Rinpoche%20%20Jangchup%20Choeden%20Biography.htm

Gaden Shartze's website:

TK

(photo of Abbot of Gaden Shartze Monastery)

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:56:22 AM »
Oh no. This is very sad to hear indeed. It is sad to hear that there are monks, who despite much studies in the Dharma still decide to do something of this nature. It has been very clearly outlined in the Lamrim and also many other teachings that taking what belongs to the sangha and not performing the duties will result in the birth of the very painful temporal hells. Hundreds of monks in Ganden Shartse suffer due to his recklessness!

How can it be that the CTA allows this sort of behavior to persist just because he tows in line with their policy? this is so illogical at so many levels! This is no longer about Dorje Shugden. This is no longer about towing in line with the policies, but this is more evidence that the CTA does not hesitate to destroy Dharma for their own purposes and reasons, whatever they may be. And they want to rule Tibet proper? NEVER.

Even communist china manage to give their choice of Panchen Lama a proper Geshe education and he has grown up to be a very knowledgable lama in his own right. China is now restoring the many temples they once destroyed due to misguidance. China is allowing Tibetan Buddhists in Tibet to build monuments as long as it is within the city council's approval. What did CTA do again? so why criticize China?

Even tho this abbot has created unbelievable amounts of negative karma, the karma still falls back on the people who allowed him to assume this position and it will be the very cause of CTA degenerating even further into nothing but a mere society. THAT DAY WILL HAPPEN. The ban on Dorje Shugden does not help anyone, but helps the CTA to create more and more unfortunate circumstances for themselves. They better start painting signs that say Tibetan Political Society. No more CTA for you even! bye bye!

Manjushri

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 06:48:59 AM »
After reading this article, I am in shock how the current abbot of Gaden Shartse monastery can abandon the interests of the entire sangha of Shartse and focus on things that go against the teachings of Dharma - i.e the 'self', politics, not showing care and compassion! How can the abbot, who has the status akin to a prime minister and the responsibility for the nation, not have the interests of the entire Sangha under him as primary priority. Where's the pratice of the 8 verses of thought transformation, the correct leadership that the Abbot should show to the Sangha so that they should all aspire to his qualities? A leader with no respect is doomed to fail.

Anyways, I went to both sites to check it out. The Gaden Shartse website is really backwards as compared to the website belonging to Khenpo Rinpoche Jangchup Choeden. And you know what I am more surprised about? In Khenpo Rinpoche Jangchup Choeden's website.. I can't even find any particular section stating his role in Gaden Shartse or even promoting Gaden Shartse! How to raise funds for the monastery if it is not even mentioned in his site? Clearly shows what his motivation is. 

shugdenpromoter

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 09:18:10 AM »
What makes me very disturbed is that there are so many more qualified Geshe Lharampa who are more qualified and have shown devotion to Gaden Shartse then this current abbot. In my eyes and many more, they would have made fantastic abbot.

However, because of the political situation, they are not chosen. Before the current abbot was elected, I was told that the monks was NOT PERMITTED to submit names from Dokhang Khamtsen (Trijang Rinpoche Khamtsen) due to obvious reasons.

CTA has permitted one of their main assets ie the monastery to be disrupted in the name of politics. Silly.

sonamdhargey

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
It's unheard off until I read this article that an Abott of Ganden Shartse has his own personal agenda instead of caring and raising funds for his Monastery. The world is degrading so much that this is happening in a very respected Monastery. It definitely reflect very badly on the Abott and the Monastery. Are there a ways for the Monastery Sangha member address issue and get the Abott replaced?

tsangpakarpo

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »
I quote from a book:

'Many meditators, scholars, monks happily forego good food and clothing, and live a simple life, yet they remain attached to a good reputation, whuch is hardest to give up. Above the entrance to the cave it may say, "Retreat in progress. Do not disturb." but inside the retreatant is hoping for recognition as a great meditator.' The scholar has hopes of acclaim for his great knowledge and the monk for his pure morality. Such thoughts attract obstacles and prevent anything valuable from being accomplished.

And this will be the downfall of Khenpo Rinpoche Jangchup Choeden if he continues to live selfish life. Not only he will lose his reputation but also lose the opportunity to garner more merits in the times to come. The 'job' of an abbot is so noble as to be able to take charge of the thousands of monks in Gaden Shartze.

Gaden Monastery was built by the great Lord Tsongkhapa himself, how fortunate for Khenpo Rinpoche to helm the role of abbot but what a disgrace he abuses his position for his own fame and does not use his skills and position for the betterment of his fellow monks and monastery.

It is really sad to see religion is being influenced by politics. There must be a separation between the two for  everyone to progress in their practice!

dondrup

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:00:57 AM »
From Khenpo Rinpoche  Jangchup Choeden’s biography in his website, we can see that he is very learned and qualified, knows English and Mandarin, trained under many high lamas of Gaden Shartse Monastery and he traveled extensively around the World to serve others.

With such outstanding resume, one would expect the abbot to take good care of his own monastery.  But that is not so judging from all the unfavourable and negative comments from this thread about Khenpo Rinpoche.  If all these comments are true, then it is very unbecoming of an abbot from Gaden Shartse Monastery! 

If the sangha is already unhappy and awaiting for his resignation, why is Khenpo Rinpoche not addressing this problem and still remain an abbot until today?

If Khenpo Rinpoche is a mere puppet of the political agenda that is anti-Dorje Shugden, whose main priority is to please HH Dalai Lama, CTA and his own personal agenda, then it is truly very fortunate for the future development of Gaden Shartse Monastery!

Why would Khenpo Rinpoche bother to serve others outside the monastery than serving his own sangha community? Has Khenpo Rinpoche forgotten about the welfare of the Gaden Shartse Monastery’s sangha?

However we hope there is still slight good quality remaining from Khenpo Rinpoche i.e. to have the interest of the Gaden Shartze Monastery's sangha first than anything else because that’s amongst the job functions of an abbot.

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 10:10:48 AM »
The disciplinarian of Gaden Shartze Monastery to which Jangchup Choeden belongs to scolded the abbot. Yes you heard correctly. During the puja gathering of monks, the disciplinarian Geshe Jangchup Dorje in front of the sangha said the abbot is rarely around, does not give classe, take in students, train students, improve the facilities of Gaden, attend debates sessions to oversee, does not raise funds for the needs of the Gaden Shartze sangha. The sangha of Gaden Shartze are unhappy with the abbot and awaiting for him to resign.

This abbot Jangchup Choeden is a student of Kensur Jampa Yeshe and Kyabje Lati Rinpoche, yet he speaks against Shugden asking monks to renounce Shugden's practice. He does his best to join in on all Dalai Lama talks and teachings around the world neglecting his duties at Gaden.  He wants to be seen with the Dalai Lama as much as possible. He has gone on personal fundraising tours in America and Europe to raise funds for himself but never for the sangha-for this he has a very bad reputation. It's time for him to practice the dharma of all the teachings he has already received. He is now 47 years old and when he was chosen by Dalai Lama as Abbot of Gaden Shartze all the sangha was shocked and taken aback when there are so many senior and learned Geshes available. But it is clear now, he was chosen as he will fall in line with the destruction of the Shugden lineage or rather the policies on the ban on Shugden.

The Gaden Shartze Abbot's political agenda perhaps makes him look good now in the eyes of CTA, but eventually he will lose his position and retire without the respect of the sangha. As of now, they are already waiting for him to retire and let someone dedicated to the welfare of Tsongkapa's doctrine and Gaden ascend the throne of Gaden Shartze Monastery. I am apologetic to say, I hope a new abbot will arise should this abbot not change his direction. The ban on Shugden has promoted people in positions that they should never have been given.

He takes more interest in his own blog site than the whole website of Gaden Shartze Monastery which is very dated. The abbot speaks and writes English and understands the power of social media, yet does nothing for Shartze's website.

Abbot's private blog:

http://www.msullivangraphics.com/jangchoe/Khen%20Rinpoche%20%20Jangchup%20Choeden%20Biography.htm

Gaden Shartze's website:

TK

(photo of Abbot of Gaden Shartze Monastery)

HOW AGGRAVATING TO READ ABOUT. This is so exemplary of the abuse of spiritual authority and power.

If he is so against Dorje Shugden, then WHY DID HE ALLOW SHAR GADEN TO PAY AND TO PAINT THE KYABJE ZONG AND KYABJE TRIJANG RINPOCHE STUPA! So hypocritical. It shows how little he cares about Gaden Shartse monastery.

In the post about Trijang Rinpoche's unqualified manager (Ridzin), many people (including me) said that it's out of compassion that high lamas keep difficult students around. The more difficult the student, the more compassionate the guru is.

However, how is it possible that Jangchup Choeden became the abbot of Gaden Shartse? Why was it allowed by the senior teachers? Is it perhaps that all the negative karma accumulated by kicking out old lamas during the Shugden ban caught up with Gaden Shartse monastery, i.e. kick out all the sincere Dharma monks, now they don't have a sincere abbot?

Is it possible to expel the abbot, or to vote him out?

Barzin

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 10:23:57 AM »
It is a very sad state, the abbot of the great Gaden Monastery used to be really attained masters like Kedrupje, Panchen Sonam Drakpa, Lati Rinpoche...but now it seems spiritual attainments are not the criteria anymore, it has become politically motivated.

Oh dear, one of the most elite monastery in the world of Buddhism could just degenerated in such a short period of time due to the misconduct or misguidance of a abbot.   I have heard much about Gaden not supporting the Shugden issues but never know the abbot can be such a great disappointment.  After all, is it their karmic repercussion for them because they turned their backs on their gurus because of the Shugden's issues?  How they actually choose to chase the Shugden practitioners out and made their sworn in, all the disharmony and politics and schism within the Sangha community...  Sad.

It seems like a big joke to me that it seems like whoever follows the foot step of CTA ended up like CTA.  I can only say, how depressing!

Klein

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »
I find it very interesting that HHDL appointed Khenpo Rinpoche Jangchup Choeden as the Abbot of Gaden Shartse Monastery knowing that the monastery will suffer as a result of his selfish pursuits. The ban on Dorje Shugden must lead to much bigger benefits. Otherwise, why would HHDL allow Gaden to suffer and lose out so much under such an irresponsible Abbot?

Or is HHDL giving the Abbot an opportunity to transform? Whatever the real reason may be, it is a shame that Gaden is neglected and suffering. Does anyone know whether the monks in Gaden are allowed to collectively write in to HHDL to request for a change in the Abbotship due to obvious reasons?

whitelion

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 11:34:47 AM »
oh no... very depressing news to know. One of the key monastery of Gelugpa lineage is degenerating and all caused by their own people. We all know this famous monastery was the mother monastery of Lama Tsongkhapa, it's very famous to educate famous Lamas and Geshe, personally i think it could be name the factory of Geshes.

But because of the political issue, the ban of Dorje Shugden, Geshes and Lamas are not allow to teach, to study nor to stay in the monastery. So why do you allow to take their money for your own use ? Gaden Shartse have your own abbot which is a qualified Geshe too, and he can speak and write in many different languages, why don't you ask him to raise fund for the monastery ? Why do you take Dorje Shugden's money ? From this "clear sign", it means that the Shartse'? Khenpo also practice DS, or why he will take money from DS.

So why CTA???????Shartse abbot??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????CTA or anyone from Shartse who  claims against Dorje Shugden, please don't ever say you are so good. You have money, help and resources from Dorje Shugden and after you used him, u say he's a demon. You are not nice at all. Whether Dorje Shugden is a demon or not, I'm not too sure. But one thing I'm sure of is whoever used others and not remembering their kindness is creating very bad karma for sure. 

If Shartse wanted to go back to Kensur Jampa Yeshe Rinpoche or Kensur Lati RInpoche's time,  this is the time to really think carefully. DS might be small now, but from the growing of DS lineage, and HH. Kyabje Trijang Choktrol Rinpoche is gaining much more wisdom and experience in sutra and tantra. The DS lineage will surely grow. 

Shartse can still stuck with CTA for now, but with no respect who will support CTA when HHDL is not anymore.

whitelion

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 11:39:44 AM »
oh no... very depressing news to know. One of the key monastery of Gelugpa lineage is degenerating and all caused by their own people. We all know this famous monastery was the mother monastery of Lama Tsongkhapa, it's very famous to educate famous Lamas and Geshe, personally i think it could be name the factory of Geshes.

But because of the political issue, the ban of Dorje Shugden, Geshes and Lamas are not allow to teach, to study nor to stay in the monastery. So why do you allow to take their money for your own use ? Gaden Shartse have your own abbot which is a qualified Geshe too, and he can speak and write in many different languages, why don't you ask him to raise fund for the monastery ? Why do you take Dorje Shugden's money ? From this "clear sign", it means that the Shartse'? Khenpo also practice DS, or why he will take money from DS.

So why CTA?allow Geshe Jangchup Choeden as the abbot of the?most scared monastery of Gelugpa. CTA or anyone from Shartse who  claims against Dorje Shugden, please don't ever say that anymore. You have money, help and resources from Dorje Shugden and after you used him, u say he's a demon. You are not nice at all. Whether Dorje Shugden is a demon or not, I'm not too sure. But one thing I'm sure of is whoever used others and not remembering their kindness is creating very bad karma.

If Shartse wanted to go back to Kensur Jampa Yeshe Rinpoche or Kensur Lati RInpoche's time,  this is the time to really think carefully. DS might be small now, but from the growing of DS lineage, and HH. Kyabje Trijang Choktrol Rinpoche is gaining much more wisdom and experience in sutra and tantra. The DS lineage will surely grow. 

Shartse can still stuck with CTA for now, but with no respect who will support CTA when HHDL is not anymore.