Author Topic: China may use dissident sect against Dalai Lama: Tibet  (Read 4878 times)

DharmaDefender

China may use dissident sect against Dalai Lama: Tibet
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:21:39 AM »
I just picked this off the Internet (http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-05-15/india/31711112_1_government-in-exile-dalai-lama-tibetan-leader) which I found pretty interesting. I have always wondered why people need armed guards for. Is it because they did something wrong that has pissed off someone, or they have done something right that has pissed off someone?

A few years ago, I had a chat with an older Lebanese gentleman who told me that when he was younger, he remembers things being so free and safe that anyone could walk up to the front door of their Presidents home, knock on it and speak to him. This was pre-current Middle East conflict of course, but it makes you wonder why people have reason to be so defence-oriented.

I just find it slightly ridiculous that the Tibetans feel the 5000 of us in India could harm the Dalai Lama, when the entire might of the Chinese nation couldnt harm him in 1959. Even if we wanted to (and we do NOT), it would seem quite silly to harm the Dalai Lama when we are already at the mercy of the rest of the Tibetan population. Hung, drawn and quartered in the 2010s? No thanks.

DHARAMSHALA: The Tibetan government-in-exile on Monday pointed its finger towards a splinter community among Tibetans - the around 5000-strong Dorje Shugden community - after the Dalai Lama had raised an alarm on Sunday over threat to his life.

The Dalai Lama has not recognized this community - members of which live underground - and had put a ban on them in 1996, saying they do not conform to the principles of Buddhism, sources said. Members of the community are also not allowed to vote in the elections of the Tibetan government.

The Dalai Lama told the New Delhi correspondent of UK's Sunday Telegraph that he had received reports from inside Tibet warning that Chinese agents had trained Tibetan women for a mission to poison him while posing as devotees.

"There is a threat perception from this community as the Chinese may use their anger against the Dalai Lama to cause harm to the spiritual leader," said religion and culture minister of the government-in-exile Pema Chinjor.

What has made doubts stronger is an anonymous letter, of which TOI has a copy, allegedly written by Dorje Shugden administration to the Tibetan administration, saying that the Dalai Lama should be unbiased towards all Tibetans and should not exclude them from his fold.

GUARDING THE DALAI LAMA Tibetan spiritual leader has been given special category security cover, above Z plus There is a 2-tier security cordon in place - outer one is manned by Himachal Pradesh police and the inner cordon by specially-trained personnel from the Tibetan government-in-exile

IB and state CID personnel have been deployed at Tekchen Choling, the Dalai Lama's residence, in McLeodganj; at least 17 CCTV cameras have been installed in and around his residence which are monitored by a control room inside the residence

There are three entrances to the Dalai Lama's residence. Apart from frisking by securitymen, five metal detectors have been installed at all the entrances

Prior permission from the private office of the Dalai Lama is required for a meeting with the Tibetan leader

Private audiences with the Dalai Lama are usually scheduled thrice a week. Applications for private audience with the Dalai Lama have to be made well in advance

Media requests for an interaction with the dalai Lama have to be given at least 6 months in advance

The practice of the Dalai Lama accepting Khatas (white scarf) from his followers has now been stopped. Now his secretary receives the Khatas on his behalf on the instruction of his security wing

During his public teachings, people are not allowed to carry mobile phones, cameras or any other electronic device; only cushions, FM radios, drinking cups and hats are allowed

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
Re: China may use dissident sect against Dalai Lama: Tibet
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:03:53 AM »
It is really unfair how the CTA blames everything on the Dorje Shugden community that they have persecuted for such a long time. The CTA must realize that they have made a lot of people unhappy especially with their interference with the free-working mechanism of democracy, stifling free speech especially from quarters that are advocating for Tibet's independence. Their butting their noses into the Karmapa issue have not helped them as well. Essentially by endorsing Tai Situpa's candidate Orgyen Trinley as the 17th Karmapa, there are those who see that as an act of betrayal as Orgeyn Trinley has been accused of being pro-Chinese. The same act would also have angered India because if Orgyen Trinley finally takes over Rumtek, then Sikkim (where Rumtek Monastery is located) is closer to China's grasp bearing in mind that China has never agreed to Sikkim's merger with India.

The self immolations that have been taking place is also a sign that Tibetans are unhappy with the CTA after so many failed promises and unfulfilled pledges to return them to their own country. But again, the CTA cannot point fingers at the Karma Kagyu sect nor the Tibetan population at large, so they blame Dorje Shugden worshippers again which is ridiculous.

Firstly, the Shugden practitioner are known to the Tibetan community. How? They are the ones who have been ostracized, denied public welfare and voting rights for over a decade. They are constantly being watched. Second, Shugden practitioners are least likely to get into close proximity of the Dalai Lama as they are not allowed to attend teachings and other activities conducted by the Dalai Lama. Third, the reason why Shugden worshippers have "gone underground" is because they are essentially a peace-loving people who continue to love and revere the Dalai Lama despite His Holiness banning their practice. Why would they want to harm the Dalai Lama after having reacclimatized to the ban?

Moreover I think that China is quite happy leaving the Dalai Lama alone as they go on to win the hearts of Tibetans by improving their livelihoods, create economic opportunities and promote Tibetan Buddhism. Why would China risk everything by wanting to assassinate the Dalai Lama? CTA is up to its old tricks again with the false propaganda to distract attention away from their own failures.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:18:51 PM »
There is no way in hell that China would want HH the Dalai Lama to die under suspicious circumstances because this would make a martyr out of him and it would create huge instability and unrest in Tibet. The Chinese secret service probably have a team to make sure the Dalai Lama is safe!!! i also think that if the Chinese DID want to assassinate the Dalai Lama, they would definitely have done so by now and probably so subtly that it would look like natural causes. So all in all, a death threat is highly implausible. Blaming any death threat to Dorje Shugden practitioners is really laughable also. True Dorje Shugden practitioners do not have anger towards the Dalai Lama. How can one have anger to Chenrezig??

What has made doubts stronger is an anonymous letter, of which TOI has a copy, allegedly written by Dorje Shugden administration to the Tibetan administration, saying that the Dalai Lama should be unbiased towards all Tibetans and should not exclude them from his fold.

How can the above be threatening? It is a request for equality.

Refusing to accept khatas is also rather OTT i think. Are they worried that there will be a murder attempt with a khata? Like what happened to Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen??
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:03:38 PM »
I just picked this off the Internet (http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-05-15/india/31711112_1_government-in-exile-dalai-lama-tibetan-leader) which I found pretty interesting. I have always wondered why people need armed guards for. Is it because they did something wrong that has pissed off someone, or they have done something right that has pissed off someone?

A few years ago, I had a chat with an older Lebanese gentleman who told me that when he was younger, he remembers things being so free and safe that anyone could walk up to the front door of their Presidents home, knock on it and speak to him. This was pre-current Middle East conflict of course, but it makes you wonder why people have reason to be so defence-oriented.

I just find it slightly ridiculous that the Tibetans feel the 5000 of us in India could harm the Dalai Lama, when the entire might of the Chinese nation couldnt harm him in 1959. Even if we wanted to (and we do NOT), it would seem quite silly to harm the Dalai Lama when we are already at the mercy of the rest of the Tibetan population. Hung, drawn and quartered in the 2010s? No thanks.

DHARAMSHALA: The Tibetan government-in-exile on Monday pointed its finger towards a splinter community among Tibetans - the around 5000-strong Dorje Shugden community - after the Dalai Lama had raised an alarm on Sunday over threat to his life.

The Dalai Lama has not recognized this community - members of which live underground - and had put a ban on them in 1996, saying they do not conform to the principles of Buddhism, sources said. Members of the community are also not allowed to vote in the elections of the Tibetan government.

The Dalai Lama told the New Delhi correspondent of UK's Sunday Telegraph that he had received reports from inside Tibet warning that Chinese agents had trained Tibetan women for a mission to poison him while posing as devotees.

"There is a threat perception from this community as the Chinese may use their anger against the Dalai Lama to cause harm to the spiritual leader," said religion and culture minister of the government-in-exile Pema Chinjor.

GUARDING THE DALAI LAMA Tibetan spiritual leader has been given special category security cover, above Z plus There is a 2-tier security cordon in place - outer one is manned by Himachal Pradesh police and the inner cordon by specially-trained personnel from the Tibetan government-in-exile

IB and state CID personnel have been deployed at Tekchen Choling, the Dalai Lama's residence, in McLeodganj; at least 17 CCTV cameras have been installed in and around his residence which are monitored by a control room inside the residence

There are three entrances to the Dalai Lama's residence. Apart from frisking by securitymen, five metal detectors have been installed at all the entrances

Prior permission from the private office of the Dalai Lama is required for a meeting with the Tibetan leader

Private audiences with the Dalai Lama are usually scheduled thrice a week. Applications for private audience with the Dalai Lama have to be made well in advance

Media requests for an interaction with the dalai Lama have to be given at least 6 months in advance

The practice of the Dalai Lama accepting Khatas (white scarf) from his followers has now been stopped. Now his secretary receives the Khatas on his behalf on the instruction of his security wing

During his public teachings, people are not allowed to carry mobile phones, cameras or any other electronic device; only cushions, FM radios, drinking cups and hats are allowed

It is very clear to me that the CTA has used some funds allocated for their development to bribe the media to write nasty things about Dorje Shugden, and they have people at the police station to misinform the police there so that they will make incorrect statements. But however it is, it would spark more people to google about Dorje Shugden and when they do, guess what pops up? This website! and indirectly, this article although misinformed, will make more people investigate about Dorje Shugden than not. A brilliant strategy!

lotus1

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »
This is just so ridiculous to say that the 5000 Dorje Shugden practitioners would harm HH Dalai Lama. We do not agree to the ban of HHDL on Dorje Shugden, but that does not mean we do not respect him and even want to harm him. We still respect him and I have HHDL on my altar too, as HHDL is part of the Gelug lineage. It would be stupid for us to harm HHDL as that would create tremendous negative karma to harm a Sangha member, especially a high lama.

Just like in this dorjeshudgen.com and forum, we just voice out our opinions, and list out all the points with logics and prove that we believe the ban is ridiculous.

On the contrary, I believe a lot of DS high lamas have good relationship with China in order to bring Dharma back to Tibet and China. This would also helps to work from within the country to preserve the unique Tibetan culture, language and religion. Check this out : http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/the-controversy/how-the-shugden-lamas-are-bringing-tibetans-back-to-tibet/

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 06:57:25 AM »
It is so amusing to read that the CTA are pointing their fingers to the very minority group of Shugdenpas in India for wanting to harm HH Dalai Lama's life. Just because the group of about 5000 insist on following instructions of their precious lama to continue with their practice of Dorje Shugden. Despite all the ill treatments and being ostracized, these faithful followers bear on, keeping the teachings and their vows to their teacher to heart. And this would include one of the refuge vows of refraining from killing. So, how could they even think of killing or harming HHDL who is Chenrezig?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 02:06:28 PM »
I dont know if it is just me but I do feel that this article would have been written by the CTA but in a very delusional way. They want to do anything they can just to get rid of their "enemies" and they keep insulting Dorje Shugden practitioners repeatedly when they could have spent their time on something more productive. The problem here for them here (and unfortunately) is that most of the more capable Lamas also happen to be Shugdenpas and so the CTA is on the losing side of the ship...especially when the Dalai Lama enters clear light (which we hope to not happen for a long time).