Author Topic: Lama Yeshe & Geshe Kelsang  (Read 27572 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Re: Lama Yeshe & Geshe Kelsang
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2012, 12:49:41 PM »
There has been some discussion about the possible motives regarding what happened at Manjushri Institute. As I was not there I don't feel in any position to comment, although knowing some of the people who were part of the so called, "Priory Group" I can say that they are some of the most gentle and humble people I know; people who I could not possibly attribute any malicious motivations to, if you met them you would also know how silly and out of proportion some of the speculations on this matter are.
I have also read about what happened to the Manjushri institute as the Goodnight, Lama tapes: http://thedorjeshugdengroup.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/good-night-lama-the-blackmail-tape/ to me, that letter did not feel malicious, although some people would like to see it as that way. GKG had to protect his rights to something and people want to make it sound controversial.  I have heard many good things about NKT people, but since they are a huge organization, it is only fair that there is also a number of people who think that they are bad. I find that a lot of people tend to take this point to criticize NKT but it is not fair at all. It's like saying that all Catholics are pedophiles because one or two priests are.

Anyway, in Geshe Kelsang's web discussions back in 1997 he discussed this point a little, I quote both the question and the answer, it seems very clear from Geshe-la's answer that there was no disagreement between Lama Yeshe and Geshe Kelsang regarding the main purpose of their lives, to be Qualified Spiritual Guides:

Question: By the way, didn't you get to the position you have today through the kindness of the late Lama Yeshe and the FMPT? Trying to criticize Kopan Monastery and Je Lama Zopa is a strange way to repay that isn't it?

Answer from Geshe Kelsang: I have already said that I never criticise these other Lamas. Instead of this I have great sympathy for them because they have had to stop their daily practice of Dorje Shugden, which is their commitment. They have no choice about this. Day and night I pray how wonderful it would be if these Lamas could have religious freedom. Because we all are disciples of HH Trijang Rinpoche, these Lamas are my vajra brothers, we have the same spiritual father. The main reason why I have involved myself in this debate, and why I am telling the truth about the Dalai Lama, is in the hope that his mind will change and he will give these Lamas and other practitioners the freedom to worship in the way they wish. It is my choice to help in this way.
There is no proof that Geshe Keslang is going against Lama Yeshe or Lama Zopa in any way. It is pretty easy tho for people to think that he is because sometimes, people need some excitement in their lives. I have never heard of any NKT members criticize Lama Yeshe, Lama Zopa or FPMT in any way, but I have heard many FPMT members criticizing NKT and Geshe Keslang many times. One thing great is that Geshe Keslang is doing something for the interest of Dorje Shugden at the risk of his own reputation and this to me is a great offering to Dorje Shugden himself.

Do you know what was Lama Yeshe’s intention in organizing Dharma Centres in the west and inviting Tibetan teachers? It seems that you do not understand this. His intention was to spread Buddhadharma throughout western countries, and with this intention he invited me to come to Manjushri Institute in England. He then requested HH Trijang Rinpoche to ask me to come to England. Finally, at Trijang Rinpoche’s request I accepted this invitation. I arrived in England in 1977 and since that time I have worked very hard to spread Buddhadharma and can show very good results. In this way I have fulfilled Lama Yeshe’s wishes. Your comment makes no sense, so I think you need to improve your understanding about Lama Yeshe's main intention.
Even Lama Yeshe's own students know not of his intentions, so i dont blame anyone for misunderstanding Lama Yeshe and Geshe Keslang, but I do like the way Geshe Keslang handled the accusations. It felt that he was calm and did not panic throughout the whole interview and he answered and explained everything calmly and well.

Thank you for posting this interview snippet up or else we will never know what really happened. As everyone knows, facts and letters can be doctored or altered to make someone look bad on purpose and by not hearing the other side of the story, we would have developed wrong view against Geshe Keslang on this matter. The website I linked above has every intention of making sure that happens.