Author Topic: Power of Dalai Lama  (Read 43474 times)

Helena

• Email
Re: Power of Dalai Lama
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 04:24:21 PM »
Well said, DS Friend.

Bringing Buddhism to the world, even to the very fore of mainstream media and making it hip and cool even for the celebrities - now every corner of the globe, we can find a Dharma center close by. That is not an easy feat and certainly not an accident.

Consider how difficult and perilous it was in the old days - where even in Tibet, monks and lamas had to travel days or months just to receive teachings or hear a teaching.

We are very fortunate at this day and age and yet, we are not.

It is very much our own collective and personal individual karma ripening.

Best thing to do is to grab every opportunity to practice more, learn more and master what our Guru has taught us. Make most of the opportunities we have now and be grateful that we can still find ways to do what we choose to do.

Despite everything else, Dorje Shugden Monasteries still rise, are built and will continue to flourish. Many people will continue to practice and more will begin to practice.

Dorje Shugden and HIS PRACTICE are not dying in any sense. Not at all.

Helena

beggar

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 04:34:11 PM »
I think it would be more beneficial and helpful to our practice to rejoice in the good instead of wallow in the bad - karmically and in terms of our merit (or demerit), this would be much better for our own practice of awareness and wisdom.

Also, please see this thread, "After the Dalai Lama": http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=1015.0

I think what tk says here is very relevant to this discussion. Instead of spending so much time talking about what will come to pass and which doesn't really bring benefit, why don't we spend the energy on something that can lead people to something more helpful to their lives and practice - promoting what good there is in the situation.

A rehabituation (from immediately looking at the negative to considering something positive) is necessary!

Big Uncle

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2011, 12:32:42 AM »
Yes. I think if we want to find fault in any Lama or person for that matter, it is very easy as our obscurations are a lot. I think that is why rejoicing in the good qualities of others, especially one like the Dalai Lama is paramount towards developing merits to have their good qualities. Is becomes and is a spiritual practice in the Lamrim and on top of that, it is one when we propitiate Lama Tsongkhapa in Gaden Lhagyalma when we rejoice in his tremendous good deeds that he has done. I think the same, should apply to any Lama...

beggar

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2011, 04:20:35 PM »
Rejoicing even in the good qualities of someone who is NOT enlightened or attained or higher, is helpful also because we consider the potential of someone instead of just focusing on their faults. It is good for us to learn to look at positive aspects of a person and to consider how we can bring out the best in them and help them - then we grow ourselves, we put what we learn into practice, we become more skilful to help others. This is better than "training" our minds to look for the negative, which makes us push people away. Then we create the karma to always see the bad in someone and we push people further and further away.

This applies I think to high Lamas and ordinary beings, our peers etc.

DSFriend

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2011, 05:33:50 PM »
Developing such view as shared by Beggar and Big Uncle is one that is truly easier said than done.

We don't need any effort at all to "perceive" others' negativities and takes pride in it thinking that we have the "wisdom" to see it. That will hold true IF we are just as quick to perceive positive qualities in that "ill natured" person, people whom we don't like, people whom have crossed us...

So if we find ourselves fixated ONLY/mostly with what's negative in the Dalai Lama, any other lamas, any persons for that matter, than I'd think best we not kid ourselves and take heed.

If we allow ourselves to view people negatively, view faults in our lama,...when will it stop. If we allow ourselves to pick at one fault, that will lead us to the 2nd fault, 3rd fault... which will then be creating much obstacles for ourselves in developing the view that our Guru is one with Vajradhara Buddha.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2011, 05:56:50 PM »
Dear Big Uncle and Beggar, I agree whole-heartedly with what you both wrote.

It does apply to everyone - young or old, ordained or not, Highly attained or not.

Imagine if, with our own flaws and shortcomings, we are rejected or branded as a useless and hopeless cause - no one is bothered to look at our potential or just keep highlighting and reminding us of our faults and weaknesses, and that seem to be the only thing that everyone is fixated on about us, our mistakes, our negativities - what would become of us? What kind of people would we grow into? Would we grow at all?

Imagine if no one ever forgave us for all the things that we have done wrong and no one would ever give us another chance? Where would we be today?

Truth is - we do want people to accept the worst of us but to always imagine our best potential. We would them to understand us and help us. We would appreciate anyone who would nurture us and guide us as well.

That part is definitely easy to do. It is doing the same unto others that we have problem getting it right and consistent.

I believe it is a matter of training our minds and attitude.

We are not used to doing this for others. Hence, we find it difficult. We have been so accustomed to expecting others to do it for us all this time.

I remember one gentleman who told me that he is not worried when working with difficult people. He said, "I am not interested in engaging the 80% bad in a person. I am only interested in engaging the 20% good in him or her. Because that 20% can become bigger and take over the rest of the person with help, nurturing, care and kindness."

At the end of the day, results do speak for themselves - the people whom this gentleman have worked with, do eventually become much better people. Even those who have been hardened criminals before. They all changed after working with him.

It really does make a difference when someone actually believes in us and paints a picture of a better person whom we can become for us to see. Without seeing a picture of a better us, how can we even begin to imagine that we can also become better?

Helena

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2011, 03:27:06 AM »
I found this interesting article, where the Dalai Lama advises to "take action without using negative emotion" in the face of adversity, which is what this website is advocating when taking a stance against the ban imposed on Dorje Shugden practice. This is all about not expressing negative emotion, which is what i think Buddhism is about, right? I still read words of hatred elsewhere on the net against the Dalai Lama because of the Shugden issue and likewise words from the pro-Dalai Lama anti-Shugden camp. If we are to represent the Dharma well, shouldn't we stop already with the anger against each other, ignorance of the real issues and the toxic attachment to the anger?

HOW TO BE COMPASSIONATE TO ENEMIES?
Someone asked the following question to His Holiness the Dalai Lama:

"How does a person or group of people compassionately and yet straightforwardly confront another person or group of people who have committed crimes of genocide against them?

His Holiness: "When talking about compassion and compassionately dealing with such situations one must bear in mind what is meant by compassionately dealing with such cases. Being compassionate towards such people or such a person does not mean that you allow the other person to do whatever the other person or group of people wishes to do, inflicting suffering upon you and so on. Rather, compassionately dealing with such a situation has a different meaning.
When a person or group of people deals with such a situation and tries to prevent such crimes there is generally speaking two ways in which you could do that, or one could say, two motivations. One is out of confrontation, out of hatred that confronts such a situation. There is another case in which, although in action it may be of the same force and strength, but the motivation would not be out of hatred and anger but rather out of compassion towards the perpetrators of these crimes.

Realising that if you allow the other person, the perpetrator of the crime, to indulge his or her own negative habits then in the long run the other person or group is going to suffer the consequences of that negative action. Therefore, out of the consideration of the potential suffering for the perpetrator of such crimes, then you confront the situation and apply equally forceful and strong measures.

I think this is quite relevant and important in modern society, especially in a competitive society. When someone genuinely practices compassion, forgiveness and humility then sometimes some people will take advantage of such a situation. Sometimes it is necessary to take a countermeasure, then with that kind of reasoning and compassion, the countermeasure is taken with reasoning and compassion rather than out of negative emotion. That is actually more effective and appropriate. This is important. For example my own case with Tibet in a national struggle against injustice we take action without using negative emotion. It sometimes seems more effective."
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Helena

• Email
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2011, 07:00:27 PM »
Thanks for this great article, WB.

Its very profound indeed.

I'd like to say that I can easily practise what His Holiness is saying because I do agree with every word His Holiness says here, but I know I am not qualified.

I cannot say for sure that my motivation is truly out of compassion. And I cannot say that my motivation is also free from the 8 Worldly Concerns.

I think Enlightened Beings are able operate from their innate compassion as they have been doing so for many lifetimes. Their attainments are accumulative over lifetimes and reinforced in each lifetime.

I can barely control my anger in some instances.

Having said that, this article helps me contemplate my actions and especially thoughts deeper.

It encourages me to question my motives - be it bad or good so that I am really clear as well.

I think among many things, this is what I appreciate about Buddhism and the Protector practice - it makes me see things deeper, clearer and become more aware - or at least, work towards becoming more aware.

I no longer feel I am justified to just express whatever I feel like expressing and take whatever I feel I want as if I am entitled.

Helena

Big Uncle

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2011, 05:21:02 AM »

Developing such view as shared by Beggar and Big Uncle is one that is truly easier said than done.

Dear DSFriend,

I am sorry but I don't agree with you. Anything positive or negative can become easier with effort and sometimes a certain behaviour is harder to overcome or change because we have placed a lot of effort towards this in the past. Anything hard can become easier. All depends on karma and effort... and that is determined by our actions. Hence, everything we need to do is determined by our actions. So, I am sure it applies to this as well. I mean you no offense but this is what I think as my Lama has told me this once when I gave the same remark.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »

Dear DSFriend,

I am sorry but I don't agree with you. Anything positive or negative can become easier with effort and sometimes a certain behaviour is harder to overcome or change because we have placed a lot of effort towards this in the past. Anything hard can become easier. All depends on karma and effort... and that is determined by our actions. Hence, everything we need to do is determined by our actions. So, I am sure it applies to this as well. I mean you no offense but this is what I think as my Lama has told me this once when I gave the same remark.

I agree with you Big Uncle. If people continue to only see the negative side of His Holiness, there is no way to convince them to see otherwise.  But it is possible to overcome the habit of looking at someone's negative qualities.

Despite Dalai Lama's political "front" where his policies might not be what we agree with, we cannot deny his spiritual contributions. Dalai Lama is real as his qualities are real, and it can't be that the whole world is wrong and is ignorant, especially in this day and age where news spreads fast and far.

Atishas cook

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2011, 03:45:18 PM »
judge him by his actions, and react appropriately, with love in your heart.

his actions are harmful; you people are deluding yourselves.  i'm sorry.

DSFriend

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2011, 04:29:41 PM »

Dear DSFriend,

Absolutely right! easier said than done but NOT impossible. Else we'd all be left absolutely without hope!

beggar

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »
judge him by his actions, and react appropriately, with love in your heart.

There are various ways of reacting "appropriately".
I think speaking very negatively, hurling insults and reacting to the Dalai Lama (or any lama) in an equally aggressive way is not appropriate.

I think it is appropriate to bring to light what the situation is, what is happening or being said and how other innocent practitioners are being suppressed. There is a difference in this and personally attacking the Dalai Lama, and this has often become a fine line.

There are so many different types of people in different situations who are suffering in different ways from this ban on Dorje Shugden. Consider the large majority of Tibetan practitioners, for example who find themselves in a very difficult dilemma, caught between one guru who tells them to practice and one who tells them not to. "Reacting appropriately" can also be about helping these people to maintain a positive view of both their Lamas and find the best possible way to keep their samaya as clear as possible for both sides. In this case, it could be promoting the GOOD actions that the Dalai Lama has done, contemplating other possibilities for what looks like negative actions and helping people to understand the Guru-disciple relationship better.

Reacting appropriately can also have nothing to do with how we react to the Dalai Lama at all. It could be all about how we help the people who are suffering right now by giving them more support and resources for their practice, giving them confidence and assurance. It could be about promoting the truth of Dorje Shugden, rather than continuously just talk about how we see the Dalai Lama's actions the motivation for which we can never really 100% know for sure.

I think reacting appropriately  (in any situation, not just this one), is about how we add something positive to a situation that can really help someone; not to add more feelings of ill-will, doubt, criticism, anger, hatred. That's a good guideline to go by, I think.

Atishas cook

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2011, 04:57:34 PM »
I think reacting appropriately  (in any situation, not just this one), is about how we add something positive to a situation that can really help someone

well i certainly respect your intention, beggar, and all of you with such a good heart here.  i guess we'll just have to agree to differ on the form our different contributions take.  good luck - i wish you well.

beggar

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2011, 05:01:04 PM »
I think reacting appropriately  (in any situation, not just this one), is about how we add something positive to a situation that can really help someone

well i certainly respect your intention, beggar, and all of you with such a good heart here.  i guess we'll just have to agree to differ on the form our different contributions take.  good luck - i wish you well.

AC: Thank you for your words. I also understand your intention and motivation and I respect that, although we differ. Ultimately, we are all trying to bring strength and support to our fellow practitioners and bring the truth to the world about the real enlightened nature of this practice. Yes, we agree to disagree, but this does not mean I do not also respect you as a fellow Dharma friend and practitioner. We support and bring truth out in many ways because there are going to be many people just like you and me, with differing (but somehow eventually, similar) views.

Respect,
beggar