Author Topic: Power of Dalai Lama  (Read 43291 times)

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
Re: Power of Dalai Lama
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 07:58:51 PM »
The ban is hurting people...still. I ache from worrying about me Tibetan friends who live this day to day. This is NOT the actions of compassion. PLEASE find another way to spread the dharma.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »
there's a huge difference between speaking out against the dalai lama vs the policies. What we tend to get caught up with is speaking against the dalai lama which brings no good to ourselves nor anyone else. peace

I think what DSFriend said is something for us to reflect on. I think there is no Shugden practitioner who is happy with the Dalai Lama for the ban, it is heartbreaking to know how practitioners suffer discrimination, being ostracised and opressed due to the policy imposed. Yet, what's the use of condeming His Holiness? I don't think protests and complaining or incriminating His Holiness will work, It hasn't worked so far although the world's media has publicised re this ban for a long time now.

If we hate the policy and ban, why not complain and protest against the TGIE instead instead of "barking" at the Dalai Lama? I don't think His Holiness will listen to any appeal since His Holiness doesn't want to grant audiences with Shugden practitioners to discuss about it.

Personally, it is quite impossible to shake people's faith from His Holiness - hence we have seen the videos of many people in 'dilemma', including those who escaped Tibet to Dharmsala, just to be ostracised again, this time by their own commnunity. These are the people who are suffering, yet they do not give up their faith on His Holiness. So why should we?

Helena

• Email
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 01:32:07 AM »
there's a huge difference between speaking out against the dalai lama vs the policies. What we tend to get caught up with is speaking against the dalai lama which brings no good to ourselves nor anyone else. Also, i wish to point out that this website do have articles and videos educating ppl about the ban, policies etc.... However, the focus shouldn't only be towards speaking against the ban ... it's about identifying and recognizing the opportunities to bring about good in the midst of the ban.  I am not condoning the ban...but i cannot deny the many opportunities arisen out of the ban for the protector to be made known throughout the world.

peace

I couldn't have said it any better myself, DS Friend.

Right now, for us, the un-enlightened ones - it is impossible to see things as they really are. Because everything that we see is stained with emotions, and our dualistic mind.

We are not able to practise the essence of the "middle way" when our emotions are so charged up.

Things happen. Time Passes by. Attaching to an idea or concept, we trap ourselves. Mind is it’s own trap when fed. Especially so, when our emotions are involved.

Of course, it is not easy to just sit by and watch. Of course, we feel for the sadness of the situation and how unfortunate it has to be this way - but then we begin to add out own thoughts into - what we think should and should not be. This leads us to further to compound our "suffering" of the situation.

I have been trying to read and understand Nagarjuna's Middle Way of late. One thing that does strike me - is that we are all very attached to our emotions and to the things we would like to see happen - even in the spiritual context.

Our inability to let go of those strong emotions might also become an attachment because we cannot accept impermanence.

I prefer to remain optimistic and not just drown myself in despair because misery leds to damnation and it does love company.

Hence, I especially liked what DS Friend wrote about seeing the various opportunities in times like these.

As everything is impermanent, this too shall pass.

In the meantime, we can do more to create the causes for better things to come and continue to practise well. Even something as "small" as distributiing brochures about Dorje Shugden or just promoting the illustrated story of Dorje Shugden to sponsoring monks in Shar Gaden and Serpom - all these are real beneficial actions that will lead to a positive future result.

What will being sad and complaining or negative actions ever bring but further bad karma?

If we really learn and understand the Middle View by Nagarjuna - we can start to practise. It is times like these that we can and should practise even more. If it were all peaceful and rosy, how do we ever get to practise?

Dorje Shugden wears the round domed hat for a reason. It is not just a fashion statement.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:49:04 PM by beggar »
Helena

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2010, 08:15:54 PM »
Everyday we are reminded of how great His Holiness is - despite the controversy. Two news to share with everyone:

1. Sikkim govt bans killing of animals during Dalai Lama's visit
Published: Saturday, Dec 11, 2010, 13:40 IST
Place: Gangtok | Agency: PTI

The Sikkim government has banned the killing of animals, fowl and fish during the visit of Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, between December 15 to 17.

Special permits will be issued to individuals or government organisations intending to import meat, except poultry from outside the state for marriage and social ceremonies, according to a circular issued by the animal husbandry, livestock fisheries, veterinary services department.

Special permits will also be issued for feeding carnivores at the Himalayan Zoological Park at Bulbulay.

From:http://www.in.com/news/current-affairs/fullstory-sikkim-govt-bans-killing-of-animals-during-dalai-lamas-visit-16613493-b038392545e658c3a9a96c8a50bb9c70c520cb50-rhp.html

2. Dalai Lama is Buddha of this Era: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister
December 10th 2010

McLeod Ganj, HP, India, 9 December 2010 (Press Trust of India) - Hailing Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama as "Buddha of this era" Himachal Pradesh chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal today said that the Buddhist monk was an apostle of Mahatma Gandhi's message of peace and non-violence.

"The Dalai Lama is the greatest living Buddhist monk, the Buddha of this era, and an apostle of Mahatma Gandhi's message of peace and non-violence," Dhumal said during a breakfast reception organised by Tibetan Parliament in Exile for members of the state Legislative Assembly, who are here to attend the winter session.
The chief minister said India and Tibet cherish long historical and religious ties.

"I pray for long and healthy life of the Dalai Lama. May the Tibet issue be resolved soon and the relationship between Indians and Tibetan people continue to flourish," he said.

From: http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_dalai-lama-is-buddha-of-this-era-himachal-pradesh-chief-minister_1479164

Lineageholder

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2010, 09:38:18 PM »
McLeod Ganj, HP, India, 9 December 2010 (Press Trust of India) - Hailing Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama as "Buddha of this era" Himachal Pradesh chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal today said that the Buddhist monk was an apostle of Mahatma Gandhi's message of peace and non-violence.

"The Dalai Lama is the greatest living Buddhist monk, the Buddha of this era, and an apostle of Mahatma Gandhi's message of peace and non-violence," Dhumal said during a breakfast reception organised by Tibetan Parliament in Exile for members of the state Legislative Assembly, who are here to attend the winter session.
The chief minister said India and Tibet cherish long historical and religious ties.

I'm sorry, but this simply isn't true.  The Dalai Lama is causing a schism in the international Sangha, which is not peace, and he's also never spoken out against violence towards Shugden practitioners.  There is physical and mental violence towards them (for example, the 'wanted' style posters in Dharmasala which the Dalai Lama flatly denied in the Swiss documentary, even though the reporter had seen them for himself) as well as denial of basic human rights and freedoms such as being able to enter shops, receive medical treatment and travel freely.  How is this 'peace and non-violence'?  The evidence speaks for itself.  he Dalai Lama himself claims to be an apostle of Gandhi but his actions are quite different.

The view that the Minister is expressing is very much a 'hollywood' view of the Dalai Lama.  Sadly, it bears no resemblance to reality.

triesa

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2010, 04:21:36 PM »

I'm sorry, but this simply isn't true.  The Dalai Lama is causing a schism in the international Sangha, which is not peace, and he's also never spoken out against violence towards Shugden practitioners.  There is physical and mental violence towards them (for example, the 'wanted' style posters in Dharmasala which the Dalai Lama flatly denied in the Swiss documentary, even though the reporter had seen them for himself) as well as denial of basic human rights and freedoms such as being able to enter shops, receive medical treatment and travel freely.  How is this 'peace and non-violence'?  The evidence speaks for itself.  he Dalai Lama himself claims to be an apostle of Gandhi but his actions are quite different.

The view that the Minister is expressing is very much a 'hollywood' view of the Dalai Lama.  Sadly, it bears no resemblance to reality.

We cannot simply erased all the good deeds that H.H. the Dalai Lama has accomplished all these years in his entire life in spreading buddhism through out the world, the Dorje Shugden ban imposed by the Dalai Lama, did bring much more awareness of Dorje Shugden to many.

Dalai Lama, in my opinion, dare to risk his reputation of being seen as a hyprocrite monk, or a lier, so as to prepare Dorje Shugden to be the next king of Dharma Protector, is totally acting out of compassion. Who would be willing to ruin one's great achievements in his whole life, if he is not an enlightenened being, an emanation of Chenrizig??

We must not forget that the actions of enlightened beings are sometimes beyond our limited wordly visions and perceptions and their results are sometimes to be seen and felt much later.

Lineageholder

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 06:10:41 PM »
We cannot simply erased all the good deeds that H.H. the Dalai Lama has accomplished all these years in his entire life in spreading buddhism through out the world, the Dorje Shugden ban imposed by the Dalai Lama, did bring much more awareness of Dorje Shugden to many.

Dalai Lama, in my opinion, dare to risk his reputation of being seen as a hyprocrite monk, or a lier, so as to prepare Dorje Shugden to be the next king of Dharma Protector, is totally acting out of compassion. Who would be willing to ruin one's great achievements in his whole life, if he is not an enlightenened being, an emanation of Chenrizig??

We must not forget that the actions of enlightened beings are sometimes beyond our limited wordly visions and perceptions and their results are sometimes to be seen and felt much later.

Hi triesa,

You're entitled to your view, but then surely we can embrace any negative actions and call it enlightened by this reasoning?  The reasoning 'the Dalai Lama is a Buddha so everything he does is an enlightened action' is not a valid reason because enlightened actions don't cause suffering and the Dalai Lama most certainly is causing suffering.

I agree that the Dalai Lama has made Buddhism more well known, but then he tells Westerners not to become Buddhist.  Many people throughout the world now believe that Dorje Shugden is a spirit thanks to the Dalai Lama's actions, so how has spreading this wrong view, contrary to the lineage Gurus of his own tradition,  helped anyone?  The only benefit is the fact that Dorje Shugden is a Buddha so the benefit of hearing his name is due to Dorje Shugden's power, not the Dalai Lama.

This article explains the problems with 'the bigger picture':

http://theshugdengroup.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/the-bigger-picture-versus-a-great-deception/

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 06:03:51 AM »

You're entitled to your view, but then surely we can embrace any negative actions and call it enlightened by this reasoning?  The reasoning 'the Dalai Lama is a Buddha so everything he does is an enlightened action' is not a valid reason because enlightened actions don't cause suffering and the Dalai Lama most certainly is causing suffering.

I thought that only we cause our own suffering. Whatever suffering we experience is because we have created the causes for it and hence we should not blame others for it?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Zach

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 08:57:53 AM »

I thought that only we cause our own suffering. Whatever suffering we experience is because we have created the causes for it and hence we should not blame others for it?

Of course  :)
Get some Vajrasattva down you  ;D

triesa

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2010, 04:24:08 PM »

I know it is very hard and tough to understand this. Sufferings is just not nice for anyone,  no matter what.

Wisdom being is right, whatever suffering we experience is becasue we have created the casues for it and hence forth we will need to experience it at some point in time, whether now,  this life or future lives.

Some high lamas do perform actions that seem unlightened in our perception and views, and in some extreme cases, the actions may be completely insane,  and casues either mental or physical sufferings to their disciples, once experienced, the negative karma is purified. The faster these karma are purified, the better we are in future.
In fact, the reason why we are reborn in this human realm , a desire realm, is also due to our own negative karma.

I was told a true story that a very high Rinpoche(sorry, forgot his name) was put in jail by the Chinese Army and he was made to clean toilets and all other dirty works. He would be beaten up if found doing his prayers or chanting while in jail. He was in prison for more than 20 plus years and when he was finally released, he looked so peaceful, graceful and  calm, not a trace of complaints from him. He said while he was in jail all these years, he dedicated the merits from his sufferings to H.H. the Dalai Lama, for his works to flourish and for his long life.

I am not saying we have to be like this, but whatever sufferings we are experiencing, whether it be mental or physical, lets not complain and take this as a practice, a real practice to true spirituality. And we can do this one step at a time..........

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2010, 05:49:57 AM »

I know it is very hard and tough to understand this. Sufferings is just not nice for anyone,  no matter what.

Wisdom being is right, whatever suffering we experience is becasue we have created the casues for it and hence forth we will need to experience it at some point in time, whether now,  this life or future lives.

Some high lamas do perform actions that seem unlightened in our perception and views, and in some extreme cases, the actions may be completely insane,  and casues either mental or physical sufferings to their disciples, once experienced, the negative karma is purified. The faster these karma are purified, the better we are in future.
In fact, the reason why we are reborn in this human realm , a desire realm, is also due to our own negative karma.

I was told a true story that a very high Rinpoche(sorry, forgot his name) was put in jail by the Chinese Army and he was made to clean toilets and all other dirty works. He would be beaten up if found doing his prayers or chanting while in jail. He was in prison for more than 20 plus years and when he was finally released, he looked so peaceful, graceful and  calm, not a trace of complaints from him. He said while he was in jail all these years, he dedicated the merits from his sufferings to H.H. the Dalai Lama, for his works to flourish and for his long life.

I am not saying we have to be like this, but whatever sufferings we are experiencing, whether it be mental or physical, lets not complain and take this as a practice, a real practice to true spirituality. And we can do this one step at a time..........

This high lama who was imprisoned was His Eminence Tsawa Pulthok Rinpoche of Drepung Loseling. He was a direct disciple of Kyabje Pabongka Dechen Nyingpo. Pulthok Rinpoche was a fervernt practitioner of Vajra Yogini and Dorje Shugden. He did serkym every single day until he passed away peacefully in Nepal a few years back. He also prayed the hardships, beatings, starvation and accusations he recieved in prison may serve as a method to clear the obstacles for Sera, Drepung and Gaden's growth daily.Thinking like this, his imprisonment had a purpose he mentioned.  He did his practices and meditations in secret and laying down for 20 years. He was caught several times and severely beaten for praying.

tk

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2010, 05:55:53 AM »
Pulthok Rinpoche mentioned, when he was younger he had another monk friend and they were playing back in Tibet. Pulthok Rinpoche put that monk on a seat and did the invocation of Dulzin just playfully. Shockingly Dulzin actually took full trance of that young monk for a short while. The monk that Dulzin took trance didn't know what was happening nor remembered after coming out of trance unharmed.

Pulthok Rinpoche has a very strong connection and karmic affinity with Dulzin Dorje Shugden for many lives. He said this in the humblest of ways.

May his incarnation return and continue.

TK

Atishas cook

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2010, 03:09:06 PM »
oh, my brothers and sisters  :'(

you are like abused wives, defending your husband, forgiving him his violence for the food he brings to your table and the clothes on your back.  "do not criticise him!  you don't know the REAL man - he is good and kind.  even when he beats me and beats our children, in truth he knows best - it is for our own good."

you fear bringing shame on your family so you keep quiet.  you lack confidence and feel sure that you must be in the wrong and that there must be a love, deeper than you can understand, behind his kicks and punches.

you are like prisoners with Stockholm syndrome.

you blame anyone who points out: "this isn't right - those bruises are NOT the result of kindness."  you cover the bruises of your children and adopt a humble, serene attitude and accuse your friends of anger or jealousy towards your abuser whenever they speak against him.

my heart cries.  it's unbearable to me to see this.

STAND UP!  for the sake of our abused children.  SPEAK OUT!

please, please STOP twisting holy Dharma to justify your acquiescence!

it is NOT the love of her husband that prevents an abused wife speaking out, nor is anger necessary to take action against that husband.  those who criticise him are NOT necessarily angry with him, or lacking in virtue or understanding.

protesting may not be the best method, for sure - now it seems is the time for a more reasoned, factual stance.  but a stance we must take!  we MUST criticise the actions of the Dalai Lama while he still has the power to rescind the ban.  there is no way - no way - the TGIE will rescind it after his retirement or death: it will become unassailably enshrined as holy doctrine.  his power to harm will continue even after he dies.

we must break this power NOW.

breaking his power, through speaking out, through publicity, through criticism of the man and his actions - through all appropriate, skilful means - IS LOVING THE DALAI LAMA.  it is Dharma.  it is loving all living beings.  it is protecting the doctrine for the benefit of all.  it is what all the Buddhas of the three times and the ten directions want us to do.

allowing him to continue abusing his family, unopposed, is condemning him, his family, and countless, countless living beings, to untold suffering in the future

my heart cries, brothers and sisters, to hear such good and wise people defend such monstrous actions and their perpetrator simply because he has also done good.  :'(

Atishas cook

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2010, 04:19:46 PM »
i should add: still, i do not say that i can know for sure the nature of the Dalai Lama - i can only see his actions and respond to them in the most appropriate way.

to those who believe him to be a Buddha, i say: when Buddha manifests as a deluded being and performs deluded actions the correct response is to oppose those deluded actions in the conventional, appropriate way, whilst holding a mind of love and compassion and refraining from anger.

believing him enlightened and criticising his wrong actions are not at all contradictory - quite the reverse.

Atishas cook

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
i wished to modify the above post, but there is no Modify icon appearing...  anyway - i wanted to add this to illustrate the point:

a Buddha may manifest as an abusive husband.  perhaps, through his abuse, his family may seek refuge in Dharma.  but the correct and proper response for his wife to take to his abuse is nonetheless, definitely and without any shadow of a doubt, to take the children and leave him, taking appropriate action against him by reporting him to the authorities.

to stay with him, reasoning "my husband is probably an enlightened being, purifying my and my children's karma" would be irresponsible, even insane.