Author Topic: The Dalai Lama Strikes Back! (sort of)  (Read 39050 times)

Lineageholder

The Dalai Lama Strikes Back! (sort of)
« on: May 13, 2010, 12:20:03 AM »
Hello friends,

Want to see the latest in evil propaganda?  Here ya go:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuckoo-Peacock-Palace-Tradition-Buddhism/dp/1906791546/r%5C%3Cbr%3Eef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273664358&sr=1-1

it says "...this book provides a detailed study of the dogmas, doctrines and politics which have blighted the Tibetan religio-political world for the last three and a half centuries.".  I don't think he's talking about the Dalai Lamas, unfortunately, but if he had any wisdom he would be  ::)

Bring it on!

Middleway

Re: The Dalai Lama Strikes Back! (sort of)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:14:49 AM »
Hello friends,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuckoo-Peacock-Palace-Tradition-Buddhism/dp/1906791546/r%5C%3Cbr%3Eef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273664358&sr=1-1

it says "...this book provides a detailed study of the dogmas, doctrines and politics which have blighted the Tibetan religio-political world for the last three and a half centuries.".  I don't think he's talking about the Dalai Lamas, unfortunately, but if he had any wisdom he would be  ::)
Bring it on!

bringing daft arguments out into the open is a good thing. 

Yeshe

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 09:15:51 AM »
Hello friends,

Bring it on!

The Amazon listing is teetering on the brink of libel in the Description.

As it is a direct attack on the NKT as a legal entity I hope the book will be very closely read and any necessary legal action taken for any unsubstantiated and damaging content. This statement is pretty close, but carefully phrased:

''Since the NKT is certainly among the West's most controversial Neo-Buddhist Movements, members of New Religious Movement and Cult Watching groups should also find the work helpful, both in terms of understanding the history of the group itself, as well as in distinguishing factors common to various NRMs, sects and cults. ''

I love the 'Neo-Buddhist' label - even the author of this book places the tradition as dating from the  18th Century in the case of Shugden.  This  makes the NKT 'Neo-Buddhist' - for ...... adhering to an ancient tradition.  Hmmm.   If the book reflects such tripe, it will only attract those who are already anti-NKT and who will see it as justification of their equally illogical whinges.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:26:49 AM by Yeshe »
A compassionate mind cannot be penetrated by anger or attachment.

Middleway

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 08:00:48 AM »
Yeah, I think the guy's sailing close to the wind legally.  His name rings a bell, I think he might be a person I came across a few years ago who had an obsessive grudge not just against the NKT but also other 'new' Buddhist movements such as the FWBO, anyone familiar with him?

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 04:45:59 PM »
OMB (Oh my Buddha)... tit for tat? But they couldn't get enough sponsorship so it's like more than three times the price of the Great Deception?

Well, if this book brings the controversy back into the limelight again so people don't forget about Dorje Shugden, at least that's a good thing. Someone said - what's worse than being talked about is not being talked about... and i feel that DS has faded away on the international scene while the persecution in the monasteries and the refugee camps continues.

Maybe as a result of this book, people will do some research on their own and find this website, READ and gain some knowledge for themselves.

Yes, I'm always optimistic.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Geronimo

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »
http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=3556

I am New Here – A step by step starter kit

STEP 1 : BACKGROUND
Dorje Shugden, the Indestructible power of the enlightened mind

Who is Dorje Shugden?

An emanation of Manjushri, the enlightened Buddha of Wisdom. He manifests as a Protector who removes obstacles, protects us and our loved ones and grants our wishes quickly.

His lineage

As a direct emanation of Manjushri, he has manifested as many renowned figures throughout history, such as :

• Lord Dulzin, who built Gaden Monastery
• Panchen Sonam Drakpa, whose renowned teachings are still studied in monasteries today
• The legendary Chinese emperor, Kangxi
• Practiced all over the world and very revered in China.
• Practiced in many grand monasteries and also by laypeople everywhere.

Read more here: Lineage

Why does he look this way?

Learning about iconography is a great way to discover any deity’s nature, function, and the methods that are applied in their practice.

With beauty and power the following excerpts (in quotation marks) from prayers and praises to Gyalchen Dorje Shugden express via his outer appearance his inner intent and wishes.

“Although you outwardly exhibit the haughty manner of a terrifier to conquer enemies of Lozang the Victor’s teachings, you are, in nature, that very Manjushri Yamantaka; with the supreme, unsurpassed devotion.”

“In the middle of a dark wind-swept wisdom fire, on lotus and sun, and an enemy-trampling, frightening, watchful lion is the supreme heart jewel of Dharma protectors, Dorje Shugden, the mighty King. Monk robes beautifying his body, wearing a domed golden hat, his hands hold wisdom sword and enemy heart. Smiling at practitioners, he destroys enemies and obstructers with a wrathful look.”

“Smiling with ruby complexion of affection and compassion, elegant in whatever emanation of wrath, passion, or smiling peace, the instant one remembers the limitless secrets of your body, all needs and desires are granted, to you I praise. Your razor sword of superior wisdom rips through the foe, samsara, and you hold the heart of great bliss which slaughters the extreme of nirvana; to you who, for the glory of infinite migrators, shows signs of the skilful means, which have arisen from extremes of both samsara and nirvana, I offer praise. The system of Nagarjuna, the highest view, free from extremes, and the supreme behaviour of vinaya, the code of conduct of the Buddha; as an instruction to migrators that one should practice thus, you are adorned by the domed hat and saffron robes, to you I praise.”

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:14:01 PM by Lhakpa Gyaltshen »

Geronimo

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 03:28:01 AM »

For As Long As the Winds Blow
The Grass Grows
The Dharma Will Flow!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 12:27:36 AM by Lhakpa Gyaltshen »

Geronimo

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 03:03:47 AM »
Raven Hatchlings Hop From Branch to Tree
Gripping with Talons
They Squawk and Squeeze
Papi circles the Tall Trees
Until They are Safe Again in the Nest
A Storm Approaches
The Sky is Inky Black
With Hope of Pacific Rain Showers
The Hatchlings as We Are Secure In Their Nest
Until Tomorrow or the Next Day
They Will Take Flight
As We Will Fight
To Preserve the Pure Pristine Teachings of Lord Je T' Song Khapa
The Lineage That Comes Directly From Lord Buddha
I Know That Ravens Are Strong. Courageous, Intelligent, Sensitive,Curious Beings
Always Dressed In Their Best
As All Of You Don the Protection of the Supreme Dharma Protector,
Shri Dorje Shugden!
His Devoted Are Protected With Great Bliss
There Is Nothing to Fear
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:10:48 AM by Lhakpa Gyaltshen »

Geronimo

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 04:03:01 AM »
Around these parts, people ride Bulls and Broncos and Brandish Large Silver Belt Buckles
We Drill the Earth and Harnass the Winds
Once, We get a grip on whatever it is,
We Never Let Go
We've latched onto a SideWinder,
A Nasty little Devil!
They Coil and Spit
But have No Bite
Like this Lama called Dalia
We've got a Hold of Him
We Will Squeeze Him Until
He Relents
Now he just Hide Himself In His Self Pity
Poor Norbu Boys
Born a century too Late
To Rule and Fight
While they tortured others
To the Potala Delights
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:39:21 PM by Lhakpa Gyaltshen »

Dharmapal

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 04:28:37 PM »
Good news: Gary Beesley's (libellous) book has been withdrawn by the author and the publisher. The publicity will be removed from Amazon and other sites over the next 30 days.

Zhalmed Pawo

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »
Good news: Gary Beesley's (libellous) book has been withdrawn by the author and the publisher. The publicity will be removed from Amazon and other sites over the next 30 days.

Näh.

Bummer, in a sense.

The published outline of the book seemed to repeat the "official DS-story", with all the usual lies and misrepresentations,  but the other stuff might have been interesting. (Really, truly, for sure, please-do-not-throw-rotten-tomatoes-at-me ).

You see: There shall not be Dharma or Buddhism in the West unless the practitioners learn to disagree and discuss. If there is no internal Buddhist ranting, there will be no Buddhism.

Midakpa

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 12:27:34 AM »
Zhalmed Pawo is right. For us lay practitioners who do not have the chance to debate like the monks do in their monasteries, forums like this one serve a similar purpose. The difference is that the monks debate on Buddhist philosophy but here, anything can be discussed. I notice that there is a lot of "internal debate" going on too, besides the "verbal martial art" (Michael Palin in "Himalaya"), so it is a very healthy exercise.

Middleway

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:26:38 AM »
Yeah, part of me was disapointed too, but bilge is bilge & where was the debate going to happen with this with the public at large? Proper debate needs discipline, otherwise you're just in a fire fight, which is partly what we have with the DL issue, including on this site at times. I don't have a problem with diagreeing with anyone & if the book had been released so be it, but I don't think sitting back & allowing blatant slander would have been good in this case.

Dharmapal

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 03:56:50 PM »
In any event, we all have quite enough misinformation to "discuss" already without having to refute and argue with a whole bunch more lies. The book dissolving into emptiness has saved us some precious time.

emptymountains

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 05:25:48 AM »
I note that the NKTWorld tabloid blog conveniently left out the bold part below in their 'report':

Dear Colleagues

It is with sincere regret that I write to inform you that, due to the threat of legal action from the New Kadampa Tradition, and in light of the inadequacies of UK libel law, I have been forced to withdraw my forthcoming book, ‘A Cuckoo in the Peacock Palace: The Decline of Tradition in 21st Century Western Buddhism and the Rise of the New Kadampa Tradition’ from publication.’ I appreciate that many of you will be very disappointed by this decision, a disappointment that I share with you from the very depths of my heart. However, as a Buddhist layman with a wife and children, I must place the short and long term well being of my family at the very fore of my considerations. Having raised myself up from poverty through dedication, hard work and the blessings of the Buddhas, I could not bear to impose an undeserved life of poverty on my wife and children when I leave this world. Therefore, for the sake of my family, as well as the good name of the Dharma, I have made this difficult, indeed heart wrenching decision. The NKTs legal representative kindly reminded me that, as Buddhists it is very important that we try to resolve our problems in a peaceful manner. I hope the withdrawal of the book is an indication of my intention to observe such advice in my dealings with others from now on.

With respect and sincere regret for any hurt or disappointment I may have caused.

Yours in the Dharma

The layman Gary Beesley