Author Topic: The Dalai Lama Strikes Back! (sort of)  (Read 39160 times)

Middleway

Re: The Dalai Lama Strikes Back! (sort of)
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2010, 06:49:18 PM »
"most telling the difference between NKT and the Dalai Lama. Facing criticism, NKT raises fists and screams into megaphones, the Dalai Lama chuckles."

Yeah - chuckling's all he does - to those in the West.  To those in the monasteries he can be a bit more unpleasant.  Dialogue isn't something he's interested in (we tried.  And tried and tried...), hence the shouting... Do you think he heard us?

Robert Thomas

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 06:30:16 AM »
Dear Midakpa

Thank you for your reply and clarification - I also have a lot to learn. Regarding the letter I don't have anything to add following my earlier post in this thread. Only that there is no evidence that people from NKT acted out of anger. Even if u don't agree with their decision I think it's easy for anyone who knows the teachings of GKG to see the motivation was more likely compassion, trying to protect the author and spiritual practitioners from creating and experiencing more suffering.  Do you agree this is a valid alternative explanation?

With very best wishes

Robert

Midakpa

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2010, 12:52:36 AM »
Dear Robert,

I do accept your explanation and apologise to those who have been offended or hurt by my remarks. I didn't understand fully the background of this issue. Now after reading more, I'm beginning to understand why there are such strong sentiments.

I agree that it all boils down to motivation. If our motivation is pure, for example, if the NKT acted out of compassion, it's all right.

Thank you for your patience.

a friend

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2010, 03:47:17 AM »

Thom, is it possible that you abstain from importing the horrors that are published out there about Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso and the New Kadampa Tradition?
I know that you put that specific long text because you are named there, as Lhakpa Gyaltsen, but still, it's too much, we don't need to give them more space in the web than the one they already take.
Please?

Robert Thomas

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2010, 07:19:05 AM »
Hi Midakpa

It's very considerate of you to apologise and it's wonderful to see how honest and sincere you are, but you might also be happy to know that I doubt very much that you hurt or offended anyone. It's quite right to express your concerns honestly and openly, especially on such fundamentally important points as: does a spiritual teacher and community who teach the faults of anger, respond to problems by getting angry? Of course if they do then it's unlikely that they could really be reliable.

The truth is no one can know anothers mind, my conclusion is based on faith in Geshe Kelsang and the NKT, this faith has arisen from experience and logical reasoning, relying on Buddha's advice regarding how to rely on the 3 Jewels. This faith gives me confidence that I do know the mind or intention of NKT - but it is a personal experience and I can't force anyone else to share it. I only wanted to describe to you my experience and line of thinking so you would have the opportunity to contemplate it and reach your own conclusion. I am naturally very uncomfortable with stopping people publishing anything. But as the action was legal, and as I have personally witnessed both the falsity of the books main claims and the destruction of people's spiritual lives that these endless smears create, I accept the decision.

Over many years I have checked again and again the teacher, teachings and sangha of the NKT and found them to be reliable and wise. In other words I have faith in the three Jewels and believe that NKT is suitable to embody the three jewels. This experience is something very precious, it is the root of the path and necessary before you can recieve the profound benefits of any Buddhist lineage. Everyone needs to develop it through their own wisdom and experience - guided by Buddha's teachings on reliance and faith. Because of this not everyone follows exactly the same presentation of Dharma. So of course you can always disagree with me or any one else in the NKT - but Buddhas advice is to do so with an open mind which is prepared to change if there are good reasons for doing so. I think you have already demonstrated this quality which shows you are very well qualified to follow a Buddhist path, and I rejoice in that and wish you great happiness and success from your practice!

With very best wishes

Robert

Midakpa

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2010, 07:59:38 AM »

Dear Robert,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I will remember your words and practice well.

Midakpa