Author Topic: 'Unity of Tibet more sacred than our souls,' says the Dalai Lama  (Read 17160 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Hmm I wonder why is the Dalai Lama telling this to the Tibetans in america? could it be that he wants unity amongst them? Also, what is interesting to note is that the Dalai Lama telling them to not protest anymore for Tibetan independence as the Tibetans in Tibet will get it, as well as the middle way approach (which LS has been ignoring...lol ignore his other advice but uphold the ban?). Anyways, it is still interesting.

'Unity of Tibet more sacred than our souls,' says the Dalai Lama
Phayul[Tuesday, May 14, 2013 23:45]

Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama speaking to a gathering of over 1300 Tibetans in Madison, Wisconsin on May 14, 2013. (Phayul photo/Tenzin Dasel)

MADISON, May 14: Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama today said that the unity of the three Cholkhas (provinces) of Tibet – Kham, Amdo, and U-Tsang – is more sacred than our souls.

The Dalai Lama was speaking in Madison, Wisconsin to more than 1300 Tibetans from the Midwest region of the United States.

He acknowledged Tibetans from all the three provinces of Tibet for unitedly shouldering the responsibility of preserving the language, culture, and ancient wisdom of Tibet.

“Now, after spending more than 54 years in exile and having seen the growth of our second and third generation of exile Tibetans, the spirit of the people of land of snows – Ghangchenpas – is still strong,” the 77-year-old Tibetan leader said.

“Most significantly, the determination and fortitude of Tibetans in Tibet continues to remain unflinching.”

The Dalai Lama, who is currently on a fortnight’s visit of US, noted that more and more people around the world, especially Chinese, are realising the truth about Tibet and supporting the non-violent Tibetan struggle.

“The resolution of our struggle will to a large extent depend upon the Chinese people and their support and solidarity with the Tibetan people,” His Holiness said. “The number of Chinese scholars and students that I have been in contact with have all expressed their support for the Middle Way Approach, which seeks genuine autonomy for Tibet within the constitution of the People’s Republic of China.”

He emphasised that the Middle Way Approach is a pedestal on which Tibetans can build to resolve their issues with China, while questioning the existence of an international support base for demands of an independent Tibet.

“When you are raising slogans for independence or taking out protests against visiting Chinese delegates, you must realise that the repercussions of your actions will be borne by Tibetans inside Tibet,” the Dalai Lama said.

Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama greeting young children at a gathering of over 1300 Tibetans in Madison, Wisconsin on May 14, 2013. (Phayul photo/Tenzin Dasel)
The Tibetan spiritual leader also had a word of caution for the much-publicised centenary commemorations of His Holiness the 13th Dalai Lama’s ‘Proclamation of Independence,’ pointing out the political limits of the erstwhile Tibetan government when the declaration was made in 1913.

“You have the freedom to express but don’t just go about propagating your own individual choices without considering the general situation and without thinking about whether you can achieve those wishes,” His Holiness said.

The Dalai Lama stressed that although he has completely retired from active politics, as a Tibetan, he has the responsibility to make clarifications and the right to air his views.

“I have never said that you must follow what I say,” the Tibetan spiritual leader said. “But I have the responsibility to make clarifications on the situation.”

Earlier in the morning the Dalai Lama gave teachings on Je Tsongkhapa's Praise to Dependent Origination (tendrel toepa) to an audience of over 3500 devotees. All proceeds generated from the teachings was donated to the Madison based Deer Park Buddhist Centre, the organisers of the event.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
Re: 'Unity of Tibet more sacred than our souls,' says the Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:48:29 AM »
I find it a bit odd that the Dalai Lama should infer that unity for the sake of the Tibetans' collective political aspiration is more important than their souls, which I would take to mean their individual spiritual development. Still, perhaps there is something about the Tibetan's collective karma that may influence their fight for freedom, but if that were to be the case, then I would expect the Dalai Lama to insist upon the CTA to enact laws and programs that foster solidarity instead of divisions among the Tibetan community. Over the years we have seen how various policies enforced by the establishment in Dharamsala have caused discord amongst  the people and none more so than the Dorje Shugden ban.

In addition, as the Potector practice is growing in China, the ban represents yet another divide not only between Tibetans and Tibetans but also Chinese and Tibetan Buddhists. Therefore if solidarity  is that important, then for sure the Shugden ban has to go. Otherwise, it would be easy for people to be mistaken about the Dalai Lama's true intentions. It only makes sense that if solidarity is more important than the soul, and the powers that be within the Tibetan community do not promote solidarity but the opposite, then it would seem that the CTA's political ambitions are more important than the soul of the Tibetan people. Doesn't make much sense.

Lineageholder

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:13:05 AM »
The Dalai Lama stressed that although he has completely retired from active politics, as a Tibetan, he has the responsibility to make clarifications and the right to air his views.

“I have never said that you must follow what I say,” the Tibetan spiritual leader said. “But I have the responsibility to make clarifications on the situation.”

He's still making political statements whilst saying that he has completely retired from politics. He's also encouraging attachment to Tibet.

All that really matters is that the Buddhadharma is preserved, which is happening since it is now global.

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 10:01:25 AM »
For practical reasons, people outside of Tibet who are in constant protest for Tibet's independence need to understand that the louder they are with their protests, the pressure again falls back onto their brethens within the land of snows. It's just logical that Tibetans should keep low for they do not have the skills and connections to make the entire situation any better.

Self-immolations and protests will not move the Chinese a single inch. Rather, why not conform to their ideals of promoting what the motherland needs to promote? Harmony in accordance to its ideals rather than to constantly battle for something which we know wont happen?
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 05:45:49 AM »
It's always easy for those outside of Tibet and especially the non Tibetans to protest against the occupation of Tibet because they do not need to take any responsibility at all for that, whether or not it is considering the whole situation realistically or coming up with a realistic solution that would probably really help the situation. What the Dalai Lama is trying to say here is for these people to shut up unless they're really approaching it from a more realistic level because to be very honest, i find people, especially westerners with a romanticised view of Tibet, protesting and demanding that Tibet be returned to the Tibetans extremely annoying because they're only doing it because of the white knight syndrome. None of them has actually went to Dharamsala and help the CTA out with negotiations.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 07:05:33 AM »
Ensapa, whats interesting is that your news report doesnt mention anything about the protestors outside. In this article below, it mentions that a group of Tibetan monks were protesting outside the venue. Obviously Phayul has their own agenda (contrary to what they claim) and is whitewashing anything remotely anti-Dalai Lama so the Tibetans never get the truth which is that not everyone accepts the Dalai Lamas authority.

On a sidenote, I wonder how many people who attended the teachings really understood what His Holiness was teaching, and will extend the same altruism and compassion to us Shugden practitioners... ha! One can dream!

From: http://www.jsonline.com/features/religion/dalai-lama-in-ninth-visit-to-madison-stresses-altruism-and-compassion-i59uuc3-207632651.html

Dalai Lama, in ninth visit to Madison, stresses altruism and compassion

Madison - Ethics education that stresses altruism and compassion, taught from an early age, is one key to addressing the world's greatest problems, from environmental degradation to the nuclear arms race, the 14th Dalai Lama told a sold-out crowd at Madison's Overture Center for the Arts on Wednesday.

And while those problems require a global, holistic approach, he said, each person in the 2,000-plus seat auditorium must play a role in solving them.

"The whole world is facing some kind of moral crisis . . . and we have to think in a more holistic way," said the exiled Tibetan leader, who encouraged those in attendance to share what they learned with 10 others, who would tell 10 more, and on and on.

"From the individual comes a peaceful family and a peaceful society," he said. "Building a peaceful society is all of our responsibility."

The Dalai Lama spoke as part of a daylong conference sponsored by the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Center for Investigating Healthy Minds and Global Health Institute.

"Change Your Mind, Change the World" brought together experts in many fields, including health care, neuroscience and economics, to discuss how they can work together to improve health and well-being around the world.

It was the Dalai Lama's ninth visit to Madison. And his message of education, compassion and personal responsibility appeared to resonate with the audience, which greeted him and sent him off with a standing ovation.

"I feel more optimistic just coming out of it," said Josh Gerarden of De Pere, who attended with his mother and sister. "This idea that we need to change the way we act toward others - it's an easy message to get behind."

Chrissie Lindemann of Mequon said she teared up when the spiritual leader entered and exited the stage.

"It's a remarkable day," she said, "a once-in-a-lifetime experience."

Outside, a small group of monks from the Tibetan Shugden tradition, which the Dalai Lama has rejected, staged a protest.

Wednesday's panel discussions showcased some of the work being done by UW-Madison neuroscientist Richard Davidson, who founded the Center for Investigating Healthy Minds, and Jonathan Patz, who heads the Global Health Institute and shared the Nobel Prize with Al Gore in 2007 for his work on climate change.

Among them: studies with children and veterans suggesting that the brain can be trained to emphasize positive traits such as compassion and happiness; and the impacts of consumption by affluent nations on the developing world.

The afternoon discussion touched on a range of topics from the economic impact of stress on American business - $300 billion in losses a year - to the growing gap between the rich and poor, which the Dalai Lama called "morally wrong."

The Dalai Lama has had a decades-long relationship with the University of Wisconsin and Madison. He was drawn initially by friend and scholar Geshe Lhundub Sopa, who created the university's Tibetan studies program, and later the Deer Park Buddhist Center in nearby Oregon, and later by his relationship with Davidson and Patz.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 07:15:46 AM »
Ensapa, whats interesting is that your news report doesnt mention anything about the protestors outside. In this article below, it mentions that a group of Tibetan monks were protesting outside the venue. Obviously Phayul has their own agenda (contrary to what they claim) and is whitewashing anything remotely anti-Dalai Lama so the Tibetans never get the truth which is that not everyone accepts the Dalai Lamas authority.

On a sidenote, I wonder how many people who attended the teachings really understood what His Holiness was teaching, and will extend the same altruism and compassion to us Shugden practitioners... ha! One can dream!

From: http://www.jsonline.com/features/religion/dalai-lama-in-ninth-visit-to-madison-stresses-altruism-and-compassion-i59uuc3-207632651.html

Dalai Lama, in ninth visit to Madison, stresses altruism and compassion

Madison - Ethics education that stresses altruism and compassion, taught from an early age, is one key to addressing the world's greatest problems, from environmental degradation to the nuclear arms race, the 14th Dalai Lama told a sold-out crowd at Madison's Overture Center for the Arts on Wednesday.

And while those problems require a global, holistic approach, he said, each person in the 2,000-plus seat auditorium must play a role in solving them.

"The whole world is facing some kind of moral crisis . . . and we have to think in a more holistic way," said the exiled Tibetan leader, who encouraged those in attendance to share what they learned with 10 others, who would tell 10 more, and on and on.

"From the individual comes a peaceful family and a peaceful society," he said. "Building a peaceful society is all of our responsibility."

The Dalai Lama spoke as part of a daylong conference sponsored by the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Center for Investigating Healthy Minds and Global Health Institute.

"Change Your Mind, Change the World" brought together experts in many fields, including health care, neuroscience and economics, to discuss how they can work together to improve health and well-being around the world.

It was the Dalai Lama's ninth visit to Madison. And his message of education, compassion and personal responsibility appeared to resonate with the audience, which greeted him and sent him off with a standing ovation.

"I feel more optimistic just coming out of it," said Josh Gerarden of De Pere, who attended with his mother and sister. "This idea that we need to change the way we act toward others - it's an easy message to get behind."

Chrissie Lindemann of Mequon said she teared up when the spiritual leader entered and exited the stage.

"It's a remarkable day," she said, "a once-in-a-lifetime experience."

Outside, a small group of monks from the Tibetan Shugden tradition, which the Dalai Lama has rejected, staged a protest.

Wednesday's panel discussions showcased some of the work being done by UW-Madison neuroscientist Richard Davidson, who founded the Center for Investigating Healthy Minds, and Jonathan Patz, who heads the Global Health Institute and shared the Nobel Prize with Al Gore in 2007 for his work on climate change.

Among them: studies with children and veterans suggesting that the brain can be trained to emphasize positive traits such as compassion and happiness; and the impacts of consumption by affluent nations on the developing world.

The afternoon discussion touched on a range of topics from the economic impact of stress on American business - $300 billion in losses a year - to the growing gap between the rich and poor, which the Dalai Lama called "morally wrong."

The Dalai Lama has had a decades-long relationship with the University of Wisconsin and Madison. He was drawn initially by friend and scholar Geshe Lhundub Sopa, who created the university's Tibetan studies program, and later the Deer Park Buddhist Center in nearby Oregon, and later by his relationship with Davidson and Patz.

Yup, phayul does whitewash everything and is therefore, an unreliable news source to say the least, but from there we can also observe how does CTA operate - by deception. However they do also fail to realize that this is an indirect message from the Dalai Lama, asking them to stop the meaningless protests for Tibet's freedom because it is 1) a complete waste of time and 2) it's just an indicator CTA uses to see how popular they are in the west while they continue to feed them with lies and pity stories. Lucky that you found the original article and I am happy to see that they have not gave up the Shugden issue yet!

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 10:13:45 PM »
Most of the news articles are geared towards the "anti-Shugden" and "pro-Dalai Lama" way. Agreeing with what the Dalai Lama has said.

Just giving a sweeping statement about how the protestants outside the venue are the monks that Dalai Lama has rejected. Why would the Dalai Lama reject anyone in the first place? He is the emanation of Chenrezig, then why would he be rejecting anyone, he should have compassion towards all.

To me I feel that these articles are all written by those who do not really know what is going on about the ban and why is there a ban in the first place. Hence, supporting everything that they hear and seen about the Dalai Lama and CTA. I am not saying this is wrong, but shouldn't they be more professional? Getting to know the situation in every angle before making their sweeping statements like this.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 12:50:07 AM »
Most of the news articles are geared towards the "anti-Shugden" and "pro-Dalai Lama" way. Agreeing with what the Dalai Lama has said.

Just giving a sweeping statement about how the protestants outside the venue are the monks that Dalai Lama has rejected. Why would the Dalai Lama reject anyone in the first place? He is the emanation of Chenrezig, then why would he be rejecting anyone, he should have compassion towards all.

To me I feel that these articles are all written by those who do not really know what is going on about the ban and why is there a ban in the first place. Hence, supporting everything that they hear and seen about the Dalai Lama and CTA. I am not saying this is wrong, but shouldn't they be more professional? Getting to know the situation in every angle before making their sweeping statements like this.

To me, the author of this article is nothing short of  a fanatic because a fanatic is defined as someone who is unable to look at something objectively and who is not balanced in their views. They would think that whatever that the Dalai lama says is right and everything else that says otherwise is wrong completely and not only that they are wrong, they are evil. I dont think that the Dalai  Lama would approve of such behavior but he is saying nothing about such things happening under his nose...sigh. I hope HHDL would do something about his unruly students.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »
This is interesting from the Dalai Lama, how can he logically enforce a ban that splits the tibetan people and now he is talking about unity. ban and unity are simply opposites. Just another anomaly to hint to the anti Dorje Shugden people and all the Tibetans who adhere to the ban blindly, things are not what they seem to be.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 02:16:22 AM »
This is interesting from the Dalai Lama, how can he logically enforce a ban that splits the tibetan people and now he is talking about unity. ban and unity are simply opposites. Just another anomaly to hint to the anti Dorje Shugden people and all the Tibetans who adhere to the ban blindly, things are not what they seem to be.

The Dalai Lama ban had many reasons. One of them being is that the Tibetans are quite warlike and fierce in nature and they have been wanting to bomb China for a long time now, and if it was not for the Dalai Lama, China would have to face terrorist attacks from the Tibetans constantly. The ban is actually to distract the Tibetans from attacking China. For example, the ban intensified in 2008 during the China olympic games where the Tibetans started to do all their free Tibet things and started to badmouth China so the Tibetans got distracted with Dorje Shugden instead. From this, we can deduce that the ban is a distraction for the Tibetans to not attack China.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 09:30:17 PM »
The Dalai Lama ban had many reasons. One of them being is that the Tibetans are quite warlike and fierce in nature and they have been wanting to bomb China for a long time now, and if it was not for the Dalai Lama, China would have to face terrorist attacks from the Tibetans constantly. The ban is actually to distract the Tibetans from attacking China. For example, the ban intensified in 2008 during the China olympic games where the Tibetans started to do all their free Tibet things and started to badmouth China so the Tibetans got distracted with Dorje Shugden instead. From this, we can deduce that the ban is a distraction for the Tibetans to not attack China.

It is a very interesting view that you have. But I do agree to a certain extend that this might be why the ban is around. It might be around to stop the Tibetans from doing anything foolish while China grows into a better country. Taking away the trouble of taking care of the Tibetans with all their childish acts for the Chinese government.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 05:59:39 AM »

It is a very interesting view that you have. But I do agree to a certain extend that this might be why the ban is around. It might be around to stop the Tibetans from doing anything foolish while China grows into a better country. Taking away the trouble of taking care of the Tibetans with all their childish acts for the Chinese government.

Even up to now, the Tibetans foolishly fail to realize that they cannot put a dent in China's reputation as they are just too big and too powerful for them to do such things. They have never even thought of just playing along with China and win their trust and then win Tibet back from them. Instead, they continue to sabotage themselves by demanding for independence and badmouthing china with every turn and at every chance that they get, which also makes the Dalai Lama look like a liar for advocating the middle way policy while the Tibetans think otherwise.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 10:30:02 PM »
Even up to now, the Tibetans foolishly fail to realize that they cannot put a dent in China's reputation as they are just too big and too powerful for them to do such things. They have never even thought of just playing along with China and win their trust and then win Tibet back from them. Instead, they continue to sabotage themselves by demanding for independence and badmouthing china with every turn and at every chance that they get, which also makes the Dalai Lama look like a liar for advocating the middle way policy while the Tibetans think otherwise.

I do agree with you. But as for now, I believe that the main reason to why the Dalai Lama is pushing strongly about the ban of Dorje Shugden is to let Dorje Shugden be well known to all. It is because of this ban, many people believe in the Dalai Lama, and when they do an internet search on Tibetan Buddhism, they will also read about DOrje Shugden. Hence, with this two, it would leave imprints in the party's mind causing them to want to know more and to believe more. Thus, the increasing awareness of Vajrayana Buddhism.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 11:40:45 PM »

The Dalai Lama has always got very good doublespeak.  So with "unity and harmony", I think he means 'don't argue with me, or we will have disharmony as I am Buddha Chenrezig and you must be crazy not to do what I say.'