Author Topic: Dorje Shugden nathang (black thangka)  (Read 18845 times)

Admin

• Administrator
    • Email
Dorje Shugden nathang (black thangka)
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »
A brand new, VERY exciting image of Dorje Shugden has just been uploaded onto our website...download and enjoy!

From: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/downloads/images/dorje-shugden-nathang/

Dorje Shugden nathang

DorjeShugden.com has just received this beautiful image from a very talented artist which we wish to share with everyone. Dorje Shugden, emanating in his peaceful form, is depicted in the style of a black thangka (nathang in Tibetan). This style is generally reserved for wrathful deities, so to depict a peaceful Dulzin using this method makes this quite an unusual image.

We hope you enjoy this image! Please feel free to share this link, and to download and print the image out for your friends, family and loved ones.

To download the high resolution version:

• Click on the image below. It will open to a new tab
  • Right-click on the large image
  • Click "Save Image As..."
  • Save the image onto your computer

DharmaDefender

Re: Dorje Shugden nathang (black thangka)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »
Fantastic depiction of Dorje Shugden! I did a search online and found that yeah in general these black thangkas are reserved for wrathful deities (there were a couple of Green Tara and Avalokiteshvara ones but I consider them to be the exception to the rule, rather than the norm!)

I like how this particular image highlights the bits that are the most important like his domed hat (radiant with gold from the Dzambu river hahaha I remember that thanks to the iconography video!) and the heart of compassion which he holds level to his own heart. And lets not forget his wisdom sword raised aloft...I dannae, this thangka might be black but it doesnt feel dark and depressing to me. The peace on Dulzins face is really calming.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing this nathang here with us. It is certainly a very unique way of portraying our great protector. I have seen similar form of painting whereby only the weapons and implements are painted in gold and colors and the face and features of the deities are not drawn in detailed and colored. I like the peaceful and serene expression on Dorje Shugden's face and yet at the same time, the whole picture indicates he is a wrathful protector.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 02:08:54 PM »
Thank you for posting this up! This painting is breathtaking. I read somewhere that Tibetan thangka artists treat their artwork as a spiritual practice, and that generally most thangka artists create these art works not for commercial reasons but from sponsorship. I wonder if this still stands in modern days though I hope so. I hope there will be other nagtangs in this series? I would LOVE to see Trakze in a nagtang!

i was curious about this particular genre of painting – nagtangs - and found this article which is quite informative. i hope you find it as interesting as i did!

http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/symbols/black.htm

Black in Buddhist Color Symbolism
Black signifies the primordial darkness in Buddhism. In the realm where it is dark, because there is no light reflected, there is also a sound which we cannot hear as it is so high on the scale of harmonics that it is inaccessible to the hearing capacity of any physical being. The wonders of creation may be manifested through the gradual slowing down of vibrations. The darkness becomes light, the shadows colors, the colors sound, and sound creates form.

One of the most interesting examples is represented by the so-called black paintings. The special genre of the black thangkas, the potent, highly mystical paintings portraying shimmering, brilliant forms appearing out of a translucent darkness, came to full fruition in the second half of the 17th century.

Their aesthetic power derives from the contrast of powerful lines against a black background, making them one of the most effective means to appreciate the Tibetan mastery of line work. There is a range of variations in the technique, beyond the boldness of gold lines over a black background, to large figures and settings and a variety of colors, and orange, flamed halos.

Black paintings, a relatively late appearance in Buddhist art, have added yet another means by which artists can conjure up visions of mysterious transcendent worlds. Like the fierce deities who are often the subject matter of these thangkas, the blackness signifies the darkness of hate and ignorance as well as the role these qualities have to play in the awakening of clarity and truth.

Thangkas with black background form a special category of contemplative paintings. They are a highly mystical and esoteric type, usually reserved for advanced practice.

Black is the color of hate, transmuted by the alchemy of wisdom into compassion. Darkness represents the imminence of the absolute, the threshold of the experience. It is used for terrific ritual actions, the radical conquest of evil in all its forms - conquest not by annihilating, but by turning even evil into good. Thus, in the black paintings (Tibetan nagtang) the black ground casts forth deities in luminous visions of translucent colors.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Rihanna

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 02:17:35 PM »
This IS indeed a spectacular piece of art of the King of Dharma Protector. This is the first time i have ever seen it depicted in this style. Very refreshing. Would be nice it is in all five forms in a Nathang. I hope your online shop will make it available soon.

kris

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 03:15:47 PM »
This black thangka is indeed very beautiful! I have already downloaded it. Thank you WisdomBeing for explaining the meaning of black in Buddhism.

I also found out that this beautiful black thangka is also available in the Chinese website xiongdeng.com: http://www.xiongdeng.com/?p=2523

Enjoy! :)

DSFriend

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 03:50:13 PM »
This is such a stunning thangkha. Thanks Admin for generously sharing this picture for us all to download and print to put on our altars.   It looks like a mixture of chinese and tibetan facial expression in such peaceful form.

Thanks Wisdom Being for the explanation of color usage in Buddhist art. The contrast is so beautiful and the lines are distinct. It looks like gold paint/ink which is a great medium as offering to dorje shugden.

lotus1

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 09:14:20 PM »
Wow, this is so beautiful! Gold lines on black and the carefully and beautifully drawing of Lord Shugden. It is not just a thangka but it is also a piece of Art! With the peaceful form, it is also easier to reach out to more people and be accepted by common public. Thanks Admin for sharing and I rejoice with the artist for drawing this thangka. I am looking forward to more drawings and works from the artist on Lord Shugden! 

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 08:25:08 AM »
Wow!

A blend of the East and the West. This piece of art seems to me a mix of both Chinese painting techniques on the Tibetan deity. It is such a beautiful art piece with much intricacy put into the work. Look at the lines of the lion's mane and the details of the protector. His face is somewhat like that of a very Chinese looking Buddha.

May Dorje Shugden's fame and influence spread out to the Land of the Dragon and from there spread into the ten directions!
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

sonamdhargey

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 10:34:24 AM »
Beautifully done. Thank you for the effort of of painting such beautiful Dorje Shugden Thangkha. I love the contrast and the glow effect. It is very attractive. His face looks happy, serene and peaceful. A good way to show a wraftful deity in this manner. May this Thangkha reach more and benefit more and more people.

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »
I love this piece of black thangka! It's very well done, artistic and detailed. The use of gold color on the tiger boots, khatangka, domed hat and wisdom sword is genius. And the red color tone for the heart blends very well with black and gold color. Now, I have another image of my beloved Dorje Shugden in my shrine at home. Thank you, Admin, for having this available and thank you to the very talented artist.

Aurore

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 07:09:21 PM »
I love this very much. There's not many black thangka of Dorje Shugden around and I've always like black thangkas. So I am truly excited to see this and downloaded it immediately.

This thangka reminded me of a modern, updated version of the Trijang Rinpoche's thangka which HH Dalai Lama borrowed carried with him in a container on his back throughout the whole 1959 exodus to assure HH's safe escape from Tibet. It was then returned to Trijang Rinpoche upon safe arrival and till this day, this thangka is placed in Trijang Rinpoche's personal home in Gaden.

dondrup

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »
This thangka is simply breathtaking!  The use of a few basic colours clearly brings out the outstanding features of Dorje Shugden.  Black colour normally represents qualities like solemnness, strength, fearlessness, power, wrathfulness and etc. - here it best highlights Dorje Shugden’s wrathfulness and yet the image remains the peaceful form!  We can’t help but wanting to look at this beautiful thangka again and again.   The artist had made Dorje Shugden alive!  It is so soothing to our eyes when we view this thangka.  A commendable work!

Dorje Pakmo

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »
Black is the color of hate, transmuted by the alchemy of wisdom into compassion. Darkness represents the imminence of the absolute, the threshold of the experience. It is used for terrific ritual actions, the radical conquest of evil in all its forms - conquest not by annihilating, but by turning even evil into good. Thus, in the black paintings (Tibetan nagtang) the black ground casts forth deities in luminous visions of translucent colors.

The beautiful Black Thangka of Lord Dorje Shugden is exactly as described by the above words quoted from WisdomBeing's reference. The golden lines and colour in the Thangka clearly define the gentle and peaceful features of Lord Dulzin. While black thangka is usually used for wrathful deities, but this piece of work is simply magnificent showing the peaceful Lord Dulzin on the snow lion looking calm and fearless dispelling the darkness of ignorance.
DORJE PAKMO

Jessie Fong

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 07:34:13 AM »
Thank you Admin for making this nathang available to all who visit this site.

It is absolutely stunning. What a great idea from the artist to represent DS in this way.  I feel the image as alive, ready to "pop" out to help us.

Thank you to the artist for this wonderful piece of art.