Author Topic: Dorje Shugden Empowerment video @NKT  (Read 31019 times)

DSFriend

Re: Dorje Shugden Empowerment video @NKT
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »
I've had the opportunity to visit Manjushri Centre many years back and remember spending some time appreciating very much the beautiful forms of Dorje Shugden in the main prayer hall. I love how Geshe Kelsang Gyatso has made Wrathful Dorje Shugden forms to look so peaceful, to match the mental inclination of western practitioners. And Gen-la Dekyong certainly projects a very peaceful demeanor, gentleness, and such sincere and moving teaching to introduce King Dorje Shugden.

The delivery is so gentle that Gen-la Dekyong beautifully showed through her speech, the gentle and caring qualities of Dorje Shugden.

Now, who would believe the atrocious accusations against gentle Dorje Shugden after listening to Gen-la Dekyong!

Much appreciation to NKT for creating this video and making it available to us all over the world. I love how the short excerpt is interspersed with pictures of people smiling, happy and sharing testimonials about their experience. Great way to promote Manjushri Centre's teachings and Dorje Shugden.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:57:04 PM by DSFriend »

Dolce Vita

• Email
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 04:15:44 PM »
They were so fortunate to receive DS Empowerment. What Gen-la Dekyong said during the ceremony was really touching, DS is compassion, DS is love. She mentioned Dharma is the only thing that can bring us out from our delusions, and DS is here to give us help, to assist us in our spiritual practice.

I am a practitioner for almost 10 months now. I have not received the empowerment, but I feel the power of DS. DS has helped to create condusive environment for me to do my spiritual practice. Compared to 10 months ago, my Dharma knowledge has improved a lot and I am able to help others with Dharma.

I hope I will be able to receive DS Empowerment in future. Finger crossed.. :)

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 04:29:57 PM »
Thank you big uncle for sharing this video here with us although it is short and does not contain a lot of information. To me, I would definitely be drawn to Dorje Shugden after listening to Gen-la Dekyong. She exudes such a positive energy and she is very soft spoken yet convincing. Everyone could see that this is the result of her DS practice that promotes peace and harmony, inwardly and outwardly. I rejoice for the members of NKT in this empowerment ceremony. May I have the merits to attend a ceremony such as this soon.

Gypsy

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 05:12:57 PM »
Thanks for sharing this short yet awakening video. I'm amazed to see the turnouts in the hall. With all the activities that NKT has been doing, it clearly shows that they surpass all the ban, protest and pressure from anti Shugden people, and they make Dorje Shugden practice grow. Dorje Shugden practice is definitely pure Dharma, otherwise NKT wouldn't be growing at such rapid rate.

Love when the holy nun said :" We need help, support and power…" We indeed need help from this Wisdom Buddha to clear our deluded mind that obstruct us from pursuing our Dharma path. I was moved by how Dorje Shugden's caring and loving qualities was delivered by Gen-la Dekyong in a very gentle and pleasing manner. May the ban be lifted very soon!! I really wish the monks in Shar Gaden could have this opportunity to spread DS practice freely and openly...

valeriecheung

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »
This is great video to watch, thks for sharing!

Genla Dekyong done such a good job, i felt calm and learn so much whatching this video. She has power of speech, her talk get to the point and easy to understand. This is true dharma. Now i understand the main reason behind that NKT can grew so fast with so many branches all over world, which is result of guidance of great master Kelsang Gyatso. Not only this, is their dharma teachers sincerity true motivation to share with others the meaning of happiness by spreading buddhism.

NKT practicing real compassion to overcome all obstacles and unfair treatment from CTA to non stop spreading dorje shugden to the world. This shown no matter what happen will not stop them practicing dorje shugden. We should hold ds practice well and gather our positive forces to make the ban lifted.

May i receive dorje shugden empowerment one day!

Ngawang Drakpa

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 04:00:13 AM »
Thank you for posting this video although too short but it is a good talk indeed. The energy from Gen-la Kelsang Dekyong is so peace and so patiently. i was move by her talk when she speaks we need power and help from Dorje Shugden in our dharma practice. It is true we need tremendously help from Lord Dorje Shugden to remove our illusion because we are so silly.

How powerful by just loving kindness with our heart can bring so much joyful to ourself and people around us. I strongly believe if we practice it well every single day with the support, power and help from Lord Dorje Shugden and Je Tsongkhapa, it will bring us up to the beyond level.

Very wonderful video i must share this with my friends.

Thank you again for NKT for producing all these wonderful video. Rejoice...

fruven

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 05:28:39 AM »
Thank you very much for the video.  :) From the video I observed that it is not uncommon as I think and people are open to Dorje Shugden. It is my limited thinking and view when I first heard of the ban without checking the facts and by indirect observation from other people practicing. Are they becoming more kinder, more compassionate, becoming more human being?

It is some of us, include me, who jump up and down saying this is spirit worship because of what we had heard while we continue to go to temple to ask for assistance from deities without questioning ourselves what we are doing at this moment is spirit worship. We trust our wisdom. No matter which side we support, we are not spending our time wisely by shouting negativity continuously. This tell others it is okay to look down on others beliefs, which is the opposite of what Buddha taught.

Big Uncle

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 06:09:18 AM »
Wow! There are sure a lot of responses. Thank you and I am glad you guys find it wonderful to see so many people receive the empowerment and blessings of Dorje Shugden at NKT. I have been researching online a little about Dorje Shugden's empowerment and I found out that it is traditionally called Sogtae or Life Entrustment. And so I found a rather interesting article that gives a description and explanation on Dorje Shugden's Life Entrustment that might be helpful in understanding what it is :-

Life Entrustment

A complete and historical understanding of life entrustment, or srog gtad (pronounced as 'Sogtae'), would be welcome in order to properly consider something so-often mentioned but rarely understood. In any case, many detractors of Shugden utter the words “life entrustment” as if it was a grave matter somehow distinguished from the rest of Vajrayana Buddhism. However, the term is overly mysterious when considered out of the context of having considerable knowledge of Vajrayana Buddhism. Upon examination, life entrustment can be found for many other protectors. And life entrustment is not unlike many other subsequent permission initiations (rje gnang) given for yidams, with a few exceptions noted.

The exact origin of life entrustment seems to be unknown, and it is also possible that the term came to be popular at a certain time and was used in place of initiation (rje gang). It would appear that “life entrustment” (srog gtad) and “life empowerment” (srog dbang) are used interchangeably. Although life entrustment is similar to a subsequent permission initiation (rje gnang), it would appear the term life entrustment is never used in relation to yidams. Life entrustment does not entail self-generation, and it appears there is a lack of recognition of this fact by Von Brück. This is possibly the root of confusion of Von Brück’s investigation of this matter:

The meditational practice regarding these yidams is identification with the deity, which is possible through complete surrender or the 'life-entrustment' of body, speech and mind by special initiation. (CDI, 335).
Describing identification with a yidam, self-generation or deity yoga, as life-entrustment is a misappropriation of the term life entrustment considered here. Self-generation and life entrustment cannot be assumed to be the same thing, the former term is used to describe this identification with the deity in practice while the latter term is used in the initiation process only. Usage of the term surrender is also non-technical within the context of Vajrayana, and it is not relevant within the context of initiation or subsequent deity yoga itself.

In any case, one can find life entrustment rituals in the 17th century by the Fifth Dalai Lama for the protector Dorje Barwa Tsel. Dreyfus claims that “It does not appear that these ceremonies are practiced in the case of protectors such as Ne-chung, but I have not been able to obtain clear information on this point.” (SA, 266). However, a life entrustment ritual for Nechung can be found in the collected works of Thuken Dharmavajra (1737-1802, bka' srung rgyal po sku lnga'i srog gtad bya tshul ches gsal ba). By the 19th century, life entrustments can be found in some Gelug masters’ collected works. In the collected works of Changlung Pandita (1770-1845), one finds a life entrustment to the Five Warriors connected with the Hayagriva Most Secret Form (rta mgrin yang gsang). The collected works of Gendun Dargye has a life entrustment ritual for Setrabchen per the instructions of his teacher Gomang Tenpa Choepel (1840-1907/1908). Life entrustment rituals for various protectors can be found in the collected works of Rongchen Kirti Lobsang Trinley (1849-1904), including Setrabchen and Dorje Shugden. In particular, as mentioned earlier, there existed a different life entrustment for Dorje Shugden written down by Rinchen Wangyal (1741-1812) of Sera Monastery.

Life entrustment rituals can be found in other traditions as well. This includes the works of Jamgon Kongtrul who has life entrustments connected to Tsiu Marpo (Gnod sbying ya ba rkya bdun), Four Face Mahakala (ye shes mgon po gdong bzhi pa'i srog gtad), and other protectors. Life entrustments can be found to other protectors such as Ekajati and Maning Mahakala.

Some may get the impression that life entrustment initiation is complete surrender to a protector; however, upon examining several initiation rituals, this is certainly not the case. Rather, what is found closely resembles permission initiations (rje gnang) related to yidams. This is case for the Fifth Dalai Lama’s life entrustment initiation for Dorje Barwa Tsel (lha chen rdo rje 'bar ba rtsal gyi srog gtad kyi rje gnang mu thi la'i 'phreng ba bzhugs so: 5DL, vol.22 pages 857-868). This particular initiation includes blessings of aspects of the protector through the medium of a torma. Also, in this initiation these five blessings are followed by a command (bka' bsgo) to the protector to protect the initiate from harm and demons, to perform activities on behalf of the initiate, and to increase the prosperity, merit, and Dharma activities of the initiate.
Initiations in general may entail the initiate abiding by certain commitments (dam tshig) after receiving the initiation. This is a common feature of Vajrayana Buddhism. In some cases, this means daily recitation of a sadhana. With protectors it may entail that monthly fulfillment or torma rituals be observed, which is less time consuming in comparison to a daily sadhana. For example, the life entrustment to the Five Warriors related to Hayagriva by Changlung Pandita states that one should offer tormas (mchod gtor) on a monthly basis.

Von Brück claims that a controversy with the Shugden life entrustment has to do with his ontological status, i.e. whether he is a worldly deity or not. He claims that life entrustment would be appropriate only if Shugden is transworldly and not worldly (CDI, 341). However, such a dispute would have been a long standing issue with the some of the other protectors listed above. In particular, in the conclusion of Thuken Dharmavajra’s life entrustment to the Five Kings we find the statement “Although you are beyond the world you assume a worldly form.” (LCN, vol. 7 page 790). This matches Pabongkha Rinpoche’s ontological view of Shugden, so there is nothing new that Pabongkha Rinpoche introduced that would cause a valid objection to having a life entrustment.

Von Brück also claims that Shugden is not mentioned in a particular Tagphu initiation manual, and because of this it means that Shugden is not from a high class of deities:

In his 'Initiation texts for the practice of the visionary teachings' which he had received from Losang Choekyi Wangchuk (blo bzang chos kyi dbang phyug), there are teachings on Amitayus, Avalokiteshvara, Vajrapani, Tara and the Guru Yoga, and there is no mention of Shugden because the text deals with high Tantric initiations. That Shugden is not mentioned in this context suggests that he considers the deity not among this high class of deities. (CDI, 339).

However, this argument is a complete fallacy on the part of Von Brück because the initiation manual is for 13 visions of an earlier incarnation of Tagphu, Losang Choekyi Wangchuk (1765-1792), and it was a later incarnation of Tagphu, Jampel Tenpai Ngodrup (1876-1935), who was Pabongkha Rinpoche’s master. This initiation manual is specific only to Losang Choekyi Wangchuk’s visions. The later Tagphu incarnation received these initiations of his earlier incarnation and propagated these to Pabongkha Rinpoche. Pabongkha Rinpoche never claimed that the earlier Tagphu—Losang Choekyi Wangchuk—had had a vision of Shugden, rather it was the later Tagphu—Jampel Tenpai Ngodrup—who did so, at the request of Pabongkha Rinpoche. Therefore, the fact that Shugden is not mentioned in the initiation manual is not because of his ontological status, rather Shugden was simply not included in the set of visions of the earlier Tagphu incarnation.

In summary, life entrustment initiation to a protector resembles a subsequent permission initiation (rje gnang) to a yidam, with the exception of self-generation (as protectors are not yidams). It would appear that there is no reason or known historical case to raise the issue of a controversy in relation to life entrustment as von Brück does. We find life entrustments in the Gelug tradition for several centuries. In particular, Nechung is considered ultimately enlightened taking a worldly form, which is the same view of Dorje Shugden posited by Pabongkha Rinpoche, Serkong Dorje Chang and other masters. It is not clear if there was a controversy related to a Nechung life entrustment or not, but it would not be a fair exception to single Dorje Shugden out. Moreover, we find that an earlier eminent master preceding Pabongkha Rinpoche, Serkong Dorje Chang, did raise the subject of Dorje Shugden life entrustment and actually recommended it. It would appear that an issue with life entrustment was raised only due to bias against Pabongkha Rinpoche.
(Taken from http://www.dorjeshugdenhistory.org/misc-ds-vajrayana.html )

bambi

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 07:46:46 AM »
what is this all about? everything this nun says is so vague and new agey. all this stuff about love - oh please. there are so many bookshelves full of these kinds of self help lovey lovey books. give me a break already. this isn't dharma. she doesn't say anything tangible. she just keeps saying you should pray and ask shugden to help you. and love makes the world go round. and we need help and support. So pray, hm!! isn't buddhism about helping yourself and not just throwing it all on some god to help you? this sounds just like those christians sermons they made me go to as a kid where they just tell you that you should put your faith in god and that's the end of it.  Buddhism is supposed to be so logical and progressive. but here she is just talking like those wooly new age healers. i didn't learn anything from this video and i find it hard to believe that anyone here who is a real practitioner would either. how is this an empowerment?

why do all of you just jump on some invisible band wagon rah rah rah all just saying how great it is. do you really think it is? what do you really get out of this video anyway that could actually help you or which you don't already know from a self help book?

em·pow·er? ?[em-pou-er]
verb (used with object)
1. to give power or authority to; authorize, especially by legal or official means

Dear Karla,

This video was uploaded for viewing and many who are aware of NKT's development know what is this video about. As real practitioners of Dorje Shugden, we rejoice because of the people who went for the empowerment and how much they will benefit from His practice. By the way, its only a 4 mins plus video so it is most probably a tiny fraction of the whole empowerment. How can you say judge and have thoughts that you think you know?  ;D Genla Dekyong was giving a Dharma teaching so how can it not be Dharma? Dharma have to be tangible? If without Dorje Shugden, Buddhas, Gods and Allah, does this mean all of us can just rely on books on bookshelves? Everyone can still be happy and self helped through books? Praying and asking for help is a way to help us overcome our obstacles so that we are able to practice Dharma and that is why He is called a Dharma Protector.  ;D

bambi

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 08:14:48 AM »
Thank you for the video Big Uncle. Too bad it was a short one with only pictures. Tried to look for the longer version but couldn't find it, instead I found this by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso giving a Dharma teaching about Dorje Shugden.
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso's Talk on Dorje Shugden Small | Large

Genla Dekyong's speech is so gentle and comfortable. Really inviting to hear Her give the short Dharma talk. I am really amazed at the amount of people who attended. The picture that captured my attention was the picture of the little girl. So young and so good karma to be able to have Dorje Shugden in her life at such a young age. May all of us who practice Dorje Shugden continue to benefit many and join together to lift the ban once and for all.

How can a 'cult' be SO HUGE and STILL GROWING?  ??? Amazing that people can be narrow minded and create such lies! May they stop having wrong views and wrong perceptions that will create more negative karma.

Lineage of teachers

The NKT traces its spiritual lineage (unbroken lineage) through these main Buddhist figures:

Buddha Shakyamuni
Vajradhara
Manjushri
Atisha
Je Tsongkhapa
Pabongka Rinpoche
Kyabje Trijang Dorjechang
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso

Q

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 03:26:36 PM »
Dear Big Uncle,

Thank you so much for sharing this video with us. It is wonderful to see so many people received Dorje Shugden's practice on that fortunate day... I wish more people will be fortunate enough to receive His practice. I feel so touched watching this short clips of Geshe Dekyong... I love how she delivers the Dharma to the people, so peaceful. It is so befitting for NKT's Manjushri centre to have a resident teacher that have the speech like Manjushri's.

Watching this video reminds me on how fortunate I am to have received Dorje Shugden's practice from my kind Guru. In this degenerated time, not only is it difficult to come across the Dharma, but to have particularly be connected with Dorje Shugden's practice is most precious as His help comes swiftly, no matter terrible our present karma is. My kind Guru have always stressed on how DS is the protector of our time and through His help, we can clear the obstacles to our Dharma practice.

May NKT continue to bring Dorje Shugden's practice to countless of people in this age... we all know we're in dire need of His blessings.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 04:02:56 PM »
It's good to see there's so many people from the west is benefited from NKT, and be able to receive a very powerful Dorje Shugden   Empowerment. Genla Dekyong speech is gentle yet very very clearly stating the benefit of practicing Dharma and be compassion and having Dorje Shugden as our Dharma Protector so that He can clear our obstacles in order for us to pursue our path in Dharma. Genla Dekyong delivered Her speech with so much care and compassion and sometimes i wonder why would them accusing us as a Cult and yet we are not the group of people who dragged, spitted, destroyed a statue!!! We are not the group of people who use force, throwing stones into a holy places. We are just a group of people who choose to follow a path which so many High lamas had practiced. How can this be? Cult?

negra orquida

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 04:11:02 PM »
Thank you Big Uncle and bambi for sharing the videos.  I really enjoyed them both and feel very peaceful after watching it.  I used to go to an NKT centre to listen to the resident monk teach dharma, and i feel that the way the monk teaches is quite similar to Genla here... very soothing, patient, and calming.  I suppose they are a reflection of their guru Geshe Kelsang Gyatso who is just radiating with kindness and love. It is great to see so many participants feeling happy about the workshop, and engaging in meditation together.

if worshipping a spirit could result in one being so happy, at peace and clam, then that spirit is a REALLY good one.  I have not heard of a spirit that brings happiness to others.

May Geshe Kelsang Gyatso live long and well to achieve NKT's goals.  We support you!

Scott Lee

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2012, 10:22:40 AM »
This is so neat, the nun speaks so well, her soft voice represented her kind heart, makes me so wanted go for the empowerment, she is the empowerment, she represented Kadampa & DS so well!

I hope more dharma center will conduct DS empowerment, seeing so many people attended the empowerment and benefited form there, how would Dorje Shugden be evil, as claimed by a few from Dharamsala? These people saying bad things, on what basis and what evidence they have? If they dont have evidence, perhaps they are the one spreading rumours, creating gossip out of jealousy, and they are actually the bad guys?

You have anything to say or defense?

michaela

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »
This video is very beautiful!  My wish is one day I will create the cause for receiving DS empowerment..

I would like though to have more explanations on the empowerment itself and it will be great if we can see the full empowerment video.