Author Topic: News from Shar Gaden  (Read 138802 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: News from Shar Gaden
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2010, 09:02:36 AM »
My friend told me that the Shar Gaden and Serpom Monastery monks cannot go to the Upper and Lower tantric colleges of Gyuto and Gyumed. I was wondering - can anyone let me know where the monks will pursue their further studies? Will there be the alternative tantric colleges or will they continue at Shar Gaden and Serpom?

Thanks,
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

honeydakini

« Reply #166 on: August 12, 2010, 09:47:47 AM »
TS: A great photo! And definitely you're creating the causes for you to be among the maroon, IN MAROON! i am grateful for your updates - they are precious insights into a world I wish i could be a part of. Every little detail is so exciting, even the "simple" things like their class schedules and class topics!

it is wonderful to hear about the monks' studies for this is what prepares them to go out and teach even more of the world! It all begins here!!

Do they have extra-curricular activities too? you mentioned that they learn art and ritual on their own. Are things like sport or hobbies etc a part of their daily schedule too (like it was for us at school?)

Oh dear, look at me going off on a big tangent with lots of questions for you, when you are already so busy. Keep up the good work. We always look forward to hearing more, but of course, we understand how busy you are so no pressure!

Much love from all around the world to you and all at Shar Gaden!

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2010, 03:07:37 PM »
The Geluk Exam at Shar Gaden

The Annual Geluk Exam and the Yarney’s Debate festival simultaneously take place during the Summer Retreat (varshavas) where the first one attended by the alumnus of Shar Gaden who have passed all the monastic exams getting encouraging marks and the participants of the Yarney’s Debate Festival are selected two participants randomly from each class (from color to Vinaya) by a captain in presence of the Venerable Abbot and the Disciplinarian. The Annual Geluk Exam rotates it’s venue every year, this year, Serpom monastery is hosting the event with a great preparation of accommodation, food etc for three longs weeks. And the next year, it will be hosted by Shar Gaden with the above responsibilities.

On the 11th, August, morning around 7:30, the participants of both Geluk Exam and Yarney’s Debate Festival have assembled at the New Debate Courtyard where they have performed clarifying obstacles puja (sang soe) by burning incenses and the blessed leaves. The Geluk Exam’s participant are leaving Shar Gaden on 12th, August for Serpom Monastery and the Exam is starting on 15th, August. They will be having the exam in Serpom while we will be having Yarney’s Debate Festival here in Shar Gaden with only differences of coule of days. This two event are considered the most significant Dharmic activities in the Summer Retreat.

The both event will be an acid-test for the participants, the senior students have to compose, debate, answer each and every questions from the Five Major Treaties of Buddhist Philosophy (1.PramanaVidya Logic, 2.Prajnaparamita Perfection of Wisdom, 3.Madhyamika Middle Way Philosophy, 4.Abidharma The Treasure of Knowledge, and 5.Vinaya Spiritual Rules and Moral Law) and the younger students who are randomly selected, have to debate each other on a specific subject extensively in the middle of all the monks during a session.

http://shargadenpa.org/geluk-exam

About 35 of the monks left for Serpom last night to attand this event. These are the monks who are working towards the Geshe Lharampa degree. They attend this gathering every year for 5-6 years and are then eligible to take the final exams. This is the culmination of over 20 years of rigorous study.

They will be at Serpom for about 2 weeks.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »
Here are some new videos of Shar Gaden that are now on the education website.
One is about the debate session, and the other is about Tsongkhapa's Parinirvana day prayers.

http://shargadeneducation.org/videos.html
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:16:09 PM by Tenzin Sungrab »

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2010, 07:56:22 AM »
Thank u Tenzin Sungrab

u're our knight in bring shining armour in Shar Gaden!

I pray that more people like u may come forth to assist in welcoming the dawn of Shugden

humbly
Harry
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

beggar

« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2010, 08:50:27 AM »
Here are some new videos of Shar Gaden that are now on the education website.
One is about the debate session, and the other is about Tsongkhapa's Parinirvana day prayers.

http://shargadeneducation.org/videos.html

Tenzin Sungrab,

Thanks for the link man! I just checked them out - great to see so many young monks starting their education in the monastery!

I had a few questions: where do all these young monks come from? are their families from neighbouring villages in mundgod? I assume that their families must also be Dorje Shugden practitioners but it is very courageous of them to place their children in a "controversial" monastery where they come to the forefront of the political situation.

sorry all the questions but it is just very exciting to see a whole new young generation of sangha that will courageously lead the way and become the new teachers to uphold the lineage!

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2010, 05:15:55 AM »
My friend told me that the Shar Gaden and Serpom Monastery monks cannot go to the Upper and Lower tantric colleges of Gyuto and Gyumed. I was wondering - can anyone let me know where the monks will pursue their further studies? Will there be the alternative tantric colleges or will they continue at Shar Gaden and Serpom?

Thanks,
I asked a few of the monks here about this and the answer seems to be that there are no immediate plans to start another tantric college. The monks here at Shar Gaden study tantra with their individual teachers and many of the texts that are iememorized are tantric in nature, which is quite different from the other Gelug monasteries.
They also study tantra through a text by Panchen Sonam Drakpa based on the 13 diety Yamantaka system, as well as a text by the 101st Gaden Tripa, Lungri Namgyal Rinpoche, based on the solitary hero Yamantaka system.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:28:28 PM by Tenzin Sungrab »

WisdomBeing

« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2010, 08:02:16 AM »

Thanks,
I asked a few of the monks here about this and the answer seems to be that there are no immediate plans to start another tantric college. The monks here at Shar Gaden study tantra with their individual teachers and many of the texts that are memorized are tantric in nature, which is quite different from the other Gelug monasterys.
They also study tantra through a text by Panchen Sonam Drakpa based on the 13 diety Yamantaka system, as well as a text by the 101st Gaden Tripa, Lungri Namgyal Rinpoche, based on the solitary hero Yamantaka system.

Thank you Tenzin Sungrab.. i very much appreciate you taking the time to get information for our questions here on this forum. I know you're so busy already.

It's interesting to know that the monks are studying tantra at Shar Gaden already. I had thought that the gelug monasteries only study tantra at Gyuto or Gyumed. I guess Shar Gaden (and I presume Serpom also) would develop their own systems of study based on their different circumstances - i.e. not having access to the tantric colleges. It's really a case of evolving the methods through time, though keeping the teachings traditional and pure.

Much love to you and Shar Gaden and keep up the wonderful work!

I'm also keeping your mom in my prayers.

Take care now,

honeydakini

« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »
I asked a few of the monks here about this and the answer seems to be that there are no immediate plans to start another tantric college. The monks here at Shar Gaden study tantra with their individual teachers and many of the texts that are iememorized are tantric in nature, which is quite different from the other Gelug monasteries.

This is great to hear, thank you.

I guess it mustn't be forgotten that many of the greatest DS lamas out there are unexcelled tantric practitioners and highly learned in all the teachings so it makes sense that they can begin their own tradition of teaching and learning instead of having to rely the existing procedure of going to the tantric colleges.

And with texts like those written by Panchen Sonam Drakpa and the 101st Gaden Tripa, I guess you can't go far wrong!

Many prayers and best wishes to you T.S. and much love and prayers for your mother too.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2010, 04:44:25 AM »
Here is a photo I took this morning of the monks debating.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »
Shar Gaden has a 4 minute video which is very nice. It says it's part 1 of their history. Wonderful scenes. I look forward to part 2:

Small | Large

Helena

• Email
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2010, 01:29:33 PM »
Oh wow, thank you again, TS!

It is really a priviledge that you are sharing so much updates with us all from Shar Gaden.

I can't tell you how wonderful it is to know that you are right there with them and that we are getting real life updates from you.

I am sure you are very busy and yet you take the time to do.

I sincerely thank you deeply.

May Shar Gaden grow bigger and bigger. May many more be able to join Shar Gaden.
Helena

kurava

• Email
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2010, 07:52:06 AM »
I think the status of the refugee camps and Tibetans –in Exile Govt in Indian soil  is in a grey and sensitive area of Indian politics. I am sure the ordinary Indian laws and remedies for common Indian citizens may not apply with same effectiveness for exiles.

Least we can do is to give monetary support and voice to their courageous cause and pray that the  sincere and pure motivation of Shar Gaden monks will overcome all obstacles to their work and flourish of Lama Tsongkapa doctrine and DS practice.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2010, 02:45:04 PM »
Here is an update on the Shar Gaden Educational Project's website:

http://shargadeneducation.org/news.html

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2010, 11:31:18 AM »
Here is a link to the website with some pictures of the ceremony in Mongolia that just finished. It was attended by Kyabje Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche, as well as the venerable abbot of Shar Gaden.
http://shargadenpa.org/ceremony-in-mongolia
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:33:26 AM by Tenzin Sungrab »