Author Topic: tattoo of Dorje Shugden  (Read 28106 times)

Poonlarp

• Email
Re: tattoo of Dorje Shugden
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 04:34:30 PM »
I also have the thought of, if I have a holy image tattoos, when I go bath room or having intercourse, it will be not respectful to the holy image. So to cut down all confusion, I rather don't have any tattoos even I think it's cool. So let the holy beings stay in our mind better than our body, as it will be with us from life to life.

But I have this question in my mind...

As Buddhists, should or shouldn't we have tattoos? As tattoo is something permanent, and Buddhism concept is "nothing is permanent". Is tattoo contradict to Buddhist thought?

If people saying, a tattoo is a mark of certain meaningful thing happened in their life, but if you holding onto that thing, you are attached to it as if it's permanent.

Of course for Thai Buddhism's case is, tattoos is a protection, but what about others Buddhist lineage?

Gypsy

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »
I've always love to have tattoo on my body since young but i wouldn't do any holy beings on my body as i think it's quite disrespectful, and i have heard that to tattoo on our body is kinda like an attachment to skin. Is it real?

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 05:29:37 AM »
I guess a tattoo for most of us is to adorn our skin so it is a form of attachment. However, I don’t see it as different from wanting to wear nice clothes or piercing our ears and wearing earrings though I guess a tattoo is a permanent adornment – or rather, it’s as permanent as our skin remains! I've (sadly) given up the idea of tattooing Manjushri on my back because of the disrespect thing. In the sense of attachment, it would conflict with Buddhism, but my bigger concern is that it interferes with our 72,000 channels for meditation.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Big Uncle

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 06:47:44 AM »
I guess a tattoo for most of us is to adorn our skin so it is a form of attachment. However, I don’t see it as different from wanting to wear nice clothes or piercing our ears and wearing earrings though I guess a tattoo is a permanent adornment – or rather, it’s as permanent as our skin remains! I've (sadly) given up the idea of tattooing Manjushri on my back because of the disrespect thing. In the sense of attachment, it would conflict with Buddhism, but my bigger concern is that it interferes with our 72,000 channels for meditation.

I am not too fond of the idea of having Buddha images on my body but I do like the idea of having mantras tattooed on my body. Just like the Thai monks would tattoo on the bodies of lay people for protection. For me, I have always had the fascination with Manjushri and I would very much like his seed syllable to be tattooed on my arm. I think that is so neat! I might just go and get it before I receive empowerment. I won't do anymore tattoos on my body after that. I really don't think it is that big a deal to fuss about having tattoos unless my Lama says so.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2012, 02:44:04 PM »
Actually, the Thai mantra tattoos are yantras/mandalas that are not exactly something Buddhist but from Hinduism. A yantra looks like a mandala, but instead of representing a pureland, it represents the energy of a deity. It is more widely used in hinduism as compared to Buddhism. This practice is called Sak Yant: Sak means to tap on (tattooing) and Yant is yantra. Here's a little more on that:

For hundreds of years, Thai and Khmer warriors where renowned and feared for the magical markings tattooed on their skin.

These markings were a mix of Buddhist psalms and prayers, and shamanistic spells and sorcery that had survived the Religious transition from the pre-Buddhist, Hindu era and been incorporated in the belief system of the newly born Buddhist countries. Since the days of King Nareswon, in the golden era of Ayuttaya, Thai soldiers have sought protection in the power of Sak Yant and the wearing and praying to of amulets.

Thai soldiers were nicknamed “Taharn Phee” (ghost soldiers) In WW2, Korean, Vietnam wars, by the allied forces, because of their Sak Yant tattoos and amulets.

Many Muay Thai Boxers (“Nak Muay”), seek the magical powers said to be afforded them by Sak Yant tattoos.

Stories abound of miraculous escapes from serious injury from motor vehicle accidents, violent assaults, stabbings and even gunshots, I (webmaster) personally, have met an ex British soldier, who while serving in Iraq, took a direct hit on his helmet from a bullet, which ricocheted away without peircing, he firmly believes that it was from the effect of his Yants, that he received from Archarn Anek.

A Yant is a Sacred geometrical design that provide powers of protection and various blessings through Buddhist psalms and magical formulas. The Buddhist psalms written in Thai or Khmer script around these yant are know as “kata”. A kata is also known as “Mantra” in the western world, the word Mantra is a Sanskrit word meaning “prayer”.

This is very different from the idea of having a Buddha image on the body. Which will always get dirty and stink...do we want to offer that to the Buddhas? Do we use the Buddhas as our shields or as someone that can bring us enlightenment?

Big Uncle

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2012, 08:26:33 AM »
This mantras on the body will always remind me of the haunting tale of Hoichi the earless. I think I watched a movie adaptation of this Japanese legend and it has firmly ingrained in me the power of Buddhist mantras. I found a wikipedia entry of this legend and I thought I shared here with all of you.

Hoichi the Earless (Mimi-nashi H?ichi?) is the name of a tale and title character in an adaptation of Japanese mythology. His story is well known in Japan, and the best-known English translation first appeared in the book Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things by Lafcadio Hearn.

A version of this story appears in the film Kwaidan, as well as the play The Dream of a Summer Day, which are both based on Hearn's work.

The source text Hearn used has been identified as the work of Isseki Sanjin, entitled "Biwa no hikyoku y?rei wo nakashimu", in the series Gay? kidan, vol. 2, (pub. 1782).

The vintage text also names H?ichi as the biwa strumming protagonist, and is set in Akama-seki, Ch?sh?, at the Buddhist temple named Amidaji (all as in Hearn's version). This locale is identifiable as today's Akama Shrine in Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi.

A variant version collected by folklorists is called Mimikiri Dan'ichi "Ear-cut Danichi", taken down from Tokushima Prefecture (near Dannoura), and is mentioned by Kunio Yanagita in Hitotsume koz? sono ta.

Hoichi is often referenced in the book Blood Ninja and Blood Ninja 2, as the character Shusaku's choice to paint himself in order to hide from other vampires is compared to the tale of Hoichi.

Legend summary

According to legend, Hoichi was a blind minstrel (or biwa hoshi) with amazing gifts for the biwa (a loquat-shaped Japanese lute). He was particularly good at performing the Tale of the Heike, an epic describing the fall of Emperor Antoku, who is buried at Amidaji Temple. His performances were so wonderful that "even the goblins could not refrain from tears." Despite his talents, Hoichi was very poor and was forced to live at Amidaji Temple with a friendly priest.

As the story goes, Hoichi was approached late one night by a gruff samurai who demanded that the minstrel play for his lord. The retainer led the blind Hoichi into what appeared to be the home of some powerful nobleman, where a performance of the Tale of the Heike was requested. Hoichi's performance was met by high praise and moved his audience to tears, and he was asked to return the next evening for a follow-up recital. Before the retainer returned him to his temple, Hoichi was told that the nobleman for whom he had been playing was traveling incognito, and was warned not to speak of the evening's events.

Play of Hoichi the Earless ?Kobe City Suma temple
The following evening, the samurai returned to Hoichi's quarters and led him back to the nobleman. However, this time Hoichi's absence was discovered by his friend, the priest of Amidaji Temple. The priest grew suspicious and instructed his servants to look after Hoichi the next night. When they saw him leaving the temple the servants gave chase and eventually found Hoichi playing his biwa furiously in the middle of the Amidaji cemetery. When they dragged him back to the temple, Hoichi explained the previous night's events to the priest.

Realizing that Hoichi had been bewitched by ghosts, the priest vowed to save his friend from further trickery. He painted Hoichi's body with the kanji characters of the Heart Sutra for protection and instructed him to remain silent and motionless when he is called upon by his ghostly audience. That evening the samurai called for Hoichi as before, and was angered when he received no response. The ghostly samurai approached Hoichi but was unable to see anything but his ears. The sutra had rendered the rest of Hoichi's body invisible. Attempting to comply with his orders, the samurai ripped Hoichi's ears off as proof that they had been the only portion of the lute player that was available.

After the ghostly retainer had left, Hoichi was still too frightened to react, despite the blood gushing from the wounds on his head. When the priest returned, he realized in dismay that he had neglected to write the sutra on Hoichi's ears, which had left them vulnerable to the spirit. Despite his injury, Hoichi's ordeal had freed him from the spirit's power, and he went on to recover from his wounds and become a famous musician.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 12:07:45 PM »
Here are other interesting viewpoints with regards to tattoos in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. Perhaps, this might shed light tattooing in the Tibetan tradition:

ADVICE CONCERNING MANTRA TATTOOS:
There are many different mantras that have different meaning and significance, not only in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition but also of other traditions and languages such as Chinese, Japanese and Thai.
Before considering a mantra for a tattoo it is best to have an understanding of what the mantra represents and to know something of its origin and deeper meaning. There are many resources on the Internet that explain mantras.
Because mantras and sacred words are worthy of respect, there needs to be careful consideration where a mantra is placed on the body as a tattoo.
As ones body is ones own temple, the advice given is to place mantras and sacred words high up on the body and not below the waist line, not to place back-to-front or up-side-down.
There is some confusion if a mantra is the right way up when placed on the arms, which is of course relative to which position one is holding the arm and from which direction yourself or other is viewing the arm. But generally if it appears the right-way-up when looking at ones own forearms it is correct, however on the upper arm should be in relation to the rest of your body and should appear the right-way-up to others who see the tattoo.
Turning a mantra or sacred words on their side to align vertically on the torso or upper arms is also acceptable.
https://www.inkessential.com/index.php/ink_essential/sacred-integrity

Of all the traditions, the Tibetan tradition is known to be the most pragmatic and flexible. This does sound like a logical workaround and a logical explanation to mantra tattooing, but nothing is being said about Buddha images tho.

Dorje Pakmo

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2012, 07:46:16 AM »
Tattooing a Buddha image onto our skin, I personally do not think it's a bad thing, however, I think it should be avoided as we really do not know if our actions, the place we visit or what kind of projections we give to the people that see the tattoo.

We are taught to treat everything related to Buddha respectfully. The Buddha statue, image, Dharma Books, Sacred text, and other holy items. Hence, I feel getting a tattoo should be the same. I've at a point of time wanted to get a tattoo of Vajrayogini, but like WisdomBeing, I wasn't sure and because my boyfriend was so against me getting a tattoo, I've shelved that thought for a long time.

From the posting of this forum, it seems like no one is really sure whether tattooing a Buddha image is disrespectful or not, or whether will it cause any negative Karma, I think it's safest one do not do it unless after consulting his/her Guru, and the Guru says it's ok to do so. I am not sure anyone will ask their Guru this though  :P

So I think instead of creating Karma out of ignorance and if we really like to tattoo our skin so much. It's better we tattoo other things that is meaningful and we feel can help us with our practice. I may quietly have a lotus tattooed.... when my boyfriend is away :P
DORJE PAKMO

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2012, 09:37:39 AM »
Tattooing a Buddha image onto our skin, I personally do not think it's a bad thing, however, I think it should be avoided as we really do not know if our actions, the place we visit or what kind of projections we give to the people that see the tattoo.

We are taught to treat everything related to Buddha respectfully. The Buddha statue, image, Dharma Books, Sacred text, and other holy items. Hence, I feel getting a tattoo should be the same. I've at a point of time wanted to get a tattoo of Vajrayogini, but like WisdomBeing, I wasn't sure and because my boyfriend was so against me getting a tattoo, I've shelved that thought for a long time.

From the posting of this forum, it seems like no one is really sure whether tattooing a Buddha image is disrespectful or not, or whether will it cause any negative Karma, I think it's safest one do not do it unless after consulting his/her Guru, and the Guru says it's ok to do so. I am not sure anyone will ask their Guru this though  :P

So I think instead of creating Karma out of ignorance and if we really like to tattoo our skin so much. It's better we tattoo other things that is meaningful and we feel can help us with our practice. I may quietly have a lotus tattooed.... when my boyfriend is away :P

If in refuge vows we must treat every image of the Buddha as the actual Buddha itself, then we would have to treat the tattooed image on the skin as the actual Buddha as well. Then, how can we really respect that if it is on our skin? Our bodies are impure by nature, which is why it sweats and it smells if we do not wash it and when we die it actually rots. So how does it respect the image when we tattoo when that happens? We can keep cleaning and cleaning, but it does not help to respect the image. Mantras, it seems are okay, but i am not too keen on tattoos in the first place, as it reinforces the belief that our bodies belong to us. Usually people who have tattoos do it because they feel that they need to have some sort of ownership of their bodies. Thus, it is actually quite contradictory to the Buddha's teachings to actually have a tattoo as it only serves to increase our delusion. However, having a tattoo to remind us of the Buddha is a different story, but even that, there is also the issue of cleanliness and purity that I mentioned earlier.

Also, I have heard that having tattoos will disrupt our psychic nerves and channels which run all over the body. This make sense as it works by breaking the surface of the skin, and then injecting the pigment into it. In that process, there is a huge chance of nerve endings and blood vessels being destroyed. When these are destroyed, it will affect the flow of the winds in the body and create an imbalance. Thus, getting tattoos is greatly discouraged by Lamas. Aslo, for those with initiation, it is not allowed for them to get a tattoo or a piercing as their bodies actually belong to the Yidam and it would be a breach of tantric vows.

diablo1974

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
Personally, i feel that there is nothing wrong to hv tattoos on our skin, the intention is important though, one's might feel closer to the buddhas with images of buddhas pierced on the skin so as to remind themselves the qualities of buddhas, while wearing a buddha pendant might work for some people. In countries like usa, tattoos has becomes an artform where stunning tattoos are created by artists...its aesthetic is no less than traditional art in museums. But in Some south east asia countries, tattoos are stereotypes of hooligans, secret society.

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2012, 05:34:47 PM »
I saw this tattoo which was posted on the Dorje Shugden facebook and I thought it was awesome!

I love tattoos and have a few already. I would love to get one of Dorje Shugden to add to my collection of tatts but just when I had decided on where and what to put as my next tatt, i was told that i shouldn't. I was wondering if it's like disrespectful to tattoo pictures of Buddhas on our bodies? Or are tattoos not good in general? Does anyone have anything to share about this? Thanks!

I agree with most opinions stated here and I would not have a Dorje Shugden image tattooed on my body. For that matter, I would not have images of any Enlightened Being tattooed. Instead of tattoos I prefer to wear a Dorje Shugden T-shirt or a few T-shirts and caps with each of the five forms printed on or wear several pendants of different designs. Since once tattooed it becomes almost permanent until death then I prefer to wear Dorje Shugden images done on those items I mentioned.

Barzin

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2012, 06:43:01 PM »
To me tattoo is not wrong, even tattoo the image of a buddha is not wrong.  But it is our action, where we will carry this image to.  We can't even guarantee our body, speech and mind from creating negative karma; how would we ensure that tattooed an enlightened being on our body will ensure us to have good actions always?  I saw many people with a lot of religious inspired tattoo, but I wonder how many of them actually know the meaning behind it.  If they do not know, do you think they will collect negative karma if they misconduct?  We praise the enlightened ones, respect them and revere them but I think the best place is to carry the Buddha image in our hearts.

But never the less, great to see this picture surface again and this guy for having so much faith in Dorje Shugden and not afraid to show.  I wonder what would His Holiness says...  I applaud this guy for his great work in using his body to bring Dorje Shugden imprint into many that see his arms!!!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 07:46:15 AM »
I found a fun Tibetan opinion on Buddha tattoos on the body. Do have a read. Perhaps, it might change the way you think about the whole tattoo on the body issue.

NO? Then STOP getting them TATTOOED on your LEFT ARM WHICH YOU USE TO WIPE YOUR ASS WITH!

To the non-Tibetans who get them tattooed on their body. Your tattoo’s offend me. We call them SACRED for a reason. Every time I see one of you’s walking by with a Thanka painted on your body, I fight the urge to punch you in the face. Also, YOU ARE NOT COOL.

Unless you’re a Thai Monk.

From Angry Tibetan Girl.

It is a cultural issue in more ways than one, but more importantly, what do you feel about this equation that having a tattoo on our bodies is the same as wiping dirt with thangkas....that Buddha images are sacred for a reason and they should not be mistreated. Would you consider their feelings into consideration in some way? Does this change your opinion on having Tibetan Buddhist tattoos?

brian

• Email
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 03:51:56 PM »
I think i have heard of tattoos of mantras or holy images on your body is not good. It means disrespectful to the triple gem. Why? if i can remember correctly it is not good because of when we have images or mantras on our body and we have sex with our partner, it is not respectful. But then again i see a lot of people have mantras tattooed onto their body (especially when i am in Thailand), so i am not entirely sure if it is the proper way. I think we can do better with just wearing pendants or chakras if it is for protection purposes rather than have it tattooed onto our body.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 04:12:07 AM »
In thailand, the art of tattooing prayers to the body does not belong to Buddhism, but rather to thailand's native beliefs that have somehow merged with Buddhism along the way. Some of these tattoos may be about Buddhist sutras, but others are actually contracts that tie this person to an animal spirit that will protect this person as long as the 'contract' still stands.