Author Topic: Anyone here could help me clarify this???  (Read 14658 times)

lonewolf45

Anyone here could help me clarify this???
« on: April 08, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
I found a lots of different Spellings & Pronunciations of Dorje Shugden's Mantras....
Mostly like: OM BENZA BIKI BITRANA SOHA or OM BENZA WIKI WITRANA SOHA or OM VAJRA VIKI VITANA SVAHA
I found an Old Tibetan Prayer Scripts of Dorje Shugden...The Mantra is quite different spelling here

OM MAHARAJA VAJRA VIGI VIKRANTA SVAHA(I searched this VIKRANTA in Hindi, That means ---> POWERFUL).
Actually, I doubted about the spelling of BITRANA/WITRANA/VITANA........( =_='')

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
Re: Anyone here could help me clarify this???
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 04:59:46 PM »
This has been addressed in a past post already. But here it is again:

Om Benza Wiki Bitana Soha is the pronounciation of Kyabje Zong Rinpoche

Om Benza Wiki Witrana Soha is the pronounciation of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche

Both are ok and both are permissable. No difference in either one. Shugden has many mantras and many variations also. You can see on the homepage of this website for more mantras.

I hope this benefits you.

TK
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:04:14 PM by Mana »

Helena

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 05:03:42 PM »
I never knew that. Thanks, TK.

How precious to know that the great Masters themselves have given these mantras to all their students.

My Guru always say that the Buddhas will never be angry if we pronounce the mantras wrongly. From the Buddha's side, they understand what we are trying to say or chant. It is more important to chant and pray with faith.
Helena

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »
i also heard that the different spellings and pronunciations just depends on the different lineages you receive the transmission from and that there's no right or wrong as long as the transmission comes from an authentic teacher. The power of the mantra is multiplied by the blessings of the lineage Masters.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorje_Shugden, Dorje Shugden has two mantras:

OM VAJRA WIKI WITRANA SOHA and OM DHARMAPALA MAHA RANDZA BENDZA BEGAWAN RUDRA PENJA KULA SARWA SHA TRUM MARAYA HUM PHAT.

In the long mantra, OM DHARMAPALA MAHA RANDZA refers to Dorje Shugden's name: DHARMAPALA means "Dharma Protector," and MAHA RANDZA means "Great King." BENDZA BEGAWAN RUDRA means "Dorje Shugden," and PENJA KULA SARWA SHA TRUM MARAYA HUM PHAT means “Please grant me attainments.”

In OM VAJRA WIKI WITRANA SOHA, OM refers to the outer aspect of Dorje Shugden, which is his wearing ordained robes and so on and is temporary. One function of OM is also calling Dorje Shugden “O, Dorje Shugden”. VAJRA refers to the real nature of Dorje Shugdan. The meaning of VAJRA is the union of the great bliss and emptiness of Je Tsongkhapa and of all Buddhas. Je Tsongkhapa’s realization of the union of great bliss and emptiness appears in the aspect of Dorje Shugdan. The five Sanskrit letters WIKI WITRANA symbolize the five attainments: pacifying, increasing, controlling, wrathful and supreme. SOHA means "Please bestow."

The whole mantra therefore means: “O Dorje Shugdan, please bestow the pacifying, increasing, controlling, wrathful, and supreme attainments.

Hope that helps.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

triesa

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »

The whole mantra therefore means: “O Dorje Shugdan, please bestow the pacifying, increasing, controlling, wrathful, and supreme attainments.

Thanks WB for such a detailed explanation of the mantra. Many a times we chant the mantra without really knowing what it means. The main mantra consists of the 5 aspects of Dorje Shugden according to the 5 emanations......pacifying, increasing, controlling, wrathful and supreme attainments.

By the way, I found an older thread that was posted by TK and Big Uncle in
 http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=949.0

There are more specific mantras according to the 5 forms for specific need, hope it helps.

OM BENZA WIKI BITANA SHANTI SIDDHI HUNG
(Gaining attaimnents through the energy of peaceful Shugden, peace of environment & mind. Harmony in one's abode/dwelling area. Calming of disasters.)

OM BENZA WIKI BITANA  AYU SIDDHI HUNG
(Long life/increasing life & healing of disease/protection from diseases)

Ratna Shugden:-

OM BENZA WIKI BITANA  PUNYE SIDDHI HUNG
( Gaining great merits and increase of all necessary needs both material and spiritual)

Padma Shugden:-

OM BENZA WIKI BITANA  WASHAM KURU HO
(Control of  wordly deities, negative people, naga and influencing friends towards the positive)

Karma Shugden:-

OM BENZA WIKI BITANA  SHATROO MARAYA PET
(Destruction of obstacles and inner/outer 'enemies')

beggar

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:16:05 PM »
I had always thought that the long mantra OM DHARMAPALA MAHA RANDZA BENDZA BEGAWAN RUDRA PENJA KULA SARWA SHA TRUM MARAYA HUM PHAT was to the entourage, and not specifically to DS himself.

Can someone also clarify this please? If this mantra is to DS, then is there a mantra for the entourage and what is it?

Barzin

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »
HI beggar:

I am also learn that the long mantra OM DHARMAPALA MAHA RANDZA BENDZA BEGAWAN RUDRA PENJA KULA SARWA SHA TRUM MARAYA HUM PHAT is to the entourage...  If this is not, does it mean it is ok to recite either the short or long will do? 

Thankyou Triesa for posting such detailed explantion.  if we were to recite the mantra, do we do all five?  or just select any one will do?  Or the short mantra of Shugden Om Benza Wiki Bitrana Soha is equivalent to all Five?

Barzin

lonewolf45

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:44:11 AM »
Thanks all Guys & Gals here ;)
I certainly & positively sure know about the Lineage Transmission from Gurus, & I didn't doubt about them, I just doubted the spelling & Pronunciation....
Though there's a lot variations of DS Mantras, but those are just categorized as different functions & applications of mantras,
What I found that mantra was in Old Scriptures....& I think  BITANA/BITRANA/WITANA/WITRANA is INCORRECT SPELLING....they must be VIKRANTA...... :-X

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 03:43:55 PM »
HI beggar:

I am also learn that the long mantra OM DHARMAPALA MAHA RANDZA BENDZA BEGAWAN RUDRA PENJA KULA SARWA SHA TRUM MARAYA HUM PHAT is to the entourage...  If this is not, does it mean it is ok to recite either the short or long will do? 

Hey Barzin,

Dorje Shugden has two mantras: OM VAJRA WIKI WITRANA SOHA and OM DHARMAPALA MAHA RANDZA BENDZA BEGAWAN RUDRA PENJA KULA SARWA SHA TRUM MARAYA HUM PHAT.

In my opinion, and do correct me if I'm wrong, it's like how for Manjushri there are two mantras too: OM AH RA BA ZA NA DI and MIGTZEMA .

Both are essentially the same, but for the differences, do read what WisdomBeing has written. Very clear explanation.

Thankyou Triesa for posting such detailed explantion.  if we were to recite the mantra, do we do all five?  or just select any one will do?  Or the short mantra of Shugden Om Benza Wiki Bitrana Soha is equivalent to all Five?

Barzin

For this, I think that by reciting the specific mantra of say, Ratna Shugden, you directly call on Ratna Shugden (manifestation of the increasing form) . So, for example, if your mother has a deadly disease you would recite "OM BENZA WIKI BITANA  AYU SIDDHI HUNG" (Long life/increasing life & healing of disease/protection from diseases). 

Just like how if you had cancer, you wouldn't go to a family doctor, you would go to an oncologist.

This is my take, again do correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:35:29 PM by DSFriend »

triesa

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 05:24:50 PM »

Barzin

For this, I think that by reciting the specific mantra of say, Ratna Shugden, you directly call on Ratna Shugden (manifestation of the increasing form) . So, for example, if your mother has a deadly disease you would recite "OM BENZA WIKI BITANA  AYU SIDDHI HUNG" (Long life/increasing life & healing of disease/protection from diseases). 

Just like how if you had cancer, you wouldn't go to a family doctor, you would go to an oncologist.

This is my take, again do correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, I am along the same line with Jessicajameson. Without any specific circumstances, daily recitation of the main mantra is directing the energy of all the 5 forms. However, if you or your family is faced with a disease or a life threatening illness, then it is much effective to do the specific mantra for long life/increasing life.

Big Uncle

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »
There is a story of mantras that I once heard and it goes something like this...

"An old woman in ancient times was very poor and could barely make a living. However, a kind Lama taught her a special practice, a mantra to recite and instructed her to recite this mantra to convert stone into bread. She practiced it sincerely day and night for a long time until she was able to turn stones into bread. Therefore, she managed to eat a decent meal out of the bread. All was well until her son, who return from the monastery had heard her mother recite the mantra. He told her that the mantra was wrong and taught her the right mantra. Ever since, she lost her ability to turn stone into bread."

So what's the moral of this story?

There's no right or wrong pronunciation of mantras because they work based on samaya with the Lama who passed the mantra down to us either through an oral transmission or an initiation. Therefore, we should recite the mantras that were passed down to us from the Lama or through the source we have received it from. The blessings flow from the lineage of the samaya.

beggar

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 07:15:53 PM »
Big Uncle - great story, such a beautiful example of devotion to our teachers and faith in the lineage. Thank you! Most important is our motivation and the heart wish to connect to the Three Jewels.

there is a similar story. I cannot remember exactly the details, but it is of a practitioner who was given a dog's tooth and told that it was a buddha relic. He believed totally that it really was the Buddha's relic and it was explained at a later time that because of his faith, he did receive the blessings of the Buddha directly through his reverence and worship of the "relic."

So the element of sincere faith is very important for taking us far in our practice.

Damian.D

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 11:19:34 PM »

There's no right or wrong pronunciation of mantras because they work based on samaya with the Lama who passed the mantra down to us either through an oral transmission or an initiation. Therefore, we should recite the mantras that were passed down to us from the Lama or through the source we have received it from. The blessings flow from the lineage of the samaya.

I see, so as long we are sincere then the results will come. just like the tooth relic story above. So you would recommend I find myself a Guru so I can be sure I will get results from my pracitce?

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 08:59:24 PM »

I see, so as long we are sincere then the results will come. just like the tooth relic story above. So you would recommend I find myself a Guru so I can be sure I will get results from my pracitce?

Not too sure about Big Uncle's reply to this, but I would recommend that you do seek for a guru.

For me, without a guru I really wouldn't know where to start with my Dharma practice. I wouldn't know what practice would best suit me...... I may have strong connections with a certain practice based on my previous life. I wouldn't know if I'm going astray from my spiritual path either.

There are so many things that, due to my ignorance, laziness, and obscuration, I wouldn't know what I'm doing wrong.

Just like if I was to learn golf, I could hit the ball as many times as I want and let the ball fly in different directions. Unless I had a teacher who is watching me hit the ball, I wouldn't know what I'm doing wrong. He might see that the elbow should be lifted a little higher, or that a my follow-through isn't long enough.

Same with a teacher, he/she will be able to determine things that we ourselves can't. Not because they are on a big, white cloud, but because he/she have been on the spiritual path longer than we have. They have more knowledge and experience.

Of course, this is just on a very basic level. We're not even touching on their attainments, empowerment's etc

In this note, we should always respect all teachers... even if they are not "suited" for us.

Damian, to ensure that you gain results from your practice, I do recommend that you find a guru. :)