Author Topic: The Dalai Lama Resigns from Political Role  (Read 26247 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: The Dalai Lama Resigns from Political Role
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
I think that regardless whether the Dalai Lama retains political power or not, he will still wave the anti-Shugden flag. in fact, as a "purely" spiritual head, his popularity might increase. I am curious what is the Dalai Lama's strategy with regard to Shugden as his current position evolves... perhaps he will turn on the heat on Shugden practitioners in an attempt to unite the Tibetans in exile during this period of transition, though all accusations against Shugden practitioners are already quite stale and with absolutely no basis.

Let's see what happens.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

beggar

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 06:20:02 PM »
There's a good point made earlier in this thread about how the TGIE will now really have to assess themselves, look at what needs to be done - medical welfare, education, their political standing with the world, etc. It is actually extremely kind of the Dalai Lama to begin this process of resigning, even if it is just verbal or for outward appearances for now. If nothing else, it will show Tibetans themselves how little people actually respect the TGIE. Right now, they "respect" their government only because it is headed by their spiritual head, the Dalai Lama, who all Tibetans have tremendous respect and love for. What they actually think about the TGIE may be quite a different story. As it is, a lot of youth are not listening to the TGIE anymore, a significant proportion of Tiibetans don't even live within the jurisdiction of this so-called exiled "government" . Many have migrated to countries all over Europe or to America.

Less and less will people listen to the TGIE and with that, less and less will also listen to their adamant edicts and suppression against dorje shugden practitioners. People (Tibetan and non-Tibetan) are going to start finding out for themselves, doing their own research and discover their own knowledge. People are so much more exposed and educated these days - there is a world outside the TGIE's Kalon Tripa! Soon, I think, silly edicts like enforcing this ban on Dorje Shugden this will have no more effect on the average Tibetan. They will all begin to think for themselves... and the Dalai Lama begins this now as he "resigns".

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »
There's a good point made earlier in this thread about how the TGIE will now really have to assess themselves, look at what needs to be done - medical welfare, education, their political standing with the world, etc. It is actually extremely kind of the Dalai Lama to begin this process of resigning, even if it is just verbal or for outward appearances for now. If nothing else, it will show Tibetans themselves how little people actually respect the TGIE. Right now, they "respect" their government only because it is headed by their spiritual head, the Dalai Lama, who all Tibetans have tremendous respect and love for. What they actually think about the TGIE may be quite a different story. As it is, a lot of youth are not listening to the TGIE anymore, a significant proportion of Tiibetans don't even live within the jurisdiction of this so-called exiled "government" . Many have migrated to countries all over Europe or to America.

Less and less will people listen to the TGIE and with that, less and less will also listen to their adamant edicts and suppression against dorje shugden practitioners. People (Tibetan and non-Tibetan) are going to start finding out for themselves, doing their own research and discover their own knowledge. People are so much more exposed and educated these days - there is a world outside the TGIE's Kalon Tripa! Soon, I think, silly edicts like enforcing this ban on Dorje Shugden this will have no more effect on the average Tibetan. They will all begin to think for themselves... and the Dalai Lama begins this now as he "resigns".

There are those out there who says that "Well, the TGIE is merely following what HHDL is saying....... and that they are acting in accordance with the anti-DS campaign". Do you guys agree?

DharmaDefender

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 05:13:17 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12735884

I liked reading this article from the Beeb. It points out what many critics are saying:

It is true that for China and for most of us, we will not see much difference in the short term if his plan goes ahead. The Dalai Lama has said that he will continue travelling around the world as a religious leader and will still speak on Tibetan issues, albeit in a personal capacity.

It also pointed out something which I had completely overlooked:

None of the candidates are monks or lamas, and it will be hard for any of them to maintain a unified community in exile. They will be unknown to Tibetans inside Tibet, whose connection is to the Dalai Lama.

How the TGIE hopes they will keep their countrymen together, when all they have done thus far is sow divisions, is totally beyond me.

And here comes karma...

thaimonk

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 06:15:42 PM »
Its confirmed, whats next... Tibetan Parliament accepts Dalai Lama decision The Tibetan parliament has decided to honour the Dalai Lama’s decision to retire. A three-member committee of Tibetan MPs, headed by outgoing Prime Minister Dr Samdhong Rimpoche, on Wednesday tabled a report in parliament providing suggestions for amending the Charter for Tibetans-in-Exile. The 10-page report was read out by Rimpoche. The changes which the committee has proposed include giving more powers to the Tibetan Supreme Justice Commission, Speaker and Deputy Speaker. Rimpoche said that though the committee, comprising Deputy Speaker Gary Dolma and another MP, has agreed to recommend the amendments, the MPs need to go to the people and create a consensus since Tibetans want the Dalai Lama to lead them. On March 10, the 75-year-old Nobel prize winner had announced his decision to quit as the political head of the Tibetan government-in-exile.

from Danielle on Guestbook

thaimonk

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 11:25:50 AM »
It is truly good news Dalai Lama will withdraw from politics. It couldn't get any worse than now I figure with new leadership coming in. Some of the policies of Dalai Lama like many leaders around the world make a sector in their society suffer. Everything is endurable, but not religious/spiritual persecution. When you take people's spirituality away they are just a shell of a person. A shell of a person eating, sleeping, making money, playing, procreating, aging and death. No meaning, no substance, no real end nor real purpose. Any democratic ruler, leader or govt body should allow full religious freedom to choose their path without interference from the authorities whatsoever. Healthier that way and for long term cohesion of a pluralistic society.

The Dalai Lama will need face and he cannot withdraw his ban on Dorje Shugden, but if the new Tibetan leaders officially and repeated ask him to lift the ban there would be a good chance he would. If they actually begged, he might say well since you all choose this, go ahead. You never know. Even the Dalai Lama's authority needs face.

So if the new govt for societal cohesion purposes decide to work toward lifting the ban, it is a great possibility it could be lifted. After all in Europe of the past, the popes were very powerful, till secular elected govts took over each European country one by one and announced freedom of religious choice. You do not have to be a Catholic as the pope had deemed. For hundreds of years in some European countries to be a non Catholic was to be assured a place in hell as you were a herectic. We wouldn't believe that now.

The ban has to lift or has to just fade. The new leadership will be hope toward that goal.

Thaimonk

Helena

• Email
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 04:54:47 PM »
I like what you have written here, Thai Monk.

It makes a lot of sense and is very logical.

What I especially identify with is this -

When you take people's spirituality away they are just a shell of a person. A shell of a person eating, sleeping, making money, playing, procreating, aging and death. No meaning, no substance, no real end nor real purpose.[/color

To me, the whole drama and struggle about the ban has led to me to this very question - what are we without spirituality?

The dilemma to practice real spirituality or to just be part of a flock of sheep to just follow without thinking deeper.

Our source of life is spirituality and that came from our Gurus. Not some government in exile or in existence, and certainly, not some famous leader (although I do respect what the famous leader has done).

The ban has opened up my mind to reflect on many things. One in particular is what is truly important to me - beyond life and death.

And I must say, this website truly helped me a great deal - all the information posted here and all the sharing of different perspectives in the Forum - my mind really woke up to see the bigger picture of things.

At the end of the day, no one can take away our spirituality - not if we do not allow it and certainly, not without our consent.

Having said all that, I would be very grateful and happy when the ban is lifted and I do sincerely look forward to that day.

By then, we can stand with every Dharma brother and sister and they need not fear us or dislike us. It is more for them. They would need Dorje Shugden more than ever. And it would be good for them to be able to open themselves to this wonderful Protector for Dorje Shugden can truly bring them much peace and happiness, as HE has done for me.

May the ban be gone soon.
Helena

Mana

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 06:50:05 AM »
China will be the head of the New World Order. China will control the world economy, trends and directions. They are too big, too resoureful and to powerful to ignore. The West will do well by showing deference to China. If the Dalai Lama was asking for a last shot to help his ppl in Tibet before he dies, he should appeal to China directly and visit their leadership directly in Beijing. Make friends with them, then from this friendship, visit Tibet and ask Tibetans to cooperate with China as his last wish.Then after his death there will be less bloodshed. Dalai Lama making friends with Western countries is a waste of time and has gotten him nowhere after 50 years. What can the West do? Nothing. China must be respected. The West is facinated with Dalai Lama, but not to the point of forgetting their individual National economic welfare. Dalai Lama should make friends with Beijing as his last hope shot.

Mana

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 07:07:32 AM »
The majority will support the Dalai Lama and the ones who do not will be silenced or ostracized. The tactic of Tibetan govt is to silence and ostracize the detractors.They have never been democratic but authocratic even till now. Either way the Tibetans will remain silent and not speak against the Dalai Lama because he is their only hope and the face of the Tibetan struggle. The Dalai Lama's govt effectively made sure no one else can ever take the place of the Dalai Lama as sovereign ruler of Tibet for hundreds of years. To think otherwise would have been treason. So this new devolving of power from Dalai Lama to 'elected' prime minister will be interesting to say the least.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »
There are those out there who says that "Well, the TGIE is merely following what HHDL is saying....... and that they are acting in accordance with the anti-DS campaign". Do you guys agree?

No because Buddhism never teaches you to follow like a sheep. Buddha never said we cannot investigate or check stuff out...if we cannot investigate and contemplate, what is meditation all about then? Buddha never wanted to create mindless followers, but people who achieve their mental and spiritual potential.

So the Dalai Lama might say something, but it doesn't mean that those in the TGIE are not free to disagree. It doesn't mean that those in the TGIE are not free to speak up. So therefore the enforcement of the ban was THEIR choice, not His Holiness the Dalai Lama's choice.

Just remember Nuremberg - ignorance of the law is not a defence. Saying that you acted under the instructions of your superior or those in authority is not a recognised form of defence.

If you throw a rock at someone, it was YOU who threw the rock, not the man above you who asked you to throw a rock. So the karma is the TGIE's to face, they need to start taking responsibility just like how His Holiness the Dalai Lama does (http://isikkim.com/14-dalai-lama-cedes-power-but-not-responsibility-71/).

Helena

• Email
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 04:41:18 PM »
Dharma Defender,

What you are saying suggests - that an order or request can be issued, but how this is carried out is up to the people in the execution 'department'. So, although HHDL says stop the practice or ban Dorje Shugden, how this is carried is determined by the TGIE. Therefore, TGIE had different options to exercise what HHDL had declared. TGIE could have carried it out in more 'diplomatic' or compassionate manner rather than prosecute, ostracize and divide the whole Tibetan community.

Along the same lines, this reminds me of what Jangtze Monastery's Abbot did to Gyume Kensur Rinpoche (Gongpo Khamtsen Geshe Chatee). Just because HHDL made a comment, the Abbot reacted in such a drastic manner, expelling his own Guru from Gaden Jangtze.

Although we can say that everyone is practically living in fear during this time and they just do not want to upset HHDL, they could still choose a more lenient or compassionate method.

From the Western perspective, this is what I am inclined to think. That we always have a choice on how we want or should carry out something. We can choose a harsh way that causes a lot of grief and suffering to others OR we can choose a less painful way for all, and still get the job done.

Do you seriously think it is possible, for Tibetans living in this climate of fear and confusion?
Helena

DSFriend

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 07:18:51 PM »
The pattern of how people react to the ban is quite similar throughout the world....perhaps just like what Helena mentioned that it is due to fear.

Why are we persecuting our own dharma brothers and sisters?

Is it justifiable to persecute each other thinking that this is a "holy war"?

What is so "holy" about hurting others, depriving rights of others?

How do we reconcile hurting others yet, pray each day to liberate all sentient beings from sufferings?!

Helena

• Email
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 07:37:35 PM »
DS Friend,

The more I read on the Tibetans In Exile, the more I see that the Tibetans In Exile seem to be living in resignation. What I mean by this is - they seem to have resigned from all their desire or ability to think for themselves and have surrendered these to HHDL. In this act alone, they do not realise that they are actually placing more burden onto one person to think for them and decide for them. Therefore, they no longer think for themselves, let alone assess a situation to arrive to the best or most beneficial decision or method to manage any difficulties/challenges.

Living in fear is one thing, but not thinking or not wanting to think for oneself is another.

I feel that the Tibetans in Exile are caught up in both as one compounds the other, and vice versa.

Helena

DharmaDefender

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 05:19:04 PM »
Dharma Defender,

What you are saying suggests - that an order or request can be issued, but how this is carried out is up to the people in the execution 'department'. So, although HHDL says stop the practice or ban Dorje Shugden, how this is carried is determined by the TGIE. Therefore, TGIE had different options to exercise what HHDL had declared. TGIE could have carried it out in more 'diplomatic' or compassionate manner rather than prosecute, ostracize and divide the whole Tibetan community.

Along the same lines, this reminds me of what Jangtze Monastery's Abbot did to Gyume Kensur Rinpoche (Gongpo Khamtsen Geshe Chatee). Just because HHDL made a comment, the Abbot reacted in such a drastic manner, expelling his own Guru from Gaden Jangtze.

Although we can say that everyone is practically living in fear during this time and they just do not want to upset HHDL, they could still choose a more lenient or compassionate method.

From the Western perspective, this is what I am inclined to think. That we always have a choice on how we want or should carry out something. We can choose a harsh way that causes a lot of grief and suffering to others OR we can choose a less painful way for all, and still get the job done.

Do you seriously think it is possible, for Tibetans living in this climate of fear and confusion?

Absolutely what I meant...thank you HS, for lending an air of eloquence to my muddled speech!

Of course it is possible. Again, harking back to WW2, there are so many stories of heroic people sheltering Jews at the risk of their own lives..Schindler anyone?

How do we reconcile hurting others yet, pray each day to liberate all sentient beings from sufferings?!

Anger is blinding, so hypocrisy is a funny thing. I just feel sorry for His Holiness the Dalai Lama to have such followers, because they really bring shame to their Guru by dragging him down with their actions.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 06:23:24 PM »
Good points you raised, Dharma Defender. Thank you.

If only there were more courageous Tibetan heroes who would stand up and uphold compassion not just for themselves but more importantly, for those who are being prosecuted. Isn't that what Dharma is all about? Caring for others as self, not seeing the difference between self and others?

I especially liked what you wrote about anger and hypocrisy.

Anger is truly blinding and makes us lose all control. While being a hypocrite allows us to continue lying to ourselves, justifying how much we are right and others are wrong.

Sadly, many people do not even see how their own behaviour actually brings down their Guru or smear their spiritual organization's great name.
Helena