Author Topic: How Does A Dharma Protector Assist?  (Read 16770 times)

Big Uncle

How Does A Dharma Protector Assist?
« on: December 04, 2010, 09:02:14 PM »
I know the Buddha cannot change or affect our karma so how does a Dharma Protector like Dorje Shugden help us in a time of need? When we are in the deepest sinkhole, how does Dorje Shugden come to our assistance?

hope rainbow

Re: How Does A Dharma Protector Assist?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 05:00:12 PM »
How?
Maybe not in the way we expect, and most likely not in the way we expect if our expectations are short-sighted.
When I look back at my life, and even beyond the point in time when I started recognizing spirituality in it, I see the pattern of the Dharma Protector.
This "pattern", however, is not always recognizable in the moment and we may be experiencing something rather "un-pleasant" at first but beneficial to our spiritual practice at a later stage or even much further later stage.
So I ask myself, how can I be sure that what I am going through is going to help me later? The answer is very simple: FAITH.
And the testing times are the gage of our faith.

Zach

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
I know the Buddha cannot change or affect our karma so how does a Dharma Protector like Dorje Shugden help us in a time of need? When we are in the deepest sinkhole, how does Dorje Shugden come to our assistance?

On the contray they can effect our karma, well its just like dragging someone out of the mud really one cannot pull another on their own if they are unwilling and in this case when the causes and conditions come together our karma will change, There have been times I have relied upon the 3 jewels and our Dharmapala when in great danger or great need and have received care and protection like that provided by a Mother and father to their children.

The great thing that brings tears to my eyes is they are around whenever needed, the enlightened body/mind arrives at the speed of thought, If the karma has not ripened with blessing they can create the causes within our own mental continuum to temporarily nulify its arising...Buddha said he could not take away our suffering like a splinter from flesh but being the skilled doctor he is he would give us the medicine that would temporarily take away our pain, The splinter is for us to pull.

Our connection with the Dharmapala is very strong now many millions of people know of this once obscure Dharmapala. Their function is to protect our practise and provide us with good causes and conditions so that we may accomplish the end goal, Surely the arising of such a being with such a motivation indicates the very nature and is a sign of the immense power. Our skilled Geshe's have relied upon our Dharmapala and what more do we need to say about Shri Dorje shugdens effectiveness at protecting and spreading Je Tsongkhapas tradition when we have living examples and accounts of his power. The pain of that splinter becomes weaker and weaker dear friend with sincere reliance the situations will definitly come to us that we may finally once and for all take the tools and remove it.

It is my suspcion that even if one where to rely upon the Dharmapala alone he would create the causes for one to find, enter and accomplish the path.

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 08:30:30 PM »
Thank you Hope & Zach.
I have always wondered about this and so I am asking it here since there is a platform for this. I personally think Dharma Protectors can't change our karma but they can be a powerful environmental cause for it to change. It is because Dorje Shugden is in a worldly form with an enlightened mind, his powers to affect us is much greater than all the other Dharma Protectors.
What I really think is that during dire situations when we are in danger, he comes to our aid real fast by delaying the ripening of our karma or he diverts the full force of the karma. Ultimately, we have to face our own karma but with Dorje Shugden, there is a huge difference. If we are really devoted to him, we can even purify our karma before it ripens upon us fully. That is all my own little logic i had developed about how Dharma Protectors really assists us.

WoselTenzin

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 10:10:01 AM »

The main function of an enlightened Dharma protector is to arrange the most conducive conditions for the success of our Dharma practice.  Of course, an enlightened  Dharma Protector can come to our aid in times of need or when we are in desperate situations but I think that is only to help us solve our immediate problems so that we are able to continue with our spiritual journey.

It is true that even an enlightened being cannot change our karma but what I believe they can do is to create necessary conditions for our mind transformation. In this way, we can purify our past negative karma,  gain realizations and do not further perpetuate our negativities.  However, something to take note here is that the conditions an enlightened protector arranges for us is what we need, which may not necessarily be what we are comfortable with.

For eg, sometimes after beginning to propitiate an enlightened Dharma protector, we encounter many obstacles.  Nobody likes obstacles in their lives.  However, if we see it at a deeper level,  perhaps, these obstacles are necessary for us to gain certain realizations like impermanence and the inevitability of sufferings in samsara which will propel us to have the wish to gain some sort of liberation from samsara to begin with and from there our practice can progress.

Therefore, it is important that we understand who our Dharma protector is, what his functions are and have complete faith in him.  Otherwise, we will have a high likelihood of abandoning his practice when we encounter obstacles because we do not understand what his practice entails.

Barzin

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »
Perhaps many had discussed this already but i would like to know.  Because I found this protector Dorje Shugden through the net, over the controversial issue that led me to this site.  And I strongly believe the protector is more than what we see and thought.   Therefore I would like to know, is it possible to practice the protector's practice with a guru?  or even a guru's initiation?  Because the ban is still on, many can not even talk let alone to practice.  Therefore, I can't run around looking and talking about Shuden practice... 

On the contrary, here we are in this beautiful site, providing such powerful updates with materials so easily access to all of us around the world.  May Dorje Shugden grows and benefit many many more people.

Positive Change

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 01:58:16 PM »
The main function of an enlightened Dharma protector is to arrange the most conducive conditions for the success of our Dharma practice.  Of course, an enlightened  Dharma Protector can come to our aid in times of need or when we are in desperate situations but I think that is only to help us solve our immediate problems so that we are able to continue with our spiritual journey.

It is true that even an enlightened being cannot change our karma but what I believe they can do is to create necessary conditions for our mind transformation. In this way, we can purify our past negative karma,  gain realizations and do not further perpetuate our negativities.  However, something to take note here is that the conditions an enlightened protector arranges for us is what we need, which may not necessarily be what we are comfortable with.

For eg, sometimes after beginning to propitiate an enlightened Dharma protector, we encounter many obstacles.  Nobody likes obstacles in their lives.  However, if we see it at a deeper level,  perhaps, these obstacles are necessary for us to gain certain realizations like impermanence and the inevitability of sufferings in samsara which will propel us to have the wish to gain some sort of liberation from samsara to begin with and from there our practice can progress.

Therefore, it is important that we understand who our Dharma protector is, what his functions are and have complete faith in him.  Otherwise, we will have a high likelihood of abandoning his practice when we encounter obstacles because we do not understand what his practice entails.

I have often wondered this very question since literally stumbling onto Dharma. What feels like a chance encounter probably is anything but as I have come to learn from my relatively short journey of discovery. The above post by WoselTenzin makes it a lot clearer as to how an enlightened Dharma protector assists us. Often it is not how we perceive such help should be as we are after all the creators of our problems in the first place and have no clue what is really going to help us or we would not be in that predicament to begin with. It is all very logical.

I recall first starting my spiritual journey and 'finding' our Dharma Protector thinking "great everything is going to be smooth from hereon!" Boy was i in for a rude awakening... in a good way though as I soon come to terms with my attachments and the like. What is interesting to note is given what I know now and putting myself back to where I was with a similar situation, I would be devastated... but standing where I am now there seems to be a strange calmness but also a sense of wanting to know what is next... almost fit like! Strange how these two seemingly opposing energies can coexist... nice kind of weird! :)

triesa

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 01:23:21 PM »

I have often wondered this very question since literally stumbling onto Dharma. What feels like a chance encounter probably is anything but as I have come to learn from my relatively short journey of discovery. The above post by WoselTenzin makes it a lot clearer as to how an enlightened Dharma protector assists us. Often it is not how we perceive such help should be as we are after all the creators of our problems in the first place and have no clue what is really going to help us or we would not be in that predicament to begin with. It is all very logical.

I recall first starting my spiritual journey and 'finding' our Dharma Protector thinking "great everything is going to be smooth from hereon!" Boy was i in for a rude awakening... in a good way though as I soon come to terms with my attachments and the like. What is interesting to note is given what I know now and putting myself back to where I was with a similar situation, I would be devastated... but standing where I am now there seems to be a strange calmness but also a sense of wanting to know what is next... almost fit like! Strange how these two seemingly opposing energies can coexist... nice kind of weird! :)

My two opposing energies are that on one hand, I fully trust that Dorje Shugden will do everything in my best interests for my  spiritual journey, and on the other hand is when obstacles arise out of my prediction. Like what Positive Change has mentioned, these two opposing energies are co-existing....somehome in an equalibrium....and I am more intuned to both energies and without fighting to anyone of them.

dsiluvu

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 08:12:54 PM »
What I really think is that during dire situations when we are in danger, he comes to our aid real fast by delaying the ripening of our karma or he diverts the full force of the karma. Ultimately, we have to face our own karma but with Dorje Shugden, there is a huge difference. If we are really devoted to him, we can even purify our karma before it ripens upon us fully. That is all my own little logic i had developed about how Dharma Protectors really assists us.

This is probably exactly why Dorje Shugden is so extremely effective during this degenerate time and how fortunate it is for us to come to know, hear and do his practice! I myself can attest to the change/diversion of  my karma which I can imagine would be an experience that is far more worst. You still experience your negative karma, the pain, but protector helps in a sense where the effects of it is not as great. Like instead of me dying in a car accident, I just totally crashed my car but came out of it unscratched. The fear, the pain, the trauma is still being experienced, but the end result is you are still ok, you still have a second chance in life. This you can often experience after a "retreat" you have done. Lama use to say it is very good! Because protector helped you to manifest you negative karma now, instead of you having to experience it later in full force, so you should rejoice! So to return the kindness of our Lama and protector, we should do more Dharma and engage in Dharma practice more seriously. That is why protector save us and gave us that second chance to collect more merits.

Even for protector to be able to help us pull through any bad situation, we also need merits to support him helping us. So the answer is also to do more Dharma and collect your merit points :) This goes to show that our protector is not just there in time of urgent need, he is there to see us through our long term goal....Enlightenment!

dsiluvu

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »
Perhaps many had discussed this already but i would like to know.  Because I found this protector Dorje Shugden through the net, over the controversial issue that led me to this site.  And I strongly believe the protector is more than what we see and thought.   Therefore I would like to know, is it possible to practice the protector's practice with a guru?  or even a guru's initiation?  Because the ban is still on, many can not even talk let alone to practice.  Therefore, I can't run around looking and talking about Shuden practice... 

Hi Barzin, I'm not quite sure what exactly is your question...you mean is it possible to seek out a Guru that does Dorje Shugden or ask a Guru for Dorje Shugden's initiation? If that is your question then the answer is yes of course it is possible to practice with a Guru who does Dorje Shugden... there are so many who does it very openly, check out this page http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?page_id=37 and there is Shar Gaden too :)  As for initiation of Dorje Shugden, I think once you have found your Guru and taken refuge, I believe you can request your Guru for DS practice. Whether or not your Guru thinks you are qualified and ready is up to your Guru. Don't expect a Yes from your Guru just cause you requested. Question is...have you found a Guru yet or are you still searching?

thor

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 06:11:36 AM »

Big Uncle, I have also heard that Dorje Shugden brings forward the ripening of our karmas, so that we will experience them faster before they multiply even worse. By hastening the ripening of our karma while we are in a state to practice Dharma, it would also mean that we can go through the negative situation with Dharma knowledge so that we do not create even more negative karma by our thoughts and actions. Thus we properly purify our negative karma, without the accumulation of further negative karma. Does this make sense?

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 03:22:49 AM »
How Does A Dharma Protector Assist?

I think a Dharma Protector assists us by removing some of our self-created obstacles. If we had done the purifying practice and collect merit, some bigger obstacles may also be removed. A Dharma Protector also provides us with the basic necessities and sustenance so we can continue with our spiritual practice.

Ever since I started to propitiate Dorje Shugden, my life has since turned for the better. My mind is clearer and stays focused, I think twice before doing any negative actions, I put in more effort in my work and spiritual practice, etc.

pgdharma

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 05:57:24 AM »
Yes it is true that the Dharma Protector cannot change our karma. In my opinion, I think He will assist us to experience  a lesser impact when our negative karma arises. However, we must have faith and trust in Dorje Shugden and have enough merits for Him to help us, thus it so important that we put in more effort  in dharma  practices. By transforming ourselves and engaging in dharma  practices with  the right motivation and intent will create the cause for Dorje Shugden to help and guide us.

Rihanna

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 02:48:45 AM »
I know the Buddha cannot change or affect our karma so how does a Dharma Protector like Dorje Shugden help us in a time of need?

Dear WoselTenzin, I agree with what you wrote. However, the word 'conducive' is often misinterpreted as 'everything good and easy and as how we expect it to be'. An enlightened Dharma Protector works depending on one's merit. As emanation of a Buddha/Boddhisattva, their main function is to avert inner and outer obstacles that prevent practitioners from achieving spiritual realizations and to arrange all the necessary conditions for one's practice. Some people may need to loose some material things in order for them to take their spiritual practice seriously; some may require that their secular lives is fine in order for them to be spiritual; with some they need to experience a big loss in order to do dharma practice. So an enlightened Dharma Protector uses his wisdom and clairvoyance to make all those conditions for one to do dharma practice. And to me, that is the biggest and best protection of all; so that it protects us from falling into the three lower realms.

When we are in the deepest sinkhole, how does Dorje Shugden come to our assistance?

biggyboy

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »

Oh Yes, Buddha can never change or affect our karma.  Good or bad karma is all in our hands!  We create them ourselves.  Dharma protector assists us by clearing obstacles to create the necessary conditions and necessities so that we can be on our spiritual path to practise.  In addition, for Dharma protector to continue to assist us we have faith and trust in him by transforming and putting sincere and fervent effort in our dharma practices.