Author Topic: How Does A Dharma Protector Assist?  (Read 16771 times)

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
Re: How Does A Dharma Protector Assist?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 04:28:13 AM »
Dharma protector assists us by clearing obstacles to create the necessary conditions and necessities so that we can be on our spiritual path to practise.  In addition, for Dharma protector to continue to assist us we have faith and trust in him by transforming and putting sincere and fervent effort in our dharma practices.

Below was what Gomo Tulku (yes, the recording artist Tulku, but this was spoken by his previous incarnation) said, which I think is very relevant to asking for assistance from Dharma protectors with reference to Dharma practice and mind training. 

In the past, holy beings made offerings to their Dharma protectors so as to receive help from them in their Dharma practice. Likewise, we must entrust the Dharma protectors to help us train in the mind of enlightenment by offerings tormas and making other offerings. While making such offerings, we should request their aid, saying, “Dharma protectors, help me to be able to transform all adverse conditions into the path to enlightenment, and bestow on me perfect conditions for my practice.”

However, Gomo Tulku also mentioned that some people also perform rituals and recite prayers to avoid experiencing problems, which he thought is an ‘illness’. This is because when we are practicing mind training, we should voluntarily take upon ourselves any suffering that occurs.  We should think like this instead: “In the past while practicing ‘taking and giving’, I made prayers to be able to take other beings’ sufferings upon myself and give my happiness to them. Now I am experiencing that very suffering.”

Tammy

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
Dear Big Uncle,

Your question is so basic, but I guess it is necessary because everyone needs to know the role dharma protectors play in our spiritual path - only with this knowledge and clear view, that we could benefit from praying to the protectors.

Actually the role of protectors can be found right in the centre part of this Homepage:

Protector:
Also known as Dharmapalas, are special beings that emanate to protect the authentic Dharma.

They do this by clearing obstacles and providing conducive conditions for Buddhist traditions to propagate and grow.

Some Dharmapalas are Buddhas and bodhisattvas appearing in worldly form, whilst others are spirits who have been subdued by compassionate lamas, and bound by vows to assist practitioners.

As emanations of Manjushri, protectors like Kalarupa and Dorje Shugden belong to the first class of Dharmapalas who are enlightened beings appearing in the guise of worldly protectors. Thus to invoke their blessings, is to invoke the assistance and blessings of an enlightened being.

Hence when we request for assistance, the motivation MUST be pure. For example if we request for wealth - the motivation should be to have our basic needs fulflled AND be able to support the work of spreading dharma and helping others. Only then our wish for wealth will be granted. And if we wanted wealth for our own enjoyment, it would not be fulfilled.
Down with the BAN!!!

brian

• Email
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »
Thank you Hope & Zach.
I have always wondered about this and so I am asking it here since there is a platform for this. I personally think Dharma Protectors can't change our karma but they can be a powerful environmental cause for it to change. It is because Dorje Shugden is in a worldly form with an enlightened mind, his powers to affect us is much greater than all the other Dharma Protectors.
What I really think is that during dire situations when we are in danger, he comes to our aid real fast by delaying the ripening of our karma or he diverts the full force of the karma. Ultimately, we have to face our own karma but with Dorje Shugden, there is a huge difference. If we are really devoted to him, we can even purify our karma before it ripens upon us fully. That is all my own little logic i had developed about how Dharma Protectors really assists us.

Wow this is breathtaking, thank you for sharing this. Yes, by just relying on Dorje Shugden and be devoted to Him alone we will be able to purify our negative karma that is ripening on us, fully. When we needed help, we should always seek help sincerely and be rest assured, Dorje Shugden will always come to help us if this is for the betterment of us and not the other way round. And foremost, the motivation must be pure of course.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »

In the past, holy beings made offerings to their Dharma protectors so as to receive help from them in their Dharma practice. Likewise, we must entrust the Dharma protectors to help us train in the mind of enlightenment by offerings tormas and making other offerings. While making such offerings, we should request their aid, saying, “Dharma protectors, help me to be able to transform all adverse conditions into the path to enlightenment, and bestow on me perfect conditions for my practice.”

This is what I felt that we should pray to the Dharma protector for. That is what I pray to my Dharma protector so that I may be able to be a sincere practitioner with results that my Guru can see and also to help me strengthen my Guru devotion, to help me hold my vows. Basically, everything Buddhist, and also at the same time may my samsaric problems not distract me from my Dharma works and may they not take time away from my Dharma practice. That is what I do pray for although when i was less matured i did wish for things like a partner to support me financially and emotionally when i needed it but i changed that since as i realize it is not worth it to have one as it will take away more time from the Dharma.

However, Gomo Tulku also mentioned that some people also perform rituals and recite prayers to avoid experiencing problems, which he thought is an ‘illness’. This is because when we are practicing mind training, we should voluntarily take upon ourselves any suffering that occurs.  We should think like this instead: “In the past while practicing ‘taking and giving’, I made prayers to be able to take other beings’ sufferings upon myself and give my happiness to them. Now I am experiencing that very suffering.”

Does that not contradict our Dharma practice? We practice Dharma to get rid or minimize our ego so that it does not harm others but benefit them instead and on this end we are praying so that we will be preserved and we will be protected! Interesting how our mind deceives itself. I was guilty of that too once as well, needless to say, but i am glad that my Dharma protector put me in situations where I had to re-evaluate myself and adjust my motivations repeatedly so that I can really advance in my Dharma practice, so that I can present to my Guru a transformed me as the best offering he can ever have and for that I need the Dharma protector's assistance.