Author Topic: News from Shar Gaden  (Read 139326 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: News from Shar Gaden
« Reply #330 on: September 15, 2011, 01:57:07 PM »
I would just like to share some information about the recently concluded exams at Serpom and Shar Gaden.

Here is a photo of the closing ceremony of the Geden Nyangu University Annual Examinations 2011 and a photo of their debate test. If you'd like to see the monks in action, you can watch this 1 minute youtube of the Debate test
Small | Large

Shar Gaden says that in the debate test, the participants have to keep calm and try to control their nervousness during the debate test, because they never know which lesson/subject will be allotted to them. Each participant must pick randomly a piece of paper on which a subject is written and then they have to debate on the highlighted subject.

I just thought it would be interesting for people to have more info on this because it shows that the scholastic pursuits of the monks are not compromised on; although they have left the mainstream monasteries, they are continuing with the traditions of study. For more information, I have included information extracted from Shar Gaden's website below (which i have taken the liberty of lightly editing to be more coherent).

I do have a question about the write up below - does it mean that Serpom or Shar Gaden Geshe Lharampas can go to Gyu toe or Gyu mey tantric colleges??

Appreciate any feedback!

http://shargadenpa.org/the-geluk-exam-2011

The Geluk Exam-2011

The Geluk Exam is widely perceived as the final stage of Buddhist study in a monastic community especially in terms of the Sutras. A monk  has to successfully pass his respected monastery’s local exam, where one must participate in all the related subjects from the colour class to the Vinaya class (either 1st year or 2nd year), in order to be fully eligible for the next level.

In Tibet, there was no particular exam tradition, instead there was the Geshe Debate Test that was conducted during the Lhasa Monlam Chenmo (The Great Prayer Festival) which is similar to the contemporary exam, except the philosophical writing test and grammatical discourse. The Geluk Exam was founded post-Tibetan Diaspora of 1959 and later at numerous occasions, several modification have been implemented in order to increase its scope.

The current general board of the Geluk Exam consists of the general supervisory staff from each of the monastic colleges; Shar Gaden and Serpom Monastery. Their responsibilities are to organise the schedule and also venue. These board members are appointed with the further consent and mutual agreement from both monastic colleges, with a consideration for the successful continuation of the tradition, that can be enjoyed by future generations.

Currently the exam is 4 years of course, and held once in a year on the Yarne season. In the earlier days, it used to be 6 years of course but later decreased 2 years in the wake of the bereft segregation in 2008, which also caused a sudden fall or deficiency in the quantity of the participants. But that’s not of major concern any more. A participant who manages to succeed consistently for these four years, will be conferred with a Geshe Lharampa Degree (Phd geshe). He then may spend a couple of years either in upper/lower Tantric University (gyu toe/gyu mey) for intensive tantric experimentation thereafter as per the Geluk tradition. But we prefer our own extraordinary Tradition.

This year’s Geluk Exam will be held at Shar Gaden with many participants from Serpom monastery. The event will be take place from 4th September to 17th September 2011. We wish all the participants a great success and may your wholesome deeds cause eternal tranquility amongst all beings.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Barzin

« Reply #331 on: September 15, 2011, 09:51:35 PM »
it is sad to see that the sangha community is divided  or being accused being of one practice.  Shar Gaden monks are very noble and set a great example of holding pure guru devotion.  I salute them a lot.  I can imagine what the Shar Gaden sangha community had to endure because of the ban.  Yet, they had so much faith in the protector and such pure guru devotion to continue what they have to do...  Wonderful.

Please support the monks.  May many more powerful dharma in the making flourish very soon!  :)

iloveds

• An Uncommon Protector Who Can Not Be Silenced
« Reply #332 on: September 18, 2011, 06:03:05 AM »
Can you imagine, getting to the end of your University studies and then to complete your degree it is 100% oral examination, no notes, or prompts. You will be asked a series of questions right from the beginning of your studies up until the end.

You are to debate with your peers in support of what you have learnt and against what you have learnt. Only then will your teachers decide whether you have passed or not.

I'm sure that most Universities would have a high fail rate, I know I would have struggled if it was like this in my degree. Imagine if you were getting a Masters degree, that means you would be asked questions from your first year studies.

tough man!

WisdomBeing

« Reply #333 on: September 18, 2011, 03:22:39 PM »
iloveds, since you mentioned fail rates at university, it made me think what was the fail rate at monasteries - does anyone know if they have to re-sit their exams if they fail? And do they have different grades eg First, Two One, Two Two etc, or just a pass or fail.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #334 on: September 21, 2011, 03:02:01 PM »
I found more information about the exams though not whether there are grades to the results. This article below is not from Shar Gaden but Drepung. I would presume that the system is the same throughout the monasteries. It's scary though that if students do not pass the exams on the first try after their sixth year, there is no chance to retake the exams - ever!

The Geshe Lharampa qualification is definitely not easy to obtain. Also it was reported that this year, of the 150 monks who joined the university, around 70-80 left. I wonder where the monks who don't make it go. Anyway, take a read and see what you think:

http://www.thetibetpost.com/en/news/exile/2021-2011-gelugpa-university-exams-conclude-at-drepung-loseling

2011 Gelugpa University Exams Conclude at Drepung Loseling

Mundgod, India: - The 2011 Gelugpa University exams are finishing this week at Drepung Loseling Monastery in Mundgod. This year, 602 monks are taking the exams, and there are 30 examination controllers.
Monks taking these exams have rigorously been studying a program of Buddhist philosophy and Buddhist history, as well as studying about the Tibetan government, His Holiness the Dalai Lama, and the Tibetan language. The program lasts six years, and monks can join only after they have studied at another monastic university for around 18 years.

After going through the six year program successfully, monks are awarded the Geshe Lharampa title, the highest academic title in Tibetan Buddhism.

The high-level Buddhist philosophy studied includes doctrines of emptiness, peaceful mind, the middle way, compassion, and right action. Students must study and memorize large ancient Buddhist texts as well as various commentaries and teachings on those texts. They are required to quote from the texts exactly in oral examinations and debates, as well as to precisely identify which text any particular passage is from.

Students who have completed their first and second year must take nine writing and five debate exams; those who have completed the third and fourth year must take five writing and five debate exams; and those who have finished their fifth and sixth year must take a long debate exam on the five measures of Buddhism.

Much pressure revolves around the exams; while they get second chances in their earlier years, if students do not pass the exams on the first try after their sixth year, there is no chance to retake the exam, and, explained the administrator of the Mundgod branch of Gelugpa University, the monk will not get the title of Geshe Lharampa in this lifetime. "It's our rule," he said, smiling.

Thus, monks began preparing for these exams in February, forming small study groups among themselves to practice debating and memorization. The program is extremely rigorous. This year, of the 150 monks who joined the university, around 70-80 left.

There are six monasteries of Gelugpa University; the three major ones are Drepung, Ganden, and Sera. The Drepung and Ganden Monasteries are located in Mundgod, and Sera is in the Bylakuppe settlement. They are all modeled after the original monasteries of the same names in Tibet, which were established in the fifteenth century and which underwent much damage during the Chinese invasion in 1959.

The administrator said that most monks studying at Gelugpa University come directly from Tibet; others come from Tibetan settlements in India, often from the Himalayan regions like Himachal and Ladakh. Yet others come from Nepal, Mongolia and Taiwan to study.

After graduating and receiving their Geshe Lharampa title, some monks continue to live in the settlement, teaching the new monks, some return to their homes, some join the university administration, some work as translators, some move to foreign countries, and some go to the wilderness to meditate.

As for future plans of the university, he said that there are plans to register Gelugpa University under the University Grants Commission (UGC) of the Government of India. "After this, we will be recognized [by the government] as a university, not just a monastery."

DharmaDefender

« Reply #335 on: September 22, 2011, 03:38:41 AM »
The Geshe Lharampa qualification is definitely not easy to obtain. Also it was reported that this year, of the 150 monks who joined the university, around 70-80 left. I wonder where the monks who don't make it go.

They become the Lama Yeshes of this world! ;) but it wasnt that he quit, he just declined the degree.

Ever notice how many of the most powerful teachers who made Buddhism grow were not known for being erudite scholars or powerful debaters (excl Trijang Rinpoche and Zong Rinpoche)? For example, Pabongka Rinpoche was known as being a dull student.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #336 on: March 29, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
I saw this picture on Shar Gaden's facebook which was posted on 15 March. I attach it below. The caption accompanying the picture explained that the altar of Shar Gaden’s old prayer hall was under heavy renovation. In the picture, you can see the Tibetan artist master Mr. K. Gonpo on the right, who is making the final touches to the throne. You can see the scale of the statue in comparison to the size of the artist. I love to see large statues and hope that Shar Gaden will post up photos of the renovated altar when it’s ready.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #337 on: November 16, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »
The Shar Gaden website has been updated and a sleeker design has been added. :)

http://shargadenpa.org/

diablo1974

« Reply #338 on: November 22, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »
Visited the website, very nice indeed. Anyone here knows how can we visit Shar Gaden???? I would like to pay a visit and physically do my prostrations to The King of Protector Dorje Shugden. There are many young monks in the monastary and its a good sign that the lineage of Je Tsongkhapa will flourished.

W

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #339 on: December 07, 2012, 08:14:08 AM »
Shar Ganden's website is really nicely done. It looks very professional and it reflects the quality, when compared to Ganden Shartse's website that is. Despite their difficult conditions imposed on them by the CTA, they are still surviving and thriving in South India! No less! Even the building itself looks very magnificent. I hope to see more updates of them in the near future because they are growing fast!

kris

« Reply #340 on: January 26, 2013, 10:12:54 AM »
Wow! I really like Shar Gaden's website! It is clean and sleek! I like the photos on the rotating banners in the front page showing all the latest activities.

And I really like the Google map at the bottom of the front page. I visited the Shar Gaden monastery slightly over a year ago, and viewing the map (with streets view) really bring back a lot of good memories: the guests house we stayed, the small path we took, Trijang Rinpoche's Ladrang, stupas etc.

Well done to Shar Gaden for having such a great website! Keep up the good work!!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #341 on: April 11, 2013, 03:57:24 AM »
I wonder who is maintaining the website as well as being responsible to set it up because it is very nice and sleek indeed as it shows a lot of care and love in the process and it does look very professional as compared to Ganden Shartse's website who looks very cluttered and amateurish in comparison: http://www.gadenshartse.net/ I mean, websites now are very important to disseminate information and many organizations find it vital to survive through having a proper and good website to give people the right impression. So why is it that Ganden Shartse is not doing anything on their website? Either way, it does not make them look good.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #342 on: April 18, 2013, 07:22:49 AM »
To the administrator of Shar Gaden website, just wanted to let you know that your website is very well designed and easy to navigate. Do keep everyone of us here posted with news and developments at your monastery. I really appreciate all sangha members in your monastery for all the courageous efforts and hardship that you went through to keep the practice of Dorje Shugden alive. May the ban be lifted very soon due to the merits of all who have gone through so much pain and distress.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #343 on: April 18, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »
Shar Gaden represents success and modernity and not just sticking with the old way if we do not want to push to do much more and better. Very nicely done and congratulations on the new facelift to the website. May more people come to know about Dorje Shugden, what it really means, how much benefit the protector can give to all the people in the world without requiring any repayment.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #344 on: April 19, 2013, 06:19:34 AM »
New Disciplinarian and Chant Master announced on the Shar Gaden website. :)

http://shargadenpa.org/news