Author Topic: News from Shar Gaden  (Read 139362 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: News from Shar Gaden
« Reply #300 on: May 06, 2011, 03:12:30 PM »
The local police commissioner has great respect for Shar Gaden, the administrators, and the monk living here. He also requested and was given a copy of The Great Deception.

Dear Tenzin Sungrab,

Gosh, do many people in India know about "The Great Deception"? Is it promoted there? I'm just curious since it is a western publication.

Cheers!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #301 on: May 06, 2011, 03:31:17 PM »
Actually I was told that the Indian police commissioner had heard about the book and asked if anyone at Shar Gaden had a copy for him to read. I got the impression that he only wanted to know more about the issue, but this was the only text he knew of regarding this.
I am sure he was just trying to get other perspectives, as I am sure he has heard much negative propaganda about Shar Gaden as well.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #302 on: May 06, 2011, 05:50:13 PM »
Good that the Indian police commissioner is open to learning about different perspectives. If only more people would investigate other possibilities for themselves rather than just listening to the negative propaganda so prevalent out there. Perhaps you can even direct the Police Commissioner to this website which offers yet another perspective and he can make up his mind for himself.

Is the local community as anti-Shar Gaden as when you first got there? You mentioned that when people knew you were at Shar Gaden, they became less friendly than they initially were.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #303 on: May 06, 2011, 06:05:16 PM »
I think some people are less apt to talk to me, or engage with me, due to my living and teaching at Shar Gaden. I was denied service at the Gaden Janste store about a month ago for no apparent reason other than the shopkeepers know I am from Shar Gaden. They gave me no explaination, just told me to go.

Some people are very nice though, and seem to treat me the same as they treat others they meet along the way. For the monks here, things can be very different. Some have lifelong friends who no longer will even acknowledge their presence. Although there are also many cases of monks from Shar and monks from Shartse still retaining a limited version of prior friendships.

I have heard that the monks at Serpom have a much more difficult time with the local population than the monks from Shar Gaden.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #304 on: May 07, 2011, 02:46:06 PM »
For your kind attention, the newly appointed administrators of Shar Gaden Monastery hold office for a term
of three years from May 10, 2001.
Director Venerable Geshe Jampa la
General Secretary Ven Jampa Phuntsok
Treasure Ven Lobsang Choezin
Chief Accountant Ven Jungchoe Norbu

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #305 on: May 07, 2011, 10:35:54 PM »
Here is a recent picture of one of the new monks quarters. This is directly across the road from the Gaden Shartse debate ground.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #306 on: May 18, 2011, 08:19:25 AM »
http://shargadenpa.org/administration

NEW ADMINISTRATORS OF SHAR GADEN MONASTERY-2011

1) Ven Geshe Jampa la-Chief Treasurer/President

2) Ven Jampa Phuntsok-Chief Administrator/Vice-President

3) Ven Geshe Jangchup Norbu-Chief Inspector/Accountant

4) Ven Lobsang Choezin-Asst. Treasurer/G. manager

Shar Gaden Administrative Office has four administrators (chakzoe) who are elected for terms of three years by the General Board Members and resident monks of Shar Gaden. The chief administrator and three colleagues are responsible for general administration. Rest of other departments have their own management appointed by the current administrators as well as accordance with the outcome of the annual election conducted by the resident members of the monastery.

The administration seeks financial support to keep the monastic college stable and to provide daily sustenance for monks, as well as to enlarge monastic educational fields. They also have some other significant duties which include: to summon weekly, monthly and annual meetings in the presence of Ven abbot, Ven disciplinarian, Ven chant-master (uchoesum) and other members of affiliated offices and administering entire affiliated departments and receiving esteemed guests at the monastery.

Unlike other institutions, we do not receive any funds from any governmental body. The contribution of our respected benefactors and the funds raised by Shar Gaden Monks Tour Program are the mainstay of our economic status.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #307 on: June 01, 2011, 08:07:51 AM »

Starting yesterday, Trijang Labrang has sponsored the reading of the entire Kangyur and Tengyur ('The Translation of Buddha's Word' and 'Translation of Indian Treatises')
This will take the next 3-4 days as each monk recites a stack of scriptures at the same time.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #308 on: June 01, 2011, 10:51:37 AM »
Thanks for the news Tenzin Sungrab. 3-4 days seems remarkably short a time for such a reading! How many hours of reading do they do per day? And how many monks are reciting? Does this recitation involve the whole sangha of Shar Gaden?

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #309 on: June 01, 2011, 11:10:44 AM »
Thanks for the news Tenzin Sungrab. 3-4 days seems remarkably short a time for such a reading! How many hours of reading do they do per day? And how many monks are reciting? Does this recitation involve the whole sangha of Shar Gaden?

The monks are reciting from around 6am until 7-8pm daily, with short breaks in between. About 200-250 monks are participating. What a marvolous sound to hear....200+ monks reciting different scriptures all at the same time.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #310 on: June 09, 2011, 02:35:25 AM »
just to clarify...

I didn't realize this until just a couple of days ago but the recitation of the scriptures is actually done on a rotating basis each year. One year the Kangyur will be read, the next year the Tengyur will be read. This year it is the Tengyur that is being recited.

Roberto

« Reply #311 on: June 09, 2011, 02:39:54 PM »
Any chance at a video? or sound clip if not possible?

You are soo  lucky to have this opportunity to witness it live and in the flesh.

:)

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #312 on: June 09, 2011, 03:06:55 PM »
no longer have access to a video camera...

I never let a day go by that I don't remind myself how fortunate I am to be here. I know this is a cliché but there is literally nowhere on this planet that I would rather be. Since I have been back for almost 6 months now, I have been able to strengthen and nurture the friendships I developed a year ago when I first came.

In less than 2 weeks I will be leaving for Phegyeling Monastery in Nepal. I will be there for 2 months teaching English before returning here to Shar Gaden. I have plans to meet the Tibetans who were recently denied visas to enter India. Not sure how I can help, but I will be bringing them some gifts and messages.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #313 on: June 15, 2011, 04:50:37 AM »
Happy Saka Dawa Duchen from Shar Gaden!

The monks just finished sojong, and will be starting a special puja right after lunch. Dinner will not be served to night, as all the monks have taken the Eight Mahayana Precepts.

The full moon day of Saka Dawa commemorates Lord Buddha's birth, enlightenment, and parinirvana. acording to the the Vinaya text Treasure of Quotations and Logic, virtuous actions done on this day are multiplied one hundred million times!

dorjedakini

« Reply #314 on: June 15, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »
It's basically "To the supporters of Avalokiteshvara, you are encouraged to cause suffering to others in the name of discrimination and religious intolerance.  Thank you for your attention"

When did 'compassionate Buddhists' make it their duty to harm others?  What a crazy, hypocritical world we live in!

Yup it is very sad to see "Devotion" been twisted for selfish reasons. They being so devoted just to keep themselves safe and not to be attacked. I wonder how would they feel or do when the ban of Dorje Shugden practice is lifted. The root cause to be in samsara is ignorance. We need Dorje Shugden blessing badly.