Author Topic: Zemey Tulku Rinpoche  (Read 11523 times)

Robert Thomas

Zemey Tulku Rinpoche
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »
HHello there. I was wondering if anyone here could provide more information about Zemey Tulku? As we all know he published the Yellow book for which he has been branded falsely as sectarian. I’d like to hear about the real Zemey Tulku. For example, I heard that he wrote many of the Dalai Lama's books (as a ghost writer) and that he did much to support the preservation of teachings from all lineages in the exile Tibetan community. I read that he had to leave Dharamsala and became an exile in exile due to the Dalai Lama's displeasure over the Yellow book (this despite Trijang Rinpoche’s pleas to the Dalai Lama). His story seems to sit firmly at the heart or root of this sad situation, and he himself appears to have been a great being with many wonderful qualities, who was made a scapegoat by the Dalai Lama. I’d love to hear his true qualities praised and celebrated so that he is reclaimed for everyone as the person he was, a great spiritual teacher motivated by universal compassion, not the children’s story book demon created by the Dalai Lama. I also think that by understanding him there is a chance that others will begin doubt in the hearts the wicked agenda which is attributed to the Yellow Book’s publication.

thor

Re: Zemey Tulku Rinpoche
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:36:10 PM »
Hi Robert,

There is some info here, not much
http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=1960

I also heard from my lama that after the Yellow Book affair which was one of the triggers for the Dorje Shugden ban, Zemey Tulku was no longer allowed into Dalai Lama teachings. But despite this "humiliation", Zemey Rinpoche demonstrated a perfect example of guru devotion and faith in Dalai Lama by prostrating outside the teaching hall to His Holiness. And Zemey Rinpoche also never uttered a negative word against the Dalai Lama despite all that happened.

I take great inspiration from Zemey Tulku's example as a pure practitioner of Dorje Shugden.

dsnowlion

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 03:46:02 PM »
I do not know much about Zemey Rinpoche but one thing for sure if he is bad then why is He back and enthroned? Obviously He is not practicing anything wrong :)

You can watch this on: YouTube (
Small | Large
)

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 04:06:14 PM »
I read from Kyabje Zong Rinpoche's biography in Chod in the Gaden Tradition by David Molk (most amazing Lama's namthar) that Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche was foremost student of Kyabje Zong Rinpoche and in fact was specifically mentioned to have presided over the funerary rites of the previous Kyabje Zong Rinpoche. On top of that, he composed the prayer for the swift return of Kyabje Zong Rinpoche. Unfortunately, not much else was mentioned about Zemey Rinpoche.

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 04:11:12 PM »
Oh! One more info. I was looking at Zawa Tulku Rinpoche's biography and it states he was ordained by the illustrious Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche....

Robert Thomas

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 08:27:18 AM »
Thanks to each of you for taking the time answer my question. Even these few anecdotes illustrate how wrong minded the Dalai Lama's actions have been - greatly harming the ability of great teachers to benefit living beings.

Big Uncle

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 02:22:43 PM »
Yeah, I know how you feel. But I do think that with the current incarnation of Zemey Rinpoche being born in Tibet would mean that Dalai Lama and his nasty government would not be able to touch him. He would have free will to teach whatever he wants and practice whatever he likes - Dorje Shugden. I think he will eventually position himself to benefit millions of Chinese within China and perhaps abroad. Never underestimate the abilities of these Tulkus even when they are facing adverse conditions. Their prayers and motivation will ensure that some sort of benefit will be derived from it.

honeydakini

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 06:08:23 PM »
Zemey Rinpoche wrote at least two texts on Dorje Shugden:
One is the ‘Yellow Booklet’.
The other is a wealth practice taking Dorje Shugden as a wealth bestowing deity.

Extract from the “Yellow Booklet”:
“I praise to you – the protector of the Yellow Hat tradition.
You destroy like a pile of dust;
Great adepts, high officials and ordinary people;
Who defile and corrupt the Geluk teachings”

sources:
http://shugdenbuddhism.com/history.html

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 06:50:45 PM »

Just to add:

This is extracted from an interview with Geshe Kelsang Gyatso (http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.religion.buddhism.nkt/msg/4e76df4b3c6293ec):

Q: Geshe-la, in Zemey Tulku’s The Yellow Book, it says that Dorje Shugden killed many Gelugpa Lamas who engaged in practices of the Nyingma tradition. Do you believe this?

GKG: No, I never believed this. I knew Zemey Tulku. However, I do not believe the information contained in The Yellow Book.

Q: Why did Zemey Rinpoche write such things?

GKG: I don’t know the real reason for his writing this book. Maybe this was his view and he was trying to prevent Gelugpa Lamas from engaging in Nyingma practices. There are two reasons why I don’t believe this. One is that
Dorje Shugden never harms any sentient being because he is a Buddha, an enlightened being. He has compassion for all living beings without exception, even those who try to harm him.

The second reason is that the list of Lamas in The Yellow Book supposed to have killed by Dorje Shugden never received any harm from any spirit because they were sincerely practicing refuge in Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
In many holy scriptures of Sutra and Tantra it says that those who are sincerely taking refuge in Buddha, Dharma and Sangha, will never receive harm from spirits. We have this guarantee from Buddha if we sincerely practice refuge. I understand that The Yellow Book causes many Nyingmapa practitioners to become unhappy with Dorje Shugden, and because of this they do not appreciate Dorje Shugden practitioners and sometimes even criticize them. This causes the development of disharmony within the Mahayana Buddhist community. As we know, our harmony is important. We Buddhists need to show a good example, we should not argue with each other or criticize each other.

We should practice our own tradition purely but respect other traditions. We should never try to destroy the spiritual life of others. Although some people say ‘I am Nyingmapa’, ‘I am Gelugpa’, this is just a different way of presenting and practicing Dharma. The real essence is the same. So I would like to suggest to everybody to forget The Yellow Book. The Yellow Book was not written by Buddha, so why should we believe this?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Lone Hermit

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 10:11:37 PM »
Hello there. I was wondering if anyone here could provide more information about Zemey Tulku? As we all know he published the Yellow book for which he has been branded falsely as sectarian. I’d like to hear about the real Zemey Tulku. For example, I heard that he wrote many of the Dalai Lama's books (as a ghost writer)

Very interesting. Who are your sources for this information because I heard that for the last 20 years of his life Rinpoche was incapacitated by a stroke. Does anyone know more about this?

honeydakini

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 01:04:36 PM »

But despite this "humiliation", Zemey Rinpoche demonstrated a perfect example of guru devotion and faith in Dalai Lama by prostrating outside the teaching hall to His Holiness. And Zemey Rinpoche also never uttered a negative word against the Dalai Lama despite all that happened.

What a perfect example!

So far the question remains unanswered as to how the yellow book ever came about and I still have not been able to find any information. It will not change my mind as to authenticity of DS practice, but I think that as with all texts, it is helpful to know the cultural, socio-historical context in which it was written to get a fuller understanding of its message. To me, it seems to have been taken grossly out of context and quoted in what seems to be almost verbatim - losing perhaps the actual intended message.

Knowing the audience to which this speech was delivered is also important because that talk may have been specifically tailored to accommodate for their particular karma or level of mind (Liberation in the Palm of your Hand for example is written specifically for a sangha community so certain examples may seem to be obsolete to us now as lay people)

Ultimately, it doesn't make sense ever to say that DS will harm those who take teachings from other schools - we must remember that if he is protecting the Gelug lineage, tsongkhapa's teachings and the Lamrim itself is a synthesis of teachings from all other schools of buddhism! If we are "hurt" by jumping from school to school or taking teachings from other sects it is not because of the teachings or the yidams or protectors, but rather, a result of our own karma, wrong motivation for taking other teachings (for reputation? academic fame? to spite our own teachers and dharma community?).

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 02:56:37 PM »
Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche also wrote the logic text (Dura) that is being used here at Shar Gaden.

thaimonk

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 06:34:29 AM »
I am a HUGE fan of this website. Some of the views on it does not match with mine. But so what? Where else better than here is there to go to? Why find differences in a few issues, why not find commonality with the huge similarities.

Anyway if I don't like it, I DON'T HAVE TO COME HERE, but where can I go? I am addicted to this site.

I sure can't set up something like this with the time, energy, money, knowledge, research, thousands of hours necessary.

So I am here to stay and my respect for this site grows all the time.

Mehtra
San Diego

(source: post from guestbook)