Author Topic: China lifts 17-year ban on Dalai Lama photos at Tibet monastery  (Read 5621 times)

DharmaDefender

China lifts 17-year ban on Dalai Lama photos at Tibet monastery
« on: December 11, 2015, 09:11:36 AM »
Old news but still interesting nevertheless in light of the information on this thread: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=5535.0

Embarrassingly for Dharamsala, it seems religious freedom is now more easily available under Chinese rule than under Tibetan rule.

I still stand by my conclusion that if Dharamsala were REALLY interested in His Holiness returning to Tibet, they would stop all their self-immolation rubbish ( a waste of Tibetan lives) and other provocative nonsense. Its not me being Communist or anything like that. Its a simple analysis of the situation. Theyve been yelling for 60 years and its nowt got them far. Time to try a different tack maybe?

China lifts 17-year ban on Dalai Lama photos at Tibet monastery

Chinese officials have lifted a ban on Tibetan monks displaying photographs of the Dalai Lama at a prominent monastery, a rights group said on Thursday, an unexpected policy shift which could ease tensions in the restive region.

The decision concerning the Gaden monastery in the Tibetan capital Lhasa - one of the most historically important religious establishments in Tibet - reversed a ban introduced in 1996, the Britain-based Free Tibet group told Reuters, citing sources with direct knowledge of the situation.

It was made as similar changes are being considered in other Tibetan regions of China, and may signal authorities are contemplating looser religious restrictions and a policy change over Tibet, three months after President Xi Jinping took office.

Chinese officials in western Qinghai province are also considering lifting a ban on Tibetans displaying pictures of the exiled spiritual leader, according to the International Campaign for Tibet, a U.S.-based advocacy group.

It said there were also draft proposals in the region to end the practice of forcing Tibetans to denounce the Dalai Lama, and to decrease the police presence at monasteries.

Officials in Lhasa and Qinghai could not immediately be reached for comment.

Such measures appear calculated to reduce tensions between the Tibetans and the government after a series of Tibetan self-immolation protests against Chinese rule.

Beijing considers the Dalai Lama, who fled China in 1959 after an abortive uprising against Chinese rule, a violent separatist. The Dalai Lama, who is based in India, says he is merely seeking greater autonomy for his Himalayan homeland.

Since 2009, at least 120 Tibetans have set themselves on fire in China in protest against Beijing's policies in Tibet and nearby regions with large Tibetan populations. Most were calling for the return of the Dalai Lama.

"Tibetans' reverence for and loyalty to the Dalai Lama has almost no equal among the world's communities and if this policy is extended beyond this individual monastery as other reports suggest, it will be very significant for the Tibetan people," Free Tibet spokesman Alistair Currie said.

The new policy at the Gaden monastery and the discussions in Qinghai come after a scholar from the Central Party School published an essay questioning China's policy on Tibet.

So far, President Xi has said very little publicly about Tibet. His late father, Xi Zhongxun, a liberal-minded former vice premier, was close to the Dalai Lama. The Tibetan leader once gave the elder Xi an expensive watch in the 1950s, a gift the senior party official still wore decades later.

"There's increasingly a view that due to the critical nature of the situation of Tibet, a discussion of a change in some hardline policies is merited and there's a need for the Dalai Lama to be involved in some way," Kate Saunders, spokeswoman for the International Campaign for Tibet, told Reuters.

Saunders said the draft proposals in Qinghai were likely to be implemented either in August or September.

(Reporting by Sui-Lee Wee; Editing by Pravin Char)

Read more at Reutershttp://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-tibet-idUSBRE95Q07E20130627#khOiGqKo6oGEpI5R.99

eyesoftara

Re: China lifts 17-year ban on Dalai Lama photos at Tibet monastery
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 09:20:27 AM »
Whatever the reason and motivation, I find this news welcoming and it means the Tibetan conflict some alleviation. President Xi is certainly a good leader and I truly respect him for this and many of his new policies especially his no nonsense policy on corruption.
I jus wish the Tibetan side, especially the CTA do not gloat over this as this is the prerogative of China and in not a victory of any kind of the CTA. In contrast, the CTA should respond positively by thanking China as step towards reconciliation.

Best way of course is to lift the Shugden ban and China may lift another ban; of perhaps the Dalai Lama going back to Tibet?

fruven

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 01:12:37 AM »
Whatever the reason and motivation, I find this news welcoming and it means the Tibetan conflict some alleviation. President Xi is certainly a good leader and I truly respect him for this and many of his new policies especially his no nonsense policy on corruption.
I jus wish the Tibetan side, especially the CTA do not gloat over this as this is the prerogative of China and in not a victory of any kind of the CTA. In contrast, the CTA should respond positively by thanking China as step towards reconciliation.

Best way of course is to lift the Shugden ban and China may lift another ban; of perhaps the Dalai Lama going back to Tibet?

I agreed it is not a victory for CTA as they have a hand in enforcing the discrimination against Dorje Shugden practitioners. Although they can deny as much as they want.

China has invested much in developing Tibet all these years. Would you think that CTA can enjoy the fruits of China's effort?

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »
I agree totally that the lifting of Ban in displaying the Dalai Lama's photos in Tibet monasteries is no credit to the CTA.

After 60 years nothing has changed for the Tibetans in exile, but China is changing. If there is any real desire of the CTA to negotiate amicably with China, this may be the time.

Talking about lifting a Ban, if China can do so why not CTA lift the Ban on Shugden worship.  Maybe CTA cannot do so as it would then lift the alleged failure on their part to have some agreement with China.  Dprje Shugden is their scapegoat. What a shame!!!!!

Shugdener

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 02:29:16 PM »
I find it a bit hard to believe it when I read this post earlier.

This news might seem like nothing to many but if you look at it and compare China and Tibet, China is more restricting when it comes to certain things and for them to lift this ban on the displaying of Dalai Lama photos at a Tibet Monastery is great news to hear.

This also shows that China is also offering more religious freedom than Tibet. This to me should be an embarrassment to Tibet as it shows that China is being very cooperative and peaceful by lifting this ban and the CTA should repay China's kindness by lifting the ban on Dorje Shugden so that the world becomes a better place.

kelly

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 08:26:25 AM »
Is good news at least the China has make a more diplomatic move to show to his people he really want the change , and give full support for their practice.

grandmapele

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 04:52:31 PM »
So, now China has shown it is being liberal and handing the Tibetans a laurel leave. Now, will the CTA accept it with good grace? Time will only tell. Hopefully there are cooler heads with brains in CTA. A little prayer now will surely help things along?

gbds3jewels

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 03:06:51 AM »
The lifting of this ban on displaying Dalai Lama photos in Tibet monastery definitely has nothing to do with anything CTA has done. It is merely a reflection how Chinese government works. Like every government in the world, China has its problems and flaws but it doesn't become one of the most powerful sovereignty in the world for no good reasons. It doesn't mean I agree with China's policy and invasion of Tibet but I do believe China wants progress even if their methods are not always the best. I think the lifting of this ban is part of China's way to adapt to what is needed for progress.

grandmapele

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 04:24:37 AM »
In this matter, sometimes we continue to think of China as a person. It is an entity. The China that invaded Tibet during the Cultural Revolution is not the China of today though it may seem the same. The government is trying to move with the times but we still have to keep in mind that they have to manage a very huge country both geographically and culturally. They do have to be cautious.

On the other, the 14th Dalai Lama is the 14th Dalai Lama and a person. How do explain the disparity?

VeronicaSmith

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 05:01:47 PM »
Is this a sign of a possible conclusion of peace? I welcome this. I want to see where this leads. I think this could lead to a conclusion with peace. I hope this can lead to peace and for there not to be words exchanged and for this to be used as a weapon or to be used hostage. I want this to be a sign of unity than separation or one sidedness.

The closer to peace we get, the better. But there must be peace on both ends. We must all agree to see the truth for once and stop denying and stop pretending nothing is happening. We must see peace and unity from this torn situation and practice once again.