Author Topic: Family of mistakenly cremated Buddhist: ‘She’s doomed to eternal shame’  (Read 17549 times)

bambi

Oh dear. I feel sorry for the family. Sadly, they have already cremated therefore I think this would be the best time still to make offerings to the Buddha and Sangha on behalf of Ms Tan and collect the most merits for her so that she may have a good rebirth.

In Buddhism, death marks the transition from this life to the next for the deceased.

Among Buddhists death is regarded as an occasion of major religious significance, both for the deceased and for the survivors. For the deceased it marks the moment when the transition begins to a new mode of existence within the round of rebirths. When death occurs, all the karmic forces that the dead person accumulated during the course of his or her lifetime become activated and determine the next rebirth.

Bad karma may await a Manhattan funeral director — but right now he’s facing one hell of a lawsuit.
A Buddhist family says a Chinatown funeral home mistakenly cremated their elderly mother’s body — which they intended to bury after an elaborate religious ceremony — condemning her soul to “live in poverty and shame” for all of eternity, new court papers say.

Mei Xian Tan, 87, died from cancer complications in a Canarsie nursing home on Jan. 19, and her three children had already made careful arrangements with a Chinatown funeral home for her body to be handled in accordance with Buddhist and Confucian traditions, the Brooklyn Supreme Court lawsuit states.
Tan’s children had signed a contract with the funeral home for a pre-burial cleansing ceremony, where their mother’s embalmed body would be displayed in an open casket wearing makeup and clothes and surrounded by a Buddhist monk and her loving family, the suit states.

But the funeral home accidentally cremated the retired Chinatown factory worker’s naked body without telling them — days before the agreed-upon cleansing date — depriving her soul of the crucial ceremonies necessary for a pleasant afterlife.

“They feel as if they’re responsible for their mom going to hell,” said attorney Daniel Gregory.
“According to the plaintiff’s cultural and religious beliefs, the plaintiffs and their descendants would be cursed by their mother’s soul, unless the pre-burial cleansing ceremony was performed,” the suit states.
“Their mother’s soul would be unrecognizable to anyone she encountered in the afterlife, if her body was buried without makeup and clothing.”

Religion experts said Chinese Buddhists have very specific traditions to ensure dead loved ones are properly sent off into the afterlife.
“They believe it’s important you be dressed in a certain way, you have money and equipment,” said Robert Thurman, professor of Buddhist studies at Columbia University.
“Otherwise the person is embarrassed. They’re traveling [through the afterlife] naked and broke, which is not agreeable.”

Wah Wing Funeral Corporation funeral director Gordon Wong called Tan’s family on Jan. 23 saying that their mother’s body had been cremated the day before by another funeral home after the body somehow ended up there, the suit states.

After Wong told Tan’s children about the mistake, he allegedly tricked the non-English speakers into signing a “cremation permit” in order for them to receive their mom’s ashes, according to the suit.
Gordon told Tan’s children he wouldn’t charge them for the cremation, but they insisted on paying the bill, “Because they believed it would be bad karma if they did not,” the suit states.

Tan came to New York City from China in 1983 and worked in a Chinatown factory while raising her three children – son Kok Chuen Yuen, 52, and daughters Yue Chang Ruan, 55, and Yue E. Ruan, 50.
She loved spending time with her family, cooking, and playing mahjong, Gregory said.

kris

I do feel for the family for being upset, but would a lawsuit do anything for the deceased? From a Buddhist point of view, I would pray for the deceased to let go and have a quick rebirth. By  having a lawsuit, we are encouraging the deceased's mind to stay around longer and may eventually missed the time for rebirth.

IMHO, the plaintiff is just making false claims and make this a big deal so that he can win the lawsuit.

vajrastorm

I know we should uphold tradition and culture , if it doesn't harm anyone and would , instead,bring real  benefit to the people involved. In this case having or not having the cleansing rights done for the dead body,  would not have made a difference to the dead person, because her consciousness had already left the body.

It is sad that people like the Tan family have no knowledge of the Dharma or  how the karma works or manifests. If they had, they wouldn't have waited until after her death, to carry out a "cleansing ceremony" for her. Instead, they would have prepared her for death, long before it took place. Help her develop a calm and peaceful death, a mind of acceptance of death. This is important because the state of mind at death will determine whether the consciousness goes to a good rebirth or not.

Klein

It is a very unfortunate incident for this family. If the family had some dharma knowledge, they would know that washing the body and putting on make up for the deceased will not affect her karma of going to the hell realm or other realms. But because of their ignorance and superstitions, they are very angry and disturbed by this mistake which we can't blame them.

This is why it is important that we learn more dharma and educate people around us so that we understand and not get so caught up with things that do not really matter.

Midakpa

It is clear that the family has acted out of superstition and traditional beliefs. They believe that because the deceased was cremated without being properly dressed and without a proper ceremony, she would be condemned to a miserable afterlife. It is very difficult to fight against someone's culture and traditional customs. I think the funeral home will have to pay for their mistake.

dondrup

The Wah Wing Funeral Corporation was not professional and ethical in this case.  How very insensitive and inconsiderate of them to make such a horrible mistake! And the funeral director Gordon Wong had the audacity to trick them further into signing a cremation permit. It seems like Gordon Wong was really ignorant about the consequences of his negative actions!

If the deceased had not taken immediate rebirth after her death and upon her cremation, she would still be around to take rebirth within the 49 days of her death. Assuming she hadn't taken immediate rebirth, how would the deceased feel in the bardo state seeing that she didn't receive a proper final rites?  Disappointment, confused, fear, regret, anger to name a few emotions that will arise.  Anger will propel her to a rebirth in the hell realm. 

This is really unfortunate if it had happened! Madam Tan was indeed very unfortunate to have experienced such an inauspicious end to her life. It is due to her karma and her lack of merit to have a proper burial and final rites.

As for her children, they will for the rest of their lives live with guilt for not giving their mother a proper final rite. 

Rihanna

I feel so sorry for the family. After having just experienced the death of their beloved mother, only to find their instructions not carried out accordingly by the undertakers. Must be so traumatising for them. This is another classic example on how not having dharma knowledge brings so much pain and agony. If they only knew any better, they will not be fussing over something that has not power to determine their mother's rebirth.

fruven

It is sad to heard of such news. Although they are Buddhist a traditional funeral is part of the family's cultural practice. It is considered insensitive and irresponsible for the funeral parlour to make such a mistake. A lawsuit may not change much but if the deceased is still lingering around, a judgement in favour may calm her down.

It is true that everyone need to prepare for their death in daily lives, not just only at the death bed. Every day is for us to generate merits for good future lives, otherwise it would be such a waste of the precious human body and mind.

eyesoftara

The assurance of not going to the lower realms is best to be practiced by the deceased during the deceased lifetime. That is the practicing of the Dharma purely. This is the best assurance. The prayers and "cleansing" ceremony is of very small value to the deceased. To believe her descendants would be curse is pure superstitions. I am sorry to say that I have read that Chinese "folk" religion are full of illogical superstitions even though the practices and customs originated from Buddhism and Taoism. But overtime, these believe evolved into superstitious beliefs.

angelica

Feeling sorry for the family that they lost their love one and also being not so fortunate like some of us that we have dharma knowledge and understand what determine the next rebirth. Even though if they manage to win the lawsuit, it will still not solve their problem. They will still blame their own self for their mother's "bad rebirth". May this family be fortunate enough to be able to listen to dharma and have better understanding about rebirth. Then only, they can eliminate their guilt, appreciate more of their human life and practice dharma for a better rebirth. 

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
From the conclusion of this true story, we need to realize why we need to learn and study the dharma to teach our future generation to come to share with them the importance of not having superstitious mind. The consciousness of the elderly lady has already left her body and taken the rebirth somewhere. She will face her own karma of what she had done in her current life. There is nothing much to do now for the family except to sponsor prayers for 49 days after her death. I guess the family is suing the funeral parlor to seek damages caused by their negligence.

diamond girl

I am quite surprised that such a matter would entail a law suit. Apparently the Tan family are not proficient in English. This is indeed a terrible accident which took place. And I do not see how this law suit would help anything but make the grieving process longer and more treacherous. This is the moment like what have already said to do prayers for the deceased mother. She would not be resting in peace for sure in light of what is happening. 

Blueupali

• Email
Oh, in the United States, people sue for this sort of thing all the time.
  However, you know and I know that the body doesn't really matter, but the issue is that in this culture, which adopted Buddhism, it does.  (I mean, we can't take it with us, so sending money and jewels with the deceased won't help them, but our prayers do).  So, anyway, I am sorry for the children who are grieving and distraut, but yes, people sue for exactly this sort of thing.... I wouldn't but then that isn't my type of belief, so it wouldn't occur to me....

maricisun

• Email
It's very unfortunate for the deceased and her family that such an error was done.  To go into a law suit will serve no purpose to the deceased when a ritual and offerings to be conducted will be a better solution. Maybe this is the karma for the deceased as everything has been clearly stated to the funeral parlour. Let's hope the grieving family will do the necessary prayers and offerings for the deceased to have a good rebirth.

MoMo

In the traditional Chinese society often we see that someone who claims to be Buddhist is actually practicing a mixture of localized believe based Taoism, shamanistic and Buddhism. Majority of society could not tell the difference between the doctrines of Taoism and Buddhism.  The plaintiff claim of their mother was “doom to eternal shame” is baseless in Buddhism view, who believe that the body was composed of four great elements that will eventually fall apart when their conditions ceased. No amount of ritual done on the deceased’s body would be of any help as it would be akin to washing rigorously an old worn out cloth in hope that it will of any use in future. The only thing that matter for the death person at bardo was guard their consciousness to be of virtuous preparing for a next fortunate migration.