Author Topic: Man Asked to Take Down Tibetan Prayer Flags  (Read 8340 times)

icy

Man Asked to Take Down Tibetan Prayer Flags
« on: May 22, 2014, 02:21:56 AM »
Interesting.  This is happening in the United States where there is absolute freedom to religion, any kind of religion.

SANTA FE, N.M. —A Santa Fe Buddhist said he’s shocked he has to defend his religious rights in the United States.

Tenzin Digkhang said he takes his religion very seriously.

“I know I have my rights,” he said.

His family fled Tibet for their freedoms.

VIDEO: Homeowner association asks man to take down Tibetan prayer flags

“Brothers and sisters in Tibet, they don’t have rights to do anything,” he said.

He said he’s being told he has to take down his traditional Tibetan prayer flags. They hang on his front porch. He said that’s like telling someone they can’t have a cross on their home.

He said about two months ago he started getting letters from the homeowners association ordering him to take down the flags and pay fines. He added he was told they violate subdivision rules and that he’s even been threatened with lawsuits.

“It's really painful knowing people don't want to understand you,” he said.

Digkhang said the flags are a symbol of peace and goodwill through the neighborhood.

“When the wind blows, it brings compassion and inner good energy to anybody surrounded and anybody who sees it,” said Digkhang.

He said he won’t take down the flags and that he has to teach his kids what it means to live in a free country.

Manager Helen Waters of the Colores Del Sol complex declined to comment.

Read more: http://www.koat.com/news/homeowner-association-asks-man-to-take-down-tibetan-prayer-flags/26087186#ixzz32PHnRRBY

Klein

Re: Man Asked to Take Down Tibetan Prayer Flags
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 11:31:50 AM »
Not all of the US practises freedom of religion and human rights although it is written in it's constitution. There are still lots of racism outside of the big cities.  The KKK still exists and is very active. Check it out here http://www.businessinsider.my/anthony-karens-photos-of-the-modern-day-ku-klux-klan-2014-4/

I feel that if Tenzin Digkhang stays firm, he does have a case because no homeowner association can disregard a person's religious practice no matter how they personally don't accept it. If push comes to shove, he can get legal on them as it infringes on basic human rights.

bambi

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »
Sigh... What is the problem with having a Tibetan flag around one's house? People can make accusations before asking for the facts. People are just afraid of what they dont know and its true what Tenzin Digkhang said
“It's really painful knowing people don't want to understand you”

RedLantern

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »

Like Tenzin Digkhang mentioned,the flags are a symbol of peace and goodwill through the neighborhood.So what is the problem? The flags harm no one.I simply love prayer flags,they are colorful and add an exotic touch to the surrounding. I hope all will be well for Tenzin.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 12:27:10 PM »
As US is a free country why was the man asked to take down the Tibetan Prayer Flags which was hung in his own compound. The prayers flags are a symbol of peace and goodwill and these people really do not understand him. The flags are a lovely sight to look at and I hope this man will not bring down the flags and teach his children what a free country it is to be able to practice free religion.

brian

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 05:04:23 PM »
Having just pointed out that US is a free country. Freedom of speech, then i supposed there should be such incidences which will trigger. We all know what Tibetan flags symbolises and we support it and will love it to be hung around our neighbourhood but what if it is not the case for some people who might think other religious flags are better off to be hung instead. Will that be offensive to us? Its a point to ponder...

metta girl

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »
Tibetan flags are very beautiful when hung high up with the gentle wind blowing,sending out blessings with every breeze to everyone in the surrounding areas.Every time we look at the flags, it reminds us of peace, happiness ,kindness and compassion. Tenjin Digkhang got every right to hang the flags up because It's a free country and it's in HIS porch.

eyesoftara

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 04:49:59 AM »
This just goes to prove that we live in a very ignorant and selfish world. What one do not understand one will be fearful or simply do not like. When that happens, fear arise and foolish actions follows. And it goes in destructive cycles.
How can a few colourful flags subdivision rules? Well, it is the ignorance of people and arrogance that stems from this that causes the problem. Of I am Mr Digkhang, I would just take the fine and continue to protect the freedom of religious practice. The flags are within reason. It does not impede or inconvenient others. Perhaps just inconvenient the minds of the ignorant.

Aurore

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 05:31:07 PM »
“When the wind blows, it brings compassion and inner good energy to anybody surrounded and anybody who sees it,” said Digkhang.

What Digkhang said is valid. According to Tibetan tradition, prayers flags are imprinted with sacred images and mantras. When the wind blows, it transmit healing, protective and balancing energy to its surroundings.

He acted wisely for not conforming to such request as the prayer flag's elemental forces works on a subtle level and is beyond ordinary human perception or those who do not have the karma to perceive it. No one should stop doing something beneficial to all beings just because of some people who are stuck with negative views.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »
Amazingly at times one will faced the most ridiculous reason or no reason at all to prevent us to do what we think or know is beneficial to others and yet this stumbling block is in our way. These kind of people are so into their own little world and i pity them because they are so into their little world and do not open their mind to the fact that in this world we have a lot of differences but to learn to accept it and perhaps understand.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 10:24:50 AM »
Poor soul. I do agree to what this man says, tibetans from what I can recall from history is that they had no promising quality of freedom. Quote from Wiki : "Tibet has been described as a society in which the concept of human rights was unknown:t was ruled by a theocracy,beset by serfdorm and a form of slavery,had a caste-like social hierarchy,[7] lacked a proper judicial system and enforced penal mutilations.However, it is claimed that capital punishment and mutilation decreased considerably with the increased influence of Buddhism." It is sad when a country with such potential inspirationalist of religion be knocked down by boundaries of laws and communism. God (no labels), had put us on this earth with human qualities to share greatness, but people like what this man referenced to " “It's really painful knowing people don't want to understand you,” he said." , are selfish freaks of nature that abuses God's gift and often these type of people are in the position of unfair power. Power is never attractive, it destroys humanity, but often disguised as a deception of 'success'.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 11:23:30 AM »
I cannot imagine this could happen in the USA. But then again not all in the USA are well read and exposed to the world. If this is the case, then it is pure ignorant. Instead of trying to understand and learning about other religion, they just use what they know best to shut down other people and religion, with law suits. We also know that they are ignorant because they could not even explain why they wanted to the flags to be removed. What isi the valid reason? They just hung up the phone when being asked.

In fact Tibetan prayer flags will bless the neighbourhood as there are prayers written on the flags. When the wind blows. the mantras and blessings will follow it. Even those who have a glimpse of these flags will be blessed.

MoMo

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 12:57:39 PM »
As with any places in the world the inhabitant of that area will be wary any new “intruding” culture that might change their way of life. It is the same fear we all had when is placed outside of our comfort zone into the unknown.
To maintain harmony with local culture, I had seen many example of Buddhist centre building assimilate the local building architecture style only a few telltale signs that indicates it as places of worship for Buddhist.
From the amount of prayer flags that hung in front of Mr. Digkhang , I don’t think the problem lies in hanging of the flags but could be more about other issues:- His cultural background!

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 04:52:50 AM »
It seems the homeowners' association where Tenzin Digkhang and his family is residing are being irrational with their demand. From the video, the flags are only hanging in the interior of Tenzin's house and does not cause any obstructions to the flow of traffics. The homeowners' association should practice more discernment towards the different religious beliefs of the residents. The residents should be allowed the freedom to display and practice their religious beliefs as long as the actions do not hinder and offend other residents.