Author Topic: Dagyab Kyabgon Rinpoche dispels rumours regarding Dorje Shugden  (Read 9056 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Dagyab Kyabgon Rinpoche dispels rumours regarding Dorje Shugden
« on: February 18, 2014, 06:46:46 AM »
I came across this interesting statement from Dagyab Kyabgon Rinpoche, though as I have previously said, when people justify with hue and cry, I tend to think thou dost protest too much.

The writer of the blog post introduces Dagyab Kyabgon Rinpoche as one of the "most outstanding and highest ranking lamas from the Gelug tradition of Tibetan Buddhism", who also is "a close associate of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, who is also Rinpoche's guru, along with Kyabje Trijiang Rinpoche, as well as His Holiness Sakya Trizin." If agyab Kyabgon Rinpoche is a close associate of Kyabje Trijiang Rinpoche, he would be an ardent Dorje Shugden practitioner.

"Talking (spreading rumours) in this way, they must have certain intentions. I suspect they just want to separate Dharma brothers and sisters. This is really not nice. This is not the way to behave as Dharma practitioners."

Why would Buddhists want to create schism amongst their own Buddhist community? Perhaps they are merely emulating the Dalai Lama in his dividing his own people from Dorje Shugden practitioners and non-Dorje Shugden practitioners.

Dagyab Kyabgon Rinpoche dispels rumours about Dro-Phen Ling regarding Dorje Shugden

http://lol8.blogspot.sg/2014/02/dagyab-kyabgon-rinpoche-dispels-rumours.html

My guru, His Eminence Dagyab Kyabgon Loden Sherab Rinpoche, is here in Singapore for precious Dharma teachings and events again. During his teachings on the 6 Paramitas over the weekend, Dagyab Rinpoche mentioned and made clear his stand (read below) the rumours about Gaden Shartse Dro-Phen Ling (DPL) in Singapore, regarding Dorje Shugden.

I am very happy that Dagyab Rinpoche put to rest this matter by openly sharing with his students/devotees who attended the teaching, whether they are from DPL centre or from other Buddhist centres. I feel this is a very significant statement, and necessary in order to stop the unhealthy and misleading information which has been circulating by people both online and within the Tibetan Buddhist community in Singapore. It is an important message to all Dharma practitioners, to be mindful of their speech and conduct, to maintain religious harmony between Buddhist centres, as well as to preserve the pure teachings of the Buddha Dharma.

Dagyab Rinpoche belongs to a group of most outstanding and highest ranking lamas from the Gelug tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. He is the spiritual head of the Dagyab region in Eastern Tibet and carries the title Hothogthu Nomonhan meaning the "Noble King of Dharma"). He is a close associate of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, who is also Rinpoche's guru, along with Kyabje Trijiang Rinpoche, as well as His Holiness Sakya Trizin. Dagyab Rinpoche left Lhasa Tibet in 1959 together with His Holiness Dalai Lama into exile in India. He is a rare living Master today who holds the most transmissions of the Gelug lineage as well as many transmissions of the Sakya and Kagyu schools.

Below is Dagyab Rinpoche's message on 9 Feb 2014, which I have transcribed.

Some people are talking about Dro-Phen Ling... that Dro-Phen Ling might have, or should have, or would have a connection with a certain protector deity, which is Dorje Shugden. They warn others that they should not go to Dro-Phen Ling. All these rumours are actually nonsense. I guess the motivation of those who are talking about these things... they are jealous. Dro-Phen Ling has a very good study program for several years, and doing Dharma practice properly. Dro-Phen Ling is strongly connected with Gaden Shartse Monastery. Dro-Phen Ling is under the spiritual guidance of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama. If they want to challenge Dro-Phen Ling, then they are challenging the 14th Dalai Lama.

These people who spread rumours could not do anything. If they really know it to be true, they should prove it. I have known my students (in Dro-Phen Ling) for more than 13 years. I know my students very well. If you ask them who Dorje Shugden is, the most they can say is maybe it is some protector riding on a snow lion, wear monk robe, or hat..... and that’s their knowledge of Dorje Shugden. They also know nothing about Dorje Shugden. Without knowing anything, some people just spread rumours and blame them for doing this and for doing that, without reason. It is better to keep quiet. It is more merit-ful.

Or they might give a reason, maybe they think because I am giving teaching here (in Dro-Phen Ling) that I am involved with Dorje Shugden. That’s right. I was involved. So was the 14th Dalai Lama. But after some time, he (His Holiness Dalai Lama) was knowledgeable enough to know that this (practice) is inaccurate and should be stopped. So do I. I am in the same position as His Holiness the Dalai Lama. If you want to blame me, then please blame the Dalai Lama too.

And you may also think that since Dro-Phen Ling is related to Gaden Shartse Monastery and Gaden Shartse is somehow related to Dorje Shugden. If it is so, how can the Dalai Lama visit Gaden Shartse and give teaching there? Others do not know what is going on in India. Those Sangha who did not wish to follow His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s advice have left the monastery. The (existing) Gaden Shartse monks are pure practitioners, ascertained by the Dalai Lama himself. They have nothing to do with Dorje Shugden. Those who blame or start the rumours, they themselves only assume from hearsay.

This is somehow a very sensitive issue about Dro-Phen Ling’s connection with Dorje Shugden. I am so sorry, I have nothing to do with the Dro-Phen Ling administration. I am just giving my Dharma talk and teaching here. If you think what you spread is true, you can challenge them (Dro-Phen Ling). If you need to go to court, please do so, it is your right. These people who spread rumours are also Buddhists. As a Buddhist practitioner, one needs to have certain responsibility. I am quite sure those people who are talking about this must have also taken Bodhicitta vows and Tantra vows. They need to think very carefully the result of committing such a downfall and samaya vows. Talking (spreading rumours) in this way, they must have certain intentions. I suspect they just want to separate Dharma brothers and sisters. This is really not nice. This is not the way to behave as Dharma practitioners.

I have known about these rumours for a few years, and I thought maybe they would disappear on its own but it is always going on. So therefore, I as a Dharma teacher, I need to explain. This is my responsibility to say whether this is correct or incorrect according to the Dharma. Actually, it will be great if these people come to see me and properly, openly, directly, we can discuss. We are all the same as human beings. We all would not want to suffer. We all want happiness. Hence, everyone, especially all Dharma practitioners should work together, and not separately.

- Dagyab Kyabgon Rinpoche, 9 Feb 2014.

Rejoice! Om mani padme hum.
May all sentient beings have happiness and its causes,
May all sentient beings be free of suffering and its causes,
May all sentient beings never be separated from bliss without suffering,
May all sentient beings be in equanimity, free of bias, attachment and anger.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Lineageholder

Re: Dagyab Kyabgon Rinpoche dispels rumours regarding Dorje Shugden
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 07:53:45 PM »
I find the subtext of this very sad. For example, Rinpoche says:

Those Sangha who did not wish to follow His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s advice have left the monastery. The (existing) Gaden Shartse monks are pure practitioners, ascertained by the Dalai Lama himself. They have nothing to do with Dorje Shugden.

So he's saying that Dorje Shugden practitioners are not pure. How can he say this? it's just following the Dalai Lama's propaganda. This has been the DL's intention from the beginning to portray Shugden practitioners as impure/non-Buddhist/demon worshippers. This then also applies to the Lineage Gurus of the Gelugpa tradition which invalidates the Dalai Lama's training as well.

How can the Dalai Lama certify anyone as pure when he has divorced himself from his own tradition and repudiated his own Teachers? Who would trust such a person's judgement or follow them?

Rinpoche is also implying that the Shugden monks left of their own accord when the Dalai Lama ordered them to be expelled. The Al-jazeera documentary shows clips of the Dalai Lama demanding that they be removed from their monasteries. What is even sadder than the Dalai Lama lying is high Lamas seeming to accept those lies and propagate them. It's a complete mess.

icy

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:37:28 AM »
So Dagyab Kyabgon Rinpoche wants to be politically right and support the Dalai Lama's ban on Dorje Shugden which has created a tremendous suffering and segregation amongst Tibetan people themselves. So we see a high ranking lama in political maneuvering and sullying the truth about Dorje Shugden.  Its really too bad for those Tibetans who choose to be in the Dalai Lama's camp and deny themselves and others a great Protector.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:42:39 PM »
Dagyab Rinpoche once was the great translator Loden Sherab. And Loden sherab brought Setrab chen to Tibet.

Setrab rescued Dorje Shudgen when the Mindroling Lamas were trying to destroy Dorje Shugden. So In the thangka of Dorje Shugden Setrab appeared in the mandala of Dorje Shugden. As far as many are concerned Setrab and Dorje Shugden are working together. So dagyab rinpoche little speech about Dorje SHugden probabaly broght more benefit than disbenefits.

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »
I think Dagyab Rinpoche is very polite and honest about his practice. He said he has the same thoughts as the Dalai Lama but he didn't say he stopped and he also didn't condemn Dorje Shugden in any other way. I think it is very clear that Dagyab Rinpoche is treading a fine political line and has decided to keep samaya intact by appearing to be on the side of the Dalai Lama while keeping his samaya and practice intact. He has not claimed to have given up the practice, that his Gurus were wrong or anything else. He just said that he has the same thoughts. Very skillful. Even if he does not practice Dorje Shugden, he is gracious enough not to condemn Dorje Shugden or the practitioners. I would deduce that he probably have some unspoken obligations to speak in this manner. We will never really understand the obligations, samayas and pressures that the High Lamas have on this matter.

dsiluvu

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 09:47:11 PM »
It's sad to read this and to see Lamas like Dagyab Rinpoche being pushed to such a situation to safe guard the monastery and also to stop divisive, schismatic speech that can cause harm. I think Rinpoche is being "politically" correct so that He does not get the monastery and His students in to trouble.

It is disheartening that the ban has caused so much disunity and forcing so many to bend towards HHDL's ban on Dorje Shugden! But the fact is this issue is no longer just the Tibetans, it affects everyone all around the world!

eyesoftara

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 08:30:22 AM »
I think Dagyab Rinpoche has not in any way spoken badly about Dorje Shugden. He even admitted to having practiced the Protector but follow the Dalai Lama. If he is still practicing, he certainly do not say so as the issue is that Dro-Phen Ling is associated with Gaden Shartse. It is interesting that he associated strongly with Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche who is the root Guru of most Shudgen Lamas. This to me is a positive sign that he may still be practicing.

Overall, he is just trying to be politically correct.

icy

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »
The (existing) Gaden Shartse monks are pure practitioners, ascertained by the Dalai Lama himself. They have nothing to do with Dorje Shugden.

The underlying statement made by Dagyab Kyabgon Rinpoche clearly implied that Gaden Shartse monks are pure for not practising Dorje Shugden and those monks who are practising Dorje Shugden are impure.  Hence Dorje Shugden is bad as they made Shugden monks impure?

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 07:09:40 AM »
If Dagyap Rinpoche is being politically correct, he could have said all he had said but instead of saying, "But after some time, he (His Holiness Dalai Lama) was knowledgeable enough to know that this (practice) is inaccurate and should be stopped.", he could have said "But after some time, he (His Holiness Dalai Lama) decided that this (practice) is inaccurate and should be stopped." Perhaps by saying how knowledgeable HH Dalai Lama is, Dagyap Rinpoche is kissing a** but i think it wasn't necessary. If he believed Dorje Shugden is a Buddha but just wanted to stay in HH Dalai Lama's good books, he could have given a commentary similar to Lama Zopa's where Lama Zopa unequivocally says that his gurus were NOT wrong.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 11:07:19 AM »
I suspect they just want to separate Dharma brothers and sisters. This is really not nice. This is not the way to behave as Dharma practitioners.

We all would not want to suffer. We all want happiness. Hence, everyone, especially all Dharma practitioners should work together, and not separately.

I guess Rinpoche do not meant what he was saying. Yes, we are in fact all should work together and spread Buddhism to the world and concentrate on the practice of tantra and sutra. If we might do so, to be religiously free and just to be a student of our gurus whose kept their promises to their guru's guru since the time of Lama Tsongkhapa. We just wanted to be a student who will never abandon ship simply because we have faith and analysis the truth and do not follow blindly.

christine V

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 01:52:09 PM »
Dagyab Kyabgon Rinpoche's talks on Dorje Shugden is quite straight forward pin point to the point that the ban were from Dalai Lama.

How sad! This ban have really causes destroyed more than build. Dagyab Rinpoche instead of talking on Dharma only, Rinpoche have to do this clarification to clear this politic matter. 

Dalai Lama known to have clairvoyance , can a High Lama who have clairvoyance do not know that Dorje shugden is a protector or an evil from beginning? What is the real intention on this ban?

Manjushri

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 02:53:54 PM »
Well, it is a nice, politically correct speech from Kyabgon Rinpoche. He is entitled to his stance, and I am glad he doesn't ask people to stop. It is just whether you want to follow His Holiness or not.

Funny how he says that His Holiness was knowledgeable enough to know that this practise was inaccurate. So all of His Holiness's previous lives practising this practise wasn't knowledgeable enough? They were all practising an incorrect and inaccurate practise? If so, then how come the 6th Dalai Lama reincarnated when the 5th Dalai Lama was a strong practitioner of Dorje Shugden?

Doesn't make sense to me. Well, I guess Kyabgon Rinpoche is trying to protect his centre and Gaden Shartse to come up with his statements.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
Setrab who is one with Amithabha chose to help Dorje Shugden, one can see the thangkas of the Dorje Shudgen mandalas, Setrap is in it and for 350 years ++, no Gelug lama has ever said this was wrong for hundreds of years. 

If an enlightened being chooses to help Dorje Shugden, that shows the level of Dorje Shugden. His Eminence is a heavyweight amongst the Gelug hierarchy, and before that was the time when he brought Setrap chen, so if it is good enough for Setrab surely it is good enough for all of us .  Why would an enlightened protector, protect an unenlightened protector?