Author Topic: Tibet: Three Monasteries Shut Down  (Read 9292 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Tibet: Three Monasteries Shut Down
« on: January 14, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
I am just curious - the Rabten monastery which was closed down according to this article - is that monastery related to Ven Geshe Rabten, whose current incarnation is now in Switzerland and staying at Rabten Choeling http://www.rabten.eu/eventsSwiss_de.htm?

I would presume that Rabten monastery would be a Dorje Shugden monastery since Ven Geshe Rabten's previous and current incarnations are Dorje Shugden practitioners. As such, i had thought that the Chinese authorities were supportive of Dorje Shugden monasteries, so I was curious if this Rabten monastery was a Dorje Shugden monastery.

Many thanks for any additional info.

Tibet: Three Monasteries Shut Down
http://www.unpo.org/article/16748

Three Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in Eastern Tibet have been shut down by Chinese authorities, as control over monastic communities by the Chinese police increases. 

Sources coming out of Tibet say, Chinese authorities have shut-down three Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in Driru County, Kham Region of eastern Tibet, where monks are forced to leave and re-launched a new wave of 'patriotic re-education.

According to the sources, 'the shut-down occurred after Chinese paramilitary police surrounded them for weeks, where local Tibetans have resisted forced displays of loyalty imposed by the Chinese government.'

"Monasteries in Driru (Chinese: Biru, Naqu prefecture , Tibet Autonomous Region) county such as Dron-na, Tarmoe, and Rabten have reportedly been shut-down by the authorities in December," a Tibetan living in exile said, citing sources in the region.

The incident happened as Chinese military police were re-launching and strengthening the "patriotic re-education" campaign in the county while screening for dissident monks and imposing restrictions on the activities in the monastic communities.

Sources said that "a senior monk was arrested by Chinese police after Dron-na closure. All rooms of the monastery were sealed off on December 26 and police later issued an order forbidding any monks to return their monastery," sources added.

The situation in Driru county remained tense after a failed attempt by the authorities to fly Chinese national flag from Tibetans' homes, caused severe crackdowns.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
Re: Tibet: Three Monasteries Shut Down
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:24:12 AM »
This is rather surprising for the Chinese officials to shut down 3  monasteries that practices Dorje Shugden, while they have supported the 10th Panchen Lama to spread the practice of Dorje Shugden all over China. What did it mean by the Chinese officials to launch the "patriotic education" unless the sangha community in these 3 monasteries resisted certain attempts to abide to the law or rules there? Did the sangha there misbehaved or did the Chinese officials wanted something else in those areas? 

dsiluvu

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:39:25 PM »
Yes this is surprising news... wonder what it is that made the Chinese shut them down? I wonder if there is any Tibetans here that could shed some light on this??

I do have a hunch it has something to do with the CTA and HHDL speech during the Lamrim discourse and perhaps yeah maybe some of the monks there aren't so bright and created some trouble which lead to the cause for them to shut down? I doubt very much it has anything to do with Dorje Shudgen.

gbds3jewels

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:54:50 AM »
There is another theory that's been brewing round the corner with all the happenings in Tibet. New age spiritual movement groups have been speculating that the Earth's kundalini, the spiritual navel of the world is leaving Tibet and crawling across the continents to Lake Titicaca. It is said this has begun when The Dalai Lama was exiled from Tibet. Perhaps as the Earth's kundalini shifts, Tibet will lose more and more of its spiritual hold hence closing down of monasteries, monasteries being destroyed, spiritual cultures degenerating, etc.

It was said that Mt Kailash was the previous Earth's kundalini. This is a sacred and holy mountain for many beliefs. The Aztech, the Mayan and the Inca are among one of the world's most ancient wisdom and spiritual dwellers. Perhaps all the various religions and beliefs in the world is of the same source and conspiring to the same goal and law. We are but a pawn in this game. The DS ban perhaps is just a dot in this grand master scheme.

xyz_generation

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 06:27:24 PM »
I personally don't think the reason of shutting down these 3  Dorje Shugden monasteries have anything to do with  Dorje Shugden. The reasons behind my statement is that, Dorje Shugden practice has been BAN before this and if there are still practicing Dorje Shugden, CTA will shut all 3 monasteries first before the Chinese Government. Furthermore, Dorje Shugden practice will not shorten the life of any single Chinese in Mainland China, so why should they ???

Q

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 06:43:55 PM »
It does not matter whether it is a DS monastery or not to the Chinese. The Chinese will only be on friendly terms with the monastery as long as it serves their purpose in helping them keep the peace in the region and also that the Tibetans dont make any more trouble for them than they already have.

The closing of the monasteries is due to political reasons, and the Chinese know that spirituality is very much the centre of the Tibetan's life, so they cripple the very thing that is important to the Tibetans. So it's due to the Tibetan's silliness of not cooperating with the Chinese government that lead to the closure of their monasteries. But it would be very interesting to know if they still practiced DS or given up the practice.

Very sad... too bad DS practitioners always fall victim to politics.

Q

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 06:48:22 PM »
This is rather surprising for the Chinese officials to shut down 3  monasteries that practices Dorje Shugden, while they have supported the 10th Panchen Lama to spread the practice of Dorje Shugden all over China. What did it mean by the Chinese officials to launch the "patriotic education" unless the sangha community in these 3 monasteries resisted certain attempts to abide to the law or rules there? Did the sangha there misbehaved or did the Chinese officials wanted something else in those areas?

China uses religion as a tool. If it can benefit them and keep the people in line, they will praise and even fund the monastery etc. But when it doesnt serve them any purpose, then they will get rid of it.

The issue started with the Tibetan locals that refuse to show their allegiance with the local government. Then ofcourse there's the evaluation on the monastery. Obviously the monastery did not do anything wrong, but we're talking about politics here... even if you're right, without influence, you can receive unfair treatment. 

Manjushri

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 07:55:12 PM »
I guess politics will always rule over religion. Self gain will always rule over what is good for the public. What I see from reading this article is that control and power are the main factors here. Exactly what I meant when I read this:

"Sources coming out of Tibet say, Chinese authorities have shut-down three Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in Driru County, Kham Region of eastern Tibet, where monks are forced to leave and re-launched a new wave of 'patriotic re-education."

They want to re-educate the monks, and the people, so that whatever it is, it will suit their needs and wants eventually. I guess it is sad that monasteries are shut down for patriotic and political reasons.... its' destroying the homes of these monks..where will they go to? How can the officials just shut down people's homes, kick them out and let them survive? It's not nice. Sigh.

Matibhadra

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 12:34:46 AM »
China uses religion as a tool. If it can benefit them and keep the people in line, they will praise and even fund the monastery etc.

Which is precisely what every single king supporting Buddhism in history did. There is no reason to single out “the Chinese“ as though in order to demonize them as “evil“.

But when it doesnt serve them any purpose, then they will get rid of it.

I cannot see why Buddhism would not serve China's legitimate purposes. Buddhism is in harmony with every legitimate purpose. Now, if China's purposes would be to deliver the country to bloodsucking mining, water, biotech, bankster, pharma, food, tobacco, and the such companies, plus allowing for aggressive extremist terrorist Christian and Muslim conversion tactics, plus bombing the country with drones, dividing it according to sectarian lines, inciting sectarian rift, destroying the people with heroine, cocaine, and the such, then such purposes would indeed be illegitimate -- but those are the purposes only of the evil dalai's sponsors, and therefore of the evil dalai himself, not of China as mass media hatred propaganda wants you to believe.

wang

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 01:52:01 AM »
It's surprising that so many comments made based on #1:  'I would presume that Rabten monastery would be a Dorje Shugden monastery since Ven Geshe Rabten's previous and current incarnations are Dorje Shugden practitioners.' , which is obviously a wrong statement.

Plesae have a look at Geshe Rabten's biography which is freely available on web.  Geshe Rabten got ordained only after walking to Sera Je from his hometown close to Dhargey Monastery in Kham (I suppose it is Dhargey Monastery in Ganzhi, but not 100% sure, and I am not sure whether the current Dhargey Rinpoche in Germany is related to it either..), so  'Rabten Monastery' in the news is not related to 'Geshe Rabten' or current 'Rabten Rinpoche' , simply by the name 'Rabten Monastery' cannot deduce that it is an DS monastery, unless there is other input.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 08:25:55 AM »
It does not matter whether it is a DS monastery or not to the Chinese. The Chinese will only be on friendly terms with the monastery as long as it serves their purpose in helping them keep the peace in the region and also that the Tibetans dont make any more trouble for them than they already have.

The closing of the monasteries is due to political reasons, and the Chinese know that spirituality is very much the centre of the Tibetan's life, so they cripple the very thing that is important to the Tibetans. So it's due to the Tibetan's silliness of not cooperating with the Chinese government that lead to the closure of their monasteries. But it would be very interesting to know if they still practiced DS or given up the practice.

Very sad... too bad DS practitioners always fall victim to politics.

I somewhat share your perspective, but disagree on the point of their motivation. Yes as long as it serves their purpose BUT remember that:

1) everybody wants peace
2) the TIbetans seem to be the ones making the problems
3) the Chinese are the ones sending lamas all around Tibet to teach, allowing for people to gather in their thousands (previously disallowed), paying for the regeneration of the monasteries and the lot

At this moment in time, it would appear the Chinese are the ones promoting religious freedoms, over and above the Tibetans. Which is less deceptive, the one who wears maroon and pretends to represent the colours, or the one who wears the CCP uniform and is true to their reputation?

Dont get me wrong, I do not agree with Chinese abuses of human rights, just as much as I disagree with TIBETAN abuses of human rights. But you say that the Chinese cripple what is important to the Tibetans. However since 1996, the Tibetans have been doing it to themselves so what China is doing, is now nothing new.

Big Uncle

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 10:52:06 AM »
There is another theory that's been brewing round the corner with all the happenings in Tibet. New age spiritual movement groups have been speculating that the Earth's kundalini, the spiritual navel of the world is leaving Tibet and crawling across the continents to Lake Titicaca. It is said this has begun when The Dalai Lama was exiled from Tibet. Perhaps as the Earth's kundalini shifts, Tibet will lose more and more of its spiritual hold hence closing down of monasteries, monasteries being destroyed, spiritual cultures degenerating, etc.

It was said that Mt Kailash was the previous Earth's kundalini. This is a sacred and holy mountain for many beliefs. The Aztech, the Mayan and the Inca are among one of the world's most ancient wisdom and spiritual dwellers. Perhaps all the various religions and beliefs in the world is of the same source and conspiring to the same goal and law. We are but a pawn in this game. The DS ban perhaps is just a dot in this grand master scheme.

You have the most 'interesting' theory here that stands out beyond the other political reasons for closure of Tibet. Actually, Mt Kailash is considered one of the 24 holiest sites in Tantra as it is believed to be where Lord Heruka Chakrasamvara and his entourage of Dakas and Dakinis reside. I am not sure if the Dalai Lama moving out Tibet caused Heruka and entourage to pack their bags. But I am still quite fascinated with your theory.

Anyway, I think that Rabten monastery being closed down has got nothing to do with their Protector practice. And the fact that the Chinese are really more concern is with errant dissident monks. The monastery may or may not be practicing Dorje Shugden but the reason for the closure was probably something purely political like what some of the people here had already deduced.

fruven

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 02:54:56 PM »
It's pretty sad state for these monks and nuns. Where are they staying now? How many of them are displaced from the monasteries? In my opinion this is kind of extreme in how the monks and nuns are treated. There is no tolerance whatsoever in dealing with the situation. The monks and nuns are treated like illegal immigrants where immigrants who stay in makeshift home are evicted on the grounds of occupying private/public properties. The monks and nuns here evicted on the grounds of?

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 05:29:27 AM »
The shutdown if true has nothing to do with the practice of the monasteries. It is purely politically reasons. The Chinese are very particular about loyalty to the country. They must have reasons to believe that the monks in these monasteries do not support the Chinese Government. Perhaps they openly support the Dalai Lama or are perceived to be so.

In my humble opinion, just like the best way to help sentient beings is to achieve buddhahood, the best way for these monks to serve practitioners is to abide by the laws of the country.

With folded hands.

Matibhadra

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 08:42:50 PM »
It's pretty sad state for these monks and nuns.

I completely agree. Instead of devoting their precious human rebirths to achieve liberation and enlightenment for the sake of all sentient beings, they were trapped into dirty politics, into fighting for the restoration of a medieval witch-hunting theocracy at the service of foreign predatory Jewish-Christian barbarian colonialists, all under the influence of the Western puppet the evil dalie lame. Therefore, the Chinese authorities, although unwittingly, are performing the noble function of showing to such degenerate monks and nuns that they should leave politics aside and concentrate on their Dharma commitments.