Author Topic: The instant animosity towards Shugdenpas  (Read 14383 times)

honeydakini

The instant animosity towards Shugdenpas
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:57:54 AM »
I've recently joined a Vajrayana Buddhist group on Facebook and am shocked at how vitriolic it has become.
here it is: http://www.facebook.com/groups/5488554612/
(check out one of the top posts by Kate about a praise that the Dalai Lama had written to Dorje Shugden).

I am fortunate to be within a very loving Buddhist community which is very kind and very tolerant, so perhaps I have sheltered! I forget sometimes how much hatred there is outside towards Dorje Shugden practitioners, that it has even spilled over into Facebook.

This is what baffles me most about the Shugden issue - that we call ourselves Buddhists, which means that we should, in theory, live the principles of kindness, tolerance, patience, giving, empathy and compassion. We talk about helping all mother sentient beings - it's in every of our prayers, no matter what tradition we're from. There are prayers like the 4 immeasurables, all our dedication prayers which talks about helping all beings, the 8 verses of thought transformation which teaches us to see the most difficult people as jewels. We are taught to generate loving kindness in our meditations, for all sentient beings and we talk very passionately about helping animals and spirits and fellow humans who don't have the means or opportunities to practice.

But these same Buddhists, proclaiming these same teaching of loving kindness and compassion, turn away Shugdenpas. They get angry, almost if you even mention Dorje Shugden and then all the intolerance, hatred, resentment comes out. It seems like every sentient being deserves kindness and the Dharma.... except Dorje Shugden practitioners. That's the bottom line, isn't it?

Really, if we were truly, real practitioners, shouldn't we be all the more kind to the people we perceive as being harmful? If we understand karma and its effects, and we knew someone was engaging in something that was supposedly "wrong and harmful", wouldn't we want to extend help to them even more so that we can lessen the harm they will experience or bring them onto a "correct" path? Why should we become even more angry towards them? and try to push them away? Is is loving kindness or Buddhist to turn people away and allow them to create more negativity (if that's actually what you believe that they are doing)

It's just really sad that Buddhist practice has become like this now, so selective and exclusive, as if it's only for a privileged few

Big Uncle

Re: The instant animosity towards Shugdenpas
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 06:31:55 AM »
I know and that's what this ban on Dorje Shugden is doing. It weeds out the real practitioners from those that are doing it for convenience or have very flimsy faith in the lineage and lama. This would be very bad for them and I believed someone said that the Protector proclaimed that he would not be easily destroyed by fire, drowning and so forth.

There would be many who would return to apologize to me because they had abandoned their practice. Dorje Shugden is not proud but was as a matter of fact. I think that many would be shamed in the end because they had acted so harshly on Dorje Shugden practitioners, on Dorje Shugden himself or even on the lamas who remained firm on their practice. That would be their day of reckoning and Dorje Shugden would still embrace them like the Bodhisattva that he is. However, their karma would not be so forgiving though.                                                                                                                                                           

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 06:38:25 AM »

Really, if we were truly, real practitioners, shouldn't we be all the more kind to the people we perceive as being harmful? If we understand karma and its effects, and we knew someone was engaging in something that was supposedly "wrong and harmful", wouldn't we want to extend help to them even more so that we can lessen the harm they will experience or bring them onto a "correct" path? Why should we become even more angry towards them? and try to push them away? Is is loving kindness or Buddhist to turn people away and allow them to create more negativity (if that's actually what you believe that they are doing)

It's just really sad that Buddhist practice has become like this now, so selective and exclusive, as if it's only for a privileged few

Isn't that the irony? That those who oppose Dorje Shugden claim to be true practitioners of the Dharma and yet they display such anger and unrestrained hatred towards Shugdenpas merely for not sharing in their belief. How can the practice of Dharma lead to this? Isn't Dharma supposed to help us reduce this poison? The primary idea behind practicing Dharma is to gain enlightenment which we all know cannot be accomplished without acquiring Bodhicitta and realization of Emptiness.

In his book, "Illuminating the Path to Enlightenment" His Holiness the Dalai Lama wrote that when practitioners of Mahayana Buddhism develop an “extraordinary sense of responsibility” to free all sentient beings of suffering, it leads to realization of Bodhicitta. Developing the profound compassion and commitment to rid others of their suffering is “the heart essence of all the teachings of the Buddha.” Therefore, according to the Dalai Lama himself, if indeed the practice of Shugden is itself harmful and will send the practitioner to the lower realms, then shouldn't helping Shugdenpas be considered an accumulation of merit or good karma, an enlightened activity that should give these people a sense of contentment and joy. How is it that these people are displaying the opposite of what Dharma is supposed to do in us, and indeed what the Dalai Lama himself has advised?

Just looking at the various responses of those who are against the Shugden practice and comparing the tone and substance to the responses from Shugdenpas, it is quite easy to see who is practicing compassion, tolerance and kindess under difficult circumstances. From there, we have to seriously query how a supposed "evil spirit" can teach and guide his practitioners to become good Buddhist?

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 06:47:49 AM »
i must say i was quite shocked to find such animosity at this facebook page, but what really horrified me was the lack of open-mindedness. Immediately i was pigeonholed into an NKT person and while i have nothing against the NKT, i do object to being said to be something i am not. Actually i found out later that Carol, one of the most angry people on the thread, is an ex-NKT person. I have no idea what happened to her but i feel sad that she has become so bitter and angry, yet still consider herself a Vajrayana buddhist. Buddha said that Buddhism would be destroyed from within and this kind of interaction is sad proof that Buddha will be right.

Anyway, it is easiest if you go and read the thread yourself and if you like, add in your tuppence worth!

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:34:54 AM »
After reading that really long thread, it is quite disturbing. Disturbing to know that some of the more knowledgable Tibetan Buddhist practitioners in the west spout nonsense without thinking or proof. To me, people who seem to have a bone to pick with Dorje Shugden actually looks more like they are just looking for something to blame for their problems and pain. NKT is a huge organization, and being a huge organization, there is bound to have a few people who have misunderstandings with them and have a fallout with them and have gotten hurt and they find it convenient to blame Dorje Shugden for it. I have had a read on some of the comments and it seems that most of the people who claim that Dorje Shugden is bad, they seem to give either very weak reasons or very muddled reasons that does not have any proof to support. It is just something that they think they're right just because they think it is. I actually feel sad for some of them because they just want to find something to focus their hatred on. Interesting, but at the same time, sad.

dsiluvu

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
i must say i was quite shocked to find such animosity at this facebook page, but what really horrified me was the lack of open-mindedness. Immediately i was pigeonholed into an NKT person and while i have nothing against the NKT, i do object to being said to be something i am not. Actually i found out later that Carol, one of the most angry people on the thread, is an ex-NKT person. I have no idea what happened to her but i feel sad that she has become so bitter and angry, yet still consider herself a Vajrayana buddhist. Buddha said that Buddhism would be destroyed from within and this kind of interaction is sad proof that Buddha will be right.

Anyway, it is easiest if you go and read the thread yourself and if you like, add in your tuppence worth!

Wisdom Being I read the thread... I cannot believe how Buddhist can be so arrogant and some what bitter.. well this is my reply to them which I am sure I am gonna be shot down for but who cares.... life is short...

I am not from NKT but I am a Dorje Shugden practitioner and damn bloody proud of it because well so far Dorje Shugden have given me so much... he's saved my life a few times now and well my faith in Dharma has never been stronger! Thank you Kate Walker for this prayer... it has been a sadhana I do daily.

I wonder why is it that we call ourselves Buddhist if we discriminate so much.. so shameful... it really paints a horrible image and I guess this is what Buddha means by Buddhism will degenerate from within... sad

I think they like to put us in this NKT nutshell cos NKT is huge and has been very aggressive in the beginning when they were protesting. Well it is time for us to correct them in a kind way... hey Dorje Shugden practitioners are not all from NKT... there are so many other Lamas and great Masters!

Zach

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 09:11:46 PM »
Why bother with them? its unnecessary provocation.  :)

Lineageholder

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 11:08:39 PM »
I totally agree with Zach - why provoke them? I'm sorry to say that, although you may entertain ideas that the Dalai Lama's ban has done some good, this Facebook page reveals the real, ugly schismatic truth.

I think it would be better to stay away from Dalai Lama supporters. - who are all, almost exclusively anti-Shugden - if you practise Dorje Shugden, otherwise you're guilty of provoking them. Just do your own practice and don't try to evangelise where your efforts are not appreciated.

Zach

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 11:32:43 PM »
I totally agree with Zach - why provoke them? I'm sorry to say that, although you may entertain ideas that the Dalai Lama's ban has done some good, this Facebook page reveals the real, ugly schismatic truth.

I think it would be better to stay away from Dalai Lama supporters. - who are all, almost exclusively anti-Shugden - if you practise Dorje Shugden, otherwise you're guilty of provoking them. Just do your own practice and don't try to evangelise where your efforts are not appreciated.

Truth be told ! ^

You cannot expect to sway these practitioners in opinion even Namdrol/Malcom Smith has pretty much given up arguing these thing for the same reason, It is a waste of energy and time better spent on practice and spreading Dharma ! :)

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 03:28:56 AM »
I wouldnt really say that this is intended provocation, because inside that group are many other Buddhists who join to learn and they would be able to learn a thing or two about Dorje Shugden. Also, i dont know if it is just me or anyone else who realize that the Dorje Shugden detractors sound very unbuddhist and and they tend to use a lot of complex terms and big words to justify their hate for Dorje Shugden. Anyone who reads those comments would feel if they are such high level practitioners, why would they be posting such things? I mean, people have their own minds and they can tell the difference between what is right and wrong and people should be allowed to do so to learn both sides about Dorje Shugden, without bias.

beggar

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 11:23:50 AM »
While I agree that it isn't necessary to provoke reactions from these people, I think it is also important to be a voice on a platform like this. There are the more aggressive and belligerent types, but there are also many other voices that are moderate, or simply silent readers who are reading and learning. It's important to "argue" not for the sake of arguing but to present a good, fair, accurate perspective and to defend our faith in a way that is not aggressive, but peaceful and just.

This serves a two-fold purpose:
1. to make sure that wrong information is corrected and that we provide accurate, good knowledge to the publc.

2. be proud of our faith and excellent examples of Shugden practitioners. Prove that Dorje Shugden practitioners are not aggressive, not harmful and do not carry bad intentions.

There are those few that may fight back and do everything they can to put us down, but there are many more who are silently watching and will be able to see clearly what each person (or each side) is saying. Represent Shudgen in a strong yet fair and gentle way. That is the best revelation of the real power and compassion of this practice and lineage.

Benny

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »
We are really lucky we are not as "important" as His Holiness Trijang Rinpoche or Gangchen Rinpoche and the other High Lamas , OTHERWISE it would not be verbal insults or harsh words that we would be dodging, But "Death Threats" ! Just imagine the feeling of having a Death decreed on you !? It is worst than having a price on your head , especially if it is a fanatical religious decree , just like what we commonly hear of from Radical muslim extremist. It is NOT about the money.

This is really disturbing , to see that Buddhism is not free from such "religious" fanaticism , despite being known the world over as peaceful religion .The prove that this threat on the lamas life are real is just by looking at all the hate on the blog towards, just normal Buddhist practitioners. 

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 05:08:52 AM »
I always believe that people should have the right to learn both sides of the story and not just only one side, and obviously the "mainstream" Buddhists only have one side of the story. Also, everyone knows innately how people should behave and how they should not behave. If the anti Shugdenpas readily show everyone their hate and their distaste for Dorje Shugden in a very unsubtle and rough manner, people reading their posts would know instantly that they're not good representatives of the Dharma because many Buddhists in other traditions who are not in Vajrayana concur that they rather leave the topic of Dorje Shugden alone rather than speak up or challenge. So, people are not blind...at least not everyone.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »
This a real reflection of beings in this degenerate age. Even when one has the 18 opportune conditions which is rare and precious and chance upon Vajrayana, the highest and quickest form of Buddhism, one can still disparage  other Gurus or even their own. They claim this is the age for "inner Guru". Practice on their own. Sad. There are no world champions who practice on their own in case one do not notice.
On top of it, these people develop animosity towards other Buddhists which is the biggest paradox of them all. Even, supposedly practitioners who have "Great Scope" aspirations of achieving Buddhahood develop animosity towards others. I just feel very sad. Can't help but ask myself, what can I do to help them except to continue with my practice and dedicate the merits to them.

kris

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 04:09:01 PM »
I guess this kind of patterns towards someone we don't like are almost the same in all religions. Many Christians wants to spread the compassion and love of Jesus, but when someone who is LGBT, suddenly the compassion is gone. Same as how some people treated Dorje Shugden practitioners.

Like Beggar said, platforms such as this forum are important to spread Dharma without hatred and anger.

There is a saying in Buddhism, where even a person has performed hideous acts such as killing, if he is willing to let go of his knife, he has a chance to be a Buddha. Why can't we all have this kind of compassion?