Author Topic: Dalai Lama, concert to highlight upstate NY event  (Read 3183 times)

icy

Dalai Lama, concert to highlight upstate NY event
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:32:18 AM »
SYRACUSE, N.Y. — Tickets are going on sale for an appearance by the Dalai Lama and a related concert in central New York.

Syracuse University says it's hosting the two-day "Common Ground for Peace" event on Oct. 8 and 9 featuring the exiled spiritual leader of Tibet. Among those joining him are Nobel Peace Laureate Mohamed ElBaradei (ehl-BEHR'-uh-day); human rights advocate Martin Luther King III; former Central Intelligence Agency head R. James Woolsey, Jr.; and former U.N. ambassador Andrew Young.

The Carrier Dome concert also features some big names. Among those scheduled are Dave Matthews, Counting Crows, Nas, Swizz Beatz, Cyndi Lauper, Engelbert Humperdinck, Roberta Flack, David Crosby and Nelly Furtado.

Tickets covering both days are priced from $35 to $55. They're available through Ticketmaster and the Carrier Dome box office starting at 10 a.m. Monday.

icy

Re: Dalai Lama, concert to highlight upstate NY event
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:33:59 AM »

Music veteran and Eurovision entry Engelbert Humperdinck has been chosen to perform for Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama.

The 76-year-old has been added to a bill including acts such as Nelly Furtado, Cyndi Lauper and Roberta Flack for the New York show next month.

Humperdinck was a huge chart star in the 1960s, although his surprise inclusion as the UK's Eurovision entry at the contest in Azerbaijan this year proved to be a spectacular flop.
He will be performing at the Dalia Lama Love Concert on October 9.

Humperdinck said: "I am often known as the King of Romance and my whole life has been spent singing about love.

"The Dalai Lama, however, is a true embodiment of love and I am honoured to perform in his presence.
"This will be an amazing show and a highlight of my career."

Co-incidently Humperdinck was born in India where the Dalai Lama lives.