Author Topic: CTA's paranoia  (Read 8448 times)

Ensapa

• Email
CTA's paranoia
« on: August 02, 2012, 11:10:30 AM »
I came across this article today and I am very shocked. What if the 63 year old "spy" happens to be a real nun or a real sincere practitioner who just wanted to practice Buddhism and not a spy? Why do they treat so harshly a 63 year old lady? Why is the CTA so afraid of spies if they are confident that what they are doing now and the direction they are heading to is the right one? Every other country is afraid of spies, but I dont think they are to this level of paranoia.

What do you guys think? Is CTA's behavior Buddhist? Could they have handled it better?

Chinese woman claiming to be nun arrested
Vibhor Mohan
Tribune News Service

Kunchok Chamo, a Chinese woman who claims to be a nun, comes out of the police station in Dharamsala after she was arrested on Friday.

Dharamsala, July 22
A 63-year-old Chinese woman, who claims to be a Tibetan nun, has been arrested by the district police from the Dolma Ling monastery, near here, last evening.

Even though a case has been registered against her under the Foreigners’ Act for not having the required documents, like passport and visa, the possibility of her being a Chinese spy keeping an eye on the activities of the Dalai Lama and Karmapa is not being ruled out.

Identified as Kunchok Chamo, the woman had been keen on meeting the Dalai Lama and Karmapa but did not get an audience till now.

According to the police, she had been deported to China in 2004 for staying in India without visa sanction.

Superintendent of Police Ajay Yadav told The Tribune that investigations were still on and it would be too premature to draw a conclusion about her being a Chinese spy. She had been deported once but came back through Nepal. “She claims she came here for spiritual purpose,” he said.

Since she cannot speak English, the police is using an interpreter for questioning her about her motives.

A local court here today sent her in police remand till July 25.

There has, however, been no reaction from the Tibetan government-in-exile. When contacted, an official said Dolma Ling was an NGO and did not come directly under the central Tibetan administration. The Dolma Ling authorities, meanwhile, said even though they do proper registration of the nuns staying in the monastery, the formalities were not completed in her case as her name had been referred to them by another department.

Meanwhile, there have been unconfirmed reports in McLeodganj, where the official residence of Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama is located, about Chinese spy keeping an eye on his activities while staying there as tourists or monks.

dsiluvu

Re: CTA's paranoia
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Yes the CTA definitely is paranoid and they should be given the amount of negativeness they have created for themselves. Now they will have to live watching their backs forever... always suspicious of some spy. Not skillful at all for a Buddhist nation that prides themselve on spirituality actually.

I mean didn't Buddha and all the saints in this world ask us to practice compassion, forgiveness and love thy enemy... though I can kinda understand how hard that could be. So why not change their strategy and be nice if spiritual autonomy and not independence is what they are asking for now... though this is clearly not happening as we can see with the "FREE TIBET" here and there... it definite not gonna help create a warm relationship with China that is for sure.

Big Uncle

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 08:05:47 AM »
Well, China is rich and bored so they hired a bunch of inept spies to infiltrate the CTA and the Dalai Lama's inner circle to see what does he have up his maroon robes. I believe the Chinese don't really have any further intention than to monitor his movements so that he doesn't try to plan or incite any more self-immolations in China. What else can the Dalai Lama do? The Chinese is just wary and they believe the Dalai Lama is behind the string of self-immolations that plagued the Tibetan regions of China.

I believe the Chinese will not plan or execute any assassination attempts because the Dalai Lama is not young and it is a matter of time before the inevitable happens. I do believe that the Chinese are preparing for that day gleefully because they know that any notion of Tibetan independence will die along with him. The Chinese are just waiting for that to happen.

bambi

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:41:41 AM »
Well, China is rich and bored so they hired a bunch of inept spies to infiltrate the CTA and the Dalai Lama's inner circle to see what does he have up his maroon robes. I believe the Chinese don't really have any further intention than to monitor his movements so that he doesn't try to plan or incite any more self-immolations in China. What else can the Dalai Lama do? The Chinese is just wary and they believe the Dalai Lama is behind the string of self-immolations that plagued the Tibetan regions of China.

I believe the Chinese will not plan or execute any assassination attempts because the Dalai Lama is not young and it is a matter of time before the inevitable happens. I do believe that the Chinese are preparing for that day gleefully because they know that any notion of Tibetan independence will die along with him. The Chinese are just waiting for that to happen.

True Big Uncle. I don't believe that China sent the spies to assassinate HHDL but rather watch Him like a hawk and see what HHDL have been up to or planning. It is actually quite sad on the other hand to know that China is just waiting for HHDL to pass on so that they can elect their own future DL?? ??? I always wondered what will happen the day HHDL is no longer around... What will happen to CTA and all its glory?  :o

And I pity the nun whom I hope is okay.

Can you imagine going on a pilgrimage but you got detained because they 'think' that you are a spy? Then what about the Chinese people who goes to see HHDL? Arrest all of them because they could be spies?  :-[

brian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 01:43:18 PM »
A 63 year old elderly a spy for the Chinese Government?? Well, what is new in this modern world really. It seems to me that anything can happen these days. Perhaps a young boy will also be a Chinese spy. Please forgive my words but i do believe this is too much. Now that they have spies all over Dalai Lama while on the other hand strongly promoting their own elected Panchen Lama, some brand Him as a 'fake' one. Aren't all these happenings have become too political? I beg to everyone please come to their senses and probably should just focus on one's spiritual development rather than political power or selfish desire.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »
There are also some very obvious and interesting points to consider as well:

1) if the spy was chinese, why did she have a tibetan name instead? where is her chinese name?
2) nowhere in the article did they say on how they discovered that she is a spy. Perhaps, she got the short end of the stick with her power struggles in the nunnery and was accused as such by her detractors for her to be in trouble? This kind of methods are often used by Tibetan politicians in the past to get rid of their enemies and now, being accused as a chinese spy is a deep insult and also equals to treason.

If China really wanted spies, all they had to do was bribe one or two disgruntled CTA officers (oh, I am sure there are many!) and they will be able to get whatever information that they want about the Dalai Lama and CTA. To be honest, I doubt China could care less about CTA or Dharamsala as they lack the resources to do anything to China. Aside from the Dalai Lama, nobody else from the CTA can talk to China because the minute they make progress, rumors and nasty comments from the Tibetans in CTA come in and wipe away that progress. Seems that CTA does not want their independence at all. Mouth say that they want, but actions show that they could not care less and they just want something to blame for their anger and frustrations.

dsiluvu

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 09:09:20 PM »
Yes the CTA definitely is paranoid and they should be given the amount of negativeness they have created for themselves. Now they will have to live watching their backs forever... always suspicious of some spy. Not skillful at all for a Buddhist nation that prides themselve on spirituality actually.

I mean didn't Buddha and all the saints in this world ask us to practice compassion, forgiveness and love thy enemy... though I can kinda understand how hard that could be. So why not change their strategy and be nice if spiritual autonomy and not independence is what they are asking for now... though this is clearly not happening as we can see with the "FREE TIBET" here and there... it definite not gonna help create a warm relationship with China that is for sure.

Actually as Buddhist should we not be less attached... even to our country? That is the difference we see in the highly attained ones... real home... is there really such a thing?

Tammy

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 08:56:09 AM »

Actually as Buddhist should we not be less attached... even to our country? That is the difference we see in the highly attained ones... real home... is there really such a thing?

Clap Clap Clap !! Well Said.. however, this is what you and I think what religion should be and as  true Buddhists, we should walk our talk and make sure we live our life as a true blue Buddhist.. But they are countless people out there who has different agenda in mind, in the name of upholding Buddhism, they do all sorts of terrible things to others. This is a true reflection of the lack of proper understanding of the law of karma. If they understand and believe the lawa of karma, they would not do what they do onto others.

To the old lady, i just hope that this is one of the ways her nagative karma can be purified and she will not have any ill feelings towards those who treated her badly.

Down with the BAN!!!

Barzin

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 09:21:49 AM »
It sounds to me that whoever is Chinese or even speak Chinese who happened to be close to the abode of His Holiness can be a Chinese spy.  Then it made sense that CTA is way too busy to deal with his own people because they are busy catching spies. Then what do the Chinese do? Do what irritates CTA, pick up the practice of Dorje Shugden and hope to shorten His Holiness life.  So end of story.  But what happen next?  I suppose CTA will still be busy catching spies because by that time there will be lots more Chinese coming as Dorje Shugden practitioners.  I hope CTA starts to recruit more spies catcher... 

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »
Firstly, it is not unlikely for the Chinese Government to spy on the going-ons at the Dalai Lama's office and the CTA. For sure they would like to know if more "peaceful protests" are being organized like the one in 2008, or if more monks are being incited to self-immolate. Given how quickly the CTA has jumped on every self-immolation incident to criticize the Chinese and draw more support from the international community, and given how little the CTA has done to strongly discourage those acts of self sacrifice, I would not be a bit surprised if the CTA were not at least indirectly behind those protests. After all the hands of the exiled Tibetans have not exactly been clean as the following document shows:

And the last time the Dalai Lama called for a "peaceful protests"...

This was the result:

Tibet peaceful protest beijing olympic Small | Large

The CTA has for too long played the innocent victim role and if the CTA were paranoid, it would be because they themselves have so much to hide.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:53:54 PM by vajratruth »

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 05:54:55 AM »
Given how quickly the CTA has jumped on every self-immolation incident to criticize the Chinese and draw more support from the international community, and given how little the CTA has done to strongly discourage those acts of self sacrifice, I would not be a bit surprised if the CTA were not at least indirectly behind those protests. After all the hands of the exiled Tibetans have not exactly been clean.

The CTA has for too long played the innocent victim role and if the CTA were paranoid, it would be because they themselves have so much to hide.

Every country has spies in another country, and other countries have spies in their country and as long as huge things dont leak out or agreements get breached, every country just tolerates it. It's an open secret that everyone knows. so why is it that CTA is so paranoid? It's either that they are not educated in the ways of the world, or that they are not confident in themselves, or both which makes it even worse and more pathetic. The other question is, what can China do with the information? Bring CTA down in India? they cant do a thing and neither are they interested to. But it also means they have a trump card if CTA continues to misbehave, China can do something about it. It is very obvious that the hands of CTA has never been clean. Everyone (except, maybe, for the foreigners/injis who are not aware of the real Tibet and has but an idealized image of Tibet in their minds) knows that CTA is behind the self immolations but nobody talks about it. US ignores that fact because they want to use CTA as a tool to weaken China in the eyes of the world. People might be tricked for now, but they wont be that way forever.

While CTA is busy trying so hard to polish their political campaign, they forget that all that they are doing can be easily undone once news of the ban agains Dorje Shugden and what they have been doing goes out to the public. China is just being kind to not use that...yet but if CTA pushes the envelope further, I am not surprised if China decides to bomb the whole thing by exposing to the world about what they are doing to Dorje Shugden practitioners. I believe that China will use that one day if CTA goes too far with their tactics. CTA seems to forget that many Dorje Shugden Lamas are also good friends with China. All those lamas need to do to destroy CTA's image for good is to work with China to expose the ban on Dorje Shugden, and everything will go down.