Author Topic: So many questions!  (Read 3724 times)

DharmaDefender

So many questions!
« on: May 04, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »
Oldie but goodie... this article on Lama Zopa about Dorje Shugden if youve not read it already: http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect=article&id=335

Dorje Shugden   
[posted Oct 2009]
Rinpoche gave the following talk on the Dharma protector practice, Dorje Shugden. First he talked about the importance of compassion and our responsibility for leading all sentient beings to enlightenment. To do that, we need first to become enlightened ourselves. In order to do that, we have to complete the entire path to enlightenment, the root of which is guru devotion. Then Rinpoche talked about the qualities of the guru, including the ten qualities from the Abhisamayalamkara and the twenty qualities required of a tantric guru.

If you are making a new Dharma connection with a teacher, aside from the other qualities of the teacher that you should check, you should also examine the teacher to make sure that he or she is in harmony with His Holiness Dalai Lama regarding the practice of what is called döl-gyäl, the protector Shugden. Make sure that the teacher does not do this practice. These days, that is an extra analysis you should make. In that way, you’ll avoid problems in the future.

Recently, I also introduced a new guideline for the protection of the Dharma centers and their students, which is not to invite to the center teachers who do the protector practice and are therefore against His Holiness the Dalai Lama. However, this doesn’t include gurus who may have practiced the protector in the past. It doesn’t mean that they’re bad. I’m not saying that. If you have already made a Dharma connection with such teachers and you criticize them or give them up, that is totally incorrect; that is opposite to lam-rim practice. The lam-rim, sutra, and tantra teachings all explain how to practice guru devotion so that we can avoid creating such heavy negative karmas as criticizing our gurus. It’s for our benefit. Since we disciples want profit, not loss, since we aspire to achieve the highest profit, enlightenment, the complete qualities of cessation and realization, it is crucial to know how to practice guru devotion.

Yes please, shut yer gob about our lamas who used to be your lamas, whom you abandoned. Stop talking and commenting about that which you do not know about, because youre commenting out of ego and the need to express that you think you are right.

How can you know you are right in this matter, when you supposedly willingly submitted yourself to the training of your lama when you felt you were astray on your spiritual path?

If those gurus who used to do the practice still had the same aspect now, if they were still alive in that aspect, they would also change. For example, His Holiness himself did the practice in Tibet for a short while, but after extensive analysis, checking many experiences and signs, and considering the advice of many other high lamas who advised not to do the practice, His Holiness also decided against it.

Does all of the Gurus teachings suddenly become invalid the instant he decides to continue to practise Dorje Shugden? How come a split second before he made the decision to keep with the practice, his teachings were okay but immediately after it, he becomes a pariah? Where is the analysis and checking, before making such a decision about the spiritual teacher?

It is not only His Holiness who is saying not to do this practice. Before His Holiness, many other high lamas, holders of the entire Buddhadharma, also instructed their monasteries and students not to do this practice. After checking in many ways, His Holiness came to the conclusion that for the benefit of individual people as well as the world in general, he would stop doing this practice and also advised others to stop. Therefore, if those gurus who did the practice still had the same aspect, they would stop. Also, many gurus, many great teachers who are still living, have stopped as well, even though they used to do the practice before.

Are you on the same calibre as the lamas who stopped? Can you afford to stop, without the negative karma of breaking your commitments coming back to you?

Even though many people, groups, and monasteries have asked His Holiness to change his advice on this, he has remained firm. Since he arrived at his decision through many years’ analysis, there has been no change; His Holiness always says the same thing in this regard. As His Holiness has said in many teachings, he will never change his opinion on this matter. If His Holiness the Dalai Lama is not Chenrezig, if he’s not Buddha, who else is there in the world that you can point to as Buddha? If His Holiness is not the Buddha of Compassion, then it’s a mistake to call other lamas Buddha, who are said to be incarnations of a Buddha.

So if His Holiness IS Chenrezig, as Lama Zopa is implying, then how can Chenrezig be harmed by an evil spirit? Does that mean hes not Chenrezig? If thats the case, then who else is there in the world that you can point to as Buddha, in Lama Zopas own words?

So many questions!!

DharmaDefender

Re: So many questions!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 06:30:03 PM »
As a matter of clarification to my post above, I just want to say my comments were NOT addressed to Lama Zopa, but to the anti-DS group whove abandoned Dorje Shugden! Only realised how rude my statements/questions appeared after I hit Post! :(

Ensapa

• Email
Re: So many questions!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:09:44 PM »
You know what I think about what you have posted? I think that Lama Zopa's students should have just followed Lama Zopa's advice of not practicing Dorje Shugden and not taking teachings from Lamas who do and not publicize to the whole world or say that this lama is proper and that lama is not proper, based entirely on whether or not they practice Dorje Shugden. If they have just followed Lama Zopa's advice without adding their own interpretation of what their Guru's advice is, Lama Osel could have been teaching them by now, but sadly, it's their loss.