Author Topic: Dalai Lama's action: Religious autocracy under cover of democracy  (Read 8093 times)

mountains

• MAY THE DALAI LAMA LIFT THE BAN AGAINST SHUGDEN
Re: Dalai Lama's action: Religious autocracy under cover of democracy
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:40:16 PM »

Dear Jeff,

Thanks so much for posting. It is good to see, that this issue is starting to leak out into the press even though it is China.

GFlan

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 08:14:13 PM »
Dear Jeff,

I am ignorant about Dharma and have only started to learn about Dorje Shugden. (May he be ever victorious!) I can't help wondering why you posted this article from Xinhuanet. It contains such over-the-top statements as this: "In 1990s, in the name of fighting against the Buddhist Guardian, Gyaiqen Xudain, the 14th Dalai Lama started slaughtering the members of 'New Kadampa Sect' who dare accuse him." Slaughtering? I understand that some people on both sides of this issue have suffered violence. But do you believe it is fair to accuse His Holiness of "slaughtering" his philosophical foes? When I registered on this site, I saw this language in the agreement I was required to sign: "You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful ..." Is your posting of this article in compliance with that promise?
    I don't mean to criticize, but only to ask what you hoped to achieve by posting this article. Thank you.

jeff Ryan

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:24:38 PM »
The purpose of my publishing the article on this forum was simply to share press coverage. I didn't write the article. I was simply sharing the press coverage we find. Based on your logic the articles in Indian press should not have been put on this forum because they made false statements about the monks we are trying to help here. I am simply sharing any press coverage I find and will continue to do so. Please feel free to inform the authors of the various articles their mistakes. Thank you for your question.

GFlan

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:41:37 PM »
Jeff,

Yes, I agree: One should not circulate press stories (This one is hardly a news article) that contain falsehoods, except in order to refute the false statements.

mountains

• MAY THE DALAI LAMA LIFT THE BAN AGAINST SHUGDEN
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:11:05 PM »

Dear Jeff,

I think you should continue to post whatever press coverage you come across whether it is accurate or not. It will give us a clear picture of what the press IS THINKING.

And being that it is the press, i know you didnt write it. There is no harm to read true and false statements in the press to get a clear overview of all opinions as this website is for honesty and clarity.

Thank you so much and no offence to anyone please. :)

jeff Ryan

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:30:02 PM »
Dear Gflan,

Please post your letters to the editors here after you have sent them to the various publications to refute all the various false allegations made by the press.
Here is one to the editor regarding the Star of Mysore article. I look forward to seeing your post to all the various press regarding their false allegations.

Dear Sir or Madam:

I've just finished reading the article in your paper on the unrest at Sera Monastery.  While I am glad that your paper is covering this story, I was very dismayed about two things reported.

First, the article states that Dorje Shugden is a "cult" figure.  This could not be further from the truth.  Until the 1980s, the Dalai Lama was a devotee of Dorje Shugden; the great Geluk lamas of the last several centuries have also been devotees of Dorje Shugden, and their are millions of devotees worldwide.  If you say that Dorje Shugden is a "cult" figure, then the Geluk sect of Tibetan Buddhism is a cult.  I don't seriously believe you meant to imply that.

Second, the article states that the Dorje Shugden devotees were threatening to storm the festival if not admitted.  That is quite a serious allegation to lodge against monks, as they have taken vows of non-violence.  I assume this came from someone who works for the Tibetan Government in Exile, which is waging this campaign against Dorje Shugden devotees.  Please check the sources of such allegations and inquire of the monks so accused as to whether it is true so that both sides of the story may be reported.

I would like to request that in future articles, you focus on the human rights issues touched on but not developed: denial of identification papers to monks who refuse to renounce their religious commitment to Dorje Shugden.  India is a symbol of democracy worldwide.  We are depending on the Indian press and the Indian Government to protect the constitutional rights of those who are powerless to do so themselves.

Many thanks for your kind consideration.

maryjane

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 04:27:41 AM »
Dear GFlan,

Pls note that the article was not written by Jeff Ryan.  He merely posted it to inform all of us due to the keen interest shown in this forum by people to know what is being circulated. Pls disagree with the author not the messenger. Furthermore, it is important that we not engage in spreading falsehoods and implying or accusing each other about  non-compliance of website protocol. U mention that u are new to dharma etc. yet u so definitely disagree with Jeff Ryan who merely posted this. The Shugden issue is over 370 years old with a solid history, and many twists and turns of which we may not fully be aware of.

maryjane

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 04:41:26 AM »
Mr.Jeff Ryan,

Thank u for your posting. It gives us  a global perspective surrounding the issue.