Author Topic: A Wishfulfilling Dorje Shugden Statue  (Read 11082 times)

Mana

A Wishfulfilling Dorje Shugden Statue
« on: December 20, 2011, 09:09:42 PM »
Source: http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=10755

Wish Fulfilling Dorje Shugden Statue

For many decades this sacred large statue of Dorje Shugden was in Gaden Monastery housed in the Lachi or the large prayer hall. The Lachi has a protector chapel containing images of various Dharma protectors of the Gaden Lineage. In this sacred Chapel, this holy Dorje Shugden statue resided together with Mahakala, Kalarupa, Shidak Genye, Yamantaka and Vaisravana. Monks of Gaden Shartse and Gaden Jangtse would do pujas, prayers and rituals in the Lachi daily. Dorje Shugden was one of the prayers done together with the other protectors.

Many lay people from the surrounding villages would come daily to make offerings and request prayers in Gaden Lachi.

The statue was happily installed by Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche and Kyabje Zong Rinpoche along with the whole sangha of Gaden. Many sacred relics and mantras were put inside this image of Dorje Shugden. It was worshipped by the sangha of Gaden, the laity and many visitors for decades until suddenly, when on one of his visits, His Holiness the Dalai Lama said this Dorje Shugden statue should not be in the Lachi, but it should be placed in a chapel on its own.

The elite masters, tulkus, Geshes and over 2,000 sangha of Gaden were confused but nevertheless dared not disobey the command of the Dalai Lama. There were no votes, opinions or room for debate with the Dalai Lama. The Dalai Lama ‘s orders had to be carried out without question, even if you had questions. The object of veneration for many highly realized beings, erudite scholars and senior monks of Gaden was suddenly ‘wrong’ and the Dalai Lama’s sole opinion was right. No one dared to speak up. It would be tantamount to some type of treason.

Now this holy statue is still in Gaden in its own chapel, and continues to be worshipped by many. But how it came to be on a chapel of its own still perplexes the many masters of Gaden who had no choice but to carry out the orders of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Everything is ‘democratic’ except the will of the Dalai Lama in old Tibet and in exile.

Whatever the case, hundreds still go to make offerings to this very sacred and old statue of Dorje Shugden that has granted the wishes of many. If you have a chance, you should visit this Dorje Shugden with sincerity in your heart. Your obstacles can be cleared too.

Admin

(In old Tibetan tradition, when the deity is extremely wrathful, it is covered in order not to 'frighten' people. Images of Pelden Hlamo, Kalarupa, Mahakala, Dorje Shugden are covered to show respect to the wrathful energy embodied by them. Admin)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:23:42 PM by Mana »

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: A Wishfulfilling Dorje Shugden Statue
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 02:45:19 AM »
Thank you for sharing these pictures and the history behind the statues. Fantastic! Though it's interesting that they cover up the face of the statue but put a picture of the statue with Dorje Shugden's face exposed in front of the statue.

I was thinking that perhaps the Dalai Lama ordered Dorje Shugden to be moved to his own chapel because he was going to institute the ban, which may have led to the monks removing the statue from the Lachi and destroying it, like they did in other monasteries. By the statue being placed separately already, it was safe from desecration.

The Trokhang Dechenchog plaque states that the chapel was rebuilt after the Chinese destroyed it in Tibet. So had the Dalai Lama asked for the separate chapel to be set up in India or Tibet?

Thanks for the clarification in advance.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DharmaSpace

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 03:10:55 PM »
Thank you mana for sharing story about this Dorje Shugden image in Gaden. This is another contradiction as to why was this statue preserved at all. It is also contradictory to allow people to carry on propitiating the statue. Somehow looking at the picture of the face of Dorje Shugden covered makes Dorje Shudgen look even more secretive and powerful.

Dorje Shugden is definitely wish fulfilling as the practise leads one to be enlightened and of course it also helps us to remove obstacles that appear along our spiritual path.

dorjedakini

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 08:45:28 PM »
I was thinking that perhaps the Dalai Lama ordered Dorje Shugden to be moved to his own chapel because he was going to institute the ban, which may have led to the monks removing the statue from the Lachi and destroying it, like they did in other monasteries. By the statue being placed separately already, it was safe from desecration.

Thank you for sharing this nice story with us. I agree with WisdomBeing, it may be a form to protect the sacred image from being detroyed by others. Good news is that this holy statue is still being worshipped by many, unlike Lama Yeshe's Shugden statue which was originally in Kopan Monastery was totally removed from the monastery.

However I believe as long as we keep up the practise, we will help the ban to be lifted

thor

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 02:14:54 AM »
Does anyone know when the Dalai Lama ordered the statue to be moved? If it was done prior to the ban, it seems to me that Dalai Lama has premeditated the ban according to whatever motivation he has and was making plans and arrangements to achieve his purpose.

Transferring the statue to a new chapel sort of contradicts the implementation of the ban. Why move the statue to a new place when it could have remained where it was, waiting to be destroyed when the ban came around? Did he think moving it would make it easier to find and destroy later? Why go through all the effort and expense? Really, moving it to its own chapel just made it easier for his practitioners to be able to continue doing their prayers in peace without disturbance. They could give it better protection against riots, protests, angry mobs. Again, Dalai Lama seems to be doing things contrary to logic. Why why why?

dondrup

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »
Thank You for sharing with us this holy Dorje Shugden Statue.

Yes, it simply does not make sense to ban DS practice and yet still keep the DS statue in Gaden Monastery! 

Why Dorje Shugden statues in many other monasteries were removed and destroyed?  Why the double standard?

tsangpakarpo

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »
You'll be shocked to know where this chapel is located right now. After the split of Gaden Shartse and Shar Gaden, the properties were divided very awkwardly. For example, in the same compound, there are Shartse and Shar Gaden properties right next to each other.

This chapel is located in the same compound as Sokpa Jamyang Kangzhen. The kangzhen who is most against Dorje Shugden. I heard they were the first to swear in to not practice Dorje Shugden and communicate with the practitioners when the ban started. Reason being the people of this Kangzhen originated from the same hometown as HHDL.

To enter the Protector Chapel, you literally have to first enter the gates of Sokpa Jamyang Kangzhen.

triesa

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 12:05:12 PM »
Thank you Mana for sharing these beautiful pictures of the sacred statue of Dorje Shugden. It is amazingly contradicting of how the decision of HHDL of moving this DS statue to a chapel of his own with the other policies he implemented on DS worship.

If HHDL really wants to stop the worship of DS, he would have told the monks to destroy this DS statue completely, why make all the fuss to move the statue to a separate chapel of his own, and what’s more, this DS chapel is still INSIDE GADEN MONASTARY!!!

I am sure HHDL has pre-meditated this and we are really fortunate to have a glimpse of this holy DS statue installed under the instruction of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche and Kyabje Zong Rinpoche along with the whole sangha of Gaden.

It is true the timing when HHDL made this decision is crucial, if anyone is knowledgeable of when HHDL ordered the removal of this DS statue, it may shed a light to the whole picture.

In any case, I am so glad that this DS statue still remains and is being worshipped by many in Gaden now.

Below is a link to a letter signed by  Jampel Yeshe, President of Dorje Shugden Devotees Charitable and Religious Society in Dehli , Sonam Yangdzom, Women's Representative and Nick Gillespie, Spokesperson for the Shugden Supporters Community in the West, in an appeal to the Indian Prime minister on June 19, 1996. The content of which mentioned the violations of human rights and acts of religious persecution.
One of the paragraphs as quoted below (highlighted in red) also appealed for the restoration of the DS statue into the main prayer hall.

“We respectfully request you to investigate these violations of human rights and to use your good offices to bring about a swift resolution of this problem. From our side we are seeking three things
1.   The immediate end to the persecution against the worshippers of Dorje Shugden, and a guarantee that this will not be restarted in the future and that people have complete freedom in their religious practice.
2.   The restoration of the practice of Dorje Shugden to its former status within the spiritual life of the Tibetan Buddhist community.
3.   The statue blessed by Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche must be replaced to its former position within the main temple of Gaden monastery and the monks must be allowed to worship daily in front of this statue. In addition, reparation must be made for all the statues and images of this Deity that have been destroyed, and repaired and replaced images must be restored to their former shrines.”

For more details of the letter of appeal, please read[/color]

http://www.friendsoftibet.org/databank/indiageneral/indiag1.html

DharmaSpace

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
Still baffles me why would Gaden Monastery still be keeping the statue? Not that I am complaining about that.
Perhaps to move back the statue once the ban is removed.

Why would the Dalai Lama care about the statue of a spirit?  The 'Great Exception' triumphs again!

pgdharma

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 03:51:09 PM »
Thank you for sharing this holy Dorje Shugden statue with us. It's interesting to note that HHDL asked that the statue be moved away to a chapel of its own. Why is HHDL so concerned that this statue should not be in the Lachi but to be placed in a chapel of its own? Why didn't he asked that the statue be destroyed? Why are other DS statues in other monasteries destroyed but not this one? Why is HHDL actions contradicting?

Why, why, why....the day will come when truth will prevail! May we have great merits to pay respect to this holy statue!

Big Uncle

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 06:14:05 PM »
Does anyone know when the Dalai Lama ordered the statue to be moved? If it was done prior to the ban, it seems to me that Dalai Lama has premeditated the ban according to whatever motivation he has and was making plans and arrangements to achieve his purpose.

According the Dorje Shugden Society's Chronicles, the statue was removed in 1983, a very early part of the ban. According to the same chronicle, he first mentions about the ban in 1980. Here is the exact quote from http://www.shugdensociety.info/historyEvents1996EN.html

Check it out:-

July 18, 1980

H.H. the Dalai Lama said at Sera Monastery, Karnataka State: “In summation of my reviews, I am not saying Gyalchen is not an authentic deity. In any case, for those who mainly hold Palden Lhamo or Gyalpo Kunga (state protector), whether it be a great master or a monastery, it does not abode well to worship Gyalchen.”

H.H. the Dalai Lama orders to close down a small Shugden temple near the main hall of Sera monastery in South India. The temple had been attended by Lamas and senior monks from Sera-Je and Sera-Mey monasteries. A new little temple of state protector Nechung was erected under the command of the exile government in the courtyard of the monastery. Likewise in all Tibetan settlements.

H.H. the Dalai Lama orders the removal of Dorje Shugden statue from the main prayer hall of Gaden Monastery, the main monastery of Gelug Tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. When the Dalai Lama is told that the statue was too large to get through the door, he replies that the statue should be broke up.

Ratna Shugden

• Email
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 07:12:13 AM »
Why not move this Wish fulfilling Dorje Shugden statue to the new Shar Gaden Monastary?

Galen

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 07:10:47 PM »
You'll be shocked to know where this chapel is located right now. After the split of Gaden Shartse and Shar Gaden, the properties were divided very awkwardly. For example, in the same compound, there are Shartse and Shar Gaden properties right next to each other.

This chapel is located in the same compound as Sokpa Jamyang Kangzhen. The kangzhen who is most against Dorje Shugden. I heard they were the first to swear in to not practice Dorje Shugden and communicate with the practitioners when the ban started. Reason being the people of this Kangzhen originated from the same hometown as HHDL.

To enter the Protector Chapel, you literally have to first enter the gates of Sokpa Jamyang Kangzhen.

You are right, the Protector Chapel is hidden inside Sokpa Jamyang Kamtsen. But do you know that originally, the Protector Chapel faces the main road. When the ban was enforced, Gaden Shartse Monastery gave the small piece of land in front of the chapel (which is the front courtyard) to Sokpa Jamyang Kamtsen. They then build the monk hostel on that land and thus covering the Protector Chapel from public view. That is how it ended up inside Sokpa Jamyang Kamtsen (part of Gaden Shartse).

The Protector Chapel now belongs to Shar Gaden after the split. So you would need to get into Gaden Shartse to get into Shar Gaden.

whitelion

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 08:55:13 PM »
Thanks Mana for sharing this.

i have visited this protector house few years back. but i never have a chance to see this holy statue that consecrated by HH Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche and HH Kyabje Zong Rinpoche. This sacred DS is encased in a cabinet and cover with layers of 5 colors khata.

If I'm not wrong, I remember that are 2 or 3 monks still perform protector kangsol here everyday.

The monks also told me, when Shartse first remove this statue away from Gaden Lachi, it was kept in Zong Ladrang until the construction finished. HH Kyabje Zong Rinpoche's ladrang which just next to the protector house.

Also i remember that's a sponsor board that written who are the sponsors for this Protector house. Names  included :

HH Kyabje Zong Rinpoche
Trijang Ladrang
HE Lati Rinpoche
HE Kensur Jampa Yeshe
and etc...

If all the high lama above willingly to sponsored this protector house to enshrines DS , do we still need to have doubts whether DS is harmful or helpful to us ?

I also remember the old monk who take care of this protector house told me, HH Kyabje Zong Rinpoche always went there and make offering or do his prayer. If Kyabje Zong Rinpoche said this is good, why do we need to argue ? I don't think Zong Rinpoche will introduce some evil spirit for us.

Lawrence L

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 08:23:36 PM »
Thank you tk for sharing the stories  :D

I always get confused about Kache Marpo because of His wordly form.
But right after I understand that the wordly form is just to let us have the affinity with him(even Dorje Shugden and Dharmapala Setrap are also appear in wordly form), the compassion and Boddhicitta in all the Buddhas are the thing that really matter. There's nothing to do with the appearance.

Buddha's form is just a form. It's very meaningless that we go and argue about it.
And what Buddhas own, is the Boddhicitta. It's very meaningless if we doubt this.