Author Topic: Geshe Kelsang teaching on DS  (Read 21248 times)

Even

Geshe Kelsang teaching on DS
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:30:02 AM »
http://kadampa.org/english/events/festivals/diaries/summer2006/video-en.php

Here is a great link to teachings given by venerable Geshe-la in 2006.
On the scroll down link he describes the lineage of Dorje Shugden.
Always great to hear it from the mouths of great masters..we need more like this online.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 06:43:04 AM by Admin »

mountains

• MAY THE DALAI LAMA LIFT THE BAN AGAINST SHUGDEN
Re: Geshe Kelsang teaching on DS
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:47:12 PM »

I hope Ven. Geshe-la and his NKT students will confer more and more of Dorje Shugden initiations around the world. I also sincerely hope they bestow the teachings on Dorje Shugden's history and practice so there would be clear understanding arising into stable faith to many. It is excellent sign that Geshe-la assigns his students (non-Tibetans) to recieve/retreat/confer the initiations to others. Many non-Tibetan Dharma Masters with Dorje Shugden's lineage should arise as they would be free of the Tibetan Govt's threats, politics, bans, and false nationalism. From this I hope Dorje Shugden's practice grows globally faster in all the free countries of the world that truly practice democracy and religious freedom.

I also wish NKT would open and start a comprehensive website JUST ON DORJE SHUGDEN. The more the better. This site is fantastic. The more the better.

mountains

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:52:21 PM »

Can't someone in NKT respectfully request Ven Geshe-la to translate the biography of Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche and Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche into english and publish it under Tharpa. Comprehensive biographies translated from the original. Reading about their lives would bless many lives, open up more understanding and truly put these two great masters on the global Buddhist 'map.'   NKT and Geshe-la would be more than qualified to do so.
That would be a good way to create further understanding on Dorje Shugden. Another angle to show Dorje Shugden's true nature by reading about the enlightened activities of the very lamas who propagated him far and wide.

Mohani

• duldzin
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 10:00:59 PM »
Here is an except of a transcript from that event, enjoy.

Summer Festival 2006      

Good afternoon. Today you will receive the blessing empowerment of Dorje Shugdän, which means that you will receive the special blessings of this Buddha. This empowerment makes a special connection between you and the Dharma Protector Dorje Shugdän - so that you will have the opportunity to rely upon this precious Dharma Protector, who gives you great meaning in this life and in future lives.

We know that it is quite common nowadays for people to say that Dorje Shugdän has problems. Dorje Shugdän has no problems at all! He is an enlightened being who is completely free from samara’s problems. The problem is a human problem created by political people. These people created a problem to fulfil their own wishes, not for any benefit.

We should never allow ourself to be discouraged. We can do this by concentrating on the truth. Now I need to tell the truth! This is my job you know! Otherwise, who will do this? No one has the freedom, only me. So, the truth is as follows: Dorje Shugdän is a Dharma Protector who is a manifestation of Je Tsongkhapa. Je Tsongkhapa appears as the Dharma Protector Dorje Shugdän to protect his doctrine from degenerating.

During his life Je Tsongkhapa founded and established the doctrine of the Ganden Oral Lineage which leads living beings to the attainment of permanent liberation from suffering and the supreme happiness of enlightenment very quickly. Of course, Je Tsongkhapa himself takes responsibility for preventing his doctrine from degenerating or disappearing. He takes responsibility for ensuring that his doctrine remains from generation to generation.

To do this, since he passed away, he continually appears in many different aspects such as in the aspect of a teacher who teaches the Ganden Oral Lineage. Previously he appeared as the Mahasiddha Dharmavajra, more recently he appeared as Je Phabongkhapa, the spiritual teacher of Trijang Dorjechang. He appeared in the aspect of these teachers, and he also appears in the aspect of different Dharma Protectors, as Kalarupa, and later as Dorje Shugdän.

In Extensive Prayers to Dorje Shugdän the great yogi and scholar Kelsang Khedrub said “Although you attained enlightenment many years ago. You appear in various kinds of aspect in order to benefit living beings and the doctrine. You possess the twenty-seven good qualities of a Buddha. Oh Vajradhara Dorje Shugdän I prostrate to you.” Then he listed some of Dorje Shugdän’s former reincarnations which were during Buddha’s time: the Bodhisattva Manjushri, and later the Mahasiddha Biwawa, the great Sakya Pandita, and Butön Rinchen Drub.

These holy beings are also Je Tsongkhapa’s former reincarnations. From this we can understand that Dorje Shugdän’s former reincarnations and Je Tsongkhapa’s former reincarnations are the same. So it is clear that Je Tsongkhapa and Dorje Shugdän are the same mental continuum - one person but different aspects. For these reasons I am saying that Dorje Shugdän is a manifestation of Je Tsongkhapa. There is no doubt about this.

Je Tsongkhapa himself appears as Dorje Shugdän in order to prevent his doctrine of the Ganden Oral Lineage from degenerating, by pacifying obstacles, gathering necessary conditions, and bestowing powerful blessings upon practitioners of this doctrine. If we continually rely upon Dorje Shugdän with faith, he will care for us like a mother cares for her child. He will guide us to correct paths, or liberating paths, he will pacify our obstacles and gather necessary conditions, and we will receive his powerful blessings through which our wisdom, compassion, and spiritual power will increase.

Through this we can easily make progress along the quick path to enlightenment that is shown to us by Je Tsongkhapa. Understanding this please be happy to receive this empowerment which gives you great meaning in this life and in life after life. And also please rejoice in your good fortune.

Our motivation should not be self-cherishing, but compassion for all living beings. You should think “I want to liberate, permanently, all living beings who are my mother, from the sufferings of sickness, ageing, death, and the cycle of rebirth. For this purpose I will receive the special blessings of the wisdom Dharma Protector Dorje Shugdän.” Please generate this pure motivation.... 

cheyenne

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »
[I also wish NKT would open and start a comprehensive website JUST ON DORJE SHUGDEN. The more the better. This site is fantastic. The more the better.]

see http://kadampa.org/en/buddhism/the-dharma-protector//

Johnny

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 10:39:15 PM »
I don't know Geshe-la's stand on wanting to translate more biographies..
I believe he's trying to steer away from Tibetan tradition and design a whole new "Western" Lineage  (with it's own less ornate rituals and meditation gompas/centers) from the Gelugpa school.(Please take this with a grain of sand,i don't truly know my guru's intentions as i've not asked him personally,Geshe Kelsang is not here to destroy the Tibetan lineage,he's here to expand it with westerners!)

I would also love the translation,and it's quite possible.
I know he refers in his books to go and read biographies of great teachers indirectly.
I know for a fact he says to look for Milarepa's life stories and the works of Kechen-la (author of Enlightened Beings)
And many more are mentioned,he just refers us to the original authors,which makes some students confused on how to find them since all the new translators' name the books different titles.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:27:17 AM by Admin »

lodoe

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 12:32:41 AM »
Dear Johnny,
Thanks for your valuable post. Geshe Kelsang gyaltso try to steer away from ones own people seem to non-boddhisatva attitude. Great vehicle practitioner must not discriminate any of sentient beings. I understand that geshe lak has prevailed the atisha and master tsonkhapa doctrine in west. Its great job but one must engage the practice of dharma to all. Being away from tibetan will not eventually become non-tibetan. During the recent conflicts in South India, Many true practitioner of Dharma especially  in need of support of moral and finance. Is it heroic to be stay from them?  How could be One who preach and practice the protector of Gaden Oral Transmission doesn't  come forward to assist and protect the geden tradition?  I know geshe lak tried before and he get fed up. Did Boddhisatva practitioner  get tired only few miles of walking?
There is saying in tibetan,: Eventually one has attained the superior realization or similar level of understanding of boddhisatva, one must behave as people as other.

I appeal to all dharma friends to simply ask yourself and urge geshe kelsand and others like him  to reflect ones mind.

May peace prevails all over the world.

Tenzin Lama
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:30:03 AM by Admin »

three pots

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 01:31:42 AM »
Dear Dave,

With respect, I also wish to caution you, and all of us, in attempting to explain the actions and wishes of our teachers.  While Geshe Kelsang Gyatso may be stearing away from certain aspects of Tibetan tradition and culture, Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang and Kyabje Pabongkha Dechen Nyingpo are first and foremost two of the greatest masters of our time, from whom Geshe-la himself has acquired his knowledge.  I don't claim to know one way or another what he plans to translate or author, but as many will look to you and others of us for information on these teachers that we are speaking for we should choose our words oh so carefully. 

Also Mountains, there are I believe two individuals who are translating the autobiography of Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang at this time.  I don't know how they feel about announcing it at this point but just know that something is coming.

Johnny

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 02:57:55 AM »
Three pots,
very true.I've done this in the past and I should watch my speech..i don't really know his intentions.
Thank you for that.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:31:03 AM by Admin »

Alexis

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 03:00:40 AM »
There cannot be a 'New' gelug tradition. There is only one gelug tradition and NKT is a part of it.

There is no 'starting afresh', all our lineages goes a long way back to India.

If you 'cut Tibet out', you will not receive the blessings of the lineage.

Tibetans were very carefull not to 'cut India out'. That's why the Lama Chopa (Offering to the Spiritual Guide) starts with 'Namo Gurubya' in sanskrit.

NKT is not a splinter group from Gelug.

Johnny

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 03:02:07 AM »
Thank you Alexis,for clearing it up.
I've modified my post accordingly I hope ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:31:21 AM by Admin »

Alexis

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 03:12:51 AM »
Johnny,

Geshe-la, however, way quite a visionary to cut ties with the Gov. In exile. Wasn't he?

What our Lineage definately need is a 'fresh start' free from politics.

We have to follow the example of the NKT in this matter! ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:31:48 AM by Admin »

mountains

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 07:25:13 AM »

Can ppl who belong to the NKT please request formally by letters through the proper channels for Geshe-la to work on the bios of these two great masters to translate into English. Speculation of whether he will or not isnt very helpful.
Those who belong to NKT can make a formal request bearing in mind it will benefit TREMENDOUSLY SO MANY PEOPLE for now and the future. Understanding Dorje Shugden via the high lamas who practice him would be another angle to create understanding of his nature.

Thank You.

Mooch

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 03:07:36 PM »
His heart disciple, Gen-La Dekyong is the resident teacher in L.A.,people could email or write to the center and request her to inform him of our wishes.

mountains

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 03:36:11 PM »
Dear Mooch,

please post her email and info. thnks