Author Topic: Zasep Tulku Guidelines  (Read 8986 times)

Robert Thomas

Zasep Tulku Guidelines
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:57:53 AM »
I thought these guidelines from Zasp Tulku for his students are very beautiful and practical, so I wanted to share them:

http://www.gadencholing.org/guide

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: Zasep Tulku Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 01:29:50 PM »
Cool - thanks for sharing, Robert. I agree with you - the guidelines are great! Is Zasep Rinpoche your guru?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Lineageholder

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:16:26 PM »
They are beautiful - such clear and practical advice!  Thanks for sharing  :)

Robert Thomas

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:33:28 PM »
Hi Wisdom being

I am glad you and Lineageholder appreciate them also. To answer your question, no he isn't my Guru, but I have always appreciated his example since first reading a short Biography of Song Rinpoche which he translated. It includes btw some references to Dorje Shugden practice and initiation by Song Rinpoche and was published by Wisdom in the eay 80's.

I found this link today when searching online for a quote from my Teacher's (Geshe Kelsang Gyatso) book, Joyful Path of Good Fortune.  I discovered that Zasep Tulku uses the book as the basis for his student's lamrim studies and has some quotes. So that made a nice additional connection to him for me also.

All the best to you

Robert

beggar

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »
How wonderful! So clear and concise and very compassionate of Zasep Tulku to do something like this for his students.

I was very impressed with this:

Be non-sectarian.

I would like my students to be non-sectarian. I would like you to respect all the religions of the world, the different traditions of Buddhism and the different schools within Tibetan Buddhism. Do not criticize the practices of others. This is what I call being non-sectarian.

Being non-sectarian does not mean you keep doing spiritual shopping. It does not mean mixing up everything so that your practice becomes a mishmash of a whole lot of practices from different lineages and so that you don't really know what your main practice is and where to focus.

I would like you to not mix up all the different traditions.

I like very much that every high Lama will emphasise never to criticize the practices of others - this is such an important point for our practice and unfortunately, it is usually overlooked by many people. They think that they are doing something good or doing someone a favour by pointing out the faults of Lamas etc. Actually, it can be very damaging.

Zach

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 03:52:35 PM »
I like  :)

WisdomBeing

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:04:06 AM »
Hi Wisdom being

I am glad you and Lineageholder appreciate them also. To answer your question, no he isn't my Guru, but I have always appreciated his example since first reading a short Biography of Song Rinpoche which he translated. It includes btw some references to Dorje Shugden practice and initiation by Song Rinpoche and was published by Wisdom in the eay 80's.

I found this link today when searching online for a quote from my Teacher's (Geshe Kelsang Gyatso) book, Joyful Path of Good Fortune.  I discovered that Zasep Tulku uses the book as the basis for his student's lamrim studies and has some quotes. So that made a nice additional connection to him for me also.

All the best to you

Robert

Dear Robert,

It's nice that you appreciate Zasep Tulku's teachings even though he's not your Guru. :) Do you have the short biography of Song Rinpoche as mentioned above? I'd love to read it.

Joyful path is a great book!

Many thanks!

Robert Thomas

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 05:49:57 PM »
Dear Wisdom being

I do have it, but I wrote to Zasep Tulku to ask permission to scan and share it. His assistant confirmed reciept of my mail but he has not replied. It is 18 months now since I wrote. Also it was published by Wisdom. The result is I'm not sure if I can legally or morally make it available here as much as I would love to!

With best wishes

Robert

WisdomBeing

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 06:23:45 PM »
Dear Wisdom being

I do have it, but I wrote to Zasep Tulku to ask permission to scan and share it. His assistant confirmed reciept of my mail but he has not replied. It is 18 months now since I wrote. Also it was published by Wisdom. The result is I'm not sure if I can legally or morally make it available here as much as I would love to!

With best wishes

Robert

Dear Robert

Thank you for the reply - i will look into how i can order it from Wisdom.

Cheers!

hope rainbow

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 12:49:13 PM »
I like this clear explanation given by Zasep Tulku about politics and Dharma, and how one should not mix them up.
Especially, I like the clear explanation of what is meant by "politics", and also the reminder of a proper and sincere motivation for a real Dharma practice.

Don't mix up dharma with politics.

I would like you to not mix dharma and politics together.
We need to know the difference between policy and politics.
We have policy like in a family where there are ways of doing things and rules etc.
Similarly in the dharma centres there are guidelines and policy but that's not politics.
Politics is using the dharma in order to gain something like power or make yourself better than others, or to indicate that you are more competent than others or as way of putting others down, or as an excuse to treat other people badly, or as a way of discriminating against other people, or as a way of causing others to feel isolated.

Politics is about ways of gaining power; prestige or positions of influence that serve your own agenda; to gain worldly things.
Forgetting about the real meaning of dharma and even forgetting that you might be harming others or not even wanting to see it and keep pushing your own agenda, that's what I call dharma politics.
Basically politics is used to discriminate against others to make yourself look good.

I would like my students not to use politics to position themselves in a dharma group by obtaining influence and forgetting about the real purpose of dharma practice.
I would like you to remember what dharma really means.
Being part of a dharma group is an ideal place to really practice compassion and love and wanting to help, and putting others first.

Please remember wherever you are, either in a dharma group or in your work place , dharma practice is being helpful to all sentient beings and not attempting to use them for your gain or for your purposes.