Author Topic: 8 Emotional Patterns That Can Disturb Our Inner Peace  (Read 17478 times)

Joo Won

8 Emotional Patterns That Can Disturb Our Inner Peace
« on: August 18, 2015, 12:53:42 PM »
We all experience emotion ups and downs in some stages of our lives or even we experience it daily. This article talks about some emotion patterns which disturb our inner peace. Post it here to share with you guys. May be you could share some tips on how to maintain inner peace, do not let outer things or people to "destroy" your peace of mind... :)

1. Feeling Unforgiving Towards Others

2. Easily Frustrated with Small Matters

3. Sadness and Depression

4. Anxiety Prone

5. Negatively Judging Others

6. Jealous Behaviour

7. Holding Onto Guilt

8. Often Feeling Offended

Source: http://themindunleashed.org/2014/10/8-emotional-patterns-can-disturb-inner-peace.html

psylotripitaka

Re: 8 Emotional Patterns That Can Disturb Our Inner Peace
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 11:14:41 PM »
Make it a priority everyday to do analytical and placement meditation on Lamrim, Lojong, and Vajrayana Mahamudra - problem solved.

Matibhadra

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 03:16:26 PM »
Make it a priority everyday to do analytical and placement meditation on Lamrim, Lojong, and Vajrayana Mahamudra - problem solved.

Here is my rough attempt to do what you say:

Remember that all beings have been our dear mothers.

Avoid wrong attention, concentrate on the preciousness of this human rebirth.

Think about the rarity of this precious human rebirth.

4. Anxiety Prone
Think about death and impermanence, and cool down.

Think about the sufferings undergone by the misjudged person. Exchange yourself with them.

6. Jealous Behaviour
Try to see the other's good qualities, and rejoice on them.

7. Holding Onto Guilt
Think that as a buddha you can help whoever was harmed or not helped by you, and generate bodhichitta.

Think that you are equal to others. Try to find the offended “I”. And don't take yourself too seriously ? no one does.

Matibhadra

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
And don't take yourself too seriously -- no one does.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 11:19:41 PM »
Matibhadra, excellent!

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 01:20:36 AM »

4. Anxiety Prone

Think about the sufferings undergone by the misjudged person. Exchange yourself with them.

6. Jealous Behaviour

7. Holding Onto Guilt
Think that as a buddha you can help whoever was harmed or not helped by you, and generate bodhichitta.

Think that you are equal to others. Try to find the offended “I”. And don't take yourself too seriously ? no one does.

Matibahdra. This is very good. Thanks. These are all Lamrim teachings. Generally if we practice the Lamrim and contemplate on the subjects as impermanence/death, optimum human rebirth, karma, suffering of the lower realms, mother sentient beings, love, compassion and boddhicitta, we should be able to overcome the mundane sufferings as above. Further we need to understand that these states of the minds are what is called the pervasive sufferings; one of the three types of sufferings and it will create the cause for future sufferings, hence it must be avoided at all cause.

Matibhadra

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
These are all Lamrim teachings.

Indeed. For the sake of enriching one's understanding, one might compare such Lamrim, Buddhist teachings with those of a non-Buddhist teacher, such as evil dalie lame of Tibet:

Forget about “forgiving” devil worshippers! I warned you, it is going to be like the Cultural Revolution!

Devil worship is no small matter in my theocratic dictatorship, therefore I am frustrated for a good reason!

What? One week without a self-immolation? Who would not be depressed?

4. Anxiety Prone
It's not anxiety! Exterminating devil worshippers is an urgent need!

As long as I follow the commands of my Western paymasters, my judgements are no one's business. And as far as you are concerned, I am Chenrezig, your absolute lord and master, did you get it?

6. Jealous Behaviour
That's exactly why I want to exterminate those devil worshippers, so that I don't have to feel jealous about them.

7. Holding Onto Guilt
Islamic State terrorists never feel guilty, why should I?

It is not that I “feel” offended. Human freedom is offensive.

eyesoftara

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 09:16:15 AM »
Matibhahra, I must say you are witty and does your homework well. You are entitled to your opinion on the Dalai Lama and I hope you respect my opinion. The Dalai Lama is not my Guru but I still respect him for all the good, however small it may be in your opinion, that he has done. There are many books by the Dalai Lama that is non controversial that I have read and continues to refer to sometimes. I refer to some books by H.E Geshe Kelsang Gyatso too. So for me I look at the teachings and they are all Tsongkhapa's teachings.

Anyway, you have certainly made this forum more interesting. Thanks for that.

Joo Won

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 02:09:23 PM »

4. Anxiety Prone

6. Jealous Behaviour

7. Holding Onto Guilt

Thank you for Matibhadra's reply which based on Lord Buddha's teachings. For the Holding Onto Guilt part, I am not quite understand, can you explain more on this.  Thank you.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 11:04:30 AM »
Well said Matibhadra. That explanation is great, simplified and easy to understand.

Thank you for Matibhadra's reply which based on Lord Buddha's teachings. For the Holding Onto Guilt part, I am not quite understand, can you explain more on this.  Thank you.

Joo Won, I believe what Matibhadra meant is to forgive and forget. Not holding on to any hatred that will blind our visions for the higher spiritual path that we are pursuing as it will not do any good for us at all. It will only bring us misery.

fruven

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 11:43:46 PM »

4. Anxiety Prone

6. Jealous Behaviour

7. Holding Onto Guilt

Anyone who read his post for knowledge should be aware to what he has written about the Dalai Lama, and the labelling he is making.

eyesoftara

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 05:33:02 AM »
Further all these emotional patterns derived from the attachment to a concept of the "self" or the "I'. True inner peace can only be achieved by attaining Wisdom of the non-self and/or Omniscience by practicing the 3 higher training of Ethic, Meditation and Wisdom that leads to Liberation ;  in addition the 3 Principal Paths of Renunciation, Boddhicitta and Wisdom that leads to Omniscience.

In the scheme of the path the position of Meditation is achieve the state of Mental Quiescence and use it to meditate on special insight of Wisdom of non self and phenomena. Otherwise, meditation can lead one to falsely associate the bliss of meditative states as the bliss of Liberation; which the then further the cycle of samsara.

Matibhadra

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 05:35:01 AM »
7. Holding Onto Guilt
For the Holding Onto Guilt part, I am not quite understand, can you explain more on this.  Thank you.

“Guilt” means simply “debt”. We are all indebted to our mother sentient beings, who have taken care of us since beginningless time.

The only way to redeem, or repay, this debt is to achieve buddhahood, which enables us effectively to help our mother sentient beings.

Denying this debt owed to our mother sentient beings is very wrong, as it denies dependent arising. And we cannot repay our debt if we do not recognize it.

Besides, keeping this debt unpaid brings only depression and unhappiness. Repaying this debt is the source of every joy and happiness. It means peace, redemption, and deliverance.

Therefore, the only possible way out of “holding onto guilt” is to recognize our debt, owed to our mother sentient beings, and to repay it, achieving buddhahood. Therefore, one generates bodhicitta, or the resolve to achieve buddhahood in order to benefit all sentient beings.

--

Some misguided teachers may think that there are other methods not to hold onto guilt, such as thinking that we are not indebted to our mother sentient beings, and abandoning them to their own suffering, or not feeling responsible for their welfare. This might create a short-lived, delusional feeling of relief, but actually will make things even worse, increasing our debt and guilt feeling. This is the brutal way of materialism and capitalism in general.

Other perverted teachers try to capitalize on the feeling of guilt, describing it as the result of an offence against some god, and enhancing it to the point of making their followers feel unworthy, depressed, dejected, dependent, submissive, and therefore easily subjected to abuse and exploitation.

Such wicked schema, by the way, is the very essence of Christianity, as invented by the Jewish debt (or guilt) collector Paul of Tarsus, with his clever ideas of “original sin”, and the Christ's monopoly of redemption (except for Jews, of course, by whom and on whose behalf Christianity was invented, as Islam for that matter).

Indeed, Paul conceived Christianity as a giant, global debt collecting schema based on manipulation of guilt, as it defines all non-Jews as inborn debtors (because of the guilt of the “original sin”), who could only find “redemption” through subservience and enslavement to the Jewish debt-owning god through his debt-collecting son, Jesus Christ.

In a similar way, international bankers together with institutions such as IMF and World Bank, imposing their loans of fake money on countries and peoples through corruption and war, try to define all human beings (except of course for such bankers themselves) as debtors, already born as debtors, who can only find “redemption” working as slaves throughout their lives in order to pay such debts.

To sum up, “religion”, war, finance, banking, interests, government, economy, austerity policies, labor laws, media brainwashing propaganda, and so forth, it's all about guilt, or debt, manipulation.

Matibhadra

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 05:36:26 AM »
Anyone who read his post for knowledge should be aware to what he has written about the Dalai Lama, and the labelling he is making.

The evil dalie, you mean?

Matibhadra

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 05:47:53 AM »
There are many books by the Dalai Lama that is non controversial that I have read and continues to refer to sometimes.

Like one single rotten orange spoils the whole juice made out of many oranges, every word hypocritically written or uttered by the evil dalie is inexorably spoiled by the rottenness of his wicked views and behavior.