Author Topic: 8 Emotional Patterns That Can Disturb Our Inner Peace  (Read 17422 times)

cookie

• Email
Re: 8 Emotional Patterns That Can Disturb Our Inner Peace
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 07:52:02 AM »
All the emotional patterns that can disturb our inner peace stems from the "self". This is the most obvious results when the "I" is placed on the throne and worshipped day and night. So much care and effort is targeted to maintain the "I" that the moment something or someone external disturbs the expectations of the "I", an emotional distress will be triggered !
Hence, in order to minimise or eliminate emotional distress in our lives, we should remove the emphasis on the "I". We should focus out of ourselves and learn to prioritise others . The battle is within, it was never about anyone or anything external !!

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 08:02:21 AM »
We all experience emotion ups and downs in some stages of our lives or even we experience it daily. This article talks about some emotion patterns which disturb our inner peace. Post it here to share with you guys. May be you could share some tips on how to maintain inner peace, do not let outer things or people to "destroy" your peace of mind... :)

1. Feeling Unforgiving Towards Others

2. Easily Frustrated with Small Matters

3. Sadness and Depression

4. Anxiety Prone

5. Negatively Judging Others

6. Jealous Behaviour

7. Holding Onto Guilt

8. Often Feeling Offended

Source: http://themindunleashed.org/2014/10/8-emotional-patterns-can-disturb-inner-peace.html

The common theme with all this emotion is that they are negative emotions and it is based on the differentiation that there is a substantial self and hence also others. If we focus on the differentiation of self and others we will develop these emotions that will make us spiral down the road of more suffering.

However, if we focus on the similarities of the the "self and others" and even better that others are infinitely more in numbers and the self is only one, then paradoxically, we will find happiness and alleviate this emotions.

Andrea Keating

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 10:09:08 AM »
Thank you for your sharing cookie!  Short breathing meditation daily is a good way to strengthen our mind so that it can be controlled and let go when such thoughts arise in our mind.

gbds3jewels

• Email
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 12:39:42 AM »
1. Feeling Unforgiving Towards Others
Why spend so much emotional energy holding on to the past. The person you trying so hard not to forgive probably didn't waste any thoughts or energy on the matter or on you. It is most likely just a one sided suffering on your part. What are you trying to achieve because it definitely doesn't bring you any happiness by not forgiving others.

2. Easily Frustrated with Small Matters
Being petty is a horrible and sad way to live.

3. Sadness and Depression
A form of deluded self indulgence.

4. Anxiety Prone
Fear of our weakness being exposed.

5. Negatively Judging Others
A distraction to divert attention from our own faults and shortcomings.

6. Jealous Behaviour
This is your low self esteem manisfesting itself.

7. Holding Onto Guilt
Guilt is just another form of self pity. Self pity is a reflection of selfishness.

8. Often Feeling Offended
The world is NOT out to get you. Trust me, people are too busy being self centered instead of wasting time offending you. Not everything is about you.

grandmapele

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 08:51:39 AM »
Matibhadra, your reference -  "short-lived, delusional feeling of relief, but actually will make things even worse, increasing our debt and guilt feeling" - is quite humorous yet on point. It is just a relief that we will feel but does nothing to absolve the matter.

As for the 'evil dalie', by even mentioning your reference disturbs me not because of fanaticism or anything pro or against. Just that I'm a beginner and trying very hard to not say anything negative about anybody. As I said, trying very hard and failing...lol... But, just for a clear understanding of your point of view, is it ok to call anybody evil? I thought we have to practice being kind and positive?

SabS

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 09:35:53 PM »
Thank you all for your interesting discussion on the 8 emotional patterns with the helpful anti-dotes given. However on point 4 by Matibhadra was a little confusing to me.

4. Anxiety Prone - Think about death and impermanence, and cool down.

Being already anxiety prone, wouldn't thinking of death make the person more anxious & panicky? I would have thought that to focus outwards rather than the self would be a better choice? Focus outwards towards helping others, we will pay less attention to our ego & whatever matters causing the anxiety. Maybe someone could please help clarify more on this point? Thank you.