Author Topic: How to Reverse the Damage Done?  (Read 8095 times)

psylotripitaka

How to Reverse the Damage Done?
« on: December 22, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »
Dear friends,

I am curious what you think of how, even if the ban is lifted, the damage will be reversed?

I am thinking particularly of the fact that the Dalai Lama and others such as Lama Zopa have emphatically given their people reasons and grizzley stories about how bad our Protector is. Even if they lift the ban, this does not mean their people will change their view or actions. It is baffling to me how for instance, we could be so unquestioningly enamored by someone that our common sense and ability to use logic becomes totally incapacitated. For instance, how could we read Lama Zopa's write up against the Protector on lamayeshe archive and not see all the contradictions? Now even if they lift the ban and say to respect others and act in accordance with the Dharma, what do you think will really happen? And what work do you think we will need to do to reverse the damage that's been done especially to people's view?

It is in a certain light the same as the mental trauma and resentment harbored by people such as the Isreali's and Palestinian's, where damage has been done that is very hard to forget or forgive, and it therefore continues to fuel actions that perpetuate the negative cycle. Do you think this will be the same? What's the solution?

xyz_generation

Re: How to Reverse the Damage Done?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 06:30:05 PM »
1st- CTA should stand out and admit the decision on banning Dorje Shugden practice was a wrong decision made by them. 
2nd- CTA should officially recognize  Dorje Shugden practice.
3rd- CTA should host more gathering among  Dorje Shugden practitioners  with those which are not, we hope by doing this, with the help of mutual understandings and interactions, this will heal the trauma among them.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »
Do you not think people will lose faith in the Dalai Lama, Lama Zopa and others if they turn around and say they made a mistake, that the stories of the Protector harming people weren't true, that all of a sudden DS is a Buddha?

Did people change their view and actions just because the 5th Dalai Lama said he made a mistake and subsequently wrote a praise and built a temple for the Protector? Where did the belongings and lineage of our precious Tulku go? Did various camps not still harbor negative views and actions that finally saw their day in 1996 through a supposed propagator of loving kindness, compassion, and wisdom installing the ban? How long ago did the 5th live, yet here we are in 2013 and it has become a world wide epidemic of non-virtue under veil of denial.

Anyone else have further ideas to help healing after the ban lifts? Pardon me if this has already been discussed at length, I haven't read about it yet.

thor

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »
Why would you say that? The Dalai Lama and Lama Zopa previously were strong practitioners and proponents of Dorje Shugden, and then they turned against him. Yet people followed blindly and didn't lose faith. So if the Dalai Lama and Lama Zopa do it again, turn around on their words and now promote Dorje Shugden, what makes you think the Tibetans won't follow what he says? Seriously, the whole reason the ban has lasted as long as it has is BECAUSE THE TIBETANS DONT QUESTION WHAT THE DALAI LAMA SAYS!

So enough ranting.

I dare say, you don't have to worry about repairing the damage after the ban is lifted. The Dalai Lama did a decent job of concocting a ban that would stand up to all casual examination - in fact, opposition to the ban is limited to pockets of those with knowledge, while most of the world idly sits by applauding the Nobel Peace Prize-winning Dalai Lama not being sufficiently aware of the ban that he imposed, but most likely having heard of the name Dorje Shugden in passing. And when the ban comes down, that's when dorje Shugden will be seen and heard far and wide around the world in his full glory.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 08:41:01 PM »
Excellent reply Thor. I pray you're right.

Thank you for dismissing my considerations as ranting. Very helpful getting to the point.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 09:13:20 PM »
Actually I am not too concerned about whether the "damage" to Dorje Shugden's name and reputation can be repaired post ban. To those who know about the truth regarding the Protector, there is no damage as such. As for those who have obeyed the ban blindly, they will again follow blindly when the ban is removed.

What I am concerned about is the mass of bad karma that those who have opposed Shugden would have accumulated for themselves. We have seen opponents of the protector perform the heinous act of creating schism within the sangha, we have seen them curse and disparage a Buddha and we have witnessed how many have caused harm to be inflicted on innocent monks and lay practitioners alike. We have heard accounts of how statues and images of Dorje Shugden have been destroyed and we know that many monks were forced to disrobe as the result of severe punishments by anti-Shugden groups and individuals.

Not that Dorje Shugden will seek vengeance and punish them but these terrible acts must surely yield dire consequences for the perpetrators.

The important question is how these people can reverse or mitigate the damage they have create for themselves.

dondrup

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »
The ban on Dorje Shugden has caused immeasurable mental and physical damage to many especially to the Tibetans in exile.  It is impossible to reverse the damage which had occurred since the outset of the ban. How do you compensate for all the emotional pain, agony, anguish, suffering, anger, disappointment, fear, panic, worry, etc that had arisen? How do you compensate for all the financial loss? How do you compensate for the loss of lives?

In the conventional sense, His Holiness Dalai Lama appears to be wrong about the ban! However, how could HHDL be wrong if He is an emanation of Chenrezig who is fully enlightened, omniscient and compassionate? From the perspective of a pure view, HHDL seems to have a higher purpose in imposing the ban. It could be for the overall wellbeing of the Dorje Shugden Lineage and followers. Currently we don't have the wisdom to know why HHDL had initiated the ban and fully understood HHDL's intention.

It is not the case with Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) and those who had ignorantly supported the ban! They will unfortunately bear the  consequences of their negative actions!

It will take a while after the ban is lifted  before Shugden followers can totally forget about their sufferings over the last 30 years.

Matibhadra

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 07:06:46 PM »
From the perspective of a pure view, HHDL seems to have a higher purpose in imposing the ban.

From the perspective of a pure view, the dalai entity violated the most essential Buddhist precept, which is respect for one's guru, the foundation of all good qualities, and therefore does not even qualify as a Buddhist.

Currently we don't have the wisdom to know why HHDL had initiated the ban and fully understood HHDL's intention.

Actually what is lacking is wisdom to understand the most basic Buddhist principles, and thus to stop being fooled by non-Buddhist vow-breakers.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 01:44:34 AM »
For reasons unknown Lama Zopa has decided to go against his teachers, and brought all his people along that course.

I feel once the ban is lifted and Kopan and FPMT does Ds practice again, Lama Zopa's followers will follow suit. similarly for Dalai Lama's followers I believe. If the people have gratitude for their lamas teachings I think they will just toe the line. All will be revealed soon enough.

sandra

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 02:09:37 AM »
I come to read about that "Tibetans don't question about what Dalai Lama says". This really make me contemplate more. Actually is funny that we became a genuine Buddhist and not heading to wise direction. How can we gain wisdom if we don't think and question but just follow blindly? Of cause the ban can be imposed by someone like HH Dalai Lama, but a true practitioner need to justify it instead of just follow. My question is do we need to wait for HH Dalai Lama to lift the ban after knowing that a lot of question marks raised relating to the ban? If we know it the ban was actually wrong, stop doing anything whereby will worst the scenario. Don't create any disharmony among the Buddhist practitioners. But before HH Dalai Lama ready to stand up to lift the ban, we should respect each other's practice and be at peace all the time. Do it now to reduce any damages and avoid negative consequences for over acting. I always believe that the true Buddhist practitioners can forgive and forget whatever damages had been done.

Matibhadra

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 03:26:36 AM »
Currently we don't have the wisdom to know why HHDL had initiated the ban and fully understood HHDL's intention.

Actually what is lacking is wisdom to understand the most basic Buddhist principles, and thus to stop being fooled by non-Buddhist vow-breakers.

Or, in other words, what is lacking is the wisdom to realize that the emperor has no clothes, and there is no “bigger picture” than just that, as many people have been fooled into believing, just like in Andersen's tale.

brian

• Email
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 10:11:01 AM »
Damage done will not be able to be reversed, i am sure. It is going to be very important for The Dalai Lama to lift the ban immediately to end the sufferings for our fellow Dorje Shugden practitioners.

But it will be good if CTA can at least redeem back their wrong doings such as:
1. Openly apologise to all the harmed ones
2. Redeem the harmed Dorje Shugden devotees whichever way they can.
3. Reunite the Tibetans and to continue voice for the freedom of Tibetans (especially their religious beliefs)

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »
Just like what the others say. If these high lams are going to step out saying that they are wrong, definitely there will be some followers that will lose their trust towards these high lamas. But if they do so, I believe that many would accept their apology and also understand that the Dalai Lama has banned the practice for Dorje Shugden  for a period of time for a greater reason.

Although what is being said and done may not "repair" what is already damaged, but I believe that it does help in the situation by a little bit.

Best thing that should be done now is for the CTA to stop spreading so many false accusations about how negative Dorje Shugden practices are.

Manisha Kudo

• Email
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 05:17:16 AM »
Thank you for bringing up this issue for discussion. I have been thinking about this as there are no actions that are without repercussions. This is samsara, ruled by karma. Yes, while I agree that the Tibetans may just follow their leader blindly, would it benefit them if they continuously live in ignorance like a flock of sheep or should they be encouraged to think and analyze for themselves? If the crux of Tibetan Buddhism is mind transformation, then, unless the so-called blinded Tibetans open their eyes, where is the change that the lifting of the ban is meant to inculcate?  ???

We should try to at least look at the hard work and dedication of the Bodhisatvas, Dorje Shugden and the Tulkus who return to partake in this illusionary play. For example, we use the phrase "lifting the ban" sparingly or ferociously. But what does it mean to you individually? How would it affect you on the deepest level, in your metamorphosis of Buddhahood. Because unless we feel the passion and sincerity to practice Dorje Shugden, discussions on this forum are mere intellectual exercises. If our practice, studies and understanding of Dorje Shugden are clear and pure, then, the lifting of the ban comes very naturally. We will stand and fight for what we truly believe in. We won't need to be cajoled, praised, pushed, threatened or be told to do so.

In short, maybe, this is just my humble opinion that the folly of the Tibetans could be just reflection of our intellectual ignorance. To reverse the damage, we transform ourselves by practicing the 3 principle paths of Lama Tsongkhapa, the 4 noble truths as illuminated by Shakyamuni Buddha. Always go back to the purpose of our King Protector. He protects the doctrine of Nagarjuna, the Middle Way. By diligently practicing them in our daily life, aren't we already starting to lift the ban and reverse any apparent damage?  ;D 

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 09:47:09 AM »
I don't think that the damage can be reversed for a long time. I have personally not been able to understand the maze of Tibetan politics which are prevalent in Tibetan Buddhism. Whatever the reasons are for the ban, it can be justified that it is for the 'greater good', but personally, I am continuously finding it more and more difficult to accept that because of the hypocrisy and harm that has come about because of this ban.

Should the ban be lifted, it would be fantastic, but there really cannot be a positive outcome. People who followed the Dalai Lama blindly would be confused. Those who kept their faith in Dorje Shugden may feel relieved to be able to practice freely - but what was all the decades of struggle and strife all about? Is it karma? What kind of karma comes from practising a deity who is deemed a Buddha? Is the ban nonsensical? If it is, then everything the Dalai Lama says is nonsensical. We cannot be selective and say he is a Buddha here but he is not there. Or are we supposed to blindly have faith too that the Dalai Lama knows better?

I am still holding onto what HH Trijang Rinpoche said about not losing faith in the Dalai Lama nor Dorje Shugden, but it really does not make sense.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being