Author Topic: Basic Goodness or Original Sin?  (Read 4089 times)

sonamdhargey

Basic Goodness or Original Sin?
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »
Basic Goodness or Original Sin?

By Chögyam Trungpa

Buddhist psychology is based on the notion that human beings are fundamentally good. Their most basic qualities are positive ones: openness, intelligence and warmth. Of course this viewpoint has its philosophical and psychological expressions in concepts such as bodhichitta (awakened mind), and tathagatagarbha (birthplace of the enlightened ones). But this idea is ultimately rooted in experience—the experience of goodness and worthiness in oneself and others. This understanding is very fundamental and is the basic inspiration for Buddhist practice and Buddhist psychology.

Coming from a tradition that stresses human goodness, it was something of a shock for me to encounter the Western tradition of original sin. It seems that this notion of original sin does not just pervade western religious ideas. It actually seems to run throughout Western thought as well, especially psychological thought. Among patients, theoreticians and therapists alike there seems to be great concern with the idea of some original mistake, which causes later suffering—a kind of punishment for that mistake. One finds that a sense of guilt or being wounded is quite pervasive. Whether or not such people actually believe in the idea of original sin, or in God for that matter, they seem to feel that they have done something wrong in the past and are now being punished for it.

The problem with this notion of original sin or mistake is that it acts very much as a hinderance to people. At some point it is of course necessary to realize one’s shortcomings. But if one goes too far with that, it kills any inspiration and can destroy one’s vision as well. So in that way, it really is not helpful, and in fact it seems unnecessary.

According to the Buddhist perspective there are problems, but they are temporary and superficial defilements that cover over one’s basic goodness (tathagatagarbha). This viewpoint is a positive and optimistic one. But, again, we should emphasize that this viewpoint is not purely conceptual. It is rooted in the experience of meditation and in the healthiness it encourages. There are temporary, habitual neurotic patterns that develop based on past experience, but these can be seen through. It is just this that is studied in the abhidharma, the Buddhist teachings on psychology: how one thing succeeds another, how volitional action originates and perpetuates itself, how things snowball. And, most importantly, abhidharma studies how through meditation practice this process can be cut through.

The attitude that results from the Buddhist orientation and practice is quite different from the “mistake mentality.” One actually experiences mind as fundamentally pure, that is, healthy and positive, and “problems” as temporary and superficial defilements. Such a viewpoint does not quite mean “getting rid” of problems, but rather shifting one’s focus. Problems are seen in a much broader context of health: one begins to let go of clinging to one’s neuroses and to step beyond obsession and identification with them. The emphasis is no longer on the problems themselves but rather on the ground of experience through realizing the nature of mind itself.

When problems are seen in this way, then there is less panic and everything seems more workable. When problems arise, instead of being seen as purely threats, they become learning situations, opportunities to find out more about one’s own mind, and to continue on one’s journey.

Through practice, which is confirmed by study, the inherent healthiness of your mind and others’ minds is experienced over and over. You see that your problems are not all that deeply rooted. You see that you can make literal progress. You find yourself becoming more mindful and more aware, developing a greater sense of healthiness and clarity as you go on, and this is tremendously encouraging.

Source:http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1662&Itemid=0

DS Star

Re: Basic Goodness or Original Sin?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 04:54:23 PM »
Thank you for this excellent article.

Buddhists' teachings on "one’s basic goodness (tathagatagarbha)" , in my opinion, by far more superior than the fear tactic of "Original Sin" and "God's wrath" that Christianity taught...

"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him." John 3.36

"For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." - 2 Corinthians 5.21

"If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned." - John 15.6

In contrary, Buddhism taught about "one's Basic Goodness" or sometimes known as "Buddha's Nature" i.e. the potentiality to realize Buddhahood through Buddhist practices.

For Buddhists, the "Evil" or "evil action" was not caused by any outside force like demon or satan, rather it was explained as one's own "temporary and superficial defilement that cover over one’s basic goodness (tathagatagarbha)"

The term 'tathagatagarbha' is generally taken as to mean that the "garbha" of a 'Tathagata' exists in all sentient beings without exception, and though temporarily contaminated by adventitious defilement ('agantukaklesa'), it is the cause which eventually leads sentient beings to enlightenment.

Q

Re: Basic Goodness or Original Sin?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:53:10 PM »
Very interesting article, and very wise.

I was brought up with Christian ideas, being that my Grandmother is Christian, the idea of 'sin' is very much ingrained in my upbringing. While growing up, I have never really felt close to Christianity, which is why I never pursued to learn further... although at one point of time while I was finding for a purpose of life I did explore the Christian faith, but it never really answered the questions I needed so I dropped that after awhile.

Despite being from a background that, although we do not quote verses from the bible, the ethics of Christianity is there... and I never realized how this ideas affected me until I came to know about Buddhism and started comparing details from documentaries that I watched. I had my ups and downs, and I wanted to know that I was in the right track, as silly as it may sound.

So what is it about the Christian ideas of sin and God has to do with how we live our lives? We live life in accordance to the 10 commandments and to ensure God is in favor with us... while sinning will prevent us from being in the kingdom of god and in return we receive punishment over our 'wrong doings'.

People don't really think much about how these ideas affect us, but if we look closely at countries or governments that apply the concept of sin and God... sometimes, they truly take matters in their own hands and punish people that has done wrong, and I'm not talking about jail term, but really... literally punish.

Take for example, I have watched a video of such a country, where the punishment for stealing is sawing the 'guilty' person's hands off... and if they run away when they were caught, their legs get sawed off too. Most of the time, these 'guilty' people are merely children... I'd say from the video I saw, they barely are in their teens. This is truly something that disgusted me about the idea of sin... on top of that, I never really believed there is a divine being capable of wiping away our sins if we praise this being... too much ego and punishment... something that I do not wish to be involved in or have any connection with.

I do not think Christianity is wrong, but I do believe that people has corrupted the religion for whatever reason, I dont know... but definitely for their own personal agenda... or else how can some benefit from the church and others do not? What happened to equanimity? Religion that do not provide this very basic protection, is probably man made, although it may initially originate from something divine.

The idea of Buddhism certainly is appealing. When we speak of wrong actions, we don't talk about a divine being punishing us as a form of 'revenge' due to our in-obedience to a superior being... but it is all because of the law of cause and effect. What you sow is what you reap is far more logical than being punished...

I have yet to see a Buddhist practitioner that feel guilt in their actions... because they know about karma. Karma don't make you guilty... it makes you take responsibility of your actions and everything you do is neither wrong or right, but with your own logic... is this the cause you wish to plant so that you receive the same in the future? It's your decision, your life, your enlightenment, your spirituality... you decide, and it is not something for a divine being to reprimand you.