Author Topic: Buddha Pears!  (Read 12307 times)

Galen

• Email
Buddha Pears!
« on: August 04, 2012, 02:14:10 PM »
The Peaceful Pears.
A farmer in China is successfully growing pears in the shape of the Buddha.
This is very interesting and more ways are being created to market ordinary items into something more in demand. So with this Buddha shaped pear, would you eat it? Would it be like eating a Buddha image? What would this mean?

It is nice to offer up to the Buddha as offering but if you cut it up to eat, would it be like destroying a Buddha image? Would there be bad karma created? Something to ponder.

(Reuters) - Craving a slice of immortality? A Chinese farmer is taking a leaf out of a Chinese classic about eternal life and growing pears shaped like babies, hoping his unusual idea will get his business blooming.

In the classic novel "Journey to the West," an imaginary fruit in the shape of a baby makes all who eat it live forever.

Farmer Hao Xianzhang, who owns an orchard in northern Hebei province, is turning fiction into fact by attaching baby-shaped fiberglass and plastic moulds to young pears for six months.

"People called me crazy. They said I was whimsical and it was impossible to grow baby-shaped fruits. They told me to stop wasting my time and money," said Hao, who has sold nearly all the 18,000 pears he has cultivated for a hefty 50 yuan ($7) a piece.

The idea to shape pears first struck Hao some six years ago, when he saw jelly molded into different forms at a supermarket.

Keen to standing out in the crowded fruit market, Hao kept working with different moulds until he struck upon the perfect one. News of his first successful harvest attracted hordes of visitors -- and buyers -- to the orchard.

"My boss sent me over to see if it's true. Now I see it's really true and it's really amazing. We will order some for our store," said 21-year-old Hao Zhonghua, who works for a supermarket in the provincial capital Shijiazhuang.

Hao said he has already received orders for some 70,000-80,000 pieces of fruit for next year.

He also hopes to export his fruit overseas and won't be limiting himself to babies -- Hao said he hopes to cater to Western tastes by growing pears in the shape of Biblical characters and screen legend Charlie Chaplin.

ilikeshugden

• Email
Re: Buddha Pears!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »
As the article states, the pears are not intentionally shaped as a Buddha. So, if you were to eat them or cut them, it would not necessarily be destroying a Buddha image. The shape is depicted as "baby" shaped.

In the story, "Journey to the West", in which this fruit design was inspired by. The monk did not eat it due to it's similarity to a real baby. I am not sure whether it is because it is due to the motive of eating a "baby" that he did not want to eat it. I am asking because you will not get negative karma for killing a fruit right?

I am actually quite excited as they want to make Charlie Chaplin shaped pears!

biggyboy

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:29:34 PM »
In my opinion, as long as it is a Buddha image be it a fruit is an act of destroying and defacing a Buddha image.  There's karmic implication to this.  Now take this case as a form of "tsa-tsa" making, (in this scenario is a fruit)...a fruit with Buddha image..would you want to eat it, destroy it, or deface it?  You pick. 

Buddhism tells us that there is no escaping karma. It is not something that operates only from Monday to Friday nor from one season to another season; it does not close shop or stop work after 6 pm. Every intention, every thought has karmic consequences.  Every intention, every thought has karmic consequences. Everything happening in one's life is the consequence of some combination of thoughts and intentions one had.

On another hand, I would also view it as a great way to bless one's mind stream with this Buddha shaped fruits! Hmmm...we can use this method to spread Dorje Shugden too!! Just a thought.... :) ;)

lotus1

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »
I would rather use the fruit as offering than to cut it and eat. Though I think most probably there is no negative Karma as it is just a fruit unless we have the motivation that think that we are happily cutting the Buddha when we cut the fruit. However, I would rather not cut it as we are not 100% sure when we are cutting the fruit, our motive is 100% pure. So, it is still best not to cut it.
However, it would be good to be used as an offering to the Buddha. Don’t you think so? :)

brian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:42:23 PM »
I can't believe my eyes! Is this real? This can't be real, can they? I have heard of Buddha images manifesting in stones or rocks but not on pears before. To be honest, this is creative idea by the farmer. Maybe he can grow more of this but personally i don't think Buddhists will actually eat these.

If i am given a choice, i will not eat this but instead will take it home and offer it up onto my personal alter. Such beauty would be a waste if it ends up in our stomach. This is also can be equivalent to destroying Buddha images if we ended up eating those.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »
Since Farmer Hao forced the pears to grow into that shape, he was merely looking at it from a business point of view and since this was rather successful and in the pipeline is a Charlie Chaplin-shaped pear or any Biblical characters.

The pear did not form the shape itself. 

This would make a good offering to the Buddhas but I would not want to offer it to my stomach.  It is akin to swallowing a Buddha image.

so_003

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 04:50:45 PM »
wow...everything is possible with China...

Well as for me I would think cut it. The reason is is that the initial set motivation is already not for prayers used. It was just another selling method and gimmick that businessmen create for sale. I have 3 small doll that I got it from China. when u pour hot water on it, it will pee. The shape of the 3 doll also looked like Budddha.So im pretty sure Buddha don't want us to pray but not trust then what is the point.

Klein

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:08:38 PM »
In my opinion, as long as it is a Buddha image be it a fruit is an act of destroying and defacing a Buddha image.  There's karmic implication to this.  Now take this case as a form of "tsa-tsa" making, (in this scenario is a fruit)...a fruit with Buddha image..would you want to eat it, destroy it, or deface it?  You pick. 

Buddhism tells us that there is no escaping karma. It is not something that operates only from Monday to Friday nor from one season to another season; it does not close shop or stop work after 6 pm. Every intention, every thought has karmic consequences.  Every intention, every thought has karmic consequences. Everything happening in one's life is the consequence of some combination of thoughts and intentions one had.

On another hand, I would also view it as a great way to bless one's mind stream with this Buddha shaped fruits! Hmmm...we can use this method to spread Dorje Shugden too!! Just a thought.... :) ;)

I agree with biggyboy. It is negative karma to deface an Enlightened image. According to the Sutra of the Past Vows of Earth Store Bodhisattva, the following is an account of what happens when you destroy Buddha images.

"Another time the Buddha was walking by Vulture Peak when Devadatta, hoping to crush the Buddha, used his spiritual powers to cause an avalanche. A Vajra knight and guardian spirit of Vulture Peak, named Bei La, used his Vajra pestle to smash one of the large boulders, which was about to hit the Buddha. One of the fragments, however, struck the Buddha’s little toe and cracked a bone. At that very moment a fiery chariot emerged to carry Devadatta alive off to the hells. The retribution incurred by those who burn and destroy images of the Buddha, dismantle temples or ruin stupas is similar."

As such, I would not eat the Buddha shaped pear. I would offer it to the 3 Jewels.

pgdharma

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 03:13:29 PM »
I totally agree with you, biggyboy. We must respect all Buddha images. It is said that even viewing a line drawing of Buddha with an angry mind is enough to plant karmic imprints to actually see the holy form of the Buddha. So I would not want to collect the negative repercussions of cutting and eating a Buddha pear.  However, how about the farmer who molded Buddha’s image in pears? Will he be collecting merits   as according to Lotus Sutra it is said that people who built,  sculpted or carved  Buddha images have  now attained Buddhahood.

Lotus Sutra
"... After Buddhas passed into Parinirvana, there were people who made offerings to Buddhas' relics by constructing trillion kinds of stupas. With gold, silver and crystal, giant clam shells and agates, assorted gems of carnelian and vaidurya, they extensively adorned and secured the stupas with various first-rate treasures in utmost devotion.

There were also some people who built stone mausoleums, of sandalwood and aloe-wood, of hovenia and other timbers, of bricks, tiles, clay, and the like. Moreover, some people piled up the soil in the outdoors to form Buddha-shrines, even some children playfully built up Buddha stupas from sand. Such people and so on have now attained the Buddhahood.

Out of a deep devotion to Buddhas, people who built, sculpted or even carved out Buddha images, have now attained the Buddhahood.

Some made Buddha statues from seven jewels, or with nickel, copper, white tin, or with alloys of lead and tin, or with iron, wood, or again, with clay. Some even coated the statues with resin and lacquer. All of them conscientiously made the Buddha images. Such people and so on have now attained the Buddhahood.

People produced Buddha paintings with diverse colors, meticulously bringing out the noble qualities of Buddhas with artistic skills, either by themselves or by others through their instructions. They have all now attained the Buddhahood.

Even children while playing, might use grass, sticks, brushes, or their finger nails, to draw Buddha images. Such people and so on would gradually be accumulating virtues, fully harnessing their great compassionate hearts. They have now either attained the Buddhahood, or become Bodhisattvas who have liberated incalculable sentient beings ..."

http://www.buddhadordenma.org/lotussutra.php

bambi

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 06:05:13 AM »
They are really cute! I would definitely NOT eat them but offer them on my altar. Anything can happen in China! From poisoned milk powder to pear shaped Buddha! The farmer was just looking for ways to make money and I doubt he is a practicing Buddhist or else he wouldn't have done that. Lets hope he come up with other designs that does not involve any Buddha images for him to make money. I agree with pgdharma that sculpting a Buddha image will collect merits but the person who buy it does not think of it that way. Those people will be destroying the holy images.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 04:14:14 PM »
No, I would not cut or eat Buddha shaped pears. Just as we are taught to regard any image of the Buddha as an actual Buddha, how could I cut a pear shaped like Buddha and then eat it? Just as written by pgdharma, we must respect all Buddha images. If one intends to plant Buddha seeds into the mind of people who sees it, there are many other ways to achieve it such as carvings, sculptures, paintings and jewelery. Making food items in the images of Buddha is a definite no no.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »
He created tiny praying Buddhas out of pears by encasing the young pears in molds while they’re still on the tree. As they grow they have no choice but to take the shape of the spiritual figure. Currently the Buddha pears are sold locally, but the farmer plans to spread the love worldwide. While it would be fun to grab one, it must be something all together amazing to see an orchid of pear trees growing hundreds of tiny Buddhas.

Clever but wouldn't eating it be disrespectful to the buddha's?

Tammy

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
I say we just relax n rejoice tat Buddha's image is being seen by many. A great way to spread Buddhism... Don't have to think too much, this would not turn the pears into satute, or Buddha himself! Trust me on this.
Down with the BAN!!!

RedLantern

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »

Besides the Buddha's toast,Dalai Latte's,now we're featuring Buddha pears.young pears are in plastic mould
like kneeling,praying Buddha with closed eyes.This is a form of fruit manipilation.
As the pears grows,they are restricted by the frame around them,forcing them to take on the shape of 'the spiritual leader.Gao Xian Zhang,a chinese farmer invented this.He has 10,000 of these spiritual fruits which he plans to sell in Europe and Uk.

sonamdhargey

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 04:28:14 PM »
Well it's not a Buddha shaped pear based on the source. It is a baby shaped pear which it was based on a Chinese classic novel depicting an inmaginary Fruit in the shape of a baby Makes all who eat it lives forever. It is a very good marketing gimmick to increase sales though. Anyway, many chinese vegetarian restaurant served mock fish, chicken and others mock meats that really look like the real thing, so does it mean we are killing the real thing? Or is it the motivation is the culprit here?  however even though if it looks like a Buddha, a pear is a pear. Our motivations is most important. If we intentionally destroy a Buddha image then is not good.