Author Topic: Buddha Pears!  (Read 12309 times)

Dorje Pakmo

Re: Buddha Pears!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »
Dear Galen,
Thank you for sharing this.
Very interesting that the technology these days actually allow people to mould their fruits to the shape they desire. In this case a "baby". I don't think the farmer intended the shape of the fruit to be a Buddha, because he said,

"People called me crazy. They said I was whimsical and it was impossible to grow baby-shaped fruits. They told me to stop wasting my time and money,"

Great effort from his side I would say for being so creative in order to meet the ever changing demand from consumers. But I do recommend him doing something more cartoonish like  Sponge Bob Square Pants / Care Bears / Sesame Street Characters or anything else that's cute and easy to shape. This will then encourage the kids to have more fruits  ;)

As to whether eating the fruit will be equal to desecrating a Buddha's image? I personally don't think so. I look at is as a fruit that have a shape of baby and nothing else. It was moulded that way to add appearance to the fruit. As I've mentioned above, for a better and neutral marketing plan, Mr. Hao should adopt doing cartoon characters instead of Christian Saints and other Religious figures. But then again, he'll have to worry about copyright issues.... Well, he can always do his own cartoon or animal figures  ;D
DORJE PAKMO

Tenzin K

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 03:59:55 PM »
Our action we always check with our intention or objective.

I personally would not eat any figure resembling the Buddha images as I always make prayers and seeing Buddha images is something blessed to me.
Referring to the article I believe it’s not meant to be a Buddha shape but more like a kids folded hand. I really hope they will not mold a Buddha shape as it doesn’t look good in cutting it.

The Buddha of course will not punish us for this but it always come back to us on what we see as we cut the fruits.

ratanasutra

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »
I glad to read that it a baby shape not a buddha shape or else could not imagine when people eat this pears.
But even that when i think about to cut this baby shape of pear, it also quite terrible to imagine... Human are very creative, from red watermelon we have yellow water melon etc..and now baby shape pear..

I just wondering that if this is a buddha shape pear, Would it plant the Dharma seed to people who see it?