Author Topic: "My Reincarnation" Documentary  (Read 14867 times)

Big Uncle

"My Reincarnation" Documentary
« on: June 22, 2012, 08:09:52 PM »
"My Reincarnation" Documentary Focuses On Tibetan Buddhism And Identity In One Family
Watch the trailer to this documentary at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/19/buddhist-father-son-struggle-gives-life-to-reincarnation-documentary_n_1606229.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

Imagine that thousands of people - including your father - recognized you as the reincarnation of a great Buddhist master. But you wanted no part of it.

Yeshi Norbu is the son of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche (a Tibetan Buddhist term for teacher that means "precious one"). Yeshi was born in Italy, where his father fled after the Chinese takeover of Tibet in 1959.

At a young age, Yeshi is told that he is the reincarnation of his great-uncle, a famed Buddhist master who died in a Chinese-run jail. But Yeshi is more interested in becoming a Western businessman than a spiritual leader.

Seeing Tibetan culture fray under communist China's grip, Namkhai pressures his son to preserve what is left by studying and teaching Buddhism - and embracing his role as a recincarnated master.

Veteran documentary filmmaker Jennifer Fox, who also worked as Namhkai's private secretary, captures the father-son struggle over the course of 20 years in the POV film "My Reincarnation." It will be broadast June 21 on PBS.

"For all that is so interesting about Tibetan Buddhism in today's world, I was always drawn to the universal father-son struggle," Fox said. "What is extraordinary for Yeshi is that questions of personal identity become entagled in the fate of a 2,500 spiritual tradition."

Positive Change

Re: "My Reincarnation" Documentary
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:09:27 AM »
He actually goes by the name Khyentse Yeshe (Yeshi Silvano Namkhai) and was born in Italy in 1970, received Christian and Buddhist education, studied (philosophy and computer science) and worked in the field of modern technologies.

His Holiness the Sakya Trizin recognized Yeshi as the reincarnation of Chögyal Namkhai Norbu's (Khyentse Yeshe's father) maternal uncle Khyentse Rinpoche Chökyi Wangchug giving the name Jamyang Chökyi Nyima. In 2007 he went to Tibet and accepted his duty to help and support monastery in central Tibet.

Recently more and more he is dedicating his life to the future of Dzogchen Community founded by CHNN, following his Teacher's instruction and fulfilling Students wishes.

Khyentse Yeshe has an open and simple way to teach, he promotes fresh and spontaneous interest talking directly and helping students to enter the essence of Buddhist teachings and to discover their real nature.

Khyentse Yeshe's story is narrated by director J. Fox in the movie  MY REINCARNATION.

Very hip, interesting and well designed website of Khyentse Yeshe: http://khyentseyeshe.com/

diamond girl

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 11:11:17 AM »
In Buddhism it is taught about reincarnation and accepted. But, some other religions may not preach this. However, now science seems to show reincarnation is not just a Buddhist thing:

Reincarnation -evidence of past lives Small | Large

Reincarnation - evidence of past lives

I have a question, what happens to karma when one is recognized as the previous reincarnation, but denies it and does nothing? Is it negative karma? What happens here.... 

Midakpa

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »
According to the information in his official website, Khyentse Yeshe seems to be following in his father's footsteps. Like Namkhai Norbu, he is a Dzogchen master. He gives lectures in many countries and also teaches in several universities. Being born in the West and exposed to Western civilisation, it is natural his approach in the diffusion of Buddhist teachings will be different from that of his father. One has to adapt the teaching to the country's culture and customs. For me, he is one of reincarnations of Buddhist masters who took rebirth outside Tibet and are spreading Buddhism throughout the world. Khyentse Yeshe has travelled to 23 countries to give talks on Tibetan Buddhism!

Dorje Pakmo

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 01:32:51 PM »
I think this will be an interesting documentary to watch and many good points to be contemplated. There should be many details as on WHY? Khyentse Yeshe (Yeshi Silvano Namkhai) did not want any part of being the great master whom many recognized as the reincarnation of his father’s uncle Khyentse Rinpoche Chökyi Wangchug, a famous Dzogchen master who died after the Chinese invaded Tibet.
HOW he was brought up by his father, Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche who is a much respected teacher and HOW did he come to term with his father, himself and his spirituality.

With great patience and determination to convey spirituality in her documentary, Jennifer Fox filmed the life of her Guru Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche and somehow 1988, also began filming his son Yeshi, starting from age 18. This documentary took 20 years of effort to shoot and finish telling a story of a reincarnated Lama who comes to term with his destiny after having many years of just wanting to be left to be an ordinary businessman with a normal family. I think myself and many will be able to learn from watching this amazing documentary :).
DORJE PAKMO

RedLantern

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 04:22:19 PM »

My incarnation is an epic father and son drama,spanning two decades and three generation about spirituality,cultural survival,identity,inheritance,family,growing old.growing faith,meditation,religion,magic ,Buddhism ,Dzogchen-and past and future lives,The film follows the renouned reincarnate Tibetan spiritual master.Chogyal Namkhai Norbu,as he struggles to save his spiritual tradition,and his Italian born so Yeshi ,who stubbornly refuse to follow his father's footsteps.
Fox said "what is extraordinary for Yeshi is that questions of personal identity become entangle in the fate of 2,500 .

bambi

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 08:44:42 AM »
In a way, I think it is somehow related to this post http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=2047.0

Although the son does not want to continue to be spiritual and rather be in the secular world in the beginning, but look in the end, he is teaching and travelled to almost 23 countries and gave more than 100 lectures. He is carrying on his father/teacher's wishes to teach.

Recently more and more he is dedicating his life to the future of Dzogchen Community founded by CHNN, following his Teacher's instruction and fulfilling Students wishes.

Dzogchen Teachers abide in the self-perfected state of all beings (Dzogchen) and transmit this living knowledge directly to those who are interested.

There are more to read about here http://tsegyalgar.org/

Jessie Fong

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:16:50 AM »
Yeshi Norbu may have resisted when he was young, struggling to find his niche in the modern business society, not wanting to be part and parcel of monastic life.  It did take him a long while to accept his position as a reincarnated master.

This movie will be interesting to watch as we see how the story unfolds of the father trying to impress upon his son the importance of continuing the tradition, of how the young man is torn between the business world and the spiritual life, of how he came to terms with himself and take on the role of a teacher.

He took the right path in listening to his teacher and carrying out his wishes.

Big Uncle

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 03:25:21 PM »
Yeshi Norbu may have resisted when he was young, struggling to find his niche in the modern business society, not wanting to be part and parcel of monastic life.  It did take him a long while to accept his position as a reincarnated master.

This movie will be interesting to watch as we see how the story unfolds of the father trying to impress upon his son the importance of continuing the tradition, of how the young man is torn between the business world and the spiritual life, of how he came to terms with himself and take on the role of a teacher.

He took the right path in listening to his teacher and carrying out his wishes.

Actually for some strange reason, this Tulku's struggle with his dilemma as a spiritual teacher and his business life mirrors what most of us go through with our own spiritual practice. All of us experience inner and outer obstacles right from the moment we enter the Dharma.

For a few, the obstacles can be physical like accidents, living very far away from a qualified Guru and so forth. For others, the obstacles can be inner ones like what this Tulku is facing. The moment we encounter obstacles along our spiritual path, it is a clear sign that we are going the right way and we shouldn't give up. For all of us, who are blessed with the right conditions to meet the Dharma can overcome any obstacle. It is just the matter of how we apply the Dharma to our daily lives.

Hence, in order to avoid being lead astray by obstacles, we propitiate Dorje Shugden, who has a large meandering sword that cuts asunder obstacles and a vajra hook to hook in the right conditions so we are never led astray. When we deep problems, it is always good to engage in an intense retreat on Dorje Shugden for an answer or a solution to arise.

Dhiman

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »
In the statement of recognizing Steven Seagal as a tulku, Nyingma master Penor Rinpoche made a point whereby a tulku needs to complete a formal course of training which includes years of study and meditation. This training reawakens the tulku's powers of insight and compassion and develops their skillful means for helping others. It is only after such training that a tulku is ready to take on the role of a teacher.

It is mentioned that Yeshi Norbu is more interested in pursuing his secular dreams and lead a normal human life than taking up his spiritual role as a reincarnated lama. Without undergoing the training to recall his past wisdom and knowledge, I believe it would not be possible for him to realize the importance of his tulku status no matter how much merit or imprints he has collected in his past lives. Good to know that his struggle ended up fruitful at the end when he gave up his self-cherishing mind to be enthroned as a lama who will benefit countless of lives.

I think the more admirable point of this documentary is the effort put into shooting it. Director Jennifer Fox spent 20 years to capture the entire father-son struggle while working as Norbu Namkhai's secretary. Not an easy feat I suppose. This just shows to me how Dharma is capable of unlocking powerful potential within individuals who uphold the Buddha's teachings sincerely.

Looking forward to download film since I can't stream it online.