Author Topic: Aung San Suu Kyi delivers Nobel Peace Prize speech... 21 years later!  (Read 12243 times)

Midakpa

Re: Aung San Suu Kyi delivers Nobel Peace Prize speech... 21 years later!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 07:30:18 AM »
Aung San Suu Kyi was interviewed on CNN recently and the thing that impressed me most was how devoted she is to her country and her people. To me, she is completely selfless in her struggle for democracy and human rights in Myanmar. To a question on how she felt about her husband and children living alone in the UK, she said that at least they were living in a free and democratic country. They were better off compared to the Burmese people. Her struggle is not over yet. Although she has won a seat in parliament, the constitution does not allow her to become president in her own country. What she has to do now is to amend the constitution and be elected president. I hope she becomes president and brings political, economic and social progress to her beloved country. What is inspiring about Aung San Suu Kyi is that she is guided by Buddhist values and principles.

Jessie Fong

Re: Aung San Suu Kyi delivers Nobel Peace Prize speech... 21 years later!
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »
Madam Aung San Suu Kyi stood up for her people and her country so much so that she sidelined her own family.  Although she was confined to house arrest for such a long period, she never gave up fighting her cause for her people.

She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize 21 years ago but she was not there to receive it.  She would not and could not risk the journey at the cost of her country.  But her persistence saw her through all the difficult times.

It helped that she had a religious background and being in a country that is so steeped in Buddhism. How did she keep sane, what pushed her on .... it must have been love ....