Author Topic: Documentary on Tulkus  (Read 14894 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Documentary on Tulkus
« on: October 21, 2011, 07:06:15 AM »
I'm trying out the new embed youtube video feature.

Also, this is a fascinating topic on Western Tulkus. Tulku is a documentary film about young people caught between the modern culture they were born into and the ancient Tibetan Buddhist culture from which they were reborn. They are Western tulkus ? all of them recognized when they were children as reincarnations of great Tibetan Buddhist masters. Filmmaker Gesar Mukpo is one of them. In this film, he sets out to meet others like him ? young people struggling between modern and ancient, East and West.

TULKU - official trailer

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

iloveds

• An Uncommon Protector Who Can Not Be Silenced
Re: Documentary on Tulkus
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 04:47:45 PM »
I am hanging out to see this movie, i think it will help shed some light on the whole "Tulku" system that has been attacked from all angles.

Gesar Mukpo is the "Tulku" son of Chogyam Trungpa, a controversial Lama of notoriety, and inspiration for Shambala Publications.

http://www.shambhala.com/html/about/history.cfm

Any word on the progress of this film?

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »
Hi Iloveds

I think you can order the DVD of the documentary from here http://www.nfb.ca/film/tulku_trailer

Here's more info on the documentary:

Tulku

Gesar Mukpo was three when he became one of the first people born in the West to be recognized as a tulku - the present-day reincarnation of a Buddhist master. For his entire life, he's been trying to figure out what that really means.

Starting in the mid-1970s, Tibetan teachers - including Gesar's father, Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche - began recognizing Western children as tulkus. Suddenly, a system that had ensured stable spiritual power and authority in Tibetan society for 800 years was transplanted into a completely different culture.

In this intensely personal documentary, Gesar sets out to meet other tulkus to find out how they reconcile modern and ancient, East and West.  Journeying through Canada, the United States, India and Nepal, he encounters four other tulkus who struggle with the meaning of this profound dilemma.

What does it mean to carry on this ancient tradition designed for an old world when you’re living in a completely new one? How will Gesar and other Western tulkus fulfill their destiny?

Tulku was produced as part of the Reel Diversity Competition for emerging filmmakers of colour.  Reel Diversity is a National Film Board of Canada initiative in partnership with CBC Newsworld.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

kurava

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 01:41:10 AM »
Dear WB,
Thanks for this interesting post.

At the end of the clip  Zhongsar Rinpoche said the Tulku System will ruin Buddhism, I wonder why and how?

diamond girl

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 07:24:23 PM »
Dear WB,
Thanks for this interesting post.

At the end of the clip  Zhongsar Rinpoche said the Tulku System will ruin Buddhism, I wonder why and how?

I think that to understand what Zhongsar Rinpoche meant when he said this, would require us to watch the whole documentary. If just by watching the trailer it would be hard to tell. I think that this "statement" was used to instigate viewers to find out more and get the dvd.

It I were to just comment I would say that if these Western Tulkus were to take on their roles and duties as Tulkus at this stage of their lives, it would not be good. They are too absorbed in the different culture and samsara, which would not serve others as they are reluctant to serve.

It would be good to watch the whole documentary... Thank you WB for this video.

Barzin

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »
I got to know this Tulku documentary and have not got a chance to find this DVD or online.  I have seen the trailer and it seems really interesting and I hope I'll get to watch it soon :)

iloveds

• An Uncommon Protector Who Can Not Be Silenced
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »

It's been awhile but here it is! I know others wanting to see it... can't wait for my copy to arrive.

http://www.amazon.com/Tulku-Gesar-Mukpo/dp/B004PWCPPW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322646456&sr=8-1

Klein

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:13:56 AM »
Just watched the trailer. Sounds like Gesar Mukpo is trying to justify why he's still not being a dharma teacher like his previous life. How unfortunate!

dsiluvu

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »
Interesting documentary.

What a smart alternative and very creative way to educate ppl about the Tulku system and actually Buddhism as well. I think Gesar Mukpo has found his niche in the market and a way to reach out to benefit those who are not in to Buddhism or spiritual to watch. ANd there's a lot of them out there.

He said it himself that he is finding a way to benefit ppl in an unconventional way... without the Tulku title. I suppose this is his style now and I think that is totally cool. Attracting samsara with samsara... SMART! Can't wait to watch it when it reaches my city! ;)