Author Topic: What do you like about Buddhism?  (Read 38098 times)

dorjedakini

Re: What do you like about Buddhism?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 08:58:46 AM »
What i like about Buddhism is that it is so logical and most important it teaching can apply to any situation, any period/century we are in. It is so complete that it covers every part of our life just that we do not have the wisdom to understand everything.

It promise us if we follow what the Buddha had taught : Dharma, we can gain full liberation and no suffering and it is UP TO US, not depends on others or outer factor. Buddha taught us what is Karma and once we understand and ACCEPT Karma, we can create the future we want. This is very expiring as it means we will not "stuck" in the same bad situation if we ourselves do something about it.

That's what i like about Buddhism.

Manjushri

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 09:50:41 PM »
What do I like about Buddhism?

To me, before I knew much and practiced, Buddhism to me was a way of life, a philosophical set of rules to help us get by life. I didn't label it as a religion per se.

But to me now, Buddhism is a religion, becuase it increases your faith, and pushes you to be a better person, as does all other religions. It encourages you to make peace, harmony, be loving and kind. What I like about Buddhism is that it gives you a set of advices that is extremely logical in helping you solve the problems in your life. It makes you understand why these problems have arosed and how and what you have to do to deal with it, to understand it.

What I like about Buddhism is that it explains so clearly the laws of cause and effect, that you have to reap what you sow. That no one escapes Karma, whether you believe it or not, for the universal truth of causality, that your actions will result in a consequence makes so much sense. Also, I like how Buddhism is focused on compassion and wisdom - two very basic but extremely vital methods to you leading a life of happiness.

What I like is that you have a way out - your ultimate goal is liiberation, to get out of the cyclic existence of suffering. There is a way out - you just have to follow the footsteps of one who has achieved it.

Klein

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »
I like Buddhism because it is very logical. It has many methods to teach the Truth catering to all types of minds. Buddhism is very practical. Buddhism teaches us to be a kinder and better version of ourselves. Buddhism is empowering.

hope rainbow

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »
What I like about Buddhism?

It is a proven path.
Proven by the historical Buddha and the other and following Buddhas.
I like that, it puts me on the map.

iloveds

• An Uncommon Protector Who Can Not Be Silenced
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 08:07:52 PM »
Buddhism encompasses everything we do, to the point that we can control our own suffering, and if we are really focused help change the sufferings of those around us.

Before Buddhism I would do things that make me happy, that I thought brought me happiness. I chased goals that I thought the outcome would satisfy me right through to my death, after Buddhism it became empty.

The more I read and studied the bio's of masters of the past, the stories of the mahasiddahas, and now the history behind Dorje Shudgen do I feel something changing, shifting.

I don't know what it is but I know it's good, something no other "religion" has brought me.

Onward with the path.

Dolce Vita

• Email
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 02:11:01 AM »
I have always thought Buddhism is not a religion but the way to live our lives. Buddhism tells us it is our choice to be who we want to be, no one can decide for us and no one can take whatever sufferings we have away. We are our greatest saviour and we are also our biggest enemy.

Midakpa

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 02:21:36 AM »
Buddhism has answered a lot of my questions regarding our human existence and the meaning of life. I like to read all types of books from different schools of Buddhism. Like dsiluvu, from my reading of Theravadan literature, I learned that arhats can see beings from other realms and teach them dharma! I'm fascinated by such stories.

But I really like Buddhism because it teaches the truth. The Buddha taught the Four Noble Truths. This is the basis of all Buddhist paths. If we understand the teachings and practice well, we will gain realisations.

KhedrubGyatso

• Email
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 03:06:27 AM »
I will echo world renowned scientist Albert Einstein who declared that although he does not belong to any religion,  if he has to embrace one it would be Buddhism BECAUSE IT WORKS !

Never in the history of Buddhism was a major war fought in its name. We are talking about  a track record of 2,600 years of history, so it has weight. My Guru said that the acid test to validate something or someone's character is through the test of time. Even scientific discoveries fail when subjected to much less time than this.
Eg.  When a brilliant scientist proclaimed the world was flat, and scared the hell out of sea farers, it was debunked rather quickly; when Dalton declared he had discovered the smallest indivisible particle in the universe , it shook the buddhist world for while until destroyer Dalton cut it in half and scientists continue to do so until today.
Frankly, its the scientists ego at work here hoping Buddha is wrong and they won't have to keep splitting things they can't even see. They will not succeed not because they are stupid. They have not realized the truth like Buddha did.

Carpenter

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 05:29:21 PM »
I like Buddhism because I feel that it is simple, easy and logical. I’m not a scholar in Buddhism nor I have a lot of knowledge. It does not lead me to blind faith.

Buddhism also help me to understand that things always happen for a reason and also problems that we have is self created.

Poonlarp

• Email
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 05:44:17 PM »
Buddhism is applicable in ANY situation and it helps in ALL situation, that's why I like it and I would like to share with most of the people around me.

I was a free thinker before, without any enlightening thinking, there's always no firm and convincing answers for question like what is life about? Why earning money is the way to happiness? If I have happiness from money and material thing, why i still feel disappointed all the time? Buddhism answer all that and the knowledge grab my life to a steady ground, which I know where am i heading to.

Positive Change

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 07:37:44 PM »
What I like about Buddhism is that:

1. It is based on a experiential factor which encompasses, thought, action and feeling.
2. It is an individual spiritual path which is different from other "organized religions" which are based on instilling fear and detract from the beauty of their respective original "teachings".
3. It is something very direct, tangible and logical.
4. It teaches us to be responsible for our own actions (karma) and not blame the mystical or "fate".

DSFriend

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »
I am told that Enlightenment exists and there are many who have achieved it.

I am also told that God's heaven (as in the christian faith) exists as a final place of rest, a place without sorrow and all is well there.

I have no self realizations that either one really exists.

However, why I like Buddhism is it's practical, logical and applicable on a daily basis. I cannot change the world I live in, the people and situations which disappoints to the point of breaking ones spirit. Without Buddhism, I'd still be in depression.

Lawrence L

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »
I was an atheist but now im a Buddhist.
Everything changed after i met my Lama. He showed me the Buddhism is something very logical. And I found all the answers which i've been searching for since I was 19. The anwsers i get from the Buddha's teaching never contradict with my lifestyle or the 'nature' of people lives. Buddhism is cater for people in any era, regardless your skin colour or culture. Buddha's teachings answer me about death, teach me about impermanence and compassion and even redefine my life.

These are what I like about Buddhism.  :)

Berry

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »
What I like about Buddhism is, it teaches me to be a better person, selfless, not to lie and steal. It also teaches us to be tolerant and compassion, how to be with others and help them.

It brings me more happiness and peace, and leads me to a happy and perfect life.

bambi

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 05:37:06 AM »
I don't like like Buddhism.... I LOVE BUDDHISM! When I was young, I used to have so many unanswered questions about Buddhism but I couldn't ask anyone I know because they don't know as well. Dharma books in the country where I live were scarce and I had language problems with some of the Dharma books. When I met my root Guru, I was totally blown away by His teachings. He opened up a WHOLE NEW world to an idiot(me)! I knew on the spot that my questions will be answered. It's the logic and happiness that my Guru and Dharma brought me. I never knew life was so beautiful and so much less complicated when I practice what Buddha taught! May I NEVER EVER be separated from the TRUTH in all lives!