Author Topic: Dorje Shugden composed some of the main textbooks used to become a Geshe....  (Read 5960 times)

Big Uncle

Overview of the Gelug Monastic Education System

Tsenzhab Serkong Rinpoche II
Translated and compiled by Alexander Berzin
September 2003

Textbooks

All colleges within the Gelug monasteries follow the commentaries to these texts written by Tsongkhapa and his two main disciples, Gyeltsabjey (rGyal-tshab rJe Dar-ma rin-chen) (1364-1432) and Kaydrubjey (mKhas-grub rJe dGe-legs dpal-bzang) (1385-1438). In addition, each follows one of several textbooks (yig-cha) that developed to explain the fine points. The textbooks differ in interpretation of many details.

The first set of textbooks to develop were written by Jetsunpa Chokyi-gyeltsen (rJe-btsun-pa Chos-kyi rgyal-mtshan) (1469-1544), called "the Jetsunpa textbooks" for short. Ganden Jangtsey (dGa’-ldan Byang-rtse Grva-tshang), Sera Jey (Se-ra Byes Grva-tshang), and Sera Ngagpa Colleges (Se-ra sNgags-pa Grva-tshang) follow them.

The next two sets were written by two disciples of Jetsunpa. According to popular tradition, Jetsunpa asked the two to write commentaries explaining some of the major texts slightly differently than he had, so that future disciples would be able to sharpen their intelligence by debating their discrepancies. One set was written by Kaydrub Tendarwa (mKhas-grub dGe-‘dun bstan-pa dar-rgyas) (1493-1568). They are used by Sera May College (Se-ra sMad Grva-tshang).

The other set was written by Panchen Sonam-dragpa (Pan-chen bSod-nams grags-pa) (1478-1554), called "the Panchen textbooks" for short. They are followed by Ganden Shartsey (dGa’-ldan Shar-rtse Grva-tshang), Drepung Losel-ling (‘Bras-spungs Blo-gsal gling Grva-tshang), and Drepung Ngagpa Colleges (‘Bras-spungs sNgags-pa Grva-tshang).*

A fourth set was written several centuries later by Kunkyen Jamyang-zheypa (the First), Ngawang-tsondru (Kun-mkhyen ‘Jam-dbyangs bzhad-pa Ngag-dbang brtson-‘grus) (1648-1721), called "the Kunkyen textbooks" for short. They are followed by Drepung Gomang (‘Bras-spungs sGo-mang Grva-tshang) and Drepung Deyang Colleges (‘Bras-spungs bDe-dyangs Grva-tshang). Labrang Monastery (Bla-brang dGon-pa) in far-eastern Amdo (founded by Jamyang-zheypa) and most monasteries in Inner and Outer Mongolia, Buryatia, Kalmykia, and Tuva also follow them.

Each of the textbook traditions includes several additional texts written by later scholars.

*Panchen Sonam Drakpa as we all know is Dorje Shugden's previous life. The point is that if one has the ability to elucidate the teachings so well that they are used as textbooks reflect the inner qualities of this master and subsequently this deity protector. Hence, it is further proof of Dorje Shugden's enlightened mind.

kurava

• Email
Thank you Big Uncle for sharing the information on how DS contributed to the spread of dharma by building the Gaden Monastery in his incarnations as Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen and later composing dharma texts as Panchen Sonam Dragpa.

It is very important we have the information because it forms the basis of our faith. Even Dalai Lama himself advised to check out a guru for as long as 12 years before one takes him as one's Guru. However if we wait for 12 years to decide we might not live that long and miss the golden yoke.

As this website provides objective and clear facts to its visitors, I can't help but thank the Administrator & Team of the site again and again for setting this site to help all potential practitioners. You save our time and give impetus to our practice.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:29:08 AM by kurava »

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
Shar Gaden uses all of the texts by Panchen Sonam Drakpa. He even wrote a brilliant text on the history of the Gaden tradition entitled, Religious Histories and Eloquent Speech of Gadenpa. I was fortunate enough to acquire a copy from the monastery. It is about 350 pages long in Tibetan text. I also got a copy of his text on the history of the Kadam tradition.

DSFriend

Shar Gaden uses all of the texts by Panchen Sonam Drakpa. He even wrote a brilliant text on the history of the Gaden tradition entitled, Religious Histories and Eloquent Speech of Gadenpa. I was fortunate enough to acquire a copy from the monastery. It is about 350 pages long in Tibetan text. I also got a copy of his text on the history of the Kadam tradition.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a copy of the text in english. I read in "The Illusory Play" that Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang studied the works of Panchen Sonam Drakpa. I should know about this but I suppose reading it about it gives such a special and warm feeling...

with reverence to the Enlightened Masters
DSFriend

Helena

• Email
Wow, DS Friend, now that is a very powerful thought - to have the text of Panchen Sonam Drakpa translated into English! That would be truly wonderful indeed!

How do we get a copy of it in Tibetan, the original and then get it translated? Can anyone here help?

I would also like to ask you, what is the "The Illusory Play"?

Many many thanks.
Helena

triesa

*Panchen Sonam Drakpa as we all know is Dorje Shugden's previous life. The point is that if one has the ability to elucidate the teachings so well that they are used as textbooks reflect the inner qualities of this master and subsequently this deity protector. Hence, it is further proof of Dorje Shugden's enlightened mind.

I have heard that the oracle who takes trance of Dorje Shugden can give a full discourse of the teachings. This reaffirms that Dorje Shugden is not an evil spirit but an enlightened mind of one of his previous incarnation of Panchen Sonam Drakpa who wrote the text.

There are not too many oracles that can take trance of king Dorje Shugden, does anyone know where they are?

pgdharma

[/quote]
Thank you Big Uncle for sharing the information. It reaffirmed that Dorje Shugden is an enlightened being and not an evil spirit.